Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roku 3 vs Chromecast

+9
Nordic
yoderdame
steveschneider
Giant Moose
InTenSity
MiamiSpartan
Heat Miser
Blanch32
Jake from State Farm
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Roku 3 vs Chromecast Empty Roku 3 vs Chromecast

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-08-05, 11:31

I've got Google Chromecast and can't stand it. Jerky picture and I've got to lug around a computer to make the damn thing work. Looking to buy a Roku 3 instead. Is it worth it or am I just wasting more money?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Roku 3 vs Chromecast Empty Re: Roku 3 vs Chromecast

Post by Blanch32 2014-08-05, 11:34

Still haven't gotten my Chromecast to work either. Complete waste of money if you ask me. Not simple and intuitive at all. A simple monitor cord and dual screen set up would have been easier
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-08-05, 11:51

I don't think you people understand how Chromecast works.

1. DTV goes out Sunday night during nasty thunderstorm.
2. Change TV input to Chromecast.
3. Open HBO-to-go app on tablet.
4. Start True Blood episode.
5. Tap Chomecast icon.
6. Profit.

Ridiculously simple...which explains why Blanch is having trouble, but I expect a little more from you Jake.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-08-05, 11:56

Heat Miser wrote:I don't think you people understand how Chromecast works.

5. Tap Chomecast icon.
6. Profit.

Ridiculously simple...which explains why Blanch is having trouble, but I expect a little more from you Jake.

I can make it work just fine, it's just that the picture is jerky and I can't seem to get that fixed. My internet connection is around 6mps so it's plenty fast, wireless modem is working fine too. I need something that the wife can easily figure out too, I think her and Blanch went to the same school.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-08-05, 11:59

Jake from State Farm wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:I don't think you people understand how Chromecast works.

5. Tap Chomecast icon.
6. Profit.

I can make it work just fine, it's just that the picture is jerky and I can't seem to get that fixed. My internet connection is around 6mps so it's plenty fast, wireless modem is working fine too. I need something that the wife can easily figure out too, I think her and Blanch went to the same school.

Details. What are you watching? What device are you "casting" from?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-08-05, 12:05

I'm casting from a laptop, it seems to be a little better if I cast from my desktop that's wired instead of wifi, but it's still jerky. I don't remember what I was watching, I quit using it a couple months ago.
I did find this, but setting the video to 480p doesn't sound like a good option.

http://www.googletvforum.org/threads/buffering-problem.8386/

Last edited by Jake from State Farm on 2014-08-05, 12:13; edited 1 time in total
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-08-05, 12:05

Jake from State Farm wrote:

I've never had any problems with the picture, and using it via Netflix, HBOGo, WatchESPN, Youtube, etc., couldn't be simpler (you simply select that input on your TV, and hit the Chromecast icon).

I thought I've seen that Roku has more apps that it works with, but it costs a little more (I think), so it depends on whether you'd use the other apps. 90% of my use of it is Netflix, but that's just me.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2014-08-05, 12:06

You forgot ridiculous set up time bf not all op systems are configured for it.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-08-05, 12:12

Is there a point to get chromecast if you have a smart tv? I can already stream all that stuff anyway.

Question 2, can I slingbox over a smart tv? If I don't want to pay for B1G network and I have relatives living in a B1G area?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-08-05, 12:20

Jake from State Farm wrote:I'm casting from a laptop, it seems to be a little better if I cast from my desktop that's wired instead of wifi, but it's still jerky. I don't remember what I was watching, I quit using it a couple months ago.
I did find this, but setting the video to 480p doesn't sound like a good option.

http://www.googletvforum.org/threads/buffering-problem.8386/

There's your problem. You should be casting from an app via a mobile device. Casting from a laptop/desktop Chrome tab does not work very well.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-08-05, 12:21

Blanch32 wrote:You forgot ridiculous set up time bf not all op systems are configured for it.

You mean the <5 minutes it takes to plug it in & connect to wifi?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-08-05, 12:22

Heat Miser wrote:

There's your problem. You should be casting from an app via a mobile device. Casting from a laptop/desktop Chrome tab does not work very well.

OKay, I'll try that and see what happens.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2014-08-05, 12:22

InTenSity wrote:Is there a point to get chromecast if you have a smart tv? I can already stream all that stuff anyway.

