Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coach D presser at 5:45 today

+21
aualum06
SawGreen
duffy munn
Travis of the Cosmos
CORNER BLITZ
MiamiSpartan
Tim Wakefield
kingstonlake
WhiteBoyHatcher
tGreenWay
Jethro Bodeen
Nordic
Watch Out Pylon!
Other Teams Pursuing That
I.B. Fine
NigelUno
steveschneider
Floyd Robertson
TheReal_LWS
DWags
Death Roe
25 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Coach D presser at 5:45 today - Page 2 Empty Re: Coach D presser at 5:45 today

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-01-10, 16:42

#teamOTPT
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-01-10, 16:44

The sound of defensive coordinators across the B1G trembling is deafening. I expect a slew of resignations to flood Twitter tonight.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-01-10, 16:45

I think a Twitter feed update from @coachD would have been sufficient.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-10, 16:46

Meh, we all saw the championship game. We aren't getting to the level to win that thing. Just get us back on track to win against Michigan and be competitive in the Big 10 east. This is still better than JLS and B. Williams.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-01-10, 16:50

steveschneider wrote:Meh, we all saw the championship game. We aren't getting to the level to win that thing. Just get us back on track to win against Michigan and be competitive in the Big 10 east. This is still better than JLS and B. Williams.

You're on Blue Watch, Steve!
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2019-01-10, 16:54

If the offensive staff stays the same, I'm ditching season tickets. I was legitimately bored at games this year. Not paying hundreds of dollars to see the same thing next year. RIP MSU football
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-10, 16:54

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Meh, we all saw the championship game. We aren't getting to the level to win that thing. Just get us back on track to win against Michigan and be competitive in the Big 10 east. This is still better than JLS and B. Williams.

When the JLS era came to a close I thought just get me a coach that can get me 7-8 wins a year and I'll be happy. By today's standards just get me to 8-9 a year and I'm content.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2019-01-10, 16:57

My oh my MSU fans have become an entitled bunch.

This place would be unbearable if we ever hit real hard times again.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-10, 16:59

Also, Michigan just got one of Alabama's OC's. We've seen this song and dance before and it didn't make much of a difference for them. Going out and making a splash hire can always just end up with the same old results. My .02 bring in some outside help, send the coaches to an offense work shop, or do something to try to modernize.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-10, 17:00

LooseGoose wrote:My oh my MSU fans have become an entitled bunch.

Coach D presser at 5:45 today - Page 2 969504605
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-01-10, 17:00

Two offensive touchdowns in their last four games. What's the saying? You can paint the car as many times as you want, it's not going any faster with the same engine.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-10, 17:00

Bring in Wayne Fontes and have him teach Dantonio the run and shoot offense.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-01-10, 17:02

126th out of 132 in points scored. Not a single person loses their job. Not one.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-10, 17:04

kingstonlake wrote:126th out of 132 in points scored. Not a single person loses their job. Not one.

On the up side, I bet we have an improved offense next year.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-01-10, 17:08

kingstonlake wrote:126th out of 132 in points scored. Not a single person loses their job. Not one.

LJ Scott did.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-01-10, 17:12

This is probably stolen from somewhere but someone texted me that it’s really just rearranging deck chairs on the titanic Coach D presser at 5:45 today - Page 2 1966794946
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-10, 17:14

One thought, Dantonio is a loyal guy. He's shown it to the school, the fans, the players and his staff. You can't have it both ways where he's just loyal to all the things you agree with but cut throat when it comes to his staff. Bring in a coach that's ready to hire and fire his staff and you are probably bringing in a guy that's going to constantly be looking for a new gig and using job offers to get more money out of the school. Pick your poison.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-01-10, 17:17

I’ll be there first game, fired up. But I’m not going to lie and tell you I’m not a bit bummed. I am. It’s like you and me riding a twin bike. You’re in front I’m in back. We want to go faster so we change positions. Will it work? Sure it might. Odds are.....

Bitching aside, Dantonio is not ever going to change is philosophy, so it probably wouldn’t be a big difference who we brought in. It’s the Jimmy and Joes. If we’re healthy and find a running back, we have a shot. Not at a natty, but at a good finish in the league.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-01-10, 17:17

steveschneider wrote:One thought, Dantonio is a loyal guy. He's shown it to the school, the fans, the players and his staff. You can't have it both ways where he's just loyal to all the things you agree with but cut throat when it comes to his staff. Bring in a coach that's ready to hire and fire his staff and you are probably bringing in a guy that's going to constantly be looking for a new gig and using job offers to get more money out of the school. Pick your poison.

