Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should college football be happening right now?

+13
GRR Spartan
Cameron
Nordic
tGreenWay
Travis of the Cosmos
steveschneider
WhiteBoyHatcher
Other Teams Pursuing That
Turtleneck
MiamiSpartan
Robert J Sakimano
DWags
Watch Out Pylon!
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should college football be happening right now? Empty Should college football be happening right now?

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-11-01, 23:25

Turtleneck! Get in here!
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Should college football be happening right now? Empty Re: Should college football be happening right now?

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-11-01, 23:30

For every game TN doesn't watch I'm going to watch two. Should college football be happening right now? 3493939353
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Should college football be happening right now? Empty Re: Should college football be happening right now?

Post by DWags 2020-11-01, 23:32

I don’t know about now. But I’m glad it happened yesterday.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan, tGreenWay, duffy munn, Motown Spartan, MSU addict and Watch Out Pylon! like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-11-02, 06:17

no, but I'm watching it anyway. All of it.

Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays.

if they're playing, I'm watching.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-11-02, 07:13

DWags wrote:I don’t know about now. But I’m glad it happened yesterday.

Yes, as someone who said last week that all games should be cancelled for this past weekend, Inhave revised my opinion that last week was the only week that should have been played.

In all seriousness, I think it would be better to not play, but I understand that it is really difficult not to, especially when other sports are playing (yeah, yeah, unpaid athletes, but still).

Since we as a country haven't taken this virus seriously (no tBin), it is hard to say that sports should be such an exception.

I don't really get boycotting watching games on this moral stance unless you also boycott outside the pandemic, since the same concerns (health/safety, unpaid athletes) exist then. But that's just my opinion, to each their own.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-11-02, 08:29

MiamiSpartan wrote:
DWags wrote:I don’t know about now. But I’m glad it happened yesterday.

Yes, as someone who said last week that all games should be cancelled  for this past weekend, Inhave revised my opinion that last week was the only week that should have been played.

In all seriousness, I think it would be better to not play, but I understand that it is really difficult not to, especially when other sports are playing (yeah, yeah, unpaid athletes, but still).  

Since we as a country haven't taken this virus seriously (no tBin), it is hard to say that sports should be such an exception.

I don't really get boycotting watching games on this moral stance unless you also boycott outside the pandemic, since the same concerns (health/safety, unpaid athletes) exist then.  But that's just my opinion, to each their own.

I stopped watching CFB in December of 2019. I did not watch a single bowl game or the CFP, including the Pinstripe Bowl. I didn't watch any CBB after the UM @ MSU game in the first week of January, including MSU in the BTT. I just didn't have it in me anymore; I wasn't feeling it. Playing during the pandemic made it worse. Taking a break is a choice I made. It applies only to me. If Pylon wants to call me out, I shouldn't get so agitated, but I certainly don't question anybody for watching and I shouldn't be so smarmy about it before getting called out by Pylon.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2020-11-02, 08:43

You, Pantry, & Guest should form the No Pylons alliance. Should college football be happening right now? 502811600
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2020-11-02, 09:01

Yawn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2020-11-02, 09:37

I don't know. But I'm glad it is!
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-11-02, 09:44

I'm torn, I was against it from the onset but the data on heart damage is encouraging. Other side of the coin the national strategy (at the time) appears to be to lets all go for herd immunity. I don't agree with it but in the current climate at some point or another every business is going to have to get it going to make revenue.

Also, I'll say it again pay the damn players. These kids are incredible and they are worth every penny.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-11-02, 09:50

I only have so much bandwidth to care about things enough to form an opinion on them. At the end of the day some things are going to get to the cutting room floor and I’m not going to make a decision on a stance at all. They are playing and no one cares what I think about it, least of all me.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-11-02, 10:00

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:You, Pantry, & Guest should form the No Pylons alliance. Should college football be happening right now? 502811600

There was one from 2015-2018. The executive committee of the alliance was chaired by Travis. At one time there was 17 members.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-11-02, 10:01

I bought Turtleneck a full semester of an online quilters’ club gift certificate.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-11-02, 10:06

Turtleneck wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Yes, as someone who said last week that all games should be cancelled  for this past weekend, Inhave revised my opinion that last week was the only week that should have been played.

I don't really get boycotting watching games on this moral stance unless you also boycott outside the pandemic, since the same concerns (health/safety, unpaid athletes) exist then.  But that's just my opinion, to each their own.

I stopped watching CFB in December of 2019. I did not watch a single bowl game or the CFP, including the Pinstripe Bowl. I didn't watch any CBB after the UM @ MSU game in the first week of January, including MSU in the BTT. I just didn't have it in me anymore; I wasn't feeling it. Playing during the pandemic made it worse. Taking a break is a choice I made. It applies only to me. If Pylon wants to call me out, I shouldn't get so agitated, but I certainly don't question anybody for watching and I shouldn't be so smarmy about it before getting called out by Pylon.

That's fine. I respect the choice you made, and not watching now is consistent with that.

