Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sparty banned from the parade circuit

+15
Senior Dickfist
steveschneider
MiamiSpartan
Travis of the Cosmos
WhiteBoyHatcher
Robert J Sakimano
SPARTASOTAN
duffy munn
Other Teams Pursuing That
SawGreen
DWags
Watch Out Pylon!
NigelUno
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
19 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Sparty banned from the parade circuit - Page 3 Empty Re: Sparty banned from the parade circuit

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:15 am

DWags wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Sounds like the parents are products of their environment, because their parents took them. So they take their kids. But has the majority paused and asked, what the fuck are we doing?

I never thought OTPT was this slow.

But to answer your question. YES!!!! Fuck yes! Resounding fucking yes! Every fucking day since March 1st 1997. Every Day. Not one day has gone by when I haven't asked "What the fuck are we doing?". It's like a woody allen movie where shit is just happening to you. You aren't cool anymore, you bring a lawn chair and sunscreen. It often feels like one of the stages of death. Bargaining? Acceptance? Shit I don't know.

So now, I know the question. Why? Why have kids. Can't answer that. I have no idea why. For 22 years I have no idea why you say "lets have a kid". None. Holy shit, you got your firend you're married to, you're having a blast. Dual Income No Kids. Who knows when it's said or why it creeps into your mind. No idea. No answer. Can't come up with a reason for it still. But, when you're at the parade, the soccer matches from hell, the dance competitions. When you empty out a 401K of 200K to pay for college while your no kid friends have a second house somewhere really cool, theres' something OTPT, I don't know what it is, or how to describe it, but there's something and to borrow the shitty phrase "it makes you feel some type of way", but it does. It's just cool. Better than a good bud, more fun than a beer with friends at a bar or skiing somewhere cool. Seems weird, but there it is. So, yeah, parades are part of the deal. I sat through them. Maybe I stunted their growth, maybe I didn't. Don't know that answer either.
Sparty banned from the parade circuit - Page 3 1966794946
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Sparty banned from the parade circuit - Page 3 Empty Re: Sparty banned from the parade circuit

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:18 am

Sparty banned from the parade circuit - Page 3 1966794946 love when d wags talks to himself (this is a parade thread, not having children thread, i think)
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:20 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Sparty banned from the parade circuit - Page 3 1966794946 love when d wags talks to himself (this is a parade thread, not having children thread, i think)

Exactly. Keep up. But didn’t you ask a question?

Last edited by DWags on Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:24 am

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Sparty banned from the parade circuit - Page 3 1966794946 love when d wags talks to himself (this is a parade thread, not having children thread, i think)

Did something bad happen to you at a parade?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:26 am

DWags wrote:

Exactly. Keep up. But didn’t you ask a question?

Sparty banned from the parade circuit - Page 3 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:27 am

duffy munn wrote:

Did something bad happen to you at a parade?

I think he said something about screaming white people.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:28 am

What is happening here? This went from Sparty being the victim of climate change to the philosophy of mating and raising children.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:31 am

DWags wrote:

Sounds like the parents are products of their environment, because their parents took them. So they take their kids. But has the majority paused and asked, what the fuck are we doing?

I never thought OTPT was this slow.

But to answer your question. YES!!!! Fuck yes! Resounding fucking yes! Every fucking day since March 1st 1997. Every Day. Not one day has gone by when I haven't asked "What the fuck are we doing?". It's like a woody allen movie where shit is just happening to you. You aren't cool anymore, you bring a lawn chair and sunscreen. It often feels like one of the stages of death. Bargaining? Acceptance? Shit I don't know.

So now, I know the question. Why? Why have kids. Can't answer that. I have no idea why. For 22 years I have no idea why you say "lets have a kid". None. Holy shit, you got your firend you're married to, you're having a blast. Dual Income No Kids. Who knows when it's said or why it creeps into your mind. No idea. No answer. Can't come up with a reason for it still. But, when you're at the parade, the soccer matches from hell, the dance competitions. When you empty out a 401K of 200K to pay for college while your no kid friends have a second house somewhere really cool, theres' something OTPT, I don't know what it is, or how to describe it, but there's something and to borrow the shitty phrase "it makes you feel some type of way", but it does. It's just cool. Better than a good bud, more fun than a beer with friends at a bar or skiing somewhere cool. Seems weird, but there it is. So, yeah, parades are part of the deal. I sat through them. Maybe I stunted their growth, maybe I didn't. Don't know that answer either.

Sparty banned from the parade circuit - Page 3 1966794946 Sparty banned from the parade circuit - Page 3 1966794946 Sparty banned from the parade circuit - Page 3 1966794946
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:31 am

Hey OTPT, what about going to a parade on LSD?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:32 am

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
steveschneider wrote:My parents took me to parades all the time when I was a kid and look at how I turned out. Sparty banned from the parade circuit - Page 3 2599972566

Case for abolishing parades made. Thank you Steve.

Sparty banned from the parade circuit - Page 3 1486952199
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:33 am

Parades are pre-television era entertainment. It is a mistake of history that they have persisted.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:34 am

Cameron wrote:Parades are pre-television era entertainment. It is a mistake of history that they have persisted.

No it's not. It's a chance to not be a couch potato for at least one day and to get outside and interact with people.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:37 am

steveschneider wrote:
Cameron wrote:Parades are pre-television era entertainment. It is a mistake of history that they have persisted.

No it's not. It's a chance to not be a couch potato for at least one day and to get outside and interact with people.

