Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Is Trumpcare Coming Along?

+11
Cameron
CheesySpartan
InTenSity
Travis of the Cosmos
The_Dude
Watch Out Pylon!
GRR Spartan
DWags
AnomanderRake
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
15 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

How Is Trumpcare Coming Along? - Page 3 Empty Re: How Is Trumpcare Coming Along?

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-03-25, 09:37

https://www.yahoo.com/news/five-takeaways-from-trumps-health-care-crash-and-burn-213929799.html
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

How Is Trumpcare Coming Along? - Page 3 Empty Re: How Is Trumpcare Coming Along?

Post by msugolfguy 2017-03-25, 15:21

For the group of personal responsibility they sure love passing the buck. Talk about a total failure.

I can't believe for 6 years you had time to research and develop a plan. Then you trot out that hot mess. I wonder if ALEC or the Heritage Foundation writer's that Paul Ryan worked with will be fired.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2017-03-25, 21:50

Trump's announcement on health care is one of the most pathetic, embarrassing announcements I have ever seen.

Trying to shift the blame to democrats LOL. Talking about how hard Paul Ryan worked, LOL (More like his lobbyist buddies that drafted the bill). Talking about the ACA imploding with no actual facts to back that statement up. The ACA isn't great, but it's better than what we had previously by a long shot (I can provide proof of this but I don't think that's necessary for this discussion here nor am I a huge defender of the ACA because as you all probably know by now, I prefer single payer hybrid systems).

If the GOP didn't have their heads so far up their asses and the health care/insurance industries' cocks so far down their throats they could ya know just implement a single payer hybrid system like Germany or the UK or Singapore. Take the best of their systems, address the challenges their systems have faced and pass a truly revolutionary health care bill. They would literally be enshrined for decades as geniuses if they did this because not only would it reduce overall costs but it would benefit the majority of the American people at the expense of their corporate overlords and the ultra-wealthy.

But they didn't do this, because they and their special interest masters don't actually give a fuck about their constituents, nor do they have a fucking clue what they're doing when it comes to health care.

Our government is a complete sham and this is phase 2 of the proof. One party has the power to do whatever the hell they want and they can't even be bothered to help the American people. I'm still fucking furious at Democrats for blowing their chance at single payer when Obama was in office, and now the Republicans fucked up their chance as well. Fuck them all.

*Edit* Sorry for the rant but this shit gets me riled up. I need some bourbon.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-03-25, 22:09

AnomanderRake wrote:Trump's announcement on health care is one of the most pathetic, embarrassing announcements I have ever seen.

Trying to shift the blame to democrats LOL. Talking about how hard Paul Ryan worked, LOL (More like his lobbyist buddies that drafted the bill). Talking about the ACA imploding with no actual facts to back that statement up. The ACA isn't great, but it's better than what we had previously by a long shot (I can provide proof of this but I don't think that's necessary for this discussion here nor am I a huge defender of the ACA because as you all probably know by now, I prefer single payer hybrid systems).

If the GOP didn't have their heads so far up their asses and the health care/insurance industries' cocks so far down their throats they could ya know just implement a single payer hybrid system like Germany or the UK or Singapore. Take the best of their systems, address the challenges their systems have faced and pass a truly revolutionary health care bill. They would literally be enshrined for decades as geniuses if they did this because not only would it reduce overall costs but it would benefit the majority of the American people at the expense of their corporate overlords and the ultra-wealthy.

But they didn't do this, because they and their special interest masters don't actually give a fuck about their constituents, nor do they have a fucking clue what they're doing when it comes to health care.

Our government is a complete sham and this is phase 2 of the proof. One party has the power to do whatever the hell they want and they can't even be bothered to help the American people. I'm still fucking furious at Democrats for blowing their chance at single payer when Obama was in office, and now the Republicans fucked up their chance as well. Fuck them all.