It’s really that black and white? There’s no middle ground to loyalty and cut throat? Where was the O coordinator’s loyalty to their players by putting them in positions to succeed after recruiting them by blowing smoke up their asses?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-01-10, 17:19

I don't need a change up in staff really at all based on what I know.

I need a better (healthier?) QB and better RB play and some better blocking. That would fix us right up and get us back to (B1G) Championship level football. If that means the coaches need to be shuffled to help improve all of that, I'm on board.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-01-10, 17:20

steveschneider wrote:One thought, Dantonio is a loyal guy. He's shown it to the school, the fans, the players and his staff. You can't have it both ways where he's just loyal to all the things you agree with but cut throat when it comes to his staff. Bring in a coach that's ready to hire and fire his staff and you are probably bringing in a guy that's going to constantly be looking for a new gig and using job offers to get more money out of the school. Pick your poison.

Great points. And I really respect him for that. But know what? These assistants better start to evaluate themselves. Maybe they should step the heck up and say thanks for a great run, I’ll free up my job and look at a change of scenery.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-01-10, 17:20

If true, it’s ridiculous that Bollman sticks around. Yeah, maybe he can coach OL, but everyone knows he hates recruiting and doesn’t do well at it. How about bringing in someone young and hungry to recruit like his life depends on it? Oops, that’s not being loyal. Does MD have even one coach on his staff who recruits at least as hard as Izzo? Doubtful. That’s embarrassing for Dantonio.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-01-10, 17:24

One other thing: Warner wont stick around long. When you’re demoted like that, it’s an awkward situation being a position coach after being in charge of the entire O. And if he doesn’t leave for another job, it confirms Dantonio has assistants who have grown too comfortable.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-01-10, 17:27

steveschneider wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

When the JLS era came to a close I thought just get me a coach that can get me 7-8 wins a year and I'll be happy. By today's standards just get me to 8-9 a year and I'm content.
Sooooo, you mean like we have? I mean, the last two seasons we average 8.5 wins, right in the middle of that. Even with 2016, over the last 6 seasons, we average 9.3 wins per season. If you want exactly 8-9 wins a year with no fluctuation, that's pretty hard to do. Personally, I'd rather take the last 6 seasons as a whole, including this year and 2016, than just being 8 or 9 wins in all 6 of those seasons.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2019-01-10, 17:29

It all depends.

A shake up in the staff forces them all to learn/do new things. It can bring a different perspective.

Bringing in an "outsider" isn't the be-all or cure-all many think it is. If CoachD really wanted to implement something radically different his coaches could learn it and then teach it. It's what they do after all.

While I'm quite aware we were Coach D presser at 5:45 today - Page 2 2102841802 about injuries and all teams suffer them this year they did cripple our offense. It's pretty debatable how many teams would have thrived with their #1 RB injured all year, their QB down for a big portion of the year, their #1 WR out and the OL doing the Curly shuffle all year - added to that all the normal nicks and bruises.

As many say here and ought to remember at times like this - CoachD and KingI have earned our trust. Let's let them try to solve issues their way. After all they know a LOT more than you do about their team and sport than you do. (Yes, even you OTPT)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-01-10, 17:30

#teammediocrity
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-10, 17:30

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

It’s really that black and white? There’s no middle ground to loyalty and cut throat? Where was the O coordinator’s loyalty to their players by putting them in positions to succeed after recruiting them by blowing smoke up their asses?

I don't know, but I remember the Saban era and there was always a cloud around the program that he was going to bolt to the NFL. Loyalty to the school and wanting to be there matters.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2019-01-10, 17:30

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Where was the O coordinator’s loyalty to their players by putting them in positions to succeed after recruiting them by blowing smoke up their asses?

Examples?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2019-01-10, 17:31

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

#teammediocrity

LOL....ok CaptainStupidFuck.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-10, 17:33

MiamiSpartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Sooooo, you mean like we have? I mean, the last two seasons we average 8.5 wins, right in the middle of that. Even with 2016, over the last 6 seasons, we average 9.3 wins per season. If you want exactly 8-9 wins a year with no fluctuation, that's pretty hard to do. Personally, I'd rather take the last 6 seasons as a whole, including this year and 2016, than just being 8 or 9 wins in all 6 of those seasons.

