Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Social Media Too Powerful?

+16
Da Mayor
Watch Out Pylon!
steveschneider
Floyd Robertson
Turtleneck
DWags
Nordic
SawGreen
CORNER BLITZ
Code_Warrior
Travis of the Cosmos
Robert J Sakimano
Cameron
tGreenWay
Other Teams Pursuing That
Rocinante
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Is Social Media Too Powerful? - Page 3 Empty Re: Is Social Media Too Powerful?

Post by Cameron Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:26 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
Cameron wrote:

And I wish you'd accept my request that you eat a bag of dicks.

And I wish you’d stop filling those bags with Cameron-sized dicks, because that’s not even enough for an appetizer.

If the bag is full, what difference does it make how small they are? Don't be so picky.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:27 pm

Cameron wrote:
TheReal_LWS wrote:If you use FB then you are an idiot that gets what you deserve.

As a facebook user, I wholeheartedly agree. I know facebook is awful, it's my own fault if I provide them data to sell.

All of silicon valley, social media, Amazon, etc. they claim to want to "help" you but it's all BS.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:32 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Cameron wrote:

As a facebook user, I wholeheartedly agree. I know facebook is awful, it's my own fault if I provide them data to sell.

All of silicon valley, social media, Amazon, etc. they claim to want to "help" you but it's all BS.

I mean, they can still help us while making a shit ton of money. Do you not like capitalism? Do you hate America?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:38 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

I mean, they can still help us while making a shit ton of money. Do you not like capitalism? Do you hate America?

They're not helping you when they're manipulating you and attempting to steer your behavior and are very often successful at it. I know you're making a pathetic attempt at sarcasm but as you know I'm all for Capitalism, I'm opposed to big brother and authoritarian regimes. And I love America enough to be ready to defend our freedoms with a musket - are you or will you bow to your new masters?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:39 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

They're not helping you when they're manipulating you and attempting to steer your behavior and are very often successful at it. I know you're making a pathetic attempt at sarcasm but as you know I'm all for Capitalism, I'm opposed to big brother and authoritarian regimes. And I love America enough to be ready to defend our freedoms with a musket - are you or will you bow to your new masters?

You slay me Goose. Is Social Media Too Powerful? - Page 3 502811600
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:41 pm

LooseGoose wrote:

They're not helping you when they're manipulating you and attempting to steer your behavior and are very often successful at it.   I know you're making a pathetic attempt at sarcasm but as you know I'm all for Capitalism, I'm opposed to big brother and authoritarian regimes.   And I love America enough to be ready to defend our freedoms with a musket - are you or will you bow to your new masters?

What the fuck are you going to do with a musket? Is Social Media Too Powerful? - Page 3 1966794946

Have you thought about corporate big brother being caused by capitalism? Are you still all for it?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Sad that you're dim-witted enough to swallow the tripe that we're anywhere close to one now.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:52 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Sad that you're dim-witted enough to swallow the tripe that we're anywhere close to one now.

You just made my enemy of the people list.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:08 pm

I agree with Goose, those products are bad for your health. Apple, google and the social media sites are engineered to make you addicted to their products. They know this and they make billions off of it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:00 pm

Here's an interesting development: Gizmodo is Liberal as hell, but the story brings up an interesting point: Are social media sites different than the general internet? Is there any way to use statute to police propaganda or other bad viral content on SM without endangering ALL free speech on the internet? I do not necessarily agree with this author's points.

Section 230 Is the Foundation of the Internet, So Why Do Republicans Want to Change It?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:35 pm

Let’s revive this dinosaur.

Fox, as the propaganda arm of the Trump administration, is picking up the “ban tik tok” banner and having admin folks come on and explain why it’s bad.

stepping away from his job as Anthony Fauci attacker, Peter Navarro says:

"Every time you sign up for TikTok, all your information is potentially going right back to the Chinese Communist Party. The Chinese military and the Chinese government, they can use these social media apps to steal your personal information, your business information... They use these social media apps to track you and surveil you and monitor your movements."

So I guess the talking point is when American companies do it, it’s fine, even if their targeted advertising is paid for by foreign interests. But if the company itself is not American, we have a problem.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:25 pm

To be fair, India banned TikTok, Australia is considering it, and other countries as well. Granted Trump didn't care about it until it led to his embarrassment in Tulsa, but the concerns are not completely without merit. What I wonder is, with it already banned for military and other government people in some agencies, what's the real threat of them stealing? Email addresses of 14 year olds?