Yeah...when Trump said "the best thing politically" would be to let Obamacare explode, that's all anyone needed to know. He's more interested in spinning shit and public perception and lying about whose fault it is, than actually doing something. The best thing politically? How Is Trumpcare Coming Along? - Page 3 502811600 How about what's best for America? How about making America great again, instead of worrying about what's best politically?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-03-26, 07:55

NigelUno wrote:
AnomanderRake wrote:Trump's announcement on health care is one of the most pathetic, embarrassing announcements I have ever seen.

Yeah...when Trump said "the best thing politically" would be to let Obamacare explode, that's all anyone needed to know. He's more interested in spinning shit and public perception and lying about whose fault it is, than actually doing something. The best thing politically? How Is Trumpcare Coming Along? - Page 3 502811600 How about what's best for America? How about making America great again, instead of worrying about what's best politically?

Anybody who thinks trump is president to help the country more than he is to help himself is really delusional
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-03-26, 10:00

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Yeah...when Trump said "the best thing politically" would be to let Obamacare explode, that's all anyone needed to know.  He's more interested in spinning shit and public perception and lying about whose fault it is, than actually doing something.  The best thing politically?  How Is Trumpcare Coming Along? - Page 3 502811600  How about what's best for America?  How about making America great again, instead of worrying about what's best politically?  

Anybody who thinks trump is president to help the country more than he is to help himself is really delusional

Trump's goal is and always has been tax cuts for himself and his businesses.  Specificaly eliminated the Federal estate tax and cutting capital gains taxes. Taxes will be cut, deficits will grow and the GOP will tell us to be patient because lower taxes will increase economic activity.

All that blather about the deficit being important from the GOP over the last 8 years meant nothing.  The tax cuts will help everyone.  Everyone in Trump's family and everyone in his cabinet.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-03-27, 15:55

NigelUno wrote:

To be fair, let's not pretend that those in charge of this country have made very many decisions in the last 250 years that put what's best for the American people/the world ahead of what's best politically. It's the nature of a democratic system.

Also keep in mind that it's politically horrible for him if Obamacare doesn't explode, so if you don't believe that Obamacare is doomed, then you should be happy that he phrased it like this.

For my money, I think this was Trump's plan all along. He never wanted to repeal it. He always wanted to let it die on its own, if even that.

- Rail against Obamacare and promise to repeal it in order to win over the base. Check.
- Once in office, make half-hearted attempt to replace it. Check.
- Back out and put the blame on the Democrats, firing up your base, without touching Obamacare. Check.

That leaves him with a (in his and his base's eyes) a win-win scenario: If Obamacare fails, you're mandated to go in with something--anything--to replace it. If Obamacare doesn't fail, claim forever that your plan would have been better.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 2017-03-27, 16:09

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

To be fair, let's not pretend that those in charge of this country have made very many decisions in the last 250 years that put what's best for the American people/the world ahead of what's best politically. It's the nature of a democratic system.

Also keep in mind that it's politically horrible for him if Obamacare doesn't explode, so if you don't believe that Obamacare is doomed, then you should be happy that he phrased it like this.

For my money, I think this was Trump's plan all along. He never wanted to repeal it. He always wanted to let it die on its own, if even that.

- Rail against Obamacare and promise to repeal it in order to win over the base. Check.
- Back out and put the blame on the Democrats, firing up your base, without touching Obamacare. Check.

That leaves him with a (in his and his base's eyes) a win-win scenario: If Obamacare fails, you're mandated to go in with something--anything--to replace it. If Obamacare doesn't fail, claim forever that your plan would have been better.

That's insane thinking.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-03-27, 18:31

msugolfguy wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

That's insane thinking.

