Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet

+11
Floyd Robertson
Rocinante
The_Dude
Nordic
Travis of the Cosmos
Other Teams Pursuing That
xsanguine
steveschneider
DWags
Blanch32
WhiteBoyHatcher
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet Empty Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-04-19, 09:49

Girl periscopes her friend getting raped rather than trying to stop it because she got "caught up in the likes"

http://nyti.ms/1SpwtOe

Maybe Izzo is on to something.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet Empty Re: Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet

Post by Blanch32 2016-04-19, 09:57

More miserable news from the midwest....
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet Empty Re: Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet

Post by DWags 2016-04-19, 10:02

So I'm watching the news last night and a 3 year old and an infant are dead today. Cause at a party the week before, somebody stole somebody elses shoes. So, in order to correct that injustice, gunfire had to rein through a couple of houses. It did, and two children are dead today. Thank God justice was served for a pair of Nike's being taken.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-04-19, 10:10

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dumbest-Generation-Stupefies-Jeopardizes/dp/1585427128
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-04-19, 10:23

Blanch32 wrote:More miserable news from the midwest....

You really need to rewire your brain. How does one read this story and this is the first thing that goes through their head? Mind bottling.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-04-19, 10:27

WBH, I've seen video's where parents have rushed up to a school yard fight, not to break it up, but to film it and upload it to facebook. Those are kids parents. What do we think their kids are capable of doing?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-19, 10:33

DWags wrote:WBH, I've seen video's where parents have rushed up to a school yard fight, not to break it up, but to film it and upload it to facebook. Those are kids parents. What do we think their kids are capable of doing?

Hahaha...

I remember in high school parents would drive their kids up to the school so their kid could fight whomever they had an issue with.

We had A LOT of good fights take place in that courtyard area of Everett High School. Actually, there were some even better ones at Gardner, despite our younger frames. So much entertainment... Almost guaranteed to get a good show after school. Talk about nostalgia, Dwags... I'd love to see some legacy acts of those fights.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-04-19, 10:35

A lot of money is going to be made on technology/social media addition or dependency.

Thank you parents giving their kids iPads at the age of 2!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-04-19, 10:38

Xsan, it is what it is. I'm htinking it's not going to get more civil. Did you see the Philly hockey game last night?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-04-19, 10:38

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:A lot of money is going to be made on technology/social media addition or dependency.

Probably as much as was made on tv addiction back in the 80s and 90s right otpt?

Goddamn it you are so stupid I can't stand it.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-04-19, 10:45

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

You really need to rewire your brain. How does one read this story and this is the first thing that goes through their head? Mind bottling.

I lived in ohio. For some reason they have a ton of weird rape stories there. Miserable people though
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-04-19, 10:46

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:A lot of money is going to be made on technology/social media addition or dependency.

Probably as much as was made on tv addiction back in the 80s and 90s right otpt?

There's a TV everywhere you look now travis. Why don't you just virtual fuck doogie too?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2016-04-19, 10:46

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:

Possibly the most disturbing social media age story yet Smileys-fish-805431
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-04-19, 10:49

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

There's a TV everywhere you look now travis.

And how much money has been made on the tv addiction market?

Jesus Christ try to keep up otpt.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-04-19, 10:50

There's a TV everywhere you look now travis.

You of all people should know how many fatties we have.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-04-19, 10:50

steveschneider wrote:http://www.amazon.com/The-Dumbest-Generation-Stupefies-Jeopardizes/dp/1585427128

And who raised these kids in an ultra pc age? They are just products of what grown ups have showed and told them their entire lives. They are all special, never held accountable, and nothing is their fault. That's all they know.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-04-19, 10:51

And yet not a single dime spent on tv addiction.

Just admit that comment was real dumb so that we can all move in with our lives, k?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2016-04-19, 10:54

Just admit that comment was real dumb so that we can all move in with our lives, k?

It's gonna happen. But I won't continue this. See how that works...Nigel...

Dude is right - my parents did a great job with me, obviously. But dwags and the rest the baby boomers?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-04-19, 10:58

Dude is right - my parents did a great job with me, obviously. But dwags and the rest the baby boomers?

Yes, you're a treasure to all those who have the privilege to interact with you. Even virtually, I feel the soft, healing glow of your enlightenment.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2016-04-19, 11:00

I will continue it. Your concept that there's gonna be soooooo much money in social media addiction therapy is fucking idiotic. Sorry kid. This concept of something being new and scary because people are spending a lot of time on it is not new. Internet before that. Then tv. Then radio. Then books or some shit. It's just a cycle. None of those others have created some emergency that required people to voluntarily submit themselves to expensive therapy and neither will this.

What you said was dumb, you know it's dumb, but you don't want to admit it because you're dumb.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-04-19, 11:01

Jesus OTPT, you really are stupid. I'm wondering if we should just blame your parents.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-04-19, 11:02

DWags wrote:WBH, I've seen video's where parents have rushed up to a school yard fight, not to break it up, but to film it and upload it to facebook.    Those are kids parents.  What do we think their kids are capable of doing?  

