Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial 2018 Midterm Election Thread..

+21
tGreenWay
WhiteBoyHatcher
Watch Out Pylon!
Dendrobates
NigelUno
MiamiSpartan
InTenSity
Floyd Robertson
Frank Ricard
Jake from State Farm
Cameron
Heat Miser
Other Teams Pursuing That
GRR Spartan
Dr. Strangelove
steveschneider
DWags
Travis of the Cosmos
kingstonlake
AvgMSUJoe
Robert J Sakimano
25 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

tOfficial 2018 Midterm Election Thread.. - Page 3 Empty Re: tOfficial 2018 Midterm Election Thread..

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-10-16, 08:22

in a related story, I'm certain that his popularity spikes after using a swastika in his campaign ad. tOfficial 2018 Midterm Election Thread.. - Page 3 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial 2018 Midterm Election Thread.. - Page 3 Empty Re: tOfficial 2018 Midterm Election Thread..

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-10-16, 08:46

Don't expect a big Democratic wave this fall, a new CNBC poll says.

Caution: Mainstream Media Link
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2018-10-16, 10:02

Just curious because this crossed my mind. I don't vote along party lines. Never have. But my frustration has pushed me to voting straight Dem ticket. This means I'm voting in races I normally wouldn't. Are there more people like me on the Dem side doing this? I assume straight ticket is more popular among narrow minded Christian's and conservatives. My experience is that independent and Dem voters tend to be more open minded and cross party lines. Will an increase in straight Dem tickets have a bigger effect this election cycle?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2018-10-16, 10:26

kingstonlake wrote:Just curious because this crossed my mind. I don't vote along party lines. Never have. But my frustration has pushed me to voting straight Dem ticket. This means I'm voting in races I normally wouldn't. Are there more people like me on the Dem side doing this? I assume straight ticket is more popular among narrow minded Christian's and conservatives. My experience is that independent and Dem voters tend to be more open minded and cross party lines. Will an increase in straight Dem tickets have a bigger effect this election cycle?

I'm no fan of the democrats, but I'm strongly considering straight ticket.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-16, 11:30

Cameron wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:Just curious because this crossed my mind. I don't vote along party lines. Never have. But my frustration has pushed me to voting straight Dem ticket. This means I'm voting in races I normally wouldn't. Are there more people like me on the Dem side doing this? I assume straight ticket is more popular among narrow minded Christian's and conservatives. My experience is that independent and Dem voters tend to be more open minded and cross party lines. Will an increase in straight Dem tickets have a bigger effect this election cycle?

I want over sight for Trump. It's not going to come from the media, his party or his supporters. The only solution that makes sense to me is voting his party out.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-10-16, 11:37

conventional wisdom typically suggests that "undecided" voters eventually side with the party that is out of power. I'm not certain if that will apply to this election cycle or not. America (and Americans) are very stupid, easily duped and totally disengaged with most things that offer a substantial degree of impact on their lives.

so, we'll see - I agree with Steve that I think politicians, in general, need oversight. I'm not sure it's healthy to have either party in total control of the government. This is even more profound in reference to the current immoral and unethical subhumans that occupy the modern GOP.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-16, 13:20

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
conventional wisdom typically suggests that "undecided" voters eventually side with the party that is out of power. I'm not certain if that will apply to this election cycle or not. America (and Americans) are very stupid, easily duped and totally disengaged with most things that offer a substantial degree of impact on their lives.

so, we'll see - I agree with Steve that I think politicians, in general, need oversight. I'm not sure it's healthy to have either party in total control of the government. This is even more profound in reference to the current immoral and unethical subhumans that occupy the modern GOP.

There's nothing holding Trump accountable right now. I buy into the Steve Schmidt argument that this is the most important election in our lives and if we don't deliver the blue wave we are going to be living in Trumpistan. He will be more emboldened, carry his agenda further and we will be worse off if there isn't a repudiation on his behavior.

Honestly all I want is to go back to normal and get back to where I don't give a shit anymore about politics. Maybe after 2018 and 2020 we can get back to that.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-10-16, 13:35

Good news for Democrats is that Whitmer seems to be holding well in Michigan.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2018-10-16, 15:56

I'm voting straight Dem this time. A lot of times I've voted Republican in some of the local races. Not this year.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-10-17, 05:29

I hear ya InTenSity - I've voted republican plenty of times but certainly not since they became the party of hate, racism and sexual assault.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2018-10-17, 06:29

InTenSity wrote:I'm voting straight Dem this time. A lot of times I've voted Republican in some of the local races. Not this year.

