Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So Ben Carson Believes That Poverty Is Just a Mindset..

+6
Watch Out Pylon!
Rocinante
Cameron
GRR Spartan
CheesySpartan
Robert J Sakimano
10 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

So Ben Carson Believes That Poverty Is Just a Mindset..  - Page 2 Empty Re: So Ben Carson Believes That Poverty Is Just a Mindset..

Post by CheesySpartan 2017-05-25, 16:49

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
CheesySpartan wrote:

Unless it fits your agenda Bob...
feel free to enjoy the knuckle-draggin' right.. I choose not to participate in the hate.

Plenty of hate on your side as well Bob. You know that.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

So Ben Carson Believes That Poverty Is Just a Mindset..  - Page 2 Empty Re: So Ben Carson Believes That Poverty Is Just a Mindset..

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-25, 16:58

Rocinante wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

Roc, can you not see that I have a line in the water? Go find your own pond!

Oh sorry man.

It's cool, you need any lures?
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-05-25, 18:12

I'm just not a very good fisherman. Probably a patience problem.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-25, 18:41

Rocinante wrote:I'm just not a very good fisherman. Probably a patience problem.

They bite pretty regularly around here. Most the time i just throw in the bare hook.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-25, 19:53

Rocinante wrote:I'm just not a very good fisherman. Probably a patience problem.

Pretty easy to get the real dumb asses to chase you around and beg you to answer their idiocy. It's almost boring.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-25, 19:53

Almost

So Ben Carson Believes That Poverty Is Just a Mindset..  - Page 2 502811600
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-25, 20:10

So Ben Carson Believes That Poverty Is Just a Mindset..  - Page 2 1494614055
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2017-05-25, 20:56

DWags wrote:Almost

Let's just ban Bob...opps I mean the troll then? There is that whole "No Trolling" hollow threat stuck at the top of this board. Whateves
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-25, 21:00

CheesySpartan wrote:

Let's just ban Bob...opps I mean the troll then? There is that whole "No Trolling" hollow threat stuck at the top of this board. Whateves

Bobs a pretty smart guy. He's well read. He doesn't have the intellectual diarrhea that guys who only watch videos do. I also think he has a spine.

:troll:
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-25, 21:01

Triggered
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2017-05-25, 21:07

DWags wrote:
CheesySpartan wrote:

Let's just ban Bob...opps I mean the troll then?  There is that whole "No Trolling" hollow threat stuck at the top of this board.  Whateves

Bobs a pretty smart guy.  He's well read. He doesn't have the intellectual diarrhea that guys who only watch videos do. I also think he has a spine.

So Ben Carson Believes That Poverty Is Just a Mindset..  - Page 2 502811600  So Ben Carson Believes That Poverty Is Just a Mindset..  - Page 2 502811600  So Ben Carson Believes That Poverty Is Just a Mindset..  - Page 2 502811600 Of course he is. We probably all are at the end of the day. So Ben Carson Believes That Poverty Is Just a Mindset..  - Page 2 4113017228 He had a literal troll dude under his name for years here.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-05-25, 23:11

DWags wrote:
CheesySpartan wrote:

Bobs a pretty smart guy. He's well read. He doesn't have the intellectual diarrhea that guys who only watch videos do. I also think he has a spine.

I'm not necessarily disputing that Bob is well read, but how would you know?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-25, 23:13

Cameron wrote:
DWags wrote:

Damn, I let that cat out of the bag. Here kitty kitty. Nothing behind this curtain.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-25, 23:21

Cameron wrote:
DWags wrote:

Because he agrees with him. That's how it works around here. If you agree with them, they're smart people. If you disagree with them, they're dumb asses who are mean to me. So Ben Carson Believes That Poverty Is Just a Mindset..  - Page 2 4177874726
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-05-25, 23:34

I'm just saying, Bob is far more likely to quote Springsteen than Chaucer.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2017-05-25, 23:36

Bob may be well read, but

Wags is well heeled.

Cam is well bred.

X is well hung.

I'm about to be well medicated.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-25, 23:38

Cameron wrote:I'm just saying, Bob is far more likely to quote Springsteen than Chaucer.

God bless him for it, too. Bob is a champion.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-25, 23:38

Rocinante wrote:Bob may be well read, but

Wags is well heeled.