Selling it to a US company is an obvious solution, but will that be good enough solution for Trump?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:52 pm

Is Social Media Too Powerful? - Page 3 Screen17
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:26 pm

I agree that all this shit is awful, but for some reason I find it comforting in times of trouble.

During the rise of Trump I took to twitter to stay informed and know what's going on by following blue check twitter experts.

When this pandemic started I got back on facebook just to make sure people I know are doing alright. Hopefully Trump loses in November and then they find a cure for Covid so I can delete my accounts.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:46 pm

I’m sure you’ll find something else on there to be consumed by, Steve. Psychology says you won’t just turn the switch off.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:06 pm

steveschneider wrote:

During the rise of Trump I took to twitter to stay informed and know what's going on by following blue check twitter experts.

Stay off twitter, steve.

Study: US adults who mostly rely on social media for news are less informed, exposed to more conspiracies
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:38 pm

I miss Guest.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:02 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Stay off twitter, steve.

Study: US adults who mostly rely on social media for news are less informed, exposed to more conspiracies
I use Twitter for news... Follow WaPo, CNN, AP... Then some MSU, others. I think it's ok if you target the right follows... And never read the threads.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:05 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Stay off twitter, steve.

I use Twitter for news... Follow WaPo, CNN, AP... Then some MSU, others. I think it's ok if you target the right follows... And never read the threads.

I read the threads for the entertainment value. Is Social Media Too Powerful? - Page 3 2599972566
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:06 am

MiamiSpartan wrote:To be fair, India banned TikTok, Australia is considering it, and other countries as well. Granted Trump didn't care about it until it led to his embarrassment in Tulsa, but the concerns are not completely without merit. What I wonder is, with it already banned for military and other government people in some agencies, what's the real threat of them stealing? Email addresses of 14 year olds?

Selling it to a US company is an obvious solution, but will that be good enough solution for Trump?

To be FAIR!!!!

No seriously though I the link they’re all terrible I just think it’s hilarious that the taking point is that this one foreign owned company is harvesting data, when American companies have been doing it all over the world for decades.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:23 am

Rocinante wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:To be fair, India banned TikTok, Australia is considering it, and other countries as well. Granted Trump didn't care about it until it led to his embarrassment in Tulsa, but the concerns are not completely without merit. What I wonder is, with it already banned for military and other government people in some agencies, what's the real threat of them stealing? Email addresses of 14 year olds?

To be FAIR!!!!

No seriously though I the link they’re all terrible I just think it’s hilarious that the taking point is that this one foreign owned company is harvesting data, when American companies have been doing it all over the world for decades.

And thats whats I appreciates about you Roc
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:23 am

Also to be fair there’s a lot more context behind India banning a Chinese app right now than just data privacy concerns
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:32 am

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Stay off twitter, steve.

This guy gets it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:55 pm

So.... yeah?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

SawGreen likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:04 pm

Yeah
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:10 pm

Yeah...
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:15 pm

Is Social Media Too Powerful? - Page 3 943159252b8671d29be6f5ed4cafcd61
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:35 pm

Trumpers: The government has no right to tell me what to do during a pandemic!!

Also Trumpers: I’ve been kicked off of Facebook the government must do something!!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:37 pm

It's like digital warfare now. Allies and enemies.

Personally, I find it a bit concerning at the moment. But, we'll see what adjustments are made via the market or the government(s).
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:51 pm

SawGreen wrote:It's like digital warfare now. Allies and enemies.

Personally, I find it a bit concerning at the moment. But, we'll see what adjustments are made via the market or the government(s).

The Parler-crew has logos even proclaiming themselves as the digital army of the USA. Literally naming themselves as keyboard warriors.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:38 pm

Motown Spartan wrote:
SawGreen wrote:It's like digital warfare now. Allies and enemies.

The Parler-crew has logos even proclaiming themselves as the digital army of the USA. Literally naming themselves as keyboard warriors.

...and? I don't really care about that. But, my BS antenna are pretty good.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:44 pm

SawGreen wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

Just an anecdote. There are people/groups out there with that mindset that it is online war.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:53 pm

Motown Spartan wrote:
SawGreen wrote:

Just an anecdote. There are people/groups out there with that mindset that it is online war.

Oh, I meant that it is corporate war now. Kind of a new twist on an old story.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Motown Spartan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3