Question 2, can I slingbox over a smart tv? If I don't want to pay for B1G network and I have relatives living in a B1G area?
You're in Florida, right? I'm surprised with the number of Northern transplants that BTN isn't on regular cable yet there.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-08-05, 12:23

I have Roku 3 and I give it two thumbs up. We watch the PBS ap, MLB and Netflix aps constantly. It's great also, if you have anyone that will give you an id and password for ESPN.

Had Google Chromecast, for $30, it wasn't too bad. Used it to cast a few NCAA games from the computer, but the picture was terrible. There's some PBS documentaries and stuff that would be nice to cast from the computer that aren't on Roku. Our Chromecast broke, it is pretty flimsy but for what I paid it wasn't too bad.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-08-05, 12:23

Giant Moose wrote:
You're in Florida, right? I'm surprised with the number of Northern transplants that BTN isn't on regular cable yet there.

Is there a B10 Roku Ap?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-08-05, 12:24

MiamiSpartan wrote:
I've never had any problems with the picture, and using it via Netflix, HBOGo, WatchESPN, Youtube, etc., couldn't be simpler (you simply select that input on your TV, and hit the Chromecast icon).

I thought I've seen that Roku has more apps that it works with, but it costs a little more (I think), so it depends on whether you'd use the other apps.  90% of my use of it is Netflix, but that's just me.

Roku 3 is about $100, Chromecast is $30 or so.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-08-05, 12:25

InTenSity wrote:Is there a point to get chromecast if you have a smart tv? I can already stream all that stuff anyway.

Depends how "smart" the TV is, but at <=$30 does it really matter?

I don't know. Never used a slingbox.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-08-05, 12:29

Giant Moose wrote:
Why would comcast and brighthouse add in the BTN, when they can charge $10/month for the sports package. It went from $5 one year, to $10, the next. There are no B1G teams in FL and its outside the footprint that the BTN negotiated. We are getting the SEC network, though. I think most people have it, ESPN is going to be the operating name of it.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-08-05, 12:30

InTenSity wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:
Why would comcast and brighthouse add in the BTN, when they can charge $10/month for the sports package. It went from $5 one year, to $10, the next. There are no B1G teams in FL and its outside the footprint that the BTN negotiated. We are getting the SEC network, though. I think most people have it, ESPN is going to be the operating name of it.

Have your relatives give you their credentials & use BTN 2 Go. Roku 3 vs Chromecast 2599972566
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-08-05, 12:31

Heat Miser wrote:

Have your relatives give you their credentials & use BTN 2 Go. Roku 3 vs Chromecast 2599972566
Going to do that this year. I just usually forget about it. I think I need to get it from my buddy who I gave my HBOGo information to.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-08-06, 09:04

Ok, what about Fire TV? Is there any comparison to Roku, or is it a combination of Chromecast and Roku?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by yoderdame 2014-08-06, 15:00

Chromecast would come in handy if you wanted to view ESPN3 or FirstRowSports.com from your Chrome Browser. Aside from that, yeah, smart TV's can do Netflix and Amazon Prime.

And to your 2nd question, yes, I've tried this and we got it to work but had to massage a bit and there was a bit of a lag. It's not ideal, but can be done if you're desperate.  

I've got a Chromecast and a Slingbox and both are very easy to set up and use.
yoderdame
yoderdame
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-08-06, 15:07

I was looking around and I have a Samsung SmartV. I didn't see in the apps that they had BTN, which sucks, but I'm assuming push comes to shove, maybe I could run it from my phone and AllShare it (or whatever it is when I connect through my phone) or I can use the stock browser that is on the TV.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-08-06, 15:17

yoderdame wrote:

Chromecast would come in handy if you wanted to view ESPN3 or FirstRowSports.com from your Chrome Browser. Aside from that, yeah, smart TV's can do Netflix and Amazon Prime.

And to your 2nd question, yes, I've tried this and we got it to work but had to massage a bit and there was a bit of a lag. It's not ideal, but can be done if you're desperate.  

I've got a Chromecast and a Slingbox and both are very easy to set up and use.