Cam is well bred.

X is well hung.

That's the spirit!
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2017-05-25, 23:42

CheesySpartan wrote:

Full disclosure, that was for Dude and Blanch.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-25, 23:44

Rocinante wrote:Bob may be well read, but

Wags is well heeled.

Cam is well bred.

X is well hung.

I vote for you.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-05-26, 00:40

DWags wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Damn, I let that cat out of the bag.  Here kitty kitty.   Nothing behind this curtain.  

Re-reading this thread, I'm wondering if perhaps this was a misunderstanding. Did you read my post as "how would you know," dwags? Maybe I'm over-analyzing, but I didn't mean you as in dwags you. I meant you generally. More like, "how would we know if Bob is well read?"

I just worry that dwags interpreted that as me taking a shot and saying that he wouldn't know if someone is well read or not (implication being that dwags is not well read). I'm a dick for no reason enough as it is, I don't want to come across as a dick when I don't mean to.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2017-05-26, 11:09

I'm a Democrat. I don't disagree with one thing he said in his interview.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-26, 11:18

Cameron wrote:
DWags wrote:

Damn, I let that cat out of the bag.  Here kitty kitty.   Nothing behind this curtain.  

Re-reading this thread, I'm wondering if perhaps this was a misunderstanding. Did you read my post as "how would you know," dwags? Maybe I'm over-analyzing, but I didn't mean you as in dwags you. I meant you generally. More like, "how would we know if Bob is well read?"

I just worry that dwags interpreted that as me taking a shot and saying that he wouldn't know if someone is well read or not (implication being that dwags is not well read). I'm a dick for no reason enough as it is, I don't want to come across as a dick when I don't mean to.

No, not at all. I didn't think that, and frankly, it really doesn't bother me if anyone says shit about me on a message board. Hell, matter of fact there's one guy on this board who will follow me around from thread to thread sniffing my nuts, trying to get some reaction I guess..., it's all entertainment.

But FTR, maybe Bob and I have actually communicated in ways other than this forum. Who knows. And yeah, I can't account for his taste in the Boss, we all have our cross to bare.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-05-26, 11:37

Did X man get his ass kicked by black kids growing up?

Ben Carson is bright guy who went from humble beginnings and parlayed his life story into a speaking gig that's made him a millionaire. For him to say poverty is a state of mind is psycho babble.

My father left 8th grade to work when his father took to disappearing for months at a time in the early 20's. In the late 50's we went for nearly a year with a lot more month than money left when he took a laundry delivery job during a 13 month layoff.

The differences were both my folks were literate and we were white. The only reason we moved from GR's Heritage Hill to the burbs was the expressway was built and my folks guessed right on which school system in the early 60's. ( Heritage Hill was not the toney place to be when we moved. Homes were dropping in value for decades until Spectrum Health started expanding)

Carson's upbringing doesn't insulate him from making arrogant statements.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-26, 12:14

GRR Spartan wrote:Did X man get his ass kicked by black kids growing up?

I'd guess way more than just black guys. If this dude isn't X I'll eat one of my hats.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-05-26, 12:28

What posters who buy into Carson's "State of mind" BS overlook the facts that Dr. Carson got to see some of the benefits of the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

He wasn't limited applying to historically black universities for undergrad. He went to Yale. He wasn't limited to attending a handful of historically black medical schools like Howard, Moorehouse and Meharry. He was able to attend U of M.

They also overlook the millions in government funding Johns Hopkins Medical School got so Dr Carson could do his then experimental surgeries.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-26, 12:29

DWags wrote:
CheesySpartan wrote:

you're a great American.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-26, 12:29

Cameron wrote:I'm just saying, Bob is far more likely to quote Springsteen than Chaucer.
Springsteen > Chaucer

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-26, 12:30

You're should be capitalized.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-26, 12:30

DWags wrote:
Cameron wrote:

No, not at all. I didn't think that, and frankly, it really doesn't bother me if anyone says shit about me on a message board. Hell, matter of fact there's one guy on this board who will follow me around from thread to thread sniffing my nuts, trying to get some reaction I guess..., it's all entertainment.

But FTR, maybe Bob and I have actually communicated in ways other than this forum. Who knows. And yeah, I can't account for his taste in the Boss, we all have our cross to bare.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2017-05-26, 12:31

DWags wrote:You're should be capitalized.
it was a capital crime.

