Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial 2023 MSU Basketball Recruiting Thread

+16
Travis of the Cosmos
GRR Spartan
Trapper Gus
NumbersDude
Rick Saunders
DWags
duffy munn
Other Teams Pursuing That
Pervis Muldoon
tGreenWay
AvgMSUJoe
kingstonlake
Floyd Robertson
NigelUno
Nordic
Turtleneck
20 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

tOfficial 2023 MSU Basketball Recruiting Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: tOfficial 2023 MSU Basketball Recruiting Thread

Post by NigelUno 2022-04-19, 12:44

[tw]1516456973314707463[/tw]
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial 2023 MSU Basketball Recruiting Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: tOfficial 2023 MSU Basketball Recruiting Thread

Post by NigelUno 2022-04-19, 12:53

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:i'd still love to know what's changed so much to duffy and rick... everything just seems more out in the open and transparent now?

You mean other than the immediate eligibility the portal provides, which has created unrestricted free agency (of sorts)?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders 2022-04-19, 13:11

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:i'd still love to know what's changed so much to duffy and rick... everything just seems more out in the open and transparent now?

I'm not shaking my fist at the clouds. I see the point and the equitability etc. Unlike some of us I do think being on the up and up is important... more important than a championship. So an out in the open wild west might be a field leveler which is fine. But for me part of the interest beyond winning has also been the development of the players and kind of getting to see their personalities over the years.

I don't live in Michigan and haven't in many years. No one in my childhood family lives near me. My wife is not from Michigan. My kids do not go to MSU. My wife does not have the strong feelings for her alma mater that most of us think just comes naturally because as most of you know there is something about MSU that engenders those feelings more than other universities.

So both my kids know how to respond to "go green!" My one daughter loved to watch Spartan basketball with me growing up. Remember when Draymond was at MSU for four years and so many others like him (or like Tum Tum even) up through Cassius? My daughter knew who those players were and still knows what's up with Draymond or Valentine. A Tyson Walker comes along or a Hauser and she is all like who's that? That's ok. It's true for freshmen too. But those transfers are players she sees a couple of times and they are gone. When those build up to be half the playing group she won't care. For me it's wrapped up in all of that.

I still like to watch sports but other than the Spartans I don't exactly go out of my way to watch them. When the continuity of player and team goes then the Spartans will be more similar to other teams I haven't made a connection to.
Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-04-19, 13:30

What's changed is at the very first sign of adversity kids are bolting.

Last edited by duffy munn on 2022-04-19, 14:33; edited 1 time in total
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-04-19, 13:31

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Sounds like a front court player is gone. Haven’t said who yet

This guy was on it!
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-04-19, 13:33

duffy munn wrote:

What's changed is a the very first sign of adversity kids are bolting.

Nah. They have sorely need and deserved power to control their future.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-04-19, 13:39

duffy munn wrote:

Izzo wasn't fond of (some) players transferring out in the past for that reason. Having to sit out a year obviously was a deterrent in some kids leaving. That's out the window. It's the Wild West.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-04-19, 14:35

kingstonlake wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

I get that and don't disagree. It also shows them a commitment to a program or teammates is optional.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2022-04-19, 15:11

kingstonlake wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Yeah, it’s a business. It’d be funny to call someone out for leaving a company they weren’t happy at.

Sucks that it’s marble. Guy got plenty of playing time and probably had more coming in the future.

Duff, What was the “adversity” here? Maybe he’d just rather be somewhere else?
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2022-04-19, 16:14

duffy munn wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

I get that and don't disagree. It also shows them a commitment to a program or teammates is optional.

I hear ya. But don't coaches do the same?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2022-04-19, 17:23

kingstonlake wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

all the time
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-04-19, 19:23

kingstonlake wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

And this is why I think we're at a disadvantage with Izzo. He doesn't do it. even when they wine and dined him, and begged him to come to the NBA, he didn't. He stayed loyal to MSU. Was it a good thing? who knows. But I think it bothers him that others don't do it. And, because less and less will do it going forward, I don't think Izzo is long for the game. I'm guessing next year is his last. it's going to be interesting.

DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-04-19, 21:39

😩Every time this thread gets bumped I think we’ve got a new commit or prospect.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-04-19, 22:26

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
kingstonlake wrote:

Yeah, it’s a business. It’d be funny to call someone out for leaving a company they weren’t happy at.

Sucks that it’s marble. Guy got plenty of playing time and probably had more coming in the future.

Duff, What was the “adversity” here? Maybe he’d just rather be somewhere else?

I was not specifically commenting on Marble. His reason for leaving appears to be about more than just basketball.

To me it's about what might seem to be greener pastures and bailing. And then bailing again. See Rocket Watts.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2022-04-19, 23:01

This was tucked inside Couch's article on Marbles transfer.

tOfficial 2023 MSU Basketball Recruiting Thread - Page 2 1550444538

It has another young player, Max Christie, who seems unlikely to return, seeking a pro career, however premature.

