Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody ever stayed on an east coast beach in Maine?

+11
MiamiSpartan
NigelUno
steveschneider
Jake from State Farm
AvgMSUJoe
Rocinante
The Pantry
Turtleneck
Nordic
Watch Out Pylon!
DWags
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anybody ever stayed on an east coast beach in Maine?  Empty Anybody ever stayed on an east coast beach in Maine?

Post by DWags Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:10 pm

If so, fill me in.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Anybody ever stayed on an east coast beach in Maine?  Empty Re: Anybody ever stayed on an east coast beach in Maine?

Post by Watch Out Pylon! Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:37 pm

All i know about Maine is don't bury anything in an Indian burial ground. Sometimes dead is better.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Anybody ever stayed on an east coast beach in Maine?  Empty Re: Anybody ever stayed on an east coast beach in Maine?

Post by Nordic Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:53 pm

Bar Harbor. I was 12. I don't remember any beaches. Just rocks.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:02 pm

You’re gonna get crabs.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:19 pm

Acadia NP is beautiful. Huge. Camped 5 nights there years ago. Couple campground areas. The one we were at didn't have an actual beach but you could climb down the rocks/boulders to find a cozy spot by the water. Park has swimming areas. Only went there once...have always wanted to go back.

Bar Harbor isn't far away. Sorta like Mackinaw City but not quite as touristy. Great restaurants. I recommend a whale watch trip.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:57 pm

Yes.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:05 pm

I don't remember it as a beach atmosphere. Food was exceptional. Bar harba And Acadia beautiful.

Rhode Island and cape cod had some beaches...
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:46 pm

Cape cod sounds expensive
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:31 am

Walker's Point where the Bush's house is is effing beautiful. Coastline is all rocky there though. Big wide beaches south of there at low tide. Check out google earth pro, there's plenty of pictures.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:46 am

Yes, and recently. The coast of Maine is incredible. My take is you drive up it and there’s all these quaint towns and you stop and explore. The lobster is incredible and Acadia is amazing. Warning about Acadia there are some hikes that are no joke study up and make sure you know what you are in for. Very challenging and you gotta be able to handle the heights.

I just went up to the mountains of Maine’s which is completely different and also stunning. If you have any questions happy to answer.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:48 am

[tw]1293986562540216320[/tw]
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:51 am

DWags wrote:Cape cod sounds expensive

I think the Cape is overrated but if you go you want to get way out their towards the end. It’s more natural and better beaches. Relatives drive their Jeep over a dune but they pretty much have the beach to them selves all day and they love it. They see whales and seals. One thing sharks are no joke out there these days there’s warnings all the time. I like the Plymouth area a lot as well. it’s less expensive and less hassle.  Great beaches, fun to kayak out on the water and great lobster shacks.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:56 am

steveschneider wrote:

I think the Cape is overrated but if you go you want to get way out their towards the end. It’s more natural and better beaches. Relatives drive their Jeep out on a dune they have to lower the tire pressure, drive out but they pretty much have the beach to them selves. They see whales and seals. One thing sharks are no joke out there these days there’s warnings all the time. I like the Plymouth area a lot as well. it’s less expensive and less hassle.  Great beaches, fun to kayak out on the water and great lobster shacks.

Kayak?

I'd get a bigger boat.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:09 am

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I think the Cape is overrated but if you go you want to get way out their towards the end. It’s more natural and better beaches. Relatives drive their Jeep out on a dune they have to lower the tire pressure, drive out but they pretty much have the beach to them selves. They see whales and seals. One thing sharks are no joke out there these days there’s warnings all the time. I like the Plymouth area a lot as well. it’s less expensive and less hassle.  Great beaches, fun to kayak out on the water and great lobster shacks.

Kayak?

I'd get a bigger boat.

You gotta be smart but it’s incredible. You see some amazing aquatic life and birds. Worth the risk imo.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:24 am

Sorry, I've only been to Maine's west coast beaches.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:17 am

Who wants to know? Suspect
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:25 am

I'll second Acadia, beautiful place. Beaches are nice, but the ocean is damn cold. There are lakes to swim in Acadia, stay in Bar Harbor area, nice tourist town, head to the park, drive the coast, eat lobster, what more do you want?
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:12 pm

it's okay, but it's no Up North.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:18 pm

I.B. Fine wrote:I'll second Acadia, beautiful place. Beaches are nice, but the ocean is damn cold. There are lakes to swim in Acadia, stay in Bar Harbor area, nice tourist town, head to the park, drive the coast, eat lobster, what more do you want?