I'm sorry.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-26, 15:02

GRR Spartan wrote:Did X man get his ass kicked by black kids growing up?

Ben Carson is bright guy who went from humble beginnings and parlayed his life story into a speaking gig that's made him a millionaire.   For him to say poverty is a state of mind is psycho babble.

My father left 8th grade to work when his father took to disappearing for months at a time in the early 20's.  In the late 50's we went for nearly a year with a lot more month than money left when he took a laundry delivery job during a 13 month layoff.

The differences were both my folks were literate and we were white.  The only reason we moved from GR's Heritage Hill to the burbs was the expressway was built and my folks guessed right on which school system in the early 60's. ( Heritage Hill was not the toney place to be when we moved.  Homes were dropping in value for decades until Spectrum Health started expanding)

Carson's upbringing doesn't insulate him from making arrogant statements.

I have, yes, GRR. I've also been called a "white faggot" by my 3rd grade elementary teacher. I've sat in class and listened to teacher and students discuss "crackers" in high school. I've was put in the hospital in the 6th grade for walking home while white... apparently baseball bats and bones don't mix well. I've won fights, too, but it's hard to win against a half dozen intent on making sure you don't walk down their street anymore. And a myriad of other instances where students get to weaponize those words towards me or others in front of teachers and nothing happens. Then in college I start hanging out with kids from the suburbs and never witnessed any of them want to shit on them for being black/mexican/asian or chase after them with baseball bats that you guys seem to think is the norm everywhere (interracial crime stats seem to indicate otherwise).

It's probably why I roll my eyes when people point to "micro-aggressions".

So Ben Carson Believes That Poverty Is Just a Mindset..  - Page 2 502811600 I overheard my black supervisor at a job years ago refer to me as a cracker to another employee once, too. He turned around and I was just there with a big grin on my face.

Ya know, if we're sharing nostalgic childhood stories...
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2017-05-26, 15:21

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Springsteen > Chaucer

No argument here. Unless Chaucer wrote a poem we don't know about that starts "The screen door slams..."
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-05-26, 15:28

So X, your experiences in diversity have made you a bitter victim.

Good to know.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-26, 15:36

GRR Spartan wrote:So your experiences in diversity have made you a bitter victim.

Good to know.

No one is a victim. That's the point.

The world can be a shitty place, no group has a monopoly on being shitty. You guys want to project your insecurities onto another community in order to feel better about yourselves.

I can name 5 role models growing up that all had these things in common. Black, male, prior military service. None of them bought into this 'woe is me, feel sorry for me' schtick that suburban whites try to pin on them. They were pretty vocal about it, too. I have more positive experiences in "diversity" than I do negative ones. But whenever I hear people talk about it I get the impression that diversity experiences are few and far between for many that espouse a certain philosophy.

So maybe the Ben Carsons, Thomas Sowells, Larry Elders, Bill Cosbys and Morgan Freemans are onto something.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-26, 15:39

GRR Spartan wrote:So X, your experiences in diversity have made you a bitter victim.

Good to know.

I don't think bitter quite covers it. My wife was bussed to Detroit in the 70's.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-26, 15:45

xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-26, 15:57

DWags wrote:
GRR Spartan wrote:So X, your experiences in diversity have made you a bitter victim.

Good to know.

I don't think bitter quite covers it. My wife was bussed to Detroit in the 70's.  

Yeah, I didn't have the option of escaping to the suburbs after 6 hours.

We had kids like that, too, from like Holt or Grand Ledge or wherever. They looked like deer in headlights and didn't seem to like it very much.

The point Ben Carson was making is... stop perpetuating this feel sorry for yourself mentality. It's not helpful. This is not the 60's. No one is holding you back, if you want to do something, you go and do it. A defeatist attitude gets you or me or anyone else no where.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2017-05-26, 16:16

Mack and outer drive ain't the burbs. I should clarify she was bussed INTO Detroit. I mean 7 mile andMack ain't Lansing but it's kinda tough.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2017-05-26, 16:55

That's cool, Dwags. What are you arguing, exactly?

Where was she bussed INTO Detroit from? Highland Park? I'm not sure what you're trying to correct on my part.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next