Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Institutional Racism Does Not Exist

+11
kingstonlake
steveschneider
InTenSity
Cameron
Rocinante
MiamiSpartan
DWags
StylesGShmooth
AvgMSUJoe
Robert J Sakimano
Turtleneck
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Institutional Racism Does Not Exist - Page 2 Empty Re: Institutional Racism Does Not Exist

Post by DWags Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:02 pm

Holy shit.

Gee, I wonder who that guy voted for for president.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Institutional Racism Does Not Exist - Page 2 Empty Re: Institutional Racism Does Not Exist

Post by Turtleneck Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:47 pm

DWags wrote:Holy shit.  

Gee, I wonder who that guy voted for for president.

People like him are in positions of power all over the country at all levels of government. That man has the power to influence local law. What a sick fuck.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:11 pm

Supposedly the councilman was quoting the AA mayor on what he called a council woman? Haven't heard the whole exchange.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:31 am

The Trump gambit. Just double down.

Alabama city leader who used n-word in council meeting says he won't apologize and might run for mayor
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:58 am

I would love to hear his take on the “true definition.”

"It's according to what your definition of the word racist is. What a lot of the public's definition is, I might be a racist. But according to what the true definition of a racist is, absolutely not," he told WVTM.“
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:22 pm

When you learn about the criminal justice system for the first time.

[tw]1425658519592734727?s=20[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:24 pm

Turtleneck wrote:When you learn about the criminal justice system for the first time.

"Minor crimes"...like sedition & insurrection.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:12 pm

Just a local judge in Louisiana.

Lafayette city judge responds after video of racist slurs

https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news/local/2021/12/14/reports-lafayette-city-judge-apologizes-after-video-racist-slurs/6506512001/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by msugolfguy Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:05 pm

Turtleneck wrote:When you learn about the criminal justice system for the first time.

He's just doing it for "his people". Trust me if the shoe was on the other foot he'd be asking for public hangings.

This guy isn't stupid. He knows what he needs to do.
msugolfguy
msugolfguy
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:56 am

racist

A true definition of racist

racist
ADJECTIVE
characterized by or showing prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bredo Morstoel Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:29 am

Trapper Gus wrote:
racist

A true definition of racist

racist
ADJECTIVE
characterized by or showing prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

The problem is determining the motive behind said antagonism.

If I say I don't like Clarence Thomas, is it because I disagree with his views, or that I'm a racist?

No one knows for sure, and can only add in their own biases.
Bredo Morstoel
Bredo Morstoel
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:46 am

Well saying that you don't like Clarance Thomas, the person is not enough information, though if one said that and refused to elaborate it would be reasonable cause to suspect that they are a racist.

Saying that you say don't like his rulings or say you don't like the seeming corruption he and his wife exhibit still would not be racist statements.

Clearly insults using the color of his skin would be racist, via the derogatory section of the definition.

If someone criticized him but lauded other people who were doing the same things, that would suggest racist tendencies.

BTW - IMO the better term for "racist", since it is simpler to understand, and doesn't have the hot button sub-meaning, is prejudiced.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bredo Morstoel Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:19 am

Trapper Gus wrote:Well saying that you don't like Clarance Thomas, the person is not enough information, though if one said that and refused to elaborate it would be reasonable cause to suspect that they are a racist.

And there, in your first paragraph, is everything that is wrong with race relations in America today.
Bredo Morstoel
Bredo Morstoel
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:33 am

Bredo Morstoel wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:Well saying that you don't like Clarance Thomas, the person is not enough information, though if one said that and refused to elaborate it would be reasonable cause to suspect that they are a racist.

And there, in your first paragraph, is everything that is wrong with race relations in America today.

In an honest discussion, refusal to explain a position allows others to make worst case assumptions. So, I guess you are saying that people are refusing to be honest regard their prejudices. I would agree that keeps the discussion from moving forward.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bredo Morstoel Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:26 pm

Trapper Gus wrote:
Bredo Morstoel wrote:

In an honest discussion, refusal to explain a position allows others to make worst case assumptions. So, I guess you are saying that people are refusing to be honest regard their prejudices. I would agree that keeps the discussion from moving forward.

Always assume the worst of people and you'll never be disappointed, eh?

Pretty terrible way to go through life, but whatever works for you, I guess?
Bredo Morstoel
Bredo Morstoel
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:49 pm

Bredo Morstoel wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Always assume the worst of people and you'll never be disappointed, eh?

Pretty terrible way to go through life, but whatever works for you, I guess?

Not what I said, dude, but whatever Institutional Racism Does Not Exist - Page 2 969504605
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:53 pm

Bredo Morstoel wrote:

Wait, in one paragraph, Trapper Gus, a poster on a small Michigan State University internet message board, captured the entirety of what is wrong with race relations in America? If we are being honest, that is impressive work by Trapper. I mean that is a lot to capture in one paragraph. I'm impressed.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and Bredo Morstoel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bredo Morstoel Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:28 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Bredo Morstoel wrote:

Wait, in one paragraph, Trapper Gus, a poster on a small Michigan State University internet message board, captured the entirety of what is wrong with race relations in America? If we are being honest, that is impressive work by Trapper. I mean that is a lot to capture in one paragraph. I'm impressed.

Race relations isn't that complicated of a problem, nor is it as big of a problem in today's society as many in the media would portray.

And remember, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
Bredo Morstoel
Bredo Morstoel
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:44 am

"Race" is a social construct, not a biological fact.

CRT* postulates that for every effort to "level the playing field" there will be an opposing reaction by the dominat culture in this country, aka Racist, to keep the playing field tilted.

CRT* & the media keep showing examples of this, an effort to help point out that the playing field is tilted.

Push back, from some, about the publication that the field is tilted, is the reaction by the dominant culture to try to keep it tilted.

This is the structural racism which exists.

*CRT is a derivative of CLS, Critical Law Studies, which is a theory regarding how laws evolve over time.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:43 pm

Dominant
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:54 pm

Bredo Morstoel wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Race relations isn't that complicated of a problem, nor is it as big of a problem in today's society as many in the media would portray.

I feel like this is an easy statement for a white person to make. How are you able to legitimately represent the experiences of all communities of color and races in America? Your ability to do this is as amazing as Trapper’s single great paragraph.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:21 pm

Cameron wrote:Dominant

Still missed one.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:40 am

I'm typed it so often I'm beginning to believe that a "dominate culture" has real meaning, as a dominant culture which exists only to dominate
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bredo Morstoel Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:31 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Bredo Morstoel wrote:

I feel like this is an easy statement for a white person to make. How are you able to legitimately represent the experiences of all communities of color and races in America? Your ability to do this is as amazing as Trapper’s single great paragraph.

Your ability to assume my race is also fairly impressive.
Bredo Morstoel
Bredo Morstoel
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:07 am

Bredo Morstoel wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Your ability to assume my race is also fairly impressive.

Those were general statements. The only thing I can assume about you is an interest in frozen dead people.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Bredo Morstoel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2