Not at all. Seems like fairly well-reasoned political playcalling from the Trump playbook.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-03-27, 18:32

msugolfguy wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

That's insane thinking.
How so? Talking tough on it helped him get elected. But it's very risky to tear down something that has not failed (even if you expect that it will fail soon), and replace it with your own baby that might also fail. It will just look like he replaced a working (if not perfect) program with a disaster program, and all the shit falls on him. If you're an AD, how bad do you look if you replace an 8-9 win football coach with a guy that looks great to you, but then that ends up going 3-9. Well, you look as bad as Michigan did when they hired RichRod. But if Lloyd went 3-9, and then they fired him, Rich Rod's 3-9 wouldn't have looked as bad. If you're Trump, why risk your legacy and ego to tear down something that is not broken? Please know that I am not justifying Trump, just that I think this posturing by him all along. Then again, I'm cynical on politics and think that all of them, on both sides and in between, are just a bunch of liars an cheats.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AnomanderRake 2017-03-28, 10:04

^ Miami I think you're probably right that Trump never wanted to repeal the ACA. He used to support Universal Health Care. Obviously he would have signed the bill if it had passed to save face but deep down is that what he actually wanted? Probably not and it was just political posturing the entire time.
AnomanderRake
AnomanderRake
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy 2017-03-28, 10:11

MiamiSpartan wrote:
msugolfguy wrote:

That's insane thinking.
How so? Talking tough on it helped him get elected. But it's very risky to tear down something that has not failed (even if you expect that it will fail soon), and replace it with your own baby that might also fail. It will just look like he replaced a working (if not perfect) program with a disaster program, and all the shit falls on him. If you're an AD, how bad do you look if you replace an 8-9 win football coach with a guy that looks great to you, but then that ends up going 3-9. Well, you look as bad as Michigan did when they hired RichRod. But if Lloyd went 3-9, and then they fired him, Rich Rod's 3-9 wouldn't have looked as bad. If you're Trump, why risk your legacy and ego to tear down something that is not broken? Please know that I am not justifying Trump, just that I think this posturing by him all along. Then again, I'm cynical on politics and think that all of them, on both sides and in between, are just a bunch of liars an cheats.

I mean I agree, but that's a huge item in you running next to the wall. It's not like he has 9/11 or a banking crisis to worry about.

I guess it's on Congress, 6 years and that's what they got. Bad look.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-03-28, 10:12

MiamiSpartan wrote:
msugolfguy wrote:

That's insane thinking.

They're all dirty.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-03-28, 10:17

AnomanderRake wrote:^ Miami I think you're probably right that Trump never wanted to repeal the ACA. He used to support Universal Health Care. Obviously he would have signed the bill if it had passed to save face but deep down is that what he actually wanted? Probably not and it was just political posturing the entire time.

I don't think he would have basically threatened Republicans if he didn't want it passed.

I don't think he understands any of it. It's just a game. He thought he could pressure people into supporting him by giving them a hard line deadline.

I don't think he really gives a shit what any new plan does. He just wanted Obamacare repealed for the PR aspect of delivering on a promise. He lost and is now spinning it.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-28, 13:42

my favorite part of Obamacare - despite the fact that it benefits millions of Americans who otherwise would have no access to affordable healthcare - is that even the republicans know that it's a quality plan..

it was easy to run against it during the election, as it relates to their deplorable base, simply because it was inspired by a black guy. Once it came time to "repeal and replace" they couldn't justify it just because of their racist views.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-03-28, 14:49

NigelUno wrote:
AnomanderRake wrote:^ Miami I think you're probably right that Trump never wanted to repeal the ACA. He used to support Universal Health Care. Obviously he would have signed the bill if it had passed to save face but deep down is that what he actually wanted? Probably not and it was just political posturing the entire time.

I don't think he would have basically threatened Republicans if he didn't want it passed.

I don't think he understands any of it. It's just a game. He thought he could pressure people into supporting him by giving them a hard line deadline.

I don't think he really gives a shit what any new plan does. He just wanted Obamacare repealed for the PR aspect of delivering on a promise. He lost and is now spinning it.
Well, GRR said in another thread that, "the GOP didn't let any Democrat see the bill and neither Trump nor Pence ever approached Democrats wanting to see what was needed to get at least 20 votes for the Trump/Ryan healthcare bill."

If that's true, then it certainly doesn't seem like he was putting forth much of an effort to get it passed. His supporters aren't going to blame him for not fulfilling a promise if he puts the blame on the Democrats. It only strengthens their support. And he can forever say his would have been better, because, to borrow a Comparoni line, "the unknown is undefeated".
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-03-28, 14:59

What I meant was prior to seeing the bill when it was presented, there were never any bi-partisan hearings putting together the bill.