Couch: 3 quick takes on Julius Marble entering the transfer portal and what it means for Michigan State basketball
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-04-20, 08:02

Nordic wrote:This was tucked inside Couch's article on Marbles transfer.

It has another young player, Max Christie, who seems unlikely to return, seeking a pro career, however premature.

Couch: 3 quick takes on Julius Marble entering the transfer portal and what it means for Michigan State basketball

Gonna be a very different team next year.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-04-20, 08:10

A word a out Marble. My kids roommate and friends are bartenders at a popular bar. The team frequently hung out. They weren’t particularly fond of some of them. They loved Marble. One night it got out of hand to the point of a couple of them were asked to leave, they didn’t pay their tab and I’m told they never tipped. Marble walks up to the bar apologized for them, pays their tab and included the tip. I don’t know about his basketball defense, but he seems to have pretty good character. Good luck to him.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay, duffy munn, gomersbro, Pervis Muldoon and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2022-04-20, 09:29

My opinion is Marble soldiered on after his father died unexpectedly in July 2020 while his son was 1100 miles away in EL but he’s taken an inventory and decided to take advantage of the transfer portal.

Won’t be surprised if he gets a lot closer to his Dallas home so his mother and other family can see more of him and watch him play where home games are a 3-4 hour drive instead of a pricey flight to EL.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-04-20, 16:05

Nordic wrote:This was tucked inside Couch's article on Marbles transfer.

Hoggard
Walker
Hall
Hauser
Sissoko

Where's the Final Four at?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-04-20, 17:42

kingstonlake wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Yes but not our coach
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-04-29, 08:51

Michigan State basketball coach Tom Izzo reveals concerns with transfer portal

Michigan State coach Tom Izzo hasn't exactly hid his feelings about not being a fan of how transfer-heavy college basketball has become in the portal era. And he touched on those concerns on the Bald Men on Campus podcast, following Florida State coach Leonard Hamilton, who said he had his own issues with the changes.

"I think a lot of people are making decisions for us that aren’t in the basement with us," Izzo said. "And if you aren’t in the basement with you and you see how many kids I mean, Leonard and I are on an organization, a panel I guess, that we’re trying to look at graduation rates. And minority graduation rates in basketball were down as low as 27% a couple years ago. And we’ve done a hell of a job through summer schools, through better programs, through us pushing of getting those kids up. Every one of you have gone to college. You know that if you transfer from one college to the other, you’re gonna lose credits. I am worried that we’ve devalued education completely. I’m also worried that we’re teaching kids when the going gets tough, I mean Jud Heathcote, my old boss, used to say, ‘Every freshman’s unhappy.’

"I mean Jay (Bilas), you know, Leonard, I don’t know exactly where you played, there’s no way in hell Seth (Greenberg) you played anywhere. But for Jay and Phonz (LaPhonso Ellis), you guys were probably 25-30 point a game scorers (in high school). So your freshman year at college sucked anyway. No freshman is happy," Izzo said. "And we tried so many things to help … remember what Leonard’s saying is true, but remember, our ultimate goal in life, because we’re not messing with the 1% that are going to the NBA. That’s all that’s going. And unless it’s changed recently, that we add 30 more teams, to the NBA. So our ultimate goal is not to get ‘em to the NBA, that’s the great players. But the 99% is to make the next 70 years better. Running from things like we are, I would have had so many guys that left after their freshman year it’s scary. And I think we have a pretty good culture.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-04-29, 09:00

NigelUno wrote:Michigan State basketball coach Tom Izzo reveals concerns with transfer portal

Michigan State coach Tom Izzo hasn't exactly hid his feelings about not being a fan of how transfer-heavy college basketball has become in the portal era. And he touched on those concerns on the Bald Men on Campus podcast, following Florida State coach Leonard Hamilton, who said he had his own issues with the changes.

"I think a lot of people are making decisions for us that aren’t in the basement with us," Izzo said. "And if you aren’t in the basement with you and you see how many kids I mean, Leonard and I are on an organization, a panel I guess, that we’re trying to look at graduation rates. And minority graduation rates in basketball were down as low as 27% a couple years ago. And we’ve done a hell of a job through summer schools, through better programs, through us pushing of getting those kids up. Every one of you have gone to college. You know that if you transfer from one college to the other, you’re gonna lose credits. I am worried that we’ve devalued education completely. I’m also worried that we’re teaching kids when the going gets tough, I mean Jud Heathcote, my old boss, used to say, ‘Every freshman’s unhappy.’

"I mean Jay (Bilas), you know, Leonard, I don’t know exactly where you played, there’s no way in hell Seth (Greenberg) you played anywhere. But for Jay and Phonz (LaPhonso Ellis), you guys were probably 25-30 point a game scorers (in high school). So your freshman year at college sucked anyway. No freshman is happy," Izzo said. "And we tried so many things to help … remember what Leonard’s saying is true, but remember, our ultimate goal in life, because we’re not messing with the 1% that are going to the NBA. That’s all that’s going. And unless it’s changed recently, that we add 30 more teams, to the NBA. So our ultimate goal is not to get ‘em to the NBA, that’s the great players. But the 99% is to make the next 70 years better. Running from things like we are, I would have had so many guys that left after their freshman year it’s scary. And I think we have a pretty good culture.