If you wanted to watch ESPN3 via Chromecast, you'd get much better results using the WatchESPN app. You'll always get better results through an app that supports Chromecast. That's because when you "cast" from an app you're actually passing a link to Chromecast. Then Chromecast goes & gets the content itself. You're free to close the casting app & go on about your business on the casting device.

When casting from Chrome on a laptop/desktop, Chrome is getting the content & streaming it to Chromecast. Basically a double-hop at different speeds (ISP connection, then wifi), which is why it's often choppy.

The solution is the AllCast app, which allows you to cast just about anything from your phone/tablet to your Chromecast. The caveat is that your TV must support the casted video codec.

P.S. Here's the link to all the Chromecast Apps.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by yoderdame 2014-08-06, 15:25

Heat Miser wrote:

If you wanted to watch ESPN3 via Chromecast, you'd get much better results using the WatchESPN app. You'll always get better results through an app that supports Chromecast. That's because when you "cast" from an app you're actually passing a link to Chromecast. Then Chromecast goes & gets the content itself. You're free to close the casting app & go on about your business on the casting device.

When casting from Chrome on a laptop/desktop, Chrome is getting the content & streaming it to Chromecast. Basically a double-hop at different speeds (ISP connection, then wifi), which is why it's often choppy.

The solution is the AllCast app, which allows you to cast just about anything from your phone/tablet to your Chromecast. The caveat is that your TV must support the casted video codec.

I was using my laptop for ESPN3 before I had my iPad but agree, if you're going to use your phone or iPad, the WatchESPN app would be the way to go. I don't have the choppy issue when sending anything from my laptop or iPad to Chromecast but I didn't know about the AllCast app. I'm going to check that out. Thanks for that tip and about looking out for the codec thing.
yoderdame
yoderdame
Perioikos

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-08-06, 15:49

Heat Miser wrote:

Your TV must support the casted video codec? Or Chromecast must support it? Wouldn't the TV play whatever Chromecast sends through the HDMI connection? Chromecast is pretty limited in it's format capabilities (not just codecs). I think it's only mp4? No avi, flv, or mkv. I remember trying to cast some videos from my phone and it wouldn't. That's my only complaint about Chromecast, but as stated earlier in the thread, 90% of my usage is Netflix, so it's not a huge deal.

MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-08-06, 16:03

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Your TV must support the casted video codec?  Or Chromecast must support it?  Wouldn't the TV play whatever Chromecast sends through the HDMI connection?  Chromecast is pretty limited in it's format capabilities (not just codecs).  I think it's only mp4?  No avi, flv, or mkv.  I remember trying to cast some videos from my phone and it wouldn't.  That's my only complaint about Chromecast, but as stated earlier in the thread, 90% of my usage is Netflix, so it's not a huge deal.

According to their documentation, when using AllCast, the TV must support the casted video Codec.

FYI...I just tried BTN2Go with AllCast...no dice. There are some other video Chromecast apps that might work.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-08-06, 19:51

Heat Miser wrote:

+582.21 bitlikes
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-08-10, 15:07

Heat Miser wrote:

Alright, just tried the AllCast app to watch a vid I took on my phone (SG3). Still jerky as hell. It would pause every 3-4 seconds, then play, then pause. WTF am I doing wrong?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomer 2014-08-11, 01:45

Heat Miser wrote:

All of Miser's machinations sound like good reasons to just buy a Roku, eh?

Last edited by Gomer on 2014-08-11, 07:37; edited 1 time in total
Gomer
Gomer
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by A. Allen 2014-08-11, 07:11

I own a Chromecast and love it.

If your favorite websites are Netflix, Hulu Plus, Youtube, or any other website that has built-in casting capabilities, it's worth every penny. Also, if you have an android device, it's worth every penny. (I fall into the first category.)

Otherwise, at this stage, get a Roku. If you have primarily Apple products in your home, get an Apple TV.

Things will get better in two or three years once more Chromecast-specific apps are developed and the Cast to TV functionality is hammered out. It's still a product in its infancy.

That said, it's $35. You're not committing that much cash.
A. Allen
A. Allen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-08-11, 12:08

Gomer wrote:All of Miser's machinations sound like good reasons to just buy a Roku, eh?

