Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial Swill: Would you stay or would you go now? thread

+12
AvgMSUJoe
Rick Saunders
Bredo Morstoel
MiamiSpartan
DWags
Travis of the Cosmos
kingstonlake
The Pantry
Trapper Gus
Motown Spartan
Floyd Robertson
tGreenWay
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

tOfficial Swill: Would you stay or would you go now? thread Empty tOfficial Swill: Would you stay or would you go now? thread

Post by tGreenWay Thu 13 Jan 2022 - 20:07

Been thinking about these scenarios lately, and thought I’d bring them up to see how you’d react:

1) Russia is threatening further invasion of, and war with, Ukraine. Knowing this, if you were currently living in Ukraine, would you stay and deal with whatever happens, or leave and resettle somewhere else? Feel free to answer both as if you were a born and raised Ukrainian and also if you were just living there as a non-native.

2) China has implied it will make a move to retake Taiwan in the coming years. Same questions as Q1.

3) It’s been determined the ~12 year old Millennium Tower in San Francisco leaned an additional 3” to the north and up to 3” west over the past year. Overall, since it opened, the tower has tilted an additional 24” west and just under 8” to the north. It has also sunk 18” in that same time.
These are luxury apartments costing millions. Do you stay or try to sell if you’re already living there and
a) this was a huge financial investment that will have a lasting impact on you going forward if you suffer significant losses?
b) this was a large investment but you’re more than able to handle any future financial losses related to the property?

Bonus question: You don’t live in the tower, but would you take a job working in the building?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

tOfficial Swill: Would you stay or would you go now? thread Empty Re: tOfficial Swill: Would you stay or would you go now? thread

Post by Floyd Robertson Thu 13 Jan 2022 - 20:12

I'm not a fan of bullets, bombs, falling from great heights or having the ceiling come down on my head.

tOfficial Swill: Would you stay or would you go now? thread 4198636888
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

tOfficial Swill: Would you stay or would you go now? thread Empty Re: tOfficial Swill: Would you stay or would you go now? thread

Post by tGreenWay Thu 13 Jan 2022 - 20:39

Floyd Robertson wrote:I'm not a fan of bullets, bombs, falling from great heights or having the ceiling come down on my head.

tOfficial Swill: Would you stay or would you go now? thread 4198636888

Technically, if the tower topples and you manage to stay in your apartment, you might not be falling from a great height. Of course, the splat would take care of things, too.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu 13 Jan 2022 - 21:02

1) It really boils down to if I'm willing to be Russian. No = leave.
2) It really boils down to if I'm willing to be Chinese. No = leave.
3) It really boils down to if I'm willing to be flat. No = leave.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 13 Jan 2022 - 21:04

Motown Spartan wrote:1) It really boils down to if I'm willing to be Russian. No = leave.

Should’ve known you’d be unwilling to compromise. tOfficial Swill: Would you stay or would you go now? thread 1494614055
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Thu 13 Jan 2022 - 21:12

1 - It depends
2 - It depends
3 - Probably sell, though not sure how much big buildings shift over time, a few inches doesn't seem like a big deal.
BQ - yes

Last edited by Trapper Gus on Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 8:27; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Thu 13 Jan 2022 - 21:21

No to Russia. Hell no to China.

No idea why anyone would want to live in a highrise.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Bredo Morstoel like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Thu 13 Jan 2022 - 21:25

I don't like the idea of a clash between Russian and Ukraine
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Thu 13 Jan 2022 - 21:28

I’d probably just stay at your moms house until things blow over
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 13 Jan 2022 - 21:56

Trapper Gus wrote:1 - It depends
2 - It depends
3 - Probably sell, though not sure how much big building shift over time, a few inches doesn't seem like a big deal.
BQ - yes

And are you firm with those answers?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Thu 13 Jan 2022 - 21:58

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I’d probably just stay at your moms house until things blow over

Bring your bible. On second thought, you’re going to wear out the first one pretty quickly, so bring two. tOfficial Swill: Would you stay or would you go now? thread 2376398117 tOfficial Swill: Would you stay or would you go now? thread 1837840279
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Thu 13 Jan 2022 - 22:14

tGreenWay wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:1) It really boils down to if I'm willing to be Russian. No = leave.

