Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the appeal of food trucks?

+28
GirbaudJeans
Gus Chiggins
Turtleneck
Cym Jim
WhiteBoyHatcher
Phil McCrackin
ROtown Sparty
Narwhal
The Pantry
Rodeo Burger
AvgMSUJoe
Cosmo_Kramer
JEK
tGreenWay
NigelUno
Sponge Worthy
Blanch32
MasonGuy
WBill
Giant Moose
Brock Middlebrook
steveschneider
LoneWolfSparty
MartinSpartan
Donjuanmc
Jean Valjean
Rocinante
Marc Summers
32 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What is the appeal of food trucks? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the appeal of food trucks?

Post by Gus Chiggins Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:40 pm

Turtleneck wrote:

Did you get hit by a food truck or something?

Not unless Nucky's mom has a walk-out basement and the food truck could fit through the sliding door.
Gus Chiggins
Gus Chiggins
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

What is the appeal of food trucks? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the appeal of food trucks?

Post by GirbaudJeans Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:58 am

You've never been to Austin.   The food trucks here are amazing and several B & M's started in a food truck.  They are a great way for people who don't have the money to test the waters before jumping into an expensive building with several employees.  Torchys Tacos is now a pretty large chain that started in a good truck.   Odd Duck and Barley Swine are great restaurants which started in a tiny trailer downtown.   Paul Qui who won Top Chef and I believe is a James Beard nominated chef started in a food truck called East Side King then moved on to Uchi.  He now owns and operates his own restaurant called Qui which is insanely good.

EDIT: Paul Qui is a James Beard winner and his East Side King trucks are now moving into B&M's

Last edited by GirbaudJeans on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
GirbaudJeans
GirbaudJeans
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaheab Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:15 am

The high-end food truck fad is dead or dying but street-food will never go away. In large US cities and most of the rest of the world people were buying food on the streets from small purveyors long before the development of fast-food restaurants,
Jaheab
Jaheab
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Narwhal Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:59 am

Phil McCrackin wrote:

I'm not really up to speed on the dining scene in Royal Oak, but are you talking about a counter-service grab-and-go place when you say "people in Royal Oak want to sit down w/ real silverware"? Seems like you are referring to a sit-down waitstaff restaurant, which food trucks generally aren't trying to compete with.

I get that you think food trucks are a (passing) fad. That may be true, but does it really matter?

I'm saying is in RO/Ferndale/Birmingham there is little or no traffic for these trucks to plop down for lunch or dinner. The lunch crowd wants to sit on chairs preferably on their patios not on a curb w/ can of pop and a plastic fork. Same w/ dinner, people do not want to sit on the ground and eat. IMO these trucks should park outside of the high rise towers in Southfield or larger office buildings in suburbia not in downtowns where there are lots of food options,
Narwhal
Narwhal
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:02 am

GirbaudJeans wrote:You've never been to Austin.   The food trucks here are amazing and several B & M's started in a food truck.  They are a great way for people who don't have the money to test the waters before jumping into an expensive building with several employees.  Torchys Tacos is now a pretty large chain that started in a good truck.   Odd Duck and Barley Swine are great restaurants which started in a tiny trailer downtown.   Paul Qui who won Top Chef and I believe is a James Beard nominated chef started in a food truck called East Side King then moved on to Uchi.  He now owns and operates his own restaurant called Qui which is insanely good.

EDIT: Paul Qui is a James Beard winner and his East Side King trucks are now moving into B&M's

I had a good BM after eating at a food truck one time.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:03 am

Narwhal wrote:

I'm saying is in RO/Ferndale/Birmingham there is little or no traffic for these trucks to plop down for lunch or dinner. The lunch crowd wants to sit on chairs preferably on their patios not on a curb w/ can of pop and a plastic fork. Same w/ dinner, people do not want to sit on the ground and eat. IMO these trucks should park outside of the high rise towers in Southfield or larger office buildings in suburbia not in downtowns where there are lots of food options,

That's the beauty of a food truck, they can go where ever they want.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:05 pm

Never had food truck food once.

A lobster roll, roadside in Maine would be closest thing.
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:10 pm

Narwhal wrote:

Seems like the food trucks in RO/Ferndale/Birmingham would just drive somewhere else to where there are more customers (and places for them to sit) rather than trying to sell street food to people who don't want it.

Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:12 pm

DroppedByADime wrote:Never had food truck food once.    

A lobster roll, roadside in Maine would be closest thing.  

A lobster roll, roadside in Maine would be the same thing.

Food trucks on MSU campus during football saturdays would be a brilliant idea. I'm sure ELPD already has a list of reasons why it can't happen.
Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:18 pm

Phil McCrackin wrote:

Food trucks on MSU campus during football saturdays would be a brilliant idea. I'm sure ELPD already has a list of reasons why it can't happen.
PACE would just follow them and write them up all day.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:23 pm

This place = in TC. I've never been but I kinda want to check it out.

The Little Fleet
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Narwhal Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:41 pm

Phil McCrackin wrote:

I agree! Gameday trucks would kill!
Narwhal
Narwhal
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Summers Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:19 pm

Jaheab wrote:The high-end food truck fad is dead or dying but street-food will never go away. In large US cities and most of the rest of the world people were buying food on the streets from small purveyors long before the development of fast-food restaurants,

I agree with you here. There is no reason high end food should be eaten from a truck.
Marc Summers
Marc Summers
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2