I never said to get one or the other. Just trying to help those that have a Chromecast use it properly.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-08-11, 12:10

Nordic wrote:
Alright, just tried the AllCast app to watch a vid I took on my phone (SG3).  Still jerky as hell.  It would pause every 3-4 seconds, then play, then pause. WTF am I doing wrong?

At that point performance should be a function of your wifi speed. Also, I assume you mean Galaxy S3, which may be a little underpowered to stream video to another device.

You might check out some of the other video casting apps now available for Chromecast Roku 3 vs Chromecast 2599972566
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-08-11, 12:27

Heat Miser wrote:

At that point performance should be a function of your wifi speed. Also, I assume you mean Galaxy S3, which may be a little underpowered to stream video to another device.

You might check out some of the other video casting apps now available for Chromecast Roku 3 vs Chromecast 2599972566
I've used my S3 to 'sling' or whatever you want to call it, YouTube to my TV before. It hasn't been a problem. I think I even did it because the wifi in my house was somewhat weak at the time.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-08-11, 12:33

InTenSity wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

I've used my S3 to 'sling' or whatever you want to call it, YouTube to my TV before. It hasn't been a problem. I think I even did it because the wifi in my house was somewhat weak at the time.

I suspect in that case your phone passed the YouTube video link to your TV & the TV did all the work.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-08-11, 12:41

I will say Mrs. Miser's Apple TV was able to cast some Falling Skies episodes (TNT app doesn't support Chromecast) while the Chromecast was not. Some minor choppiness in 2 episodes & lost the video halfway through the 3rd.

However, one device is the size of a USB stick with no remote (I consider that a good thing) & cost $30, while the other is the size of a hockey puck with a (very stylish) remote, & cost $100.

She's also been able to cast some popular pr0n sites very nicely with the Apple TV.  Twisted Evil 
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2014-08-11, 13:21

I have a Roku 3 and I love it - especially since the you tube channel came online last year. Love being able to make a virtual connection between my GS4 and the Roku to play you tube videos. You tube link in phone gets passed to Roku and the Roku handles the streaming while the phone can still control everything. I have zero problems. That being said, I have a gigabit wired Ethernet in my house and my Roku is connected to that, so no issues with wifi connection bandwidth sharing, although the incoming 18 mbps internet connection is shared, but once the streaming content is passed to the switch, nobody else's connection sees it. Makes a big difference in performance.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-08-11, 13:39

Heat Miser wrote:

I suspect in that case your phone passed the YouTube video link to your TV & the TV did all the work.
This is the symbol that my phone shows. Albeit a bit smaller.
Roku 3 vs Chromecast 9k=
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-08-11, 13:56

InTenSity wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

This is the symbol that my phone shows. Albeit a bit smaller.
Roku 3 vs Chromecast 9k=

I believe that's AllShare, which is Samsung specific based on DLNA technology, & you have Samsung phone & TV IIRC. AllShare is one reason I regret buying Vizio TVs rather than Samsung TVs as Samsung TVs would do lots of cool stuff with my Samsung phone & tablet.

Not positive, as I haven't done a lot of research on DLNA, but I'm guessing your TV is acting as a DLNA server & when you "cast" the YouTube video to the TV the TV goes and gets it. Same as in the commercial where the guy "flicks" the video he's watching on his phone to the TV and it instantly continues on the TV.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-08-11, 14:01

Heat Miser wrote:

I believe that's AllShare, which is Samsung specific based on DLNA technology, & you have Samsung phone & TV IIRC. AllShare is one reason I regret buying Vizio TVs rather than Samsung TVs as Samsung TVs would do lots of cool stuff with my Samsung phone & tablet.

Not positive, as I haven't done a lot of research on DLNA, but I'm guessing your TV is acting as a DLNA server & when you "cast" the YouTube video to the TV the TV goes and gets it. Same as in the commercial where the guy "flicks" the video he's watching on his phone to the TV and it instantly continues on the TV.
Ya, that is it, I forgot about that part of it. The symbol doesn't come up with everything, but it does with HBOGo, youtube, video, well maybe it would do it all. I really need to get a BTN account on my phone setup and see if that works. I'd rather watch that way, as Samsung doesn't have the BTN app for the TV.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next