I think that last Dem I voted for was Blanchard for governor.

F the elephants this time around. Every single one of them. Unless they publicly denounce that asshole in the White House. So, again, F every single one of them.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-10-17, 09:45

Beto is still polling 5-7 points behind Lyin' Ted.

to me, this race illustrates "tribalism" perfectly - you have a bright, energetic moderate able to harness Obama-like energy.. and then there is Ted Cruz - someone that even prominent Republicans openly have disgust for.. he's bought and paid for by PAC's, nobody likes him (even his own children).. and yet, Texans are drinking the GOP Kool-Aid.

bizarre - I mean, I get it - I know why they're supporting him.. but it simply illustrates how strange the world of politics has become.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-17, 09:56

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Beto is still polling 5-7 points behind Lyin' Ted.

to me, this race illustrates "tribalism" perfectly - you have a bright, energetic moderate able to harness Obama-like energy.. and then there is Ted Cruz - someone that even prominent Republicans openly have disgust for.. he's bought and paid for by PAC's, nobody likes him (even his own children).. and yet, Texans are drinking the GOP Kool-Aid.

bizarre - I mean, I get it - I know why they're supporting him.. but it simply illustrates how strange the world of politics has become.

I think it's because even though we think of a lot of people as knuckle draggers, we have to give credit where credit is due.

They vote to win, and keep their eye on the prize. I have so many dem friends that won't vote for certain liberal candidates because they are imperfect but the people on the right don't have that same problem.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-10-17, 10:01

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Beto is still polling 5-7 points behind Lyin' Ted.

I think it's because even though we think of a lot of people as knuckle draggers, we have to give credit where credit is due.

They vote to win, and keep their eye on the prize. I have so many dem friends that won't vote for certain liberal candidates because they are imperfect but the people on the right don't have that same problem.
I agree with you - I've said similar things here. From my experience, Democrats have a sense of "right and wrong" - I think they view America as a work in progress, something that can always be better if we're willing to be inspired and led by the right people.

Republicans tend to want to regress back in history, back in time - and that's what folks like Cruz represents to them. America will likely (maybe I'm overly optimistic) have a better chance at truly being the "land of the free, home of the brave" as the older "back in the good 'ol days" generation begins dying off.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-17, 10:09

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I agree with you - I've said similar things here. From my experience, Democrats have a sense of "right and wrong" - I think they view America as a work in progress, something that can always be better if we're willing to be inspired and led by the right people.

Republicans tend to want to regress back in history, back in time - and that's what folks like Cruz represents to them. America will likely (maybe I'm overly optimistic) have a better chance at truly being the "land of the free, home of the brave" as the older "back in the good 'ol days" generation begins dying off.

Yeah, a recent example that comes to mind one of my friends doesn't like Kamal Harris because of some death row inmate in California. I'm not that familiar with the story but turns out there is a good chance he's innocent and she wouldn't allow advanced DNA testing when she was AG of the state that would confirm if he's innocent or guilty. I get why that would bother him, but I wouldn't let that get in the way of voting between her and Trump if she ends up being the candidate.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-17, 10:25

https://twitter.com/funder/status/1052409521694527488

Hit it out of the park. Sorry, I don’t know how to embed tweets.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-10-17, 10:28

Polls that say they have anything less than a 10% margin of error (and usually should have a lot more) are bullshit. There are too many variables that can't be accounted for without radical changes to the way polls are conducted.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-10-17, 10:29

steveschneider wrote:[tw]1052409521694527488[/tw]

Hit it out of the park. Sorry, I don’t know how to embed tweets.

[*tw] .......the number at the end of your link........  [*/tw] without the *

don't be lazy, steve.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-17, 10:35

[tw]1051260281127456768[/tw]
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-17, 10:36

Thanks, Rocinate. I did the full link before and it didn't work. Didn't realize it was just the number.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-10-17, 11:02

Rocinante wrote:Polls that say they have anything less than a 10% margin of error (and usually should have a lot more) are bullshit. There are too many variables that can't be accounted for without radical changes to the way polls are conducted.
they'll start to tighten up in the next 10-14 days. It's insane, to me, that anyone with any shred of human decency could vote for anything other than straight Dem ticket at this point.