After it was presented and the Democratic caucus saw the bill Ryan, VP Pence nor The President ever picked up the phone to attempt to find common ground and make changes acceptable to gain the 25-30 votes required to pass.

The GOP and Trump didn't understand their own party.

GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2017-03-28, 15:13

MiamiSpartan wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Well, GRR said in another thread that, "the GOP didn't let any Democrat see the bill and neither Trump nor Pence ever approached Democrats wanting to see what was needed to get at least 20 votes for the Trump/Ryan healthcare bill."

If that's true, then it certainly doesn't seem like he was putting forth much of an effort to get it passed. His supporters aren't going to blame him for not fulfilling a promise if he puts the blame on the Democrats. It only strengthens their support. And he can forever say his would have been better, because, to borrow a Comparoni line, "the unknown is undefeated".

But, it doesn't strengthen their support. It weakens it. The Republicans campaigned on repealing it.

That's why they are (already) revisiting the issue, after saying they wouldn't.

They know they can't just sit on their hands. They have the power to do something. Doing nothing would be a huge mistake.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-28, 15:13

GRR Spartan wrote:What I meant was prior to seeing the bill when it was presented, there were never any bi-partisan hearings putting together the bill.

After it was presented and the Democratic caucus saw the bill Ryan, VP Pence nor The President ever picked up the phone to attempt to find common ground and make changes acceptable to gain the 25-30 votes required to pass.

The GOP and Trump didn't understand their own party.

you mean the sexual predator has no idea how the American political system works?

I never noticed.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-03-28, 15:15

Robert J Sakimano wrote:my favorite part of Obamacare - despite the fact that it benefits millions of Americans who otherwise would have no access to affordable healthcare - is that even the republicans know that it's a quality plan..

it was easy to run against it during the election, as it relates to their deplorable base, simply because it was inspired by a black guy. Once it came time to "repeal and replace" they couldn't justify it just because of their racist views.

While it is good that it benefits millions of Americans who otherwise would not have access to affordable healthcare, it also still leaves millions in the Coverage Gap. So it's decent, and I don't want to see it repealed, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's quality unless/until they do a better job of addressing the gap.

For example, if someone is below the Federal Poverty Level, they can't get subsidized for their health insurance. Obamacare said that if that's the case, those people should get medicaid. Problem is, the medicaid qualification is a lot lower than the FPL. Ok, so Obamacare tried to address this (or maybe it was separate from the official ACA, I forget), by offering federal funds to states for medicaid expansion. The problem there is that some 19 states turned down these federal funds. Yes, that's on those states' politicians for turning that down. Florida is one of those states, and turned down $66 billion in federal funds over 10 years for medicaid expansion.

Yes, bad on the Florida governor/legislature for turning that down. But here's my problem with that. If Obamacare had earmarked $66 billion over 10 years for Florida expand medicaid for those under the FPL, then why the fuck can't Obamacare then ALLOW residents of Florida and the 18 other states who are below the FPL to get subsidies through the marketplace? Use that $66 Billion that they would have given Florida anyway to help those in the Coverage Gap get insurance. Instead, anyone with an income between 30% and 100% of the FPL, have to pay full, non-subsidized prices for insurance. Oh sure, Obamacare will waive the penalty for not having insurance, but that doesn't solve the problem of those millions of people not having health insurance.

So why don't they allow people in those 19 states that refused the federal medicaid expansion to receive the subsidies? The money is there. So why not? Could it be because Obama's plan was to try to force those states into accepting this, and if they didn't, then he blames the state governments that did not accept it (most, if not all, of which are Republican majorities and/or Governor), so that people would complain and potentially vote against those Republicans? In other words, PLAYING POLITICS instead of doing what's BEST FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE! And absolutely those Republican legislatures and governors are doing the same bullshit.

