Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ford says "screw it", we're only selling two cars by 2020 in North America. Trucks, trucks, and trucks.

+9
InTenSity
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
steveschneider
Wally Fairway
Nordic
Jake from State Farm
Floyd Robertson
DWags
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ford says "screw it", we're only selling two cars by 2020 in North America.  Trucks, trucks, and trucks.   Empty Ford says "screw it", we're only selling two cars by 2020 in North America. Trucks, trucks, and trucks.

Post by DWags 2018-04-26, 06:23

Pretty crazy.  Dropping pretty much everything.   I'd have loved to have listened in on those data meetings and theories.  They'll cut operating expenses by 25.5. billion.   Does that mean job cuts?   Taurus, Fiesta, Fusion, C-Max and Focus sedans all going buh bye.

Only Mustang and Focus crossover make the cut
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Ford says "screw it", we're only selling two cars by 2020 in North America.  Trucks, trucks, and trucks.   Empty Re: Ford says "screw it", we're only selling two cars by 2020 in North America. Trucks, trucks, and trucks.

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-04-26, 06:25

Technically they won't be "selling" those that make the cut either. They may be "leasing" them, however.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Ford says "screw it", we're only selling two cars by 2020 in North America.  Trucks, trucks, and trucks.   Empty Re: Ford says "screw it", we're only selling two cars by 2020 in North America. Trucks, trucks, and trucks.

Post by Jake from State Farm 2018-04-26, 06:26

Will anyone actually notice when they're gone? Those are all pretty boring cars, almost as boring as the Focus.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2018-04-26, 07:15

Ford says "screw it", we're only selling two cars by 2020 in North America.  Trucks, trucks, and trucks.   Giphy
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2018-04-26, 08:12

My guess is that this is related to changes in fuel economy standards, since the auto makers really make money on trucks & SUV's, IMO they were selling cars to meet the requirements. Which, as an example, is why the Volt was kept around - it was a placeholder electric hybrid to show off to the "green" people but it also allowed GM to sell more gas guzzlers.

I've often thought Chrysler could have done much better selling Ram trucks, mini-vans, and Jeeps, but they need to sell their crappy cars to meet standards.

Somehow Ford must think they will be able to meet the 2020 standards, or that they will change them.

Found this - don't really know what it all means, but lots of words, data and charts
https://www.epa.gov/fuel-economy-trends/highlights-co2-and-fuel-economy-trends
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-04-26, 08:19

Made me think of that lyric in that Poison song Talk Dirty to Me

At the drive in
In the old man's Ford
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-04-26, 08:26

I imagine, if administrations change and the country does a 180 and makes the standards tougher again, Ford knows it' can switch over factories pretty quickly. I'm thinking they won't tell their design teams to take a hike, and they'll keep doing what they do. In this day and age when flipping factories is probably easier than it once was, this isn't as big of a leap of faith as we think. Or at least I think. My wife's cousin is one of those guys that has to sometimes flip a factory. When I was haivng beers and semi interested in what he was saying, it seemed before in the 90's getting the machines on an assembly line to go from grabbing frames, fenders, engines whatnot and turning and twisting with them using space available was probably a shit load tougher than it is now.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-04-26, 08:30

steveschneider wrote:Made me think of that lyric in that Poison song Talk Dirty to Me

At the drive in
In the old man's Ford
that is some damn fine songwriting right there.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-04-26, 08:37

Been thinking about getting a truck. Have no real need for it, but I bet it would look cool...especially if I put a YETI sticker on the back window.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-04-26, 08:41

DWags wrote:I imagine, if administrations change and the country does a 180 and makes the standards tougher again, Ford knows it' can switch over factories pretty quickly. I'm thinking they won't tell their design teams to take a hike, and they'll keep doing what they do. In this day and age when flipping factories is probably easier than it once was, this isn't as big of a leap of faith as we think. Or at least I think. My wife's cousin is one of those guys that has to sometimes flip a factory. When I was haivng beers and semi interested in what he was saying, it seemed before in the 90's getting the machines on an assembly line to go from grabbing frames, fenders, engines whatnot and turning and twisting with them using space available was probably a shit load tougher than it is now.

Hopefully we won't force corporations to lose money making products that people don't want to buy. Just makes no sense whatever stripe you are.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-04-26, 08:45

I thought all there was is trucks down in Georgia?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-04-26, 09:19

When I lived in michigan there was a pretty bitter rivalry between the ford and Chevy fans. Is that still going on?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-04-26, 09:24

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Made me think of that lyric in that Poison song Talk Dirty to Me

At the drive in
In the old man's Ford

Yeah, the dude was a poet. I only know his words because their stuff was on constant rotation on the classic rock stations.

