Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roy Williams calling it quits, announces retirement.

+13
AvgMSUJoe
Other Teams Pursuing That
NigelUno
Robert J Sakimano
duffy munn
InTenSity
Floyd Robertson
Travis of the Cosmos
tGreenWay
steveschneider
kingstonlake
Turtleneck
Motown Spartan
17 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Roy Williams calling it quits, announces retirement.  Empty Roy Williams calling it quits, announces retirement.

Post by Motown Spartan Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 11:37

Per Jay Bilas.

*allegedly not an April Fool’s joke.

Last edited by Motown Spartan on Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 11:41; edited 1 time in total
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Roy Williams calling it quits, announces retirement.  Empty Re: Roy Williams calling it quits, announces retirement.

Post by Turtleneck Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 11:38

Izzo to UNC
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Roy Williams calling it quits, announces retirement.  Empty Re: Roy Williams calling it quits, announces retirement.

Post by kingstonlake Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 11:43

Juwan to UNC
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Floyd Robertson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 11:43

There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, 'Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 11:46

steveschneider wrote:There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, 'Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again.

*according to several legit media outlets, it’s not a joke.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 12:02

This does seem legit, otherwise, a bunch of news outlets coast to coast will be pissed at having been schnookered. Okay, maybe that’s a bit strong, but hoodwinked, for sure.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 12:54

steveschneider wrote:There's an old saying in Tennessee—I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee—that says, 'Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me—you can't get fooled again.

There is a new saying on tSwill that says, "Steve is obnoxious."
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 12:55

I hope they hire Rasheed Wallace. That would be awesome.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 13:13

Turtleneck wrote:I hope they hire Rasheed Wallace. That would be awesome.

Roy Williams calling it quits, announces retirement.  A1c19b4d55789633-wallace-gif-find-share-on-giphy
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 13:13

That Josh smith Charlie villenueva era was brutal
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 13:16

So Roy is a cheater and a quitter.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 14:25

Floyd Robertson wrote:So Roy is a cheater and a quitter.
Also in his early or mid 70's and is an old white guy millionaire. One of the guys I play golf with and pays for most of it was roommates in college with Roy. They still talk somewhat often. Over the summer we played on a course in NC, he was slightly late because he played in the morning with Roy.
I wonder if he's known that he's retiring since last summer, but couldn't say anything. Or the 2 players that have decided to go to the portal just kind of pushed him over the edge that things have changed and its time to move on and enjoy life.
Also probably a cheater and a quitter.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 14:32

tGreenWay wrote:This does seem legit, otherwise, a bunch of news outlets coast to coast will be pissed at having been schnookered. Okay, maybe that’s a bit strong, but hoodwinked, for sure.

Bamboozled
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 14:36

InTenSity wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:So Roy is a cheater and a quitter.
Also in his early or mid 70's and is an old white guy millionaire. One of the guys I play golf with and pays for most of it was roommates in college with Roy. They still talk somewhat often. Over the summer we played on a course in NC, he was slightly late because he played in the morning with Roy.
I wonder if he's known that he's retiring since last summer, but couldn't say anything. Or the 2 players that have decided to go to the portal just kind of pushed him over the edge that things have changed and its time to move on and enjoy life.
Also probably a cheater and a quitter.
Black Mountain, NC in the house.'

side note - ol Roy went to high school at Owen HS. Home to Brad Johnson and Brad Daugherty. Not too bad for a tiny little high school in the rural mountains of NC.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 15:06

What evidence do you guys have that Roy is a cheater? From what I've read he does it the right way.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 15:14

Do you think this will have a ripple effect like when Williams left Kansans for UNC? Not sure who the top candidates are, but names I have heard are not likely to cause a big coaching shuffle.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 15:19

steveschneider wrote:What evidence do you guys have that Roy is a cheater? From what I've read he does it the right way.

Do you not know that UNC had one of the biggest academic cheating scandals of all time a few years ago?
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 15:39

Motown Spartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:What evidence do you guys have that Roy is a cheater? From what I've read he does it the right way.