As I said, Obamacare is decent. I like it. As someone who's technically self-employed, it's benefited me and people I love. But I don't like how it leaves a huge gap with millions of people in a bullshit political tug of war, and both sides are just as much at fault for that.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2017-03-28, 15:30

NigelUno wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

But, it doesn't strengthen their support. It weakens it. The Republicans campaigned on repealing it.

That's why they are (already) revisiting the issue, after saying they wouldn't.

They know they can't just sit on their hands. They have the power to do something. Doing nothing would be a huge mistake.
Right, but what rallies political partisans together more than anything? Fighting the other team.

The passion that Republicans have for repealing Obamacare, tightening immigration, draining the swamp, abortion, etc., will vary from person to person. Not every Republican's hot button is the same. But what they can all get fired up about together is not letting the Democrats win. So if he tells his supporters that he couldn't repeal Obamacare because those pesky Democrats wouldn't let him, even those that were indifferent to Obamacare, will rally behind him saying, "Yeah, them Democrats won't let Trumpster do what he promised. It's THEIR fault."

Now, if they're re-thinking it, maybe they've gotten more pressure to come up with a compromise than expected. But being able to blame the Democrats for something that a Republican can't get done (and vice versa, because it does work both ways) will almost always strengthen support among the base. Just because some want him to compromise doesn't mean that they don't still blame the Dems instead of him for the first one not passing.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-28, 15:30

I would if Trumpcare would cover any infection someone might procure from being urinated on by Russian prostitutes?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-03-28, 15:32

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:my favorite part of Obamacare - despite the fact that it benefits millions of Americans who otherwise would have no access to affordable healthcare - is that even the republicans know that it's a quality plan..

While it is good that it benefits millions of Americans who otherwise would not have access to affordable healthcare, it also still leaves millions in the Coverage Gap.  So it's decent, and I don't want to see it repealed, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's quality unless/until they do a better job of addressing the gap.  

For example, if someone is below the Federal Poverty Level, they can't get subsidized for their health insurance.  Obamacare said that if that's the case, those people should get medicaid.  Problem is, the medicaid qualification is a lot lower than the FPL.  Ok, so Obamacare tried to address this (or maybe it was separate from the official ACA, I forget), by offering federal funds to states for medicaid expansion.  The problem there is that some 19 states turned down these federal funds.  Yes, that's on those states' politicians for turning that down.  Florida is one of those states, and turned down $66 billion in federal funds over 10 years for medicaid expansion.  

Yes, bad on the Florida governor/legislature for turning that down.  But here's my problem with that.  If Obamacare had earmarked $66 billion over 10 years for Florida expand medicaid for those under the FPL, then why the fuck can't Obamacare then ALLOW residents of Florida and the 18 other states who are below the FPL to get subsidies through the marketplace?  Use that $66 Billion that they would have given Florida anyway to help those in the Coverage Gap get insurance.  Instead, anyone with an income between 30% and 100% of the FPL, have to pay full, non-subsidized prices for insurance.  Oh sure, Obamacare will waive the penalty for not having insurance, but that doesn't solve the problem of those millions of people not having health insurance.

So why don't they allow people in those 19 states that refused the federal medicaid expansion to receive the subsidies?  The money is there.  So why not?  Could it be because Obama's plan was to try to force those states into accepting this, and if they didn't, then he blames the state governments that did not accept it (most, if not all, of which are Republican majorities and/or Governor), so that people would complain and potentially vote against those Republicans?  In other words, PLAYING POLITICS instead of doing what's BEST FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!  And absolutely those Republican legislatures and governors are doing the same bullshit.

As I said, Obamacare is decent.  I like it.  As someone who's technically self-employed, it's benefited me and people I love.  But I don't like how it leaves a huge gap with millions of people in a bullshit political tug of war, and both sides are just as much at fault for that.
Obamacare, while having a few shortcomings, has been a great start.. of course, a single payer system would be the ideal option.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2017-05-25, 07:49

New CBO Score Sux

CONGRESSIONAL BUDGET OFFICE COST ESTIMATE

I don't want to go overboard here, but I'm not really sure how a 64 year-old will live in 2026 while spending 50% of their income on health insurance.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3