Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Student Loans

+27
Jake from State Farm
Robert J Sakimano
Motown Spartan
kingstonlake
TravelinMan
gomersbro
PennSpartan
Pervis Muldoon
duffy munn
I.B. Fine
Cameron
Other Teams Pursuing That
Rick Saunders
aualum06
Trapper Gus
Watch Out Pylon!
Dendrobates
Heat Miser
InTenSity
GRR Spartan
Floyd Robertson
AvgMSUJoe
DWags
Rocinante
Turtleneck
Travis of the Cosmos
steveschneider
31 posters

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down

Student Loans - Page 3 Empty Re: Student Loans

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-08-24, 21:56

According to Biden this is going mostly to the poors ...
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-08-24, 22:04

Trapper Gus wrote:According to Biden this is going mostly to the poors ...
pell grant and sub 125k... sure... maybe not "poors", but working people.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-08-24, 23:52

Maybe somebody can help me out here because I don't understand the out rage over this. I keep hearing people say they shouldn't have to pay to cover the student loan debt being forgiven . Are taxes being increased to cover this? Like is this going to directly cost me as a taxpayer?

I don't think so.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2022-08-25, 04:08

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

And I believe married couples under 250k.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2022-08-25, 07:32

More hypocrisy on display: I did't have to pay back my PPP loan but you need to pay back your student loan

Marjorie Taylor Greene's construction company received a $180,000 PPP loan from the federal government on April 10, 2020.
https://projects.propublica.org/coronavirus/bailouts/loans/taylor-commercial-inc-1932537103

"Loan Status: Forgiven."
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2022-08-25, 07:34

Student Loans - Page 3 Gop_lo10
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-08-25, 08:42

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Read a report that this will sweep up many people who started college but never finished, who already default at a 40% rate.  I'm thinking more poors than other types.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2022-08-26, 07:30; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2022-08-25, 20:13

White house going in dry, calling out multiple politicians

[tw]1562916200866267138?t=n8DGbfd_FD6OM-O-A2hlYQ&s=19[/tw]
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Cameron, AvgMSUJoe, Trapper Gus and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2022-08-25, 22:50

Genuine question why/when/how did America turn into this turn a blind eye to tax breaks and cuts for rich and corporations but whenever individuals get something or benefit America throws a fit? are we this brainwashed to bow down to our corporate overlords?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2022-08-26, 05:40

duffy munn wrote:Maybe somebody can help me out here because I don't understand the out rage over this. I keep hearing people say they shouldn't have to pay to cover the student loan debt being forgiven . Are taxes being increased to cover this? Like is this going to directly cost me as a taxpayer?

I don't think so.
I don't know the details, but start with the fact that republicans whine about everything and that'll tell you all you need to know
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-08-26, 06:05

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Genuine question why/when/how did America turn into this turn a blind eye to tax breaks and cuts for rich and corporations but whenever individuals get something or benefit America throws a fit? are we this brainwashed to bow down to our corporate overlords?

My Experience with that is they always reply with "They are the job providers and take all the risks."
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Pervis Muldoon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-08-26, 07:11

kingstonlake wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Genuine question why/when/how did America turn into this turn a blind eye to tax breaks and cuts for rich and corporations but whenever individuals get something or benefit America throws a fit? are we this brainwashed to bow down to our corporate overlords?

My Experience with that is they always reply with "They are the job providers and take all the risks."

And make all of the money
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-08-26, 07:34

Well for sure the Pacific Railroad Act of 1862, which gave alternate 1 square mile of land along the right of way to the railroad, which was built with immigrants.

Probably before that.

Slavery had something to do with the owners attitudes
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-08-26, 07:44

duffy munn wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

And make all of the money

Profit margins are protected now. You can push a button on any product to make it happen. The worker cannot push a button for a pay increase.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-08-26, 07:51

I find that for most things if you just blame Reagan you’re probably right.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, AvgMSUJoe, Trapper Gus, Jake from State Farm, kingstonlake and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-08-26, 08:29

kingstonlake wrote:

Of couse that stsement ignores that the labor in their companys directly creates the value that they make profits on.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-08-26, 08:30

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

I find that for most things if you just blame Reagan you’re probably right.

Reagan was a fine TV salesman and sold the people on trickle down economics.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon 2022-08-26, 12:30

kingstonlake wrote:

They also love to say, "If we cut the businesses' taxes, they'll create more jobs!"  Which completely flies in the face of business sense, as it assumes that businesses hire nonessential labor just because they have money to spend.
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2022-08-27, 09:21

Pervis Muldoon wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

They also love to say, "If we cut the businesses' taxes, they'll create more jobs!"  Which completely flies in the face of business sense, as it assumes that businesses hire nonessential labor just because they have money to spend.

Kingston and PM are spot on.  Trickle Down has been around for over 150 years in the US.  William Jennings Bryan’s Cross of Gold speech was critical of the practice and it was a there when Republicans use it to criticize FDR’s New Deal.