But to be honest, I'm not sure I can take your predictions on our records seriously anymore.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-11-02, 10:10

Also, Turtleneck my memory is a bit foggy but didn't you used to read me the riot act when I was pro paying the players like 4 - 5 years ago? What happened?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-11-02, 10:26

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I only have so much bandwidth to care about things enough to form an opinion on them. At the end of the day some things are going to get to the cutting room floor and I’m not going to make a decision on a stance at all. They are playing and no one cares what I think about it, least of all me.

Pretty much this. My opinion on this topic and other corona related topics changes and shifts quite a bit. Testing changed, info changed and at the end of the day there are people more qualified than me to make that decision.

IMO the BIG fucked in their timing of the cancellation, not necessarily the cancellation itself. Same with their restart plan/schedule. But overall they seem to taking the opinions of doctors and science very seriously (at least in the BIG).

And yes, pay them.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-11-02, 10:49

steveschneider wrote:Also, Turtleneck my memory is a bit foggy but didn't you used to read me the riot act when I was pro paying the players like 4 - 5 years ago? What happened?

I definitely owned up to being selfish and wrong about that, and there is a thread around here that says as much.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2020-11-02, 11:04

Turtleneck wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:You, Pantry, & Guest should form the No Pylons alliance. Should college football be happening right now? 502811600

There was one from 2015-2018. The executive committee of the alliance was chaired by Travis. At one time there was 17 members.

GBWs are still very much alive
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2020-11-02, 11:34

GBW 4 lyfe
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2020-11-02, 11:58

I think enough schools will play fast and loose with interpretation that they will slog thru the FBS series. It’s no coincidence that Ohio State and umaa were reportedly the Bg Ten schools to supporti Nebraska’s attempt to replace Wisconsin with Tennessee-Chattanooga last week.

That being said, those 3 games for the National Championship* (*for COVID) will be the only post season games TV gets.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2020-11-02, 12:03

Of course they should be playing, the virus will be gone tomorrow anyways...
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2020-11-02, 12:18

Motown Spartan wrote:Of course they should be playing, the virus will be gone tomorrow anyways...

Like a miracle.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Dendrobates 2020-11-02, 13:23

I don't think they should. But no matter how loud people complain , they are still going to do it. What I think means nothing. I am going to watch and cheer while it is on as what I do or don't do makes no difference.
Dendrobates
Dendrobates
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-11-02, 14:31

Following an emergency meeting in executive session, the Co9 has voted to take no official position on the resumption of intercollegiate athletics. A motion to discuss college football’s “pay for play” option was tabled for discussion at our next meeting.
The Council took one more action, voting unanimously to place a formal Letter of Reprimand in Turtleneck’s file for being a dink.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2020-11-02, 14:51

I enjoy college football so much, I'm watching a replay of Saturday's game right now.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-11-12, 17:10

I'm moving towards it should shut down.

Lets face it this season doesn't even feel real. Numbers are exploding across the country and we gotta get a handle on this.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-11-12, 17:15

Shut up, Andre.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and Other Teams Pursuing That like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2020-11-12, 17:32

Turtleneck wrote:Shut up, Andre.

I was starting to get on the same page as you.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-11-12, 17:44

It’s Thursday afternoon. Why would there be football right now?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-11-12, 17:46

tGreenWay wrote:It’s Thursday afternoon. Why would there be football right now?

Shut up, Taco.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2020-11-12, 19:38

Turtleneck wrote:

Shut up, Taco.

Lol
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-11-14, 20:27

Are players going to lose a year of eligibility because of this shit show, or will they get this year back if they want it?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2020-11-14, 21:04

Turtleneck wrote:Are players going to lose a year of eligibility because of this shit show, or will they get this year back if they want it?

I believe that this year does NOT count against eligibility. Or maybe it is just that it counts as a red shirt year if players have that available.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-11-14, 21:05

Turtleneck wrote:

Shut up, Taco.

Whatevs, Rafi.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2020-11-14, 21:34

tGreenWay wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Shut up, Taco.

Whatevs, Rafi.

We would need to get Blanch back to have a Rafi.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2020-11-14, 21:37

Turtleneck wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Whatevs, Rafi.

We would need to get Blanch back to have a Rafi.

That seems like something Rafi would say.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2020-11-14, 22:03

Yes. Selfishly I feel like as a society we need the distraction. However, I don’t think the season will finish, sadly
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2020-11-14, 22:42

Bill Cain wrote:Yes. Selfishly I feel like as a society we need the distraction. However, I don’t think the season will finish, sadly

Thanks for this Bill. Well said.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2021-01-11, 11:02

Instead, it is a tale of avarice, exploitation, and, above all, far too much harm. “We are putting ourselves through shit so white people can be entertained. It’s all fucking corrupt,” an SEC player told us of this college football season. That is the true story of college football in 2020 and we can’t, and shouldn’t, overlook it.

For this piece, we talked to a renowned virologist and seven players representing four of the Power Five conferences, including one involved in the College Football Playoff and another who opted out of the season, about what they went through this year. Each player has been granted anonymity for fear of reprisal from their teams and to protect the future of their careers.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/players-rip-a-fucking-corrupt-college-football-season?ref=wrap

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-01-11, 11:45

We should all be boycotting in the name of that one team that got screwed over by the bowl selection process. Take a stand for principles!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next