Should’ve known you’d be unwilling to compromise. tOfficial Swill: Would you stay or would you go now? thread 1494614055

Your mom likes to compromise. And blowing Travis.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 0:14

Motown Spartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Your mom likes to compromise. And blowing Travis.

I got nothing right now, but you wait til tomorrow, mister.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 1:28

Gone. All three. I think I’ve got to the point in life where I deserve to die in my sleep, peacefully on the couch after an MSU bowl game.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 3:35

DWags wrote:Gone. All three.   I think I’ve got to the point in life where I deserve to die in my sleep, peacefully on the couch after an MSU bowl game.

The only time I might consider sticking around is if I’m Ukrainian born and raised. Even then, I’m likely to jet. All those stories and images we saw growing up of life behind the Iron Curtain would be enough to get me packing my bags. And Taiwan? Forget it. The Chinese are ruthless. I’d prefer not to have my body ground into the cracks of the road by getting run over by multiple tanks, thank you very much. And the tower? Fuck it. I’ll take the financial loss over loss of life every time. Every one of these scenarios is likely to end up with a lot of us asking why people didn’t react in advance, since it was obvious something bad was going to happen.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 6:31

DWags wrote:Gone. All three. I think I’ve got to the point in life where I deserve to die in my sleep, peacefully on the couch after an MSU bowl game.

Like the Jack Handey quote at the beginning of Dont Look Up says, I hope that I will die in my sleep like my father, not screaming in terror like his passengers.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 8:31

tGreenWay wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:1 - It depends
2 - It depends
3 - Probably sell, though not sure how much big building shift over time, a few inches doesn't seem like a big deal.
BQ - yes

And are you firm with those answers?

It depends on if I was emotionally attached to the place and the people or not.

Others have said it, if it were where I was born and grew up that would be one thing. If you are talking about me, someone born and raised in Michigan, then yes, let's go somewhere else..
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bredo Morstoel Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 8:40

1. I'd stay. I've been to Russia a few times. I don't mind the Russians. They're cool. And I don't think Putin wants to subjugate the people so much as just claim the territory and prevent them from joining NATO. So I'd ride it out.

2. I'd GTFO faster than the Road Runner being chased by Wiley E. China doesn't exactly have the greatest human rights history against it's perceived enemies.

3. I'd never live in a high rise in a big city, so I'd sell. If it was going to be a huge financial hit, maybe I'd rent it out to someone else and go to a LCOL place and collect my rent checks until it pancaked.
Bredo Morstoel
Bredo Morstoel
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick Saunders Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 10:15

If you had predicted 30 years ago that the US govt would become dysfunctional would you have left?

Rick Saunders
Rick Saunders
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 10:31

Should I try to claim Canadian citizenship... ya know... just in case?

(Ma was a Detroit Canadian when I was born...)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 11:02

DWags wrote:Gone. All three. I think I’ve got to the point in life where I deserve to die in my sleep, peacefully on the couch after an MSU bowl game.

I tried that during the Peach Bowl, ended up missing the second half of the game.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 11:43

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Should I try to claim Canadian citizenship... ya know... just in case?

It would be such an easy decision if Canada was in the Caribbean.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 12:33

tGreenWay wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Should I try to claim Canadian citizenship... ya know... just in case?

It's south of Detroit, if that counts for anything
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 12:41

I put my faith in the Lord and I suggest that you should to.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 13:04

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Born and raised?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 13:32

Bredo Morstoel wrote:1. I'd stay. I've been to Russia a few times. I don't mind the Russians. They're cool. And I don't think Putin wants to subjugate the people so much as just claim the territory and prevent them from joining NATO. So I'd ride it out.

