Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?

+45
TrapperGus
Dendrobates
Motown Spartan
MattyFresh
Other Teams Pursuing That
MiamiSpartan
Banks2Mason
NigelUno
duffy munn
Travis of the Cosmos
kingstonlake
Floyd Robertson
Nordic
WhiteBoyHatcher
steveschneider
tGreenWay
aualum06
Townie
Cameron
AvgMSUJoe
SPARTASOTAN
Three_Putt_Par
Code_Warrior
Rocinante
cardinal fang
WBill
Mentalstate
Chief Sparty
Duke Silver
Heat Miser
Jethro Bodeen
dubie7006
Munn Field
Wally Fairway
By-Tor
DWags
The Pantry
InTenSity
Turtleneck
TrueGreenSpartan
Blanch32
Watch Out Pylon!
Giant Moose
Jake from State Farm
Robert J Sakimano
49 posters

Page 1 of 25 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

Go down

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  Empty Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-08-05, 11:47

I need to know for my Instagram account.. thanks...

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  Empty Re: Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-08-05, 11:48

The big hill north of Clare.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  Empty Re: Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?

Post by Giant Moose 2014-08-05, 11:51

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  250px-Mason-dixon-line
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2014-08-05, 11:57

The Welcome Center outside of Clare on 127.

Last edited by Watch Out Pylon! on 2014-08-05, 12:40; edited 1 time in total
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-08-05, 12:02

Jake from State Farm wrote:The big hill north of Clare.
so if I'm enjoying the windswept beaches of west Michigan with my photogenic and very non-threatening family and our golden retriever.. the sultry sounds of John Mayer streaming from my iPod.. preppping for a crackling bonfire in the gorgeous gloam of early evening.. if I'm not past the "big hill north of Clare", it doesn't count as "Up North" for the purposes of Instagram?

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-08-05, 12:05

Pinnconning
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-08-05, 12:05

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I need to know for my Instagram account.. thanks...

It's a state of mind.

But geographically I say M-55.

But any of these definitions are close.....

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  Michigan

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  Bilde?Site=C4&Date=20130803&Category=OPINION05&ArtNo=308030009&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0&Michigan-Reflections-Where-exactly-does-Up-North-begin-anyway-

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  Northern-michigan-map
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by TrueGreenSpartan 2014-08-05, 12:06

Is Up North a state of mind or an actual place? That is the question!!!
TrueGreenSpartan
TrueGreenSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-08-05, 12:13

55 is good, but I don't think of West Branch as up north. I say 55 to HL, north to 72, and then east.

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2014-08-05, 12:15; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-08-05, 12:13

Anything north of Ft. Lauderdale.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2014-08-05, 12:21

Generally accepted to be the 45th parallel sign on I-75 near Gaylord

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  45th_p10

Personally, I don't feel really up north until spotting the Mackinaw Bridge stanchions

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  Up_nor10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-08-05, 12:32

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
so if I'm enjoying the windswept beaches of west Michigan with my photogenic and very non-threatening family and our golden retriever.. the sultry sounds of John Mayer streaming from my iPod.. preppping for a crackling bonfire in the gorgeous gloam of early evening..    if I'm not past the "big hill north of Clare", it doesn't count as "Up North" for the purposes of Instagram?

I suppose anywhere north of a line from Whitehall to the big hill would qualify. But if you're burning tree chunks south of there along said windswept beaches it doesn't really qualify as up north. It doesn't qualify as out west either. Maybe just gitchigumi area?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-08-05, 12:49

All good defs, but it also depends on where you grew up. Growing up in Manistee Clare is like equator south to me. Now living in metro detroit I feel like I'm getting "up north" when I pass the Clare rest area.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-08-05, 13:22

we should probably come up with an Up North legend on the Michigan map... so we can more easily define our individual experience on Instagram and Facebook..

for instance, Kyle and Katie might spend the weekend in Traverse City with their very good friends from college. That might equal 2 bonfires or one set of wooden water ski art on the wall..

then, Tyler and Madison might spend the exact same weekend at, say, Charlevoix with friends from the country club. In their mind, Kyle and Katie's 2 bonfire weekend (or one set of wooden water ski art on the wall weekend) might pale in comparison to their experience that, say, can be more easily defined as one sail into the Lake Michigan sunset compounded by 2 wine tasting excursions..

I'm just wanting to make sure that my followers on Facebook and Instagram get an accurate representation of how good my life is..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2014-08-05, 13:36

Robert J Sakimano wrote:we should probably come up with an Up North legend on the Michigan map... so we can more easily define our individual experience on Instagram and Facebook..

for instance, Kyle and Katie might spend the weekend in Traverse City with their very good friends from college. That might equal 2 bonfires or one set of wooden water ski art on the wall..

then, Tyler and Madison might spend the exact same weekend at, say, Charlevoix with friends from the country club. In their mind, Kyle and Katie's 2 bonfire weekend (or one set of wooden water ski art on the wall weekend) might pale in comparison to their experience that, say, can be more easily defined as one sail into the Lake Michigan sunset compounded by 2 wine tasting excursions..

I'm just wanting to make sure that my followers on Facebook and Instagram get an accurate representation of how good my life is..

Madison sounds hot.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-08-05, 13:41

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Madison sounds hot.
you might like him.. he and Tyler also enjoy Saugatuck a lot.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-08-05, 13:43

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Jesus, anybody on the "A" list knows Saugatuck is only "up north" for Chicago money.