Do you not know that UNC had one of the biggest academic cheating scandals of all time a few years ago?

What was Roy's involvement in this scandal that was going on well before Roy go there?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 15:46

steveschneider wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

What was Roy's involvement in this scandal that was going on well before Roy go there?

He had players on his team between 2007 and 2011 that took classes that did not exist. Don’t be so obtuse, the buck stops with him.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 15:55

Motown Spartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

He had players on his team between 2007 and 2011 that took classes that did not exist. Don’t be so obtuse, the buck stops with him.

I had a back and forth with John Feinstein of the Washington Post a while back  over it and he was adamant that he's clean as well as Dean Smith. I'm deferring to him. He maintains both Dean and Roy did it the right way in response to one of my usual takes that everyone cheats in college ball.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 15:58

He also stated that non student athletes attended the same classes and that allowed UNC to get off on a technicality. It was his firm belief that Dean and Roy had no involvement.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 16:00

steveschneider wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

I had a back and forth with John Feinstein of the Washington Post a while back  over it and he was adamant that he's clean as well as Dean Smith. I'm deferring to him. He maintains both Dean and Roy did it the right way in response to one of my usual takes that everyone cheats in college ball.

Regardless, it happened. It’s either lack of institutional control or complete ignorance. He’s too successful for it to be ignorance and too smart not to know it was happening. He knowingly benefited from it.

He. Cheated.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 16:07

steveschneider wrote:He also stated that non student athletes attended the same classes and that allowed UNC to get off on a technicality. It was his firm belief that Dean and Roy had no involvement.

So, if student-athletes are enrolled in nonexistent classes, it’s a violation. But, if student-athletes and gen pop students enroll in nonexistent classes, it’s allowed? scratch
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 16:13

Motown Spartan wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Regardless, it happened. It’s either lack of institutional control or complete ignorance. He’s too successful for it to be ignorance and too smart not to know it was happening. He knowingly benefited from it.

He. Cheated.

I caution we just got over an MSU scandal where outsiders tried to link our basketball and football coach to it. If you have proof he cheated I'll gladly change my tune.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 16:23

tGreenWay wrote:
steveschneider wrote:He also stated that non student athletes attended the same classes and that allowed UNC to get off on a technicality.  It was his firm belief that Dean and Roy had no involvement.

So, if student-athletes are enrolled in nonexistent classes, it’s a violation. But, if student-athletes and gen pop students enroll in nonexistent classes, it’s allowed? scratch

"A Division I Committee on Infractions hearing panel could not conclude that the University of North Carolina violated NCAA academic rules when it made available deficient Department of African and Afro-American Studies “paper courses” to the general student body, including student-athletes."

Fucking Steve was right aagain!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 16:27

steveschneider wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

He. Cheated.

I caution we just got over an MSU scandal where outsiders tried to link our basketball and football coach to it. If you have proof he cheated I'll gladly change my tune.

False equivalency.

If there was a scandal that was carried out by the university directly involving basketball players, Izzo would have some guilt and should lose his job. Clean slate, scorch the earth.

Last edited by Motown Spartan on Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 16:30; edited 1 time in total
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 16:28

steveschneider wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:

Weird, Feinstein's tweets indicate he felt UNC needed to be punished because they did something wrong.

[tw]925002609513156608?s=20[/tw]

[tw]925023483909812224?s=20[/tw]

Last edited by Turtleneck on Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 16:54; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 16:29

Turtleneck wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Weid, Feinstein's tweets indicate he felt UNC needed to be punished because they did something wrong.

[tw]925002609513156608?s=20[/tw]

[tw]925023483909812224?s=20[/tw]

He evolved on his position. Check his 2021 take.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 16:34

"If the NCAA lets UNC off with a wrist slap: loss of a few scholarships; a probation without sanctions; in fact, anything short of stripping at least one national title, it may very well face some kind of an uprising from other schools – led by Louisville, Syracuse, Connecticut, and others that have been punished in the recent past for crimes not comparable to those that took place in Chapel Hill."