They say I spend my money on women and wine
But I couldn't tell you where I spent last night
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-04-26, 09:27

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Yeah, the dude was a poet. I only know his words because their stuff was on constant rotation on the classic rock stations.

They say I spend my money on women and wine
But I couldn't tell you where I spent last night
Neutral
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2018-04-26, 09:41

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:I imagine, if administrations change and the country does a 180 and makes the standards tougher again, Ford knows it' can switch over factories pretty quickly. I'm thinking they won't tell their design teams to take a hike, and they'll keep doing what they do. In this day and age when flipping factories is probably easier than it once was, this isn't as big of a leap of faith as we think. Or at least I think. My wife's cousin is one of those guys that has to sometimes flip a factory. When I was haivng beers and semi interested in what he was saying, it seemed before in the 90's getting the machines on an assembly line to go from grabbing frames, fenders, engines whatnot and turning and twisting with them using space available was probably a shit load tougher than it is now.

Hopefully we won't force corporations to lose money making products that people don't want to buy. Just makes no sense whatever stripe you are.
Yup, I'll just go buy foreign. Getting 35+ MPG is important to me. I'd rather waste money on something else other than gas.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-04-26, 09:47

InTenSity wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Yup, I'll just go buy foreign. Getting 35+ MPG is important to me. I'd rather waste money on something else other than gas.

The smarter thing for everyone, the foreign companies do a better job on the small cars.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-04-26, 10:06

DWags wrote:I thought all there was is trucks down in Georgia?

Lots of people driving around in Jeeps also.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-04-26, 10:16

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:I thought all there was is trucks down in Georgia?

flying into ATL in June for a wedding. Rented a hybrid car of some sort. Not for any good reason, really, other than to send my knuckle-draggin' relatives into a rage.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-04-26, 10:22

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

flying into ATL in June for a wedding. Rented a hybrid car of some sort. Not for any good reason, really, other than to send my knuckle-draggin' relatives into a rage.

Typical tree hugger - flies with huge carbon footprint, soothes his conscience by renting government subsidized hybrid to erase 1/10,000th of jet footprint and considers it a bonus to needlessly upset people on someone's special weekend.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-04-26, 10:24

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: flying into ATL in June for a wedding. Rented a hybrid car of some sort. Not for any good reason, really, other than to send my knuckle-draggin' relatives into a rage.

Typical tree hugger - flies with huge carbon footprint, soothes his conscience by renting government subsidized hybrid to erase 1/10,000th of jet footprint and considers it a bonus to needlessly upset people on someone's special weekend.
thanks for the trial run and confirming that it will, indeed, send them into a rage.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-04-26, 10:27

I'm thinking about leasing a BMW i3...

Thoughts?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-04-26, 10:30

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: flying into ATL in June for a wedding. Rented a hybrid car of some sort. Not for any good reason, really, other than to send my knuckle-draggin' relatives into a rage.

I think Hannity has a hybrid SUV.

Your thoughts, Goose?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-04-26, 10:30

steveschneider wrote:I'm thinking about leasing a BMW i3...

Thoughts?

Is that one of those little electric ones?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-04-26, 10:34

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

thanks for the trial run and confirming that it will, indeed, send them into a rage.

Pointing out tree hugger hypocrisy is far from a rage my granola crunching friend.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-04-26, 10:36

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: thanks for the trial run and confirming that it will, indeed, send them into a rage.

Pointing out tree hugger hypocrisy is far from a rage my granola crunching friend.
it seemed to annoy you. Which is my goal with the knuckle-draggin' in-laws.

Ford says "screw it", we're only selling two cars by 2020 in North America.  Trucks, trucks, and trucks.   3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-04-26, 10:37

Thoughts?
I bet it goes well with khakis.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-04-26, 11:01

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: thanks for the trial run and confirming that it will, indeed, send them into a rage.

You got all of that out of Bob renting a hybrid?

Ford says "screw it", we're only selling two cars by 2020 in North America.  Trucks, trucks, and trucks.   502811600
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-04-26, 11:02

NigelUno wrote:

Thoughts?

Yeah, my wife’s company is offering to lease us a car. They have a 100 Mile range but they seem like it would be good for commuting and driving around the town. Fuck paying for gas.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-04-26, 11:02

NigelUno wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

You got all of that out of Bob renting a hybrid?

Ford says "screw it", we're only selling two cars by 2020 in North America.  Trucks, trucks, and trucks.   502811600

not exactly proud of it, but I'm not at all any sort of tree-huggin' hippie.. my daughter and wife sort of force me to be conscientious about things.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-04-26, 11:05

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Yeah, my wife’s company is offering to lease us a car. They have a 100 Mile range but they seem like it would be good for commuting and driving around the town. Fuck paying for gas.