We stayed outside of Bar Harbor at a B&B, there's nice options outside of that area as well. There is an additional part of the park north of park that is pretty amazing. I sat on this rocky shore and watched huge ass waves crashing on the rocks. It was pretty spectacular.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:06 pm

Got me a real nice Acadia NP hat from the shop near the top on Cadillac Mountain. Yep, they sell some real nice hats there. Course, that was about 15 years ago or so. Lotta hats they make today are crap. Might be willing to part with mine if the price was right. Then again, maybe not, cuz it’s a real nice, comfortable hat. Real nice. Anybody ever stayed on an east coast beach in Maine?  3003718628
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:44 pm

Ah yuh. Ya caant get theya from heaya.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:05 pm

Are you going for a couple of weeks (or more)?

Keep Maine Healthy FAQs

Visitors should have a sample taken for a COVID-19 "PCR" test no longer than 72 hours prior to arrival in Maine. The result must indicate the visitor is COVID-19 negative. Alternatively, the visitor may commit to quarantining upon arrival in Maine for 14 days.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:27 pm

Maine beer:

Was in Bar Harbor/Acadia in 2003.  Bar Harbor Brewery made Cadillac Mountain Stout...one of the best stouts I've tried.  Atlantic Brewing Company acquired BHB in 2008 when the owners retired.  Atlantic still makes Cadillac Mountain.  According to Beer Advocate, it's still excellent.

Atlantic Brewing Company

Cadillac Mountain Stout
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:28 pm

DWags is gonna hunt down Moose. Anybody ever stayed on an east coast beach in Maine?  1550444538
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:34 pm

Mrs. GW and I both really loved Portland. Again, it was 15 years ago, but they had triple A baseball and a beautiful waterfront. City planners were smart to keep the old part of the city. Great local restaurants. Actually considered moving there but changed our mind because the winters are worse than here in EL.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:37 pm

I thought Moose was in the DC area...?

btw...Goose is thriving on the BBQ forum. Not sure what make but he appears to have a nice stick burner.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:52 pm

tGreenWay wrote:Mrs. GW and I both really loved Portland. Again, it was 15 years ago, but they had triple A baseball and a beautiful waterfront. City planners were smart to keep the old part of the city. Great local restaurants. Actually considered moving there but changed our mind because the winters are worse than here in EL.
So how where the early bird specials back then? Lots of nice soft food for you?
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:02 pm

I.B. Fine wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Mrs. GW and I both really loved Portland. Again, it was 15 years ago, but they had triple A baseball and a beautiful waterfront. City planners were smart to keep the old part of the city. Great local restaurants. Actually considered moving there but changed our mind because the winters are worse than here in EL.
So how where the early bird specials back then? Lots of nice soft food for you?

Best creamed spinach on the Eastern seaboard. Anybody ever stayed on an east coast beach in Maine?  1811933421
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:16 pm

So DWags, is ya gonna tell us what yer plans is?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:09 pm

Honestly I don’t know yet.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:23 pm

You poor bro?
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:29 pm

DWags wrote:Honestly I don’t know yet.

Mrs. GreenWay is from New England. Her family vacationed on the Cape a lot. Think she also had a few vacations in Maine, IIRC. She’s helped several friends with suggestions on what to see around NE, even planned a couple of vacations and one honeymoon for friends. If you have questions or want suggestions, let me know.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:33 pm

btw, in my limited experience, New England beaches aren’t comparable to what we’re used to Up North. I still prefer our sand and fresh water.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:47 pm

tGreenWay wrote:btw, in my limited experience, New England beaches aren’t comparable to what we’re used to Up North. I still prefer our sand and fresh water.
Please tell Bob. His repetitive shit about "Up North" is getting really old, considering he's never been there.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:04 am

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:btw, in my limited experience, New England beaches aren’t comparable to what we’re used to Up North. I still prefer our sand and fresh water.
Please tell Bob. His repetitive shit about "Up North" is getting really old, considering he's never been there.

Right. Because that would make a difference. Anybody ever stayed on an east coast beach in Maine?  502811600
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry and Other Teams Pursuing That like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:05 am

Motown Spartan wrote:

You poor bro?

I’m pretty sure I am.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:17 pm

There are some outrageously expensive places on the cape, but as I recall it's bigger than you think and you can find somewhere....
Narragansett is nice.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:21 pm

DWags wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

You poor bro?

I’m pretty sure I am.

That would explain the Bud Lite.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:29 pm

AvgMSUJoe wrote:There are some outrageously expensive places on the cape, but as I recall it's bigger than you think and you can find somewhere....
Narragansett is nice.

First time for me on the Cape was an overnight trip. Took Hwy 6 all the way to Ptown. That was an eye opener, even for me. Great artists work for not horrible prices. Drove 6A back, wandered and meandered, stopped at a cemetery and there was a headstone with only the words: Revolutionary War Soldier. Pretty cool. I mean, not for him...
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:38 am

Is Acadia the #1 Big Cadillac Park?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next