2. I'd GTFO faster than the Road Runner being chased by Wiley E. China doesn't exactly have the greatest human rights history against it's perceived enemies.

3. I'd never live in a high rise in a big city, so I'd sell. If it was going to be a huge financial hit, maybe I'd rent it out to someone else and go to a LCOL place and collect my rent checks until it pancaked.

Yeah, Putin tends to be pretty chill when it comes to people that oppose him. Not into subjugating them all.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 13:55

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Bredo Morstoel wrote:1. I'd stay. I've been to Russia a few times. I don't mind the Russians. They're cool. And I don't think Putin wants to subjugate the people so much as just claim the territory and prevent them from joining NATO. So I'd ride it out.

Yeah, Putin tends to be pretty chill when it comes to people that oppose him. Not into subjugating them all.
he did run the United States for 4 years and we see how that turned out..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 14:15

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

he did run the United States for 4 years and we see how that turned out..
Yep. We ended up with dementia, pedophile JB.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bredo Morstoel Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 14:48

MiamiSpartan wrote:

China is way worse.
Bredo Morstoel
Bredo Morstoel
Spartiate

The Pantry likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 15:34

Bredo Morstoel wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

China is way worse.

six of one, half dozen of another. If either one doesn't like the way you think they either kill you or lock you up at hard labor.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 15:45

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Looked it up, one generation after a citizen was naturalized somewhere else (Ma became Merican)... So I'M CANADIAN!!!!!!
But my kids are screwed in the coming war with Gilead...
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 15:48

Jake from State Farm wrote:
Bredo Morstoel wrote:

China is way worse.

six of one, half dozen of another. If either one doesn't like the way you think they either kill you or lock you up at hard labor.
Weird.

Think I could actually get along with the Russians.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 15:52

The Pantry wrote:
Jake from State Farm wrote:

Weird.

Pretty sure you voted for them...twice!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 16:05

Motown Spartan wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Weird.

Pretty sure you voted for them...twice!
Better than voting for the Chinese!
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 16:42

This thread is incredibly stupid and boring and greenway was wrong to make it so let me change the topic ever so slightly

You wake up in the morning next to a girl (or guy, it doesn’t matter). You’ve never met them before last night. The sex was pretty good. Not great. But pretty good. You walk out of the bedroom for a little tinkle, and realize that you didn’t notice in your haste to get to the bedroom last night that the entire living room is decorated like you’re living in Frodo’s house. Like, this person not only loves lord of the rings, they might actually think that they themselves are a hobbit. It’s way way way over the top.

Are you going back in the bedroom, or leaving quietly
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 16:45

Who gets out of bed for a little tinkle?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 16:46

The Pantry wrote:Who gets out of bed for a little tinkle?

You got out of bed for whatever reason you want pantry that isn’t really the point here
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 17:13

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:This thread is incredibly stupid and boring and greenway was wrong to make it so let me change the topic ever so slightly

You wake up in the morning next to a girl (or guy, it doesn’t matter). You’ve never met them before last night. The sex was pretty good. Not great. But pretty good. You walk out of the bedroom for a little tinkle, and realize that you didn’t notice in your haste to get to the bedroom last night that the entire living room is decorated like you’re living in Frodo’s house. Like, this person not only loves lord of the rings, they might actually think that they themselves are a hobbit. It’s way way way over the top.

False premise. Everybody knows Travis wets the bed. 💦
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 17:16

tGreenWay wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:This thread is incredibly stupid and boring and greenway was wrong to make it so let me change the topic ever so slightly

False premise. Everybody knows Travis wets the bed. 💦

It literally says “YOU” you dope.

Yes, everyone knows I’m into water sports and there is no way I would still need to per the morning after
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Fri 14 Jan 2022 - 17:59

Does she have hairy hobbit feet?
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next