- John Feinstein
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 16:43

You lied, Steve. I see you're evolving into making stuff up.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 17:01

Turtleneck wrote:You lied, Steve. I see you're evolving into making stuff up.

I didn't but if that's how you see it after i pointed you in the right direction all you can do is shrug and say oh well. You can lead a horse to water but you can't teach them how to drink.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 17:02

Google tells us the date stamp from your quote above is 2017. Who's being dishonest?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 17:22

steveschneider wrote:Google tells us the date stamp from your quote above is 2017. Who's being dishonest?  

What does the year have to do with it, Steve? You said A and I pointed out the truth is B.  You never said anything about a specific year (until I brought receipts). Then you tried to say his position evolved in 2021, but it actually didn't and you know that to be true.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 17:43

Weird timing. Unless UNC thought they had a chance at Beard.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 19:28

are we really still playing the holier than thou game with college athletics? give it a rest.. y'all are too smart for that
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 20:04

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:are we really still playing the holier than thou game with college athletics? give it a rest.. y'all are too smart for that
I think some try to be good. For their sake the rules should be followed.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 20:50

This is just my humble opinion and I'm not upset or whatever, just having a conversation. But I think it's a weird flex that OTPT and TN occasionally pull off when it comes to the insinuation that MSU cheats just as much as everybody else. I recognize that there are some people in the fanbase that are blind but I don't think we have much of that here. I'm not even talking about football. MSU hoops under Izzo is as clean as it comes for a big time program when it comes to rules violations. They are not alone in that regard, there are other top programs that are also clean, but if you want to pretend that they're not and everyone is naïve, please show me something other than some questionable off court decision making in social situations by players. Oh and that one time that Izzo had the acquaintance of a recruit work a camp that he always worked in the past and he got suspended for a game. There's a pretty long track record there. And it's also backed up by court testimony under oath.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, MiamiSpartan, duffy munn and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 21:15

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:This is just my humble opinion and I'm not upset or whatever, just having a conversation. But I think it's a weird flex that OTPT and TN occasionally pull off when it comes to the insinuation that MSU cheats just as much as everybody else. I recognize that there are some people in the fanbase that are blind but I don't think we have much of that here. I'm not even talking about football. MSU hoops under Izzo is as clean as it comes for a big time program when it comes to rules violations. They are not alone in that regard, there are other top programs that are also clean, but if you want to pretend that they're not and everyone is naïve, please show me something other than some questionable off court decision making in social situations by players. Oh and that one time that Izzo had the acquaintance of a recruit work a camp that he always worked in the past and he got suspended for a game. There's a pretty long track record there. And it's also backed up by court testimony under oath.

I am not sure what any of that has to do with me telling Steve he is full of shit about John Feinstein.

I'm still waiting for Izzo to shave his head, WBH. He is a liar and a cheat.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

WhiteBoyHatcher likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Thu 1 Apr 2021 - 22:58

The NCAA is a cheat. I’m to the point of saying not cheating and allowing these players to NOT gain benefits outside of what the ncaa allows them to have are the real frauds.

Truthfully I’m just over demonizing players getting some of their worth through various avenues. Playing the morality card in a system like the ncaa is nauseating and fake.

MSU is just another piece to the puzzle of the fuckery
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Fri 2 Apr 2021 - 1:00

That's interesting. So there is no honor in your book for trying to play by the rules? I try to imagine what I would do if I cared about my players if I were a coach. I think I would try to play by the rules. I would not be comfortable with the bevy of lies I would have to live with otherwise, regardless of if I believed they were being taken advantage of or not. I like to think that I would probably use some of my voice and sway and huge salary to advocate for those players. Now do I have any idea if our guy is doing that? No not really. But I guess still in my head I feel like trying to play by the rules outweighs the bevy of lies scenario. So I have some appreciation for that.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next