Reagan and his acolytes revived and started spreading the now disproven economic theory and it’s only accelerated by GOP since.

My opinion the bottom line is the when the top 1% control the narrative there is never a bad time to cut taxes.  

Economic times are good?  CUT TAXES!  
Economic times are bad?    CUT TAXES!

The only time Republicans are concerned about deficits are when there isn’t a Republican in The White House.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Pervis Muldoon, Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-08-30, 12:23

GRR Spartan wrote:
Pervis Muldoon wrote:

Kingston and PM are spot on.  Trickle Down has been around for over 150 years in the US.  William Jennings Bryan’s Cross of Gold speech was critical of the practice and it was a there when Republicans use it to criticize FDR’s New Deal.

Reagan and his acolytes revived and started spreading the now disproven economic theory and it’s only accelerated by GOP since.

My opinion the bottom line is the when the top 1% control the narrative there is never a bad time to cut taxes.  

Economic times are good?  CUT TAXES!  
Economic times are bad?    CUT TAXES!

The only time Republicans are concerned about deficits are when there isn’t a Republican in The White House.

Republicans see anything done for the common good as "free stuff" even though everyone knows it is paid for via taxes.

They also believe "private business" could do it cheaper and better even though they have created a culture of private business focued on profits, not providing goods and services.

Seriously, free markets are a cult, too.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-08-30, 17:12

"Private business" cheaper and better, but deathly afraid of govt as competition.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Pervis Muldoon, GRR Spartan, Trapper Gus and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-09-14, 12:37

https://www.businessinsider.com/princeton-cover-all-tuition-families-making-under-100k-student-loans-2022-9
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-09-26, 08:33

https://apnews.com/article/how-to-get-student-loan-refund-if-you-paid-during-pandemic-ac42ffdca1d37d1fe8d1d63f6faeaa6f
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-09-28, 15:37

Big Gretch makin it happen! Congrats to anyone who got a little debt relief. Happy for ya.

[tw]1575189901032583174?s=46&t=uq2NexO1ISdKVUIF76RvPA[/tw]
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-09-28, 20:37

Btw, for any shithead blaming student debt or other real human spending for all the world's evils... today nexteer got 25 million to save the plant in Saginaw... plus an additional 2 million in future tax abatements.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-09-29, 12:11

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2022/09/28/the-republicans-are-coming-after-bidens-student-debt-relief-plan/

Yet some commentators, including the progressive law professor Jed Shugerman, predict that the administration will struggle to offer a good-faith legal argument connecting the student debt plan to the COVID-19 national emergency, as the law requires. We disagree.

The onset of the pandemic left Americans in deep financial insecurity. As a result, Congress authorized three rounds of stimulus checks—two during the Trump administration—which phased out for individuals at $99,000, $87,000, and $80,000. Given that these thresholds echo the debt plan’s $125,000 eligibility cap, President Joe Biden’s program targets the same groups of people Congress believed were most impacted by the pandemic.

The loan forgiveness plan is predicated on the period of financial distress that overlaps with the worst of the pandemic. Individuals can qualify for forgiveness based on their 2020 or 2021 incomes, when the pandemic’s employment distortions peaked. Indeed, COVID disruptions continue to bedevil Americans’ finances, and in 2022, inflation has eroded purchasing power further. Debt relief, which Goldman Sachs predicts will have a marginal inflationary effect, is a logical and legally consistent means of relieving the borrowers’ budgets as they cope with the pandemic’s ongoing economic repercussions.

That the plan furthers the Biden administration’s larger policy ambitions doesn’t render the program’s purpose spurious, as Shugerman suggests. So long as the Department of Education offers a well-reasoned justification for its policy on pandemic grounds, the administration is free to tout the initiative as part of its larger goals.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-09-30, 08:34

Opps ... Indiana man suing to invalidate load forgiveness gets his wish ... his loan will not be forgiven. lol

United States District Court Judge Richard L. Young on Thursday declined to block the Biden administration's student debt forgiveness plan.

The lawsuit was filed on Tuesday by Frank Garrison, an Indiana attorney who works for the Pacific Legal Foundation. Garrison said he did not want $20,000 worth of forgiven debt because he would have to pay more than $1,000 in Indiana state taxes.

One day later, on Wednesday, the U.S. Department of Education responded, saying Garrison would not suffer irreparable harm.

"Upon receiving this lawsuit and reviewing Plaintiff’s filings, the Department has already taken steps to effectuate Plaintiff’s clearly stated desire to opt out of the program and not receive $20,000 in automatic cancellation of his federal student loan debt, and so notified Plaintiff’s counsel today," the Department of Education responded.

On Thursday, Judge Young agreed in an order denying a temporary restraining order, writing, "The court, in view of the fact the Department of Education exempted Plaintiff from receiving debt relief, finds Plaintiff cannot be irreparably harmed as is required for preliminary relief."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/big-lawsuit-against-biden-s-student-debt-cancellation-gets-shot-down-in-less-than-a-week/ar-AA12pGe9?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=9b786623c50e4f9e9522d1276bf01ec2
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Jake from State Farm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-10-12, 15:40

Nice!!

