Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again

+7
Nordic
The Pantry
CORNER BLITZ
tGreenWay
y2kMgrad
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
11 posters

Go down

If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again Empty If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again

Post by DWags Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:14 pm

Scroll down.

Truck almost shoes over the Mackinac bridge
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again Empty Re: If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:19 pm

That blows.

(in all seriousness, those pics are terrifying)
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again Empty Re: If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again

Post by y2kMgrad Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:04 pm

Damn he got lucky. Driving across that bridge always makes me nervous. Like they didn't build the barriers high enough or something.
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:11 pm

It’s just that kind of awkward, out-of-the-blue tilting that could earn that driver an invite to become a Swiller.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:25 pm

If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again 22882603_BG1

If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again 22882603_BG2

have heard that many oldschool drivers don't like the additional aerodynamic tails/sides because they feel it would cause a tip-over with excess wind
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:31 pm

CORNER BLITZ wrote:If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again 22882603_BG1

If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again 22882603_BG2

have heard that many oldschool drivers don't like the additional aerodynamic tails/sides because they feel it would cause a tip-over with excess wind

Yep, truck drivin’s getting to be a young person’s game, what with all these newfangled aerodynamic parts. I’ll tell you what; Teamsters wouldn’t put up with that nonsense.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:31 pm

While I fully appreciate the wildness the Bridge can offer, that story is from summer 2013.

WTF Wags?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:33 pm

The Pantry wrote:While I fully appreciate the wildness the Bridge can offer, that story is from summer 2013.

WTF Wags?

Wags just wants to make sure he hasn't gotten behind the wheel

or he's still recovering from Rama
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:46 pm

DWags wrote: If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again

Within 5 years this won't be a problem
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:48 pm

Nordic wrote:
DWags wrote: If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again

Nukes?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:50 pm

The Pantry wrote:While I fully appreciate the wildness the Bridge can offer, that story is from summer 2013.

WTF Wags?

Webpages open up very slowly at his house.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:03 am

DWags wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Nukes?

Let's just say if you owned a Driver's Ed business... now would be a good time to sell
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:05 am

Nordic wrote:
DWags wrote:

Nukes?

Let's just say if you owned a Driver's Ed business... now would be a good time to sell

5 years seems a tad soon. With that being said, that industry, i guess specifically the truck drivers are in for a wake up call.
Other Teams Pursuing That
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:08 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Nordic wrote:

5 years seems a tad soon. With that being said, that industry, i guess specifically the truck drivers are in for a wake up call.

I hope they are not asleep while driving, OTPT.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:12 am

Nordic wrote:
DWags wrote:

Nukes?

Seems like most people will always want to drive, just for the fun of driving, even after cars become more like hovercrafts and teleportation is proven to work without reintegrating people with their innards on the outside.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:19 am

tGreenWay wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Seems like most people will always want to drive, just for the fun of driving, even after cars become more like hovercrafts and teleportation is proven to work without reintegrating people with their innards on the outside.

but companies will want the savings of automated deliveries
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:44 am

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

but companies will want the savings of automated deliveries

Just please don’t let it be drones. I don’t want those buzzy little bastards flying all over the neighborhood.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:48 am

tGreenWay wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Ask you kids if the believe this
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:56 am

Nordic wrote:

Maybe. Call it 10 to be safe.

Elon Musk didn't send up 12,000 satellites (just) to bring streaming internet to their Tesla 3.

Google has invested a billion in an alternate approach.

Uber's business model is not to employee drivers.

Hey, but Ford says they'll be ready in 2021 If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again 55953254 (sarcasm)

Last edited by Nordic on Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:56 am

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I’ve never met any of my kids. Hell, I don’t even know where they live or how many I have. I do like to pretend that none of them are like Travis, though.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:57 am

tGreenWay wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I’ve never met any of my kids. Hell, I don’t even know where they live or how many I have. I do like to pretend that none of them are like Travis, though.

Go to Bob's house and ask his kids
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:58 am

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

"what's a car?"
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:01 am

Nordic wrote:

Elon Musk didn't send up 12,000 satellites to (just) bring streaming internet to their Tesla 3.

Hey, but Ford says they'll be ready in 2021 If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again 55953254 (sarcasm)

This is what I don’t get. Most of these self-driving cars need to be able to read the lines on the road in order to stay in their lanes. They also need their cameras to remain clean. In Michigan, though, the lane lines are often unrecognizable, and if wet snow doesn’t blind those cameras, then dirt and grime will. Despite my love of driving, I also love the idea of self-driving cars. I doubt, however, that I’ll fully trust them for a long while.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:02 am

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
Nordic wrote:

"what's a car?"

This is the correct response from Bob spawn.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:16 am

tGreenWay wrote:
Nordic wrote:

Elon Musk didn't send up 12,000 satellites to (just) bring streaming internet to their Tesla 3.