Sparty banned from the parade circuit - Page 3 4th%20Parade.jpg?NG4aIg6QcScNwm4JkWu3KrUNQb

You might be interacting with people but I'm not sure parades cure the couch potato epidemic. Also, do you really want to interact with others who get geeked about a parade?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:37 am

steveschneider wrote:Hey OTPT, what about going to a parade on LSD?

Sure, it may enhance the experience but the amount of suburbia you’re surrounded by is destined to sour it a bit and you’d wish you were at a local park and or wilderness.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:38 am

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Sparty banned from the parade circuit - Page 3 4th%20Parade.jpg?NG4aIg6QcScNwm4JkWu3KrUNQb

You might be interacting with people but I'm not sure parades cure the couch potato epidemic. Also, do you really want to interact with others who get geeked about a parade?

Not be a couch potato by going to a parade to be a foldable chair potato on the side of road. Come the fuck on, Steve.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:41 am

steveschneider wrote:Hey OTPT, what about going to a parade on LSD?

Sure, it may enhance the experience but the amount of suburbia you’re surrounded by is destined to sour it a bit and you’d wish you were at a local park and or wilderness.

Cities have parades too.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:41 am

I would attend this parade.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:45 am

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

The times have changed. Back in my day we used to stand up at a parade.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:46 am

steveschneider wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

This isn't the 50's Steve. We're pretty fucking soft these days.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:52 am

steveschneider wrote:

I have to admit, now that we march in the parade as alumni it’s kind of fun. Drinking bloody Mary’s on the route throwing candy at kids. Playing the fight song on blast.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:55 am

DWags wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I have to admit, now that we march in the parade as alumni it’s kind of fun. Drinking bloody Mary’s on the route throwing candy at kids. Playing the fight song on blast.

I've been on the Responsible Hospitality Council float for multiple homecoming parades. Most times I didn't drink very responsibly.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:57 am

So this is the manistee parade. The MSU flag guy is my college roommate who has a big law practice in the town. The uofm guy he attacks is a doctor from the town. We’re mostly drunk. Well, really drunk.

https://youtu.be/tCQ_V_y3LG8
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:22 pm

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

This isn't the 50's Steve. We're pretty fucking soft these days.

Which gets back to the original intent of this thread. How soft Sparty has become in 2019.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:32 pm

If there’s a textbook definition of soft it’s a parade and the individuals who attend them.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:35 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:If there’s a textbook definition of soft it’s a parade and the individuals who attend them.

All the tough guys hang out on message boards obviously.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:39 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:If there’s a textbook definition of soft it’s a parade and the individuals who attend them.

yeah. some of the softest little kids in the world attend those damn things. Pussies.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:47 pm

NigelUno wrote:

Sparty banned from the parade circuit - Page 3 1211393

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:53 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Sparty banned from the parade circuit - Page 3 1211393

That guy looks like he could be apart of a parade. Sparty libre & Johnny Spirit marching, with Nigel and Duffy waving from the sidewalk. What a beautiful sight.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:11 pm

My guys would take their MSU flag and whip the shit out of them.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:46 pm

DWags wrote:So this is the manistee parade. The MSU flag guy is my college roommate who has a big law practice in the town. The uofm guy he attacks is a doctor from the town. We’re mostly drunk. Well, really drunk.

https://youtu.be/tCQ_V_y3LG8

Looks like a good time to me.

Also, my office was by 5th Avenue and the veterans day parade was powerful shit. Seeing the old timers go by that fought in Korea, WWII and Vietnam always gave me goose bumps. Didn't seem like those guys were 'soft'.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:52 pm

Also, the great Lou Reed tune about the Halloween Parade. Written during the 80's AIDS epidemic.

"It's also a gay pride anthem during a time in NYC when AIDS was ravaging the city and politicians were doing everything they could to not talk about it. "

Parades sure do seem to mean a lot to marginalized groups.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:05 pm

steveschneider wrote:

Also, the great Lou Reed tune about the Halloween Parade. Written during the 80's AIDS epidemic.

"It's also a gay pride anthem during a time in NYC when AIDS was ravaging the city and politicians were doing everything they could to not talk about it. "

"New York" was a great record.

love me some Dirty Blvd.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:05 pm

DWags wrote:My guys would take their MSU flag and whip the shit out of them.

Sparty banned from the parade circuit - Page 3 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:07 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote: Sparty banned from the parade circuit - Page 3 1211393

That guy looks like he could be apart of a parade. Sparty libre & Johnny Spirit marching, with Nigel and Duffy waving from the sidewalk. What a beautiful sight.

Your kids will probably be moderating message boards by the time they're 5 or 6.

Products of their environment.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:13 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

"New York" was a great record.

love me some Dirty Blvd.

Yeah, that whole album is gold. I think I have every Lou Reed solo album including East River Meditation.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:31 pm

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:If I’m taking my children to a parade and that’s the best thing i got i have failed them
If you ever have children, OTPT, you've already failed them.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:33 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:If I’m taking my children to a parade and that’s the best thing i got i have failed them
I'd say that birth control had failed us all at that point.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:33 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:

100%.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:09 pm

Sheeeeeet. OTPT, you don't have any better or any worse chance of fucking up a kid as any of us do. It's a crap shoot. All guess work and roll of the dice. What works for one parent doesn't work for another. I still get an upset stomach trying to figure shit out.

You don't want to take your kids to a parade, don't do it. I started out trying to say you sometimes are forced to do shit just to get them to shut the hell up. Just sit someday at an airport or at an amusement park and look at the parents faces dragging their kids around with them. They're all fucking miserable. Every last one of them. Sparty banned from the parade circuit - Page 3 502811600
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:18 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:

100%.

If you decide not to have kids I completely respect your choice. But as I said earlier I think your views on certain things will change as you age.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next