I keep an eye on Real Clear Politics and 538. Not so much to invest any faith or belief in, but just to see if I can get a sense of any trends. Knowing, too, that they are likely wildly inaccurate and potentially skewed for nefarious purposes.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-10-17, 11:06

steveschneider wrote:Thanks, Rocinate. I did the full link before and it didn't work. Didn't realize it was just the number.

You're welcome, Steven.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-17, 11:21

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Rocinante wrote:Polls that say they have anything less than a 10% margin of error (and usually should have a lot more) are bullshit. There are too many variables that can't be accounted for without radical changes to the way polls are conducted.
they'll start to tighten up in the next 10-14 days. It's insane, to me, that anyone with any shred of human decency could vote for anything other than straight Dem ticket at this point.

I keep an eye on Real Clear Politics and 538. Not so much to invest any faith or belief in, but just to see if I can get a sense of any trends. Knowing, too, that they are likely wildly inaccurate and potentially skewed for nefarious purposes.

I made up my mind to vote straight ticket dem day one when Sean Spicer stood at the press podium and screamed at the press and lied about the inauguration crowd size. Maybe it's just me but that just seemed so third world dictator to me.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-10-17, 11:58

steveschneider wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: they'll start to tighten up in the next 10-14 days. It's insane, to me, that anyone with any shred of human decency could vote for anything other than straight Dem ticket at this point.

I made up my mind to vote straight ticket dem day one when Sean Spicer stood at the press podium and screamed at the press and lied about the inauguration crowd size. Maybe it's just me but that just seemed so third world dictator to me.
yep - when someone openly lies about things that don't matter, you have to believe they're lying about things that do matter.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2018-10-17, 13:41

Bob Sak wrote:It's insane, to me, that anyone with any shred of human decency could vote for anything other than straight Dem ticket at this point.
You should see how the 'right' is talking about anyone thinking about voting in a Dem. Hell I'm not sure if you guys are getting the same commercials, but basically Dems here in FL are being linked with terrorist whether its true or not.
You could probably end up straight ticket, if you decided to vote for anyone that a commercial tells you is going to destroy the world, and buddies up with terrorists. Its BS fear tactics, but it works well.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-10-17, 13:47

InTenSity wrote:
Bob Sak wrote:It's insane, to me, that anyone with any shred of human decency could vote for anything other than straight Dem ticket at this point.
You should see how the 'right' is talking about anyone thinking about voting in a Dem. Hell I'm not sure if you guys are getting the same commercials, but basically Dems here in FL are being linked with terrorist whether its true or not.
You could probably end up straight ticket, if you decided to vote for anyone that a commercial tells you is going to destroy the world, and buddies up with terrorists. Its BS fear tactics, but it works well.
I've said it over and over on here - hate, fear, anger, racism, etc - are all very strong attributes that appeal to that most raw of human instincts.

love, compassion, hope, the concept of a shared sacrifice for the greater good - gonna have to work hard to promote those ideas in your favor.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-10-17, 13:57

in a shock to nobody, word of widespread GOP-motivated actions designed to disenfranchise voters in Georgia, North Dakota and North Carolina.

never trust a political party that does everything under the sun to make it harder for Americans to vote.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-10-17, 14:50

steveschneider wrote:
Cameron wrote:

I want over sight for Trump. It's not going to come from the media, his party or his supporters. The only solution that makes sense to me is voting his party out.
Yeah, this is pretty much my motivation. I mean, generally speaking, I'm a big supporter of gridlock, and vote against whichever party is in the White House (some exceptions if I feel strongly for or against a certain candidate). With Trump, this is even more important.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2018-10-17, 16:26

The less people that vote the better.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-10-17, 17:47

Robert J Sakimano wrote:in a shock to nobody, word of widespread GOP-motivated actions designed to disenfranchise voters in Georgia, North Dakota and North Carolina.

never trust a political party that does everything under the sun to make it harder for Americans to vote.
Wait, Bob, haven't you called for an intelligence test in order to be able to vote?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-10-17, 19:22

Yeah - I have.