This is what I don’t get. Most of these self-driving cars need to be able to read the lines on the road in order to stay in their lanes. They also need their cameras to remain clean. In Michigan, though, the lane lines are often unrecognizable, and if wet snow doesn’t blind those cameras, then dirt and grime will. Despite my love of driving, I also love the idea of self-driving cars. I doubt, however, that I’ll fully trust them for a long while.

gps, wifi, radar, rfid, signs around the road, other cars, etc etc - many different things can be used to determine the vehicles location without using lines or cameras
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:19 am

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

gps, wifi, radar, rfid, signs around the road, other cars, etc etc - many different things can be used to determine the vehicles location without using lines or cameras

Holy brain tumors, Batman, that’s a lot of shit rolling through our noodles.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:19 am

tGreenWay wrote:
Nordic wrote:

They are starting in Arizona for a reason; flat, straight, no weather. That said the first to links above  would say (to paraphase gHost), "fuck snow".
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:20 am

tGreenWay wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

its all already out there If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again 3493939353
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:30 am

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

They are starting in Arizona for a reason; flat, straight, no weather. That said the first to links above would say (to paraprash gHost), "fuck snow".

Right. If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again 502811600
AFAIK, Mercedes is the only car maker using heated exterior cams (actually, IDK about Tesla). The HUD on mine doesn’t do well if there’s dirt on the cam or a snow buildup on the various street signs (speed/school, etc.,). While GPS works with sats, it also counts on cities to update road info, and a lot of places (Lansing, for example) don’t bother. It’s frustrating and a time suck to be driving a Lansing street only to find your route has been detoured by a longtime construction project that nobody told the satellites about. Sorry. Ranting. It’s just that fuck you Lansing.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:32 am

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

its all already out there If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again 3493939353

The RFID is the one that has always concerned me the most.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:35 am

tGreenWay wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

radio frequencies....
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:39 am

tGreenWay wrote:
Nordic wrote:

They are starting in Arizona for a reason; flat, straight, no weather. That said the first to links above would say (to paraprash gHost), "fuck snow".

Right. If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again 502811600
AFAIK, Mercedes is the only car maker using heated exterior cams (actually, IDK about Tesla). The HUD on mine doesn’t do well if there’s dirt on the cam or a snow buildup on the various street signs (speed/school, etc.,). While GPS works with sats, it also counts on cities to update road info, and a lot of places (Lansing, for example) don’t bother. It’s frustrating and a time suck to be driving a Lansing street only to find your route has been detoured by a longtime construction project that nobody told the satellites about. Sorry. Ranting. It’s just that fuck you Lansing.

hmmmmm

Elon Musk lauching 1000s of GPS....errr internet.... satelites. Google scanning streets with 'lidar'. I don't think they are waiting for Lansing city council to update their road atlas.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:45 am

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

radio frequencies....

What’s the frequency, Corner?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:49 am

Nordic wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

hmmmmm

Elon Musk lauching 1000s of GPS....errr internet.... satelites. Google scanning streets with 'lidar'. I don't think they are waiting for Lansing city council to update their road atlas.

All I know is I was late for a dinner engagement a couple of months ago and got rerouted at Grand River and MLK. Had to drive way the hell out of my way to come back around to my destination. If I want to stay angry at Virg, don’t blow it for me.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:32 am

I know when I fly the pilot isn’t grabbing the wheel and giving the plane power or pulling power away constantly, the computer is doing a lot of the work up there, but I’m not sure I’d be comfortable with nobody up there in the cockpit. Maybe I’m just more paranoid. Self driving cars will be great for lazy asses like me, but won’t there have to be a lot of legeslation passed, insurance rules changed and driving rules updated? If I have a grand kid in five years, 15 years after that, I’d love for them to be able to drive on their own to see me by having my addressed programmed into their car, but I’d hope they could manipulate the car if they needed to. I don’t think it’s going to be as simple as some want, including me. Lots of other shit we probably haven’t thought of. At least I could just shut my eyes and stick my fingers in my ears when I’m going over the bridge.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:48 am

tGreenWay wrote:
Nordic wrote:

hmmmmm

All I know is I was late for a dinner engagement a couple of months ago and got rerouted at Grand River and MLK. Had to drive way the hell out of my way to come back around to my destination. If I want to stay angry at Virg, don’t blow it for me.

Olympic Broil is fast food, they don't care if you're on time.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:57 am

tGreenWay wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Like the one implanted at the base of your skull while you were sleeping?
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:32 am

Just ran across this article about autonomous vehicles, never thought about this aspect:
For a start, AVs will record everything that happens in and around them. When a crime is committed, the police will ask nearby cars if they saw anything. Fleet operators will know a great deal about their riders. In one infamous analysis of passenger data, Uber identified one-night stands. If, as seems likely, human-driven cars are gradually banned on safety grounds, passengers could lose the freedom to go anywhere they choose.
https://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21737501-policymakers-must-apply-lessons-horseless-carriage-driverless-car-self-driving
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:35 am

I.B. Fine wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Like the one implanted at the base of your skull while you were sleeping?

If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again 502811600
If I was this truck driver, I’d never get behind the wheel again 502811600
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down