Yep, I agree with this and good call out. I'm on board with this. We all know shit can get worse, we have it pretty good.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-01-10, 17:34

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I don't need a change up in staff really at all based on what I know.

I need a better (healthier?) QB and better RB play and some better blocking. That would fix us right up and get us back to (B1G) Championship level football. If that means the coaches need to be shuffled to help improve all of that, I'm on board.

I hope the new assignments come with job descriptions that tell them to encourage their student athletes to play and block better. That should bump us to at least mid 90's in points scored.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-01-10, 17:36

Isn't Dantonio's loyalty a little bit over-blown? I mean, he did fire Ted Gill and Dan Roushar. Sure, he spun those situations in a different way because he's a class guy, but those guys were not encouraged to stay at MSU to say the least.

Yes, he's still loyal to a large extent. I get that. You need people that you can trust with your life around you in positions like that. That has built a family atmosphere and chemistry with the staff and players. Let's not forget what we've accomplished with Warner, Bollman, and Staten in their current positions. I don't buy this "just got lucky with elite players". That's what people said about the Cousins years. I really believe that that atmosphere and chemistry has been vital in our success, even if it may have also contributed to the down years. But we've had a lot more highs than lows. I'm not saying keep all the coaches. I'm saying that I support whatever Coach D chooses to do with his staff.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-01-10, 17:40

kingstonlake wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I don't need a change up in staff really at all based on what I know.

I hope the new assignments come with job descriptions that tell them to encourage their student athletes to play and block better. That should bump us to at least mid 90's in points scored.
Yeah, I've never figured out why more coaches don't pull out the ol' "Hey you, play better!" coaching technique. Seems full proof.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2019-01-10, 17:41

MiamiSpartan wrote:Isn't Dantonio's loyalty a little bit over-blown? I mean, he did fire Ted Gill and Dan Roushar. Sure, he spun those situations in a different way because he's a class guy, but those guys were not encouraged to stay at MSU to say the least.

Yes, he's still loyal to a large extent. I get that. You need people that you can trust with your life around you in positions like that. That has built a family atmosphere and chemistry with the staff and players. Let's not forget what we've accomplished with Warner, Bollman, and Staten in their current positions. I don't buy this "just got lucky with elite players". That's what people said about the Cousins years. I really believe that that atmosphere and chemistry has been vital in our success, even if it may have also contributed to the down years. But we've had a lot more highs than lows. I'm not saying keep all the coaches. I'm saying that I support whatever Coach D chooses to do with his staff.

I can’t speak about the Gill situation but I thought he waited for Roushar to get another job before letting him go?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-01-10, 17:43

LooseGoose wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Where was the O coordinator’s loyalty to their players by putting them in positions to succeed after recruiting them by blowing smoke up their asses?

Examples?

I think someone posted a statistic about our offensive ranks this past year. Do you need more examples?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2019-01-10, 17:47

MiamiSpartan wrote:Isn't Dantonio's loyalty a little bit over-blown? I mean, he did fire Ted Gill and Dan Roushar. Sure, he spun those situations in a different way because he's a class guy, but those guys were not encouraged to stay at MSU to say the least.

I think that angle has been a bit overplayed. Sure his program has produced fine people. But lets not lose site of the fact it produced some pretty high profile horrible ones as well. Family is all well and good and it gets preached alot. But that family has proved dysfunctional in more than one season. I know I'll catch hell for this but its true. Loyalty has produced casualties.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-01-10, 17:49

steveschneider wrote:

I can’t speak about the Gill situation but I thought he waited for Roushar to get another job before letting him go?
I'd always heard Roushar was "encouraged" to look for another job. Gill was kind of "retired". Word was that he was lazy, especially with recruiting.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2019-01-10, 17:51

kingstonlake wrote:

I think that angle has been a bit overplayed. Sure his program has produced fine people. But lets not lose site of the fact it produced some pretty high profile horrible ones as well. Family is all well and good and it gets preached alot. But that family has proved dysfunctional in more than one season. I know I'll catch hell for this but its true. Loyalty has produced casualties.
That's why I said that it has contributed to our down years, right? But, as I also said, we've had more highs than lows.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-01-10, 17:55

LooseGoose wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

#teammediocrity

LOL....ok CaptainStupidFuck.

You sound smart.