Stupid people tend to be the ones most likely to vote.

Mainly because they really have nothing else to do. So, let's make it easier to vote (end the racist voter ID laws, gerrymandering, stop closing precincts in cities and college campuses) and you're likely to get a more educated electorate.

But lazy people will be lazy. It's unfortunate, though, when the people who make the rules deliberately set out to disenfranchise people.

So, yes - encourage an educated, informed population. Not a bunch of ignorant knuckle-draggers. You have to take a test to drive a car. I have no problem asking voters to be able to recite the alphabet.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-10-17, 22:21

Bob, that has to be the most hypocritical post I've ever read. Blasting the deliberate disenfranchisement of people while simultaneously calling for the deliberate disenfranchisement of people...many of which would be the same people. Especially when your plan would disproportionately disenfranchise minorities, the working class, etc. Isn't what you're advocating incredibly racist?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-10-17, 22:25

There’s no constitutional right for every adult citizen to drive a car. That said, republicans have been disenfranchising eligible voters for decades. It’s second nature to them.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-10-18, 07:38

Rocinante wrote:There’s no constitutional right for every adult citizen to drive a car.
there's nothing in the Constitution that forces someone to prevent an ID before exercising their right to vote, either.

That said, republicans have been disenfranchising eligible voters for decades. It’s second nature to them.
oh, I know - I just like pointing it out.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2018-10-18, 07:40

MiamiSpartan wrote:Bob, that has to be the most hypocritical post I've ever read.
thanks, man.  

Blasting the deliberate disenfranchisement of people while simultaneously calling for the deliberate disenfranchisement of people...many of which would be the same people.   Especially when your plan would disproportionately disenfranchise minorities, the working class, etc.  Isn't what you're advocating incredibly racist?
no, I don't think having a desire for someone to demonstrate a fundamental level of cognitive functioning (reciting the alphabet, counting to ten, etc) prior to voting is racist.

if you do, that's cool. We all have our things.

(for the record, I realize that this is never going to occur. The very people who benefit from an ignorant electorate are the only ones who could do something about it - it's just sort of a wish of mine)
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-10-18, 09:29

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:Bob, that has to be the most hypocritical post I've ever read.
thanks, man.  

Blasting the deliberate disenfranchisement of people while simultaneously calling for the deliberate disenfranchisement of people...many of which would be the same people.   Especially when your plan would disproportionately disenfranchise minorities, the working class, etc.  Isn't what you're advocating incredibly racist?
no, I don't think having a desire for someone to demonstrate a fundamental level of cognitive functioning (reciting the alphabet, counting to ten, etc) prior to voting is racist.

if you do, that's cool. We all have our things.

(for the record, I realize that this is never going to occur. The very people who benefit from an ignorant electorate are the only ones who could do something about it - it's just sort of a wish of mine)
Ok, so that's all you're asking for? Reciting the alphabet and counting to 10? Funny, I seem to recall you saying that they should demonstrate a lot more knowledge than that. Like the kind of knowledge you learn after pre-K. But if you're changing that now, it's good that you've learned how ridiculous it is to demonstrate civics knowledge or point out where a given state is on a map. Just don't fall on your butt with all of the backtracking.

So the alphabet and counting to 10. That's your requirement. That's kind of silly to suggest, as it wouldn't cull the voter lists, no matter how little you think of Trump supporters. And, if anything, it would cull some illiterate people, which would disproportionately affect minorities, thus coming back to institutional racism.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-18, 10:25

Bob what makes you think the outcome would be any better if it were just 'smart' people voting. Koch Bros MIT grads, Trump/Kavanaugh Ivy League Grads, Shane Spencer Duke Grad, Stephen Miller Duke Grad, Steve Bannon Harvard, Bill O'Reilly Harvard.....
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2018-10-18, 10:44

This is such a stupid line of argument. Shut up guys.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2018-10-18, 10:49

Rocinante wrote:This is such a stupid line of argument. Shut up guys.

I say the more the merrier.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2018-10-18, 11:07

Rocinante wrote:This is such a stupid line of argument. Shut up guys.
How dare anyone engage in discussion on a message board. The nerve!
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next