I’m all for getting players paid, but maybe we should look at the portal from a distance. I’m still for allowing free choice. But honestly we need some rules about transferring credits and such. Maybe that the school must accept all credits the student has in order for him to transfer to said school. (Just spitballin here)
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2022-04-29, 09:36

I feel like Izzo still doesn't grasp the scope of the change.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33823826/nil-agent-says-miami-hoops-star-isaiah-wong-enter-transfer-portal-nil-compensation-increased
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2022-04-29, 09:37

Below is a link about Tyler Woo, a 2 year starter, 3rd team ACC.  He has a NIL deal worth $100K.  However Woo is unhappy. He wants a deal similar to what his new teammate PG Nijel Pack is getting.

Miami has brought in transfer Nijel Pack from Kansas State and is getting a 2 year NIL deal worth $400k per season and use of a luxury vehicle while he’s at Miami.

I think this kind of stuff is why Jay Wright left Villanova and what’s frustrating a lot of coaches.  

My sggestion: eliminate or limit the bidding war with a set stipend and a vehicle.  Doesn’t matter where you transfer, the money is the same.  If a player is that good, they can play for pay in The League or Europe/Australia etc.

NIL won’t go away and college basketball has morphed just like it did with players leaving early,  players going from HS to NBA, One and Dones.  It will still be here, just different.

Also think it’s time for the NBA to create a real minor league that isn’t populated with a bunch of 25-32 year olds hanging on for a 10 day NBA contract hoping to stick in The League this time.

Woo threatens to leave The U
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-04-29, 09:54

AvgMSUJoe wrote:I feel like Izzo still doesn't grasp the scope of the change.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33823826/nil-agent-says-miami-hoops-star-isaiah-wong-enter-transfer-portal-nil-compensation-increased

He does. He mentioned it.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-05-26, 23:02

[tw]1529954091211923456?s=21[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-05-28, 14:49

[tw]1530580477769302017?s=21&t=FJM3tEy1TVpnqrAisMbvog[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-06-23, 11:29

Michigan State basketball commit Jeremy Fears to play for Team USA

https://spartanswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/22/michigan-state-basketball-commit-jeremy-fears-to-play-for-team-usa/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-06-30, 00:09

Michigan State basketball: Duke may no longer be top threat for Xavier Booker

https://spartanavenue.com/2022/06/29/michigan-state-basketball-duke-top-threat-xavier-booker/

I don't think it's a coincidence that Travis took back the recruiting coordinator position.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-06-30, 00:31

Or maybe Duke is focusing more on the other guy because they figure X is heading to EL.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-06-30, 11:30

Xavier Booker admits he’s has the best relationship with Tom Izzo

https://spartanavenue.com/2022/06/30/xavier-booker-best-relationship-tom-izzo/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-07-07, 13:54

Izzo in KC at Nike EYBL watching Milan.

https://247sports.com/player/milan-momcilovic-46109288/

And Devin Royal.

https://247sports.com/player/devin-royal-46118229/
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-07-07, 18:56

I don't know what's up with the graphic in the article. Is he from Mordor?

RECRUITING: Momcilovic to announced college decision next week
https://cyclonefanatic.com/2022/07/recruiting-momcilovic-to-announced-college-decision-next-week/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-07-09, 15:00

[tw]1545764649517436930[/tw]

2023 6’11 Xavier Booker – George Hill 17U

After somewhat of a slow start to the week, Xavier Booker came alive on Friday night scoring 21 points – including 19 in the second half - and showed why he is a 5 star prospect and ranked top 5 in the country. The 6’11 forward is a fluid athlete, can grab defensive rebounds and push in transition off the dribble. Booker has great touch on his jumper, made some tough midrange pull ups and has range past the three point line. In the most impressive play of the night, Booker attacked baseline, went up and under the rim using every inch of his wingspan to put down a highlight real reverse dunk over a defender.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-07-11, 10:24

Michigan State commit Jeremy Fears leads Team USA to FIBA U17 World Cup Gold
https://saturdaytradition.com/michigan-state-football/michigan-state-commit-jeremy-fears-leads-team-usa-to-fiba-u17-world-cup-gold/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2022-07-16, 18:14

[tw]1548412277275037698?s=21&t=sVWSXqmlqMBJvJkf1Bur_w[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2022-07-16, 18:56

Turtleneck wrote:[tw]1548412277275037698?s=21&t=sVWSXqmlqMBJvJkf1Bur_w[/tw]

Just wondering what Travis shot on the back nine today. Anybody?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2022-07-16, 19:02

Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2022-07-16, 19:10

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:[tw]1548412277275037698?s=21&t=sVWSXqmlqMBJvJkf1Bur_w[/tw]

Just wondering what Travis shot on the back nine today. Anybody?

Somebody hide his clubs.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2022-07-18, 18:26

Top 9! cheers

[tw]1549135875921121282[/tw]
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next