It's got to suck working in an office for the man.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2014-08-05, 13:44

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I'll bring the wine, but that is definitely not an up north experience.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-08-05, 13:44

DWags wrote:All good defs, but it also depends on where you grew up.  Growing up in Manistee Clare is like equator south to me.  Now living in metro detroit I feel like I'm getting "up north" when I pass the Clare rest area.  

Ummm- Isnt Clare basically due east from Manistee?

I would vote for M-55 as the unofficial point of Up NOrth
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-08-05, 13:46

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

I'll bring the wine, but that is definitely not an up north experience.
guess it depends on which way your compass points..  Wink 
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-08-05, 13:49

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
guess it depends on which way your compass points..  Wink 
You'll have to ask Minnie but I do believe some have a preference between compasses that point True North or Magnetic North.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-08-05, 13:55

By-Tor wrote:

Ummm- Isnt Clare  basically due east from Manistee?

Em, M55 is due east from Manistee. Which brings you to Cadillac. Which is actually a bit south of Manistee as the crow flies I believe. Then keep going to Roscommon which is a bit north of Manistee as the crow flies. and then I'd guess West Branch which is about as close to the lines of latitude as you can get to Manistee.

But I'm guessing as the crow flies Clare is 35-40 miles south of Manistee. Still, it seemed forever when we were playing them in football. Especiallydown 115.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-08-05, 13:56

Giant Moose wrote:
You'll have to ask Minnie but I do believe some have a preference between compasses that point True North or Magnetic North.
good idea.. I'll friend her on Facebook.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-08-05, 14:44

By-Tor wrote:

Ummm- Isnt Clare  basically due east from Manistee?

55 is Manistee, Cadillac, West Branch, and Tawas City from LM to LH. Clare is a bit south. I would not toss in West Branch or Tawas city as up north, but oddly enough would include Caddilac.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-08-05, 14:46

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I'm heading to Saugatuck this weekend for golf - I'll tell Madison & Tyler that Bobby Sak say "hey"
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-08-05, 14:47

Wally Fairway wrote:
I'm heading to Saugatuck this weekend for golf - I'll tell Madison & Tyler that Bobby Sak say "hey"
cool - have fun.. they're nice kids.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Munn Field 2014-08-05, 14:56

Wait a minute. This thread is sarcastic, isn't it?! What's next Bob? Are going to also start a sarcastic thread about other message board favorites like "which dorm did you live in?" Or maybe the FB/Instagram past time of food pictures?
Munn Field
Munn Field
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 2014-08-05, 17:43

St. Joe is definitely up north!

Signed,

Morans
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jethro Bodeen 2014-08-05, 17:52

dubie7006 wrote:St. Joe is definitely up north!

Signed,

Morans

It seems the "up north" feel is all along the west coast of Michigan. When I'm in Muskegon area I definitely feel like I'm in northern Michigan.
Its a matter of getting away.
Jethro Bodeen
Jethro Bodeen
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by dubie7006 2014-08-05, 18:24

Jethro Bodeen wrote:

It seems the "up north" feel is all along the west coast of Michigan. When I'm in Muskegon area I definitely feel like I'm in northern Michigan.
Its a matter of getting away.  

Getting away is fine but that's not up north. One of my friends has a cottage in St. Joe and tells me he's going up north every summer. I want to slap him.
dubie7006
dubie7006
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-08-05, 18:48

Turtleneck wrote:

55 is Manistee, Cadillac, West Branch, and Tawas City from LM to LH. Clare is a bit south. I would not toss in West Branch or Tawas city as up north, but oddly enough would include Caddilac.

Tawas is definitely up north
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-08-05, 18:57

Nothing south of Oscoda on the east side.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-08-05, 19:06

at what point, geographically, will my neighbors and friends online be envious of my travels?

I guess that's my real motivation..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-08-05, 19:21

Robert J Sakimano wrote:at what point, geographically, will my neighbors and friends online be envious of my travels?

When you go to Europe...the second time...for a long weekend.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-08-05, 19:21

Robert J Sakimano wrote:at what point, geographically, will my neighbors and friends online be envious of my travels?

I think your neighbors will be happy once you're north of DeWitt.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Duke Silver 2014-08-05, 19:27

Hasn't the definition of up north changed over time? I live on Lake in Livingston County and I know my house was built as cottage up north to a businessman from Detroit 100 years ago
Duke Silver
Duke Silver
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-08-05, 19:49

I'm guessing nobody will ever be envious of anything Bob or any poon blanch scores.

But let us know when you hit Escanaba. You never know.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chief Sparty 2014-08-05, 19:52

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  46168427

I always felt like the Zilwaukee Bridge was the gateway to the north.
Chief Sparty
Chief Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-08-05, 20:22

Chief Sparty wrote:Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  46168427

I always felt like the Zilwaukee Bridge was the gateway to the north.

Maybe if you're from Tennessee
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-08-05, 20:27

LooseGoose wrote:

I think your neighbors will be happy once you're north of DeWitt.

Geographically, Where Does "Up North" Begin?  502811600 

I always get a kick out of the right wing nut political signs the farther north I get out of East Lansing on my bike.. DeWitt seems rather open-minded compared to some of the other more rural Michigan-like areas.. some of the best are up past Laingsburg going toward Owosso...

going west, Grand Ledge is always fun.. and then toward Portland and Ionia. Yikes.

I bet they don't enjoy sun-soaked days on Lake Michigan.. with LL Bean dog beds for their golden labs.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 25 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next