[tw]1580032371482537985?s=46&t=S7h9tgrHh-ynNErWbFO66g[/tw]
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, Trapper Gus and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2022-10-12, 16:55

Trapper Gus wrote:Opps ... Indiana man suing to invalidate load forgiveness gets his wish ... his loan will not be forgiven. lol

United States District Court Judge Richard L. Young on Thursday declined to block the Biden administration's student debt forgiveness plan.

The lawsuit was filed on Tuesday by Frank Garrison, an Indiana attorney who works for the Pacific Legal Foundation. Garrison said he did not want $20,000 worth of forgiven debt because he would have to pay more than $1,000 in Indiana state taxes.

One day later, on Wednesday, the U.S. Department of Education responded, saying Garrison would not suffer irreparable harm.

"Upon receiving this lawsuit and reviewing Plaintiff’s filings, the Department has already taken steps to effectuate Plaintiff’s clearly stated desire to opt out of the program and not receive $20,000 in automatic cancellation of his federal student loan debt, and so notified Plaintiff’s counsel today," the Department of Education responded.

On Thursday, Judge Young agreed in an order denying a temporary restraining order, writing, "The court, in view of the fact the Department of Education exempted Plaintiff from receiving debt relief, finds Plaintiff cannot be irreparably harmed as is required for preliminary relief."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/big-lawsuit-against-biden-s-student-debt-cancellation-gets-shot-down-in-less-than-a-week/ar-AA12pGe9?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=9b786623c50e4f9e9522d1276bf01ec2

Hopefully he also gets a nice bill from his attorney.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-10-15, 10:46

Good Morning Campers

The Bata version of the Government's application for student loan relief is up and running, follow the link.

It takes about 90 seconds, I'm told, and requires nothing more than your name and social security number.

https://studentaid.gov/debt-relief/application
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-10-15, 11:28

Huh. It asked me if I want to take my $10,000 directly out of funds that would otherwise go to Pennsylvania. Odd, but I said yes please
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, Trapper Gus, Jake from State Farm and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-10-15, 11:59

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Huh. It asked me if I want to take my $10,000 directly out of funds that would otherwise go to Pennsylvania. Odd, but I said yes please

lol!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2022-10-16, 11:20

Trapper Gus wrote:Good Morning Campers

The Bata version of the Government's application for student loan relief is up and running, follow the link.

It takes about 90 seconds, I'm told, and requires nothing more than your name and social security number.

https://studentaid.gov/debt-relief/application

Thank you for the link
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-10-17, 17:18

Its beta no longer!

https://apnews.com/article/student-loan-forgiveness-application-ea79c56a5072976067a94436b4fc9a45?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=TopNews&utm_campaign=position_04

AP wrote:The number of borrowers who applied during the testing period already amounts to more than one-fourth of the total number of applicants the administration had projected would submit forms, underscoring the popularity of the program and the eagerness of borrowers to receive the debt relief. Some 8 million borrowers who have income information already on file with the Education Department would see their debt canceled without applying.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-10-21, 17:59

https://www.axios.com/2022/10/21/student-debt-relief-live-website-biden-plan

almost 22 million have applied
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-13, 09:59

Putting this conversation back in the thread it should be in, trying to rein Penn back under control with his polluting of threads with off topic posts...

The plaintiffs in the case in which the out-of-control conservative douchbag judge ruled they had standing have standing according to said judge, because they have loans which were not forgiven by the EO. What a fucked-up ruling.

Brown didn’t like that she didn’t qualify for forgiveness because her loans were through private lenders and not the government, while Taylor wasn’t happy that he could only qualify for $10,000 and not $20,000 in relief as he didn’t receive a Pell Grant.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/biden-student-debt-forgiveness-questions
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by PennSpartan 2022-11-14, 11:54

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/0bd7d5f6-6ee5-33bb-a38c-5c68c8124937/student-loan-cancellation-in.html
Student Loans - Page 3 1550444538
PennSpartan
PennSpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-14, 12:02

PennSpartan wrote:https://www.yahoo.com/finance/m/0bd7d5f6-6ee5-33bb-a38c-5c68c8124937/student-loan-cancellation-in.html
Student Loans - Page 3 1550444538

Not undestanding why you are spinning, as this was totally expected. Everyone knew the Republicians would go "judge shopping" in TX, since there are a bunch of conservative judges there who think they are President of the US.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-11-14, 12:10

Can’t we just pretend that student debt relief was actually for Wall Street and banks?

That way Penn would be happy. I mean he supported it because that bailout personally benefitted him….
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-11-15, 06:32

Conservative federal judges are finding pretty far out rules for "standing"

A. If an enity was relying on current regulations for income then if the regulations are changed so future income is changed, that is standing.

B. If by changing the regulation people who don't have the loan types or othet qualifications to have their loans forgiven that is standing.

These "theories" of standing pretty much would mean that the government can be sued for every law it creates.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next