Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" End?

+13
Other Teams Pursuing That
duffy munn
aualum06
The Pantry
DWags
Watch Out Pylon!
Robert J Sakimano
Cameron
tGreenWay
Floyd Robertson
AvgMSUJoe
Travis of the Cosmos
Turtleneck
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Geographically, Where Does "Up North" End?

Post by tGreenWay 2019-07-20, 18:29

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Up north is wherever you want it to be.

Open your mind. - Kuato
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" End? - Page 2 Empty Re: Geographically, Where Does "Up North" End?

Post by Turtleneck 2019-07-20, 20:00

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Literally landed on Mackinac Island ten minutes ago to All Summer Long blaring. Thought of tSwill.
sounds like I'd really love it up there. What's not to love? I should check it out. Bet I'd really, REALLY love it.

#WhitePeople

It's a good island to have a beer with.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-07-20, 20:43

Turtleneck wrote:
It's a good island to have a beer with.
Geographically, Where Does "Up North" End? - Page 2 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-07-20, 21:49

I haven't been since college. Had a free day and felt like reluctantly it was kind of a right of passage to take the kids, growing up in Michigan. So we did. They had a really good time, though I'm not really sure what they loved so much because the Fort was stupid and lunch sucked and they didn't like the fudge. But yeah, I can see why, even without knowing him, it would be Hell on earth for someone like Bob. I don't care to ever go back, and 4-5 hours there was enough to cement that for me.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2019-07-20, 21:52

So, where you staying? Up north or down south?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-07-21, 00:28

South. I drove home like an idiot. To no power.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-07-21, 01:05

The kids didn’t like the fudge? What the hell?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-07-21, 07:40

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I haven't been since college. Had a free day and felt like reluctantly it was kind of a right of passage to take the kids, growing up in Michigan. So we did. They had a really good time, though I'm not really sure what they loved so much because the Fort was stupid and lunch sucked and they didn't like the fudge. But yeah, I can see why, even without knowing him, it would be Hell on earth for someone like Bob. I don't care to ever go back, and 4-5 hours there was enough to cement that for me.
thank you.

Sorry the trip sucked. I would say something like "you've been warned" but I don't wanna be a jerk.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-07-21, 08:31

tGreenWay wrote:The kids didn’t like the fudge? What the hell?

Too sweet.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2019-07-21, 11:39

Fuck mackinaw.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-07-21, 15:35

DWags wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:The kids didn’t like the fudge? What the hell?

Too sweet.

For adults, sure, but kids are supposed to dig all that sugar. It’s whats paid for dentists’ boats for generations. Or maybe Hatch is teaching his kids to eat healthy, which is just a commie plot to take all the fun out of everything.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-07-21, 15:36

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Fuck mackinaw.

g-Host weighs in.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2019-07-21, 15:43

Petoskey
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-07-21, 17:41

My kids dig sweets. I'm not a sweets guy (I like pie though), but I typically dig fudge. It wasn't really very good. Murdicks or muledicks or something or other. Pretty place. Main Street is a shit show.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2019-07-21, 17:43

On the other hand there was a cool t shirt shop that would print any design they had on display on the shirt of your choosing right then and there. Including the one that said "I'm not gay but $20 is $20." Almost got that one for my son.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-07-21, 18:45

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:On the other hand there was a cool t shirt shop that would print any design they had on display on the shirt of your choosing right then and there. Including the one that said "I'm not gay but $20 is $20." Almost got that one for my son.

As the Senior Writer for tSwill I should go and write an article about my travels.

Kinda like a Hondo-esque project but for people who passed WRA 101 and can at least name 5 fruits and/or vegetables.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-07-21, 20:12

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:My kids dig sweets. I'm not a sweets guy (I like pie though), but I typically dig fudge. It wasn't really very good. Murdicks or muledicks or something or other. Pretty place. Main Street is a shit show.

Yeah, fudge is way too sweet for me, too, but from my experience as a kid, Kilwin’s >>>> Murdick’s.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2019-07-21, 20:52

tGreenWay wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:My kids dig sweets. I'm not a sweets guy (I like pie though), but I typically dig fudge. It wasn't really very good. Murdicks or muledicks or something or other. Pretty place. Main Street is a shit show.

Yeah, fudge is way too sweet for me, too, but from my experience as a kid, Kilwin’s >>>> Murdick’s.

There's two different Murdick's. The original doesn't have a place on Mackinac Island any longer. There's like an island mafia running all the businesses and rentals, the original Murdick got forced out.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-07-21, 21:08

Jake from State Farm wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

There's two different Murdick's. The original doesn't have a place on Mackinac Island any longer. There's like an island mafia running all the businesses and rentals, the original Murdick got forced out.

Probably involves the Musser family and (I think it’s) the Browns, or whichever family owned a couple of the ferry services, which forced out a third service a few years ago. Marlee Brown married merged into the Musser family and it created quite a stellar business arrangement. (That’s just my jaded opinion.)

Edit: p.s. Marlee Brown was ridiculously attractive 25 years ago. Time has def caught up to her.