Seeing an act of violence is like found money these days and it's a capitalistic society. Confrontations make great viral videos. I was pissed off at a subway agent the other year, I had to pipe it down because I could tell people were ready to start filming and uploading.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-04-19, 11:06

To the old guys and middle aged guys on the board...all you need to do is recall how you grew up, how independent you were and the freedom you had at a young age to do stuff and figure things out yourself. How parents and teachers were allowed to discipline you, etc.

Nowadays if you tell your 11 year old kid to go out and ride their bike a mile from their house, child protective services are called.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-19, 11:08

DWags wrote:Xsan, it is what it is. I'm htinking it's not going to get more civil. Did you see the Philly hockey game last night?

It is. Luckily we live in a much safer world than we did 20 years ago but with all this awesome technology we get to watch it... In real time!

World star!!!

Nah, I didn't catch the Philly game. Tim mentioned Kings/Sharks in OT but I missed that, too. I saw the highlights, though.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-04-19, 11:11

It's consistently funny to me how the people who know the most about raising kids are the 20-somethings without kids. I was probably the same way.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2016-04-19, 11:14

I saw this report on the early news this morning about an Apple study that figured the average iphone user unlocks their screen 80 times a day.

Sounds pretty dependent to me.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-04-19, 11:19

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:It's consistently funny to me how the people who know the most about raising kids are the 20-somethings without kids. I was probably the same way.

I'm a 40-something without kids, and I think I know quite a bit about it. Enough to know I would probably be more angry at the loss of all my time than I would joyful at having them.

c'est la vie
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-04-19, 11:19

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:It's consistently funny to me how the people who know the most about raising kids are the 20-somethings without kids. I was probably the same way.

Nah. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize you need to let your kids learn to be independent, figure things out on their own, and hold them accountable otherwise they'll wander aimlessly through life.

The parents that raised these kids became ultra pc and stopped doing all that, and this is the result.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2016-04-19, 11:21

The_Dude wrote:

Nah. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize you need to let your kids learn to be independent, figure things out on their own, and hold them accountable otherwise they'll wander aimlessly through life.

The parents that raised these kids became ultra pc and stopped doing all that, and this is the result.

Periscoping a rape is ultra pc?
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2016-04-19, 11:23

Rocinante wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

No, not this specific incident. Just how un-independent kids in their teens and 20s are today.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-19, 11:27

Rocinante wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

Yes, this should have been done through Skype. Have some respect, millenials....
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-19, 11:34

The_Dude wrote:To the old guys and middle aged guys on the board...all you need to do is recall how you grew up, how independent you were and the freedom you had at a young age to do stuff and figure things out yourself. How parents and teachers were allowed to discipline you, etc.

Nowadays if you tell your 11 year old kid to go out and ride their bike a mile from their house, child protective services are called.
my parents were pretty much non-existent.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2016-04-19, 11:38

The_Dude wrote:
steveschneider wrote:http://www.amazon.com/The-Dumbest-Generation-Stupefies-Jeopardizes/dp/1585427128

And who raised these kids in an ultra pc age? They are just products of what grown ups have showed and told them their entire lives. They are all special, never held accountable, and nothing is their fault. That's all they know.

This baby boomers
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2016-04-19, 11:43

xsanguine wrote:
Rocinante wrote:

Yes, this should have been done through Skype. Have some respect, millenials....

The story is disgusting but I have to admit I lol'd.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-04-19, 12:04

LOL at the Dude. Fucker is so clueless. I'd laugh at him raising a kid.

Fuck, he should write that book on how simple it is.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2016-04-19, 12:06

I can't believe this guy just stood there and filmed it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2016-04-19, 12:07

steveschneider wrote:

I can't believe this guy just stood there and filmed it.

That's like the most recent battle between Nigel and I.

Clearly Nigel is the one jumping out of his transformer and trying to get into the cab of someone else's, the scab!
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-04-19, 12:11

ha. Chinese drivers.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2016-04-19, 12:12

DWags wrote:LOL at the Dude. Fucker is so clueless. I'd laugh at him raising a kid.

Fuck, he should write that book on how simple it is.
in all seriousness, I sometimes think that kids are kind of hard-wired at birth. Sure, we can guide them in some directions here and there, instill some morals, ethics and values.. but I still think that, at times, it's like playing Russian roulette.

the theoretical part is blindingly simple. Applying the theory to real-life can be wickedly complex, as there are factors and variables beyond our control.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2016-04-19, 12:22

Beyond our control is a fairly nice way of putting it. Having no clue is the way I'd describe myself as a parent. Those that think they do are laughably funny.

I won't bore you with any real life stories, but in some aspects of my daughters lives, they couldn't be more different than each other. How is that possible. You raise them the same way, you do the same things, you go to the same places and you have the same conversations. One is way more willing to wink at society's rules than the other. The other is a pretty damn straight arrow. How is that possible? I have no fucking clue.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next