;-) Pay for electricity produced from burning gas. Beat the man!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2018-04-26, 11:22

LooseGoose wrote:
;-)  Pay for electricity produced from burning gas.   Beat the man!
Fuck paying for electricity - I'm getting a car with solar panels for the hood/roof/deck lid and windmills to produce energy as I drive down the road.
Watch those knuckle-draggers heads explode

like this
Ford says "screw it", we're only selling two cars by 2020 in North America.  Trucks, trucks, and trucks.   1

or this
Ford says "screw it", we're only selling two cars by 2020 in North America.  Trucks, trucks, and trucks.   IMG_0312

oh, and I almost forgot these
Ford says "screw it", we're only selling two cars by 2020 in North America.  Trucks, trucks, and trucks.   DSCN8080-web" />
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2018-04-26, 12:23

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Went to Florida a few weeks ago to visit relatives. I got upgraded to a 4x4 pickup truck at the rental place. I thought all the relatives were going to give me a handy when I showed up driving that thing.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-04-26, 12:27

I'd wager that by 2020 Trucks will be getting damn good gas miles anyway. Engineers are amazing, and Goose can complain about Obama forcing a goal on the companies, but I think the best and brightest in our country thrive on a challenge. Sure there are a ton of people pissed at a free enterprise system telling a company they have to do this or that, and I get that, but if you give smart peole a goal, They can get damn near it if not right on it if they need to. Without a goal, you take a deep breath and relax a bit.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2018-04-26, 12:39

steveschneider wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Put $65 in the Tahoe yesterday. I might start collecting french fry oil and see if that works instead.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-04-26, 12:41

My brother in law has a buddy that is an environmental lawyer. he converted his Benz into a car that runs on old cooking grease. Smells like burger king going down the road.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-04-26, 12:42

Jake from State Farm wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Went to Florida a few weeks ago to visit relatives. I got upgraded to a 4x4 pickup truck at the rental place. I thought all the relatives were going to give me a handy when I showed up driving that thing.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2018-04-26, 12:46

DWags wrote:I'd wager that by 2020 Trucks will be getting damn good gas miles anyway. Engineers are amazing, and Goose can complain about Obama forcing a goal on the companies, but I think the best and brightest in our country thrive on a challenge. Sure there are a ton of people pissed at a free enterprise system telling a company they have to do this or that, and I get that, but if you give smart peole a goal, They can get damn near it if not right on it if they need to. Without a goal, you take a deep breath and relax a bit.

Obama? It goes all the way back to Nixon....

Here's the thing Wags and I know I've seen studies that support this....how many lives was it worth?

The simple fact is that people in small cars die at a much higher rate. The cost for those better fleet gas mileages has been paid in the blood of Americans.

So was it worth it for loved ones to die to save a few gallons of oil?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-04-26, 12:51

LooseGoose wrote:
DWags wrote:I'd wager that by 2020 Trucks will be getting damn good gas miles anyway.   Engineers are amazing, and Goose can complain about Obama forcing a goal on the companies, but I think the best and brightest in our country thrive on a challenge.  Sure there are a ton of people pissed at a free enterprise system telling a company they have to do this or that, and I get that, but if you give smart peole a goal, They can get damn near it if not right on it if they need to.   Without a goal, you take a deep breath and relax a bit.  

Obama?  It goes all the way back to Nixon....

Here's the thing Wags and I know I've seen studies that support this....how many lives was it worth?  

The simple fact is that people in small cars die at a much higher rate.   The cost for those better fleet gas mileages has been paid in the blood of Americans.    

So was it worth it for loved ones to die to save a few gallons of oil?
I don't own a car.

(side note: ya gotta admit.. it's pretty funny seeing the big burly dudes driving trucks and SUV's with an "I Support the Troops" yellow magnetic ribbon on the back. Ford says "screw it", we're only selling two cars by 2020 in North America.  Trucks, trucks, and trucks.   502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2018-04-26, 13:17

So, wait goose, If I'm reading your post right, you're blaming cars for people's deaths?

hmmmm.

Let
Me
Think
About
That.

hmmmmmmmmm

People aren't killing people in cars, cars are killing people in cars.

something
something
Something
SOMETHING!

What is it this reminds me of?

I think you're right, we need to take small cars away from people to save people's lives.

But wait, what if we just had people keep buying more small cars? The only way you save a life from a bad small car owner, is if you have a good small car owner.

O.K., sorry I binned this up. Just wanted to make a point about how I think, given a problem, engineers can solve it if you tell them it has to be solved by this date. I just think they can do almost anything. I've always been in awe of those fuckers.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2018-04-26, 13:26

DWags wrote:My brother in law has a buddy that is an environmental lawyer. he converted his Benz into a car that runs on old cooking grease. Smells like burger king going down the road.

Is his name Ben Giovanelli or something like that?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next