Last edited by tGreenWay on 2019-07-22, 01:48; edited 2 times in total
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-07-21, 21:10

BTW, there’s either a Murdick’s or Kilwin’s on Martha’s Vineyard. Maybe it’s the original Murdick’s.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-07-21, 23:45

tGreenWay wrote:
Jake from State Farm wrote:

Probably involves the Musser family and (I think it’s) the Browns, or whichever family owned a couple of the ferry services, which forced out a third service a few years ago. Marlee Brown married merged into the Musser family and it created quite a stellar business arrangement. (That’s just my jaded opinion.)

Arnold Transit folded, and Star Line bought several of their ferries and properties in 2016.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-07-22, 01:19

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Arnold Transit folded, and Star Line bought several of their ferries and properties in 2016.

I don’t remember the specifics, but I recall Arnold being told it couldn’t use the docks anymore. Seemed to be a power play move to get rid competition since one group owned the other two, Star Line and Shepler’s.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-07-22, 01:45

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" End? - Page 2 502811600 Poor Bob. He must be so lost in these last few posts.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2019-07-22, 05:14

tGreenWay wrote:Geographically, Where Does "Up North" End? - Page 2 502811600 Poor Bob. He must be so lost in these last few posts.

I don't know, man. I know my way around a block of fudge.

5'2"
268 lbs
48X28
RHR = 148 bpm
BP = 178/112 mmHg
Blood type = khaki

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-07-22, 06:56

The History Channel should air a show about the Mackinac Mafia.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2019-07-22, 07:09

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:The History Channel should air a show about the Mackinac Mafia.

I think maybe it belongs on NatGeo, since it's a question of geography.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-07-22, 07:58

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:The History Channel should air a show about the Mackinac Mafia.

I think maybe it belongs on NatGeo, since it's a question of geography.

Good call. Discovery could do a show on the Mackinac horses.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-07-22, 08:51

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:On the other hand there was a cool t shirt shop that would print any design they had on display on the shirt of your choosing right then and there. Including the one that said "I'm not gay but $20 is $20." Almost got that one for my son.
Speaking of shitty tourist traps... I got a picture with my son next to that T shirt at Myrtle Beach.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2019-07-22, 08:52

That would be intriguing... Seriously. Them SOBs have pull.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-07-22, 10:05

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
Speaking of shitty tourist traps... I got a picture with my son next to that T shirt at Myrtle Beach.

My wife got a pic of me in front of t-shirt shop in Key West, standing next to a shirt that said “I pooped today!”
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2019-07-22, 10:19

If some place is more tourist trappy than Venice Beach I have yet to see it. Good lord, we walked most of it after the Rose Bowl and every fifth shop was a t-shirt shop.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2019-07-22, 11:19

tGreenWay wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:

My wife got a pic of me in front of t-shirt shop in Key West, standing next to a shirt that said “I pooped today!”

Do you have the app?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2019-07-22, 11:57

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:If some place is more tourist trappy than Venice Beach I have yet to see it. Good lord, we walked most of it after the Rose Bowl and every fifth shop was a t-shirt shop.

I gave probably 50 t-shirts to Goodwill last year, half of them unworn. I don't even go in those places anymore.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-07-22, 13:11

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

since one group owned the other two, Star Line and Shepler’s.

Suspect
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2019-07-22, 15:25

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I don’t remember the specifics, but I recall Arnold being told it couldn’t use the docks anymore. Seemed to be a power play move to get rid competition since one group owned the other two, Star Line and Shepler’s.

The Browns sold The Arnold Line. New ownership was awful (to say the least). There was a point where Shepler’s and Star Line thought they were going to get squeezed out of the market completely (but that obviously didn’t happen). Arnold’s sold the property at the end of their dock and easement onto the island. They were leasing the easement and didn’t make a payment. The owner wouldn’t let them off of their dock and onto the island (kind of a problem for a ferry service and for island supplies). I think that lasted a day or two maybe, but it was the beginning of the end. Or the middle of the end. Or some part of the end.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-07-22, 15:27

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

since one group owned the other two, Star Line and Shepler’s.

Suspect

They don’t?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-07-22, 15:29

NigelUno wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

The Browns sold The Arnold Line. New ownership was awful (to say the least). There was a point where Shepler’s and Star Line thought they were going to get squeezed out of the market completely (but that obviously didn’t happen). Arnold’s sold the property at the end of their dock and easement onto the island. They were leasing the easement and didn’t make a payment. The owner wouldn’t let them off of their dock and onto the island (kind of a problem for a ferry service and for island supplies). I think that lasted a day or two maybe, but it was the beginning of the end. Or the middle of the end. Or some part of the end.

Thanks! This was very helpful, unlike Turtleneck's one smilie response. So childish.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-07-22, 17:41

tGreenWay wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Thanks! This was very helpful, unlike Turtleneck's one smilie response. So childish.

Sorry you had bad info, bro.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2019-07-22, 18:29

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Sorry you had bad info, bro.

Meh. You’ll still forever be known as the guy who was less helpful, less informative, and less mature than Nigel.

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" End? - Page 2 2943907172
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2019-07-22, 18:37

That's fine. Sounds no better or no worse than the guy who tried to name drop on a message board about local politics in Mackinaw City.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next