Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody here have a Roku player?

+7
The Pantry
Other Teams Pursuing That
Code_Warrior
Jake from State Farm
Blanch32
steveschneider
Turtleneck
11 posters

Go down

Anybody here have a Roku player? Empty Anybody here have a Roku player?

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-19, 09:19

No cable for me. Just a Roku player. Woke up to an enticing email from Roku offering Sling TV for $20.

Sling TV features the best of live TV like ESPN, TNT, TBS, Disney Channel, HGTV, and more!

Plus, with our extensive library of video on demand, you can rent the hottest new movies and see the latest episodes
of your favorite shows. The best part? Sling TV is just $20/month!

The only issue is I would basically be paying $20 a month for ESPN, which I would only watch when MSU is playing. It's also no contract so you can cancel anytime. Even if you do not have a Roku, might be worth getting one and cutting the cord...sort of.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Anybody here have a Roku player? Empty Re: Anybody here have a Roku player?

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-19, 09:26

I think its worth it. We love our Roku 3.

Also, IMO $20.00 is worth it for ESPN. If you don't have that your options are streaming (terrible quality) or going to a sports bar.

We also have Netflix, MLB and I love the PBS ap. Tons of free stuff on there and we probably watch that one the most.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-19, 09:35

steveschneider wrote:I think its worth it. We love our Roku 3.

Also, IMO $20.00 is worth it for ESPN. If you don't have that your options are streaming (terrible quality) or going to a sports bar.

We also have Netflix, MLB and I love the PBS ap. Tons of free stuff on there and we probably watch that one the most.

I have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. Amazon is upfront, so this would take my monthly bill to about $38. That is seems like a good deal for that amount of content. With the Tournament coming up, TBS will be nice.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-02-19, 09:44

Not worth it unless the iu game is on ESPN
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-19, 09:45

Turtleneck wrote:

I have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. Amazon is upfront, so this would take my monthly bill to about $38. That is seems like a good deal for that amount of content. With the Tournament coming up, TBS will be nice.

Yeah, I think during baseball season we are running around there. We got lucky a friend with a cable subscription hooked me up with his login info for ESPN so we have that one for free. I'd gladly pay for it.

I think I paid just under $99.00 for Roku when it came out. I just remembered another channel, we use Youtube to watch a lot of published clips like the Keith Olbermann show.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2015-02-19, 10:43

The deal is that you have to pay upfront for 3 months of SlingTV with an auto renewal. Still not a bad deal though, I signed up for it the other day.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-02-19, 10:49

Jake from State Farm wrote:The deal is that you have to pay upfront for 3 months of SlingTV with an auto renewal. Still not a bad deal though, I signed up for it the other day.

I can live without every cable channel except for ESPN. If you want to watch college sports you have to have it. $20.00 is worth it.

The B10 channel would be smart to offer a similar package. I'd probably pay $10.00/month or so for it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2015-02-19, 11:19

I have a Roku 3. We pay for Netflix. However, I really like the YouTube channel. Pair my phone with the Roku, surf YouTube on my phone and throw it up to the TV, it's sweet.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-02-19, 11:23

Turtleneck wrote:

Can't you just stream the tourney through the website and hook it up to your TV by HDMI?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-02-19, 11:35

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Can't you just stream the tourney through the website and hook it up to your TV by HDMI?

Yes. I think. Actually not sure. But probably.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-01-05, 19:47

Bought daughter a Roku Ultra for Christmas. She finally checked it out today and discovered it doesn't work with her non-powered USB external drive.

Not up to speed on mobile gear. Anyone know of a small battery powered USB hub/charger/power supply that might add enough power to allow her external drive to work with the Roku?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2017-01-06, 00:45

The Pantry wrote:Bought daughter a Roku Ultra for Christmas. She finally checked it out today and discovered it doesn't work with her non-powered USB external drive.

Not up to speed on mobile gear. Anyone know of a small battery powered USB hub/charger/power supply that might add enough power to allow her external drive to work with the Roku?

I have a 3 and it works fine with a 128GB USB stick - haven't tried an external drive on it though. How much space does she need?

Solution here maybe? linky
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2017-01-06, 09:19

Use the Ric Flair player it weighs 400 lbs
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2017-01-06, 12:36

Questions for the cord cutters..

How do get local channels?

Can you DVR programs?

Do you have multiple setups for multiple TVs?

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2017-01-06, 12:50

OP is a buzz agent. We be spammin'.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2017-01-06, 18:49

Cym Jim wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Bought daughter a Roku Ultra for Christmas. She finally checked it out today and discovered it doesn't work with her non-powered USB external drive.

I have a 3 and it works fine with a 128GB USB stick - haven't tried an external drive on it though. How much space does she need?

Solution here maybe? linky
Not sure how much she really needs. Her portable external is 1TB. Have seen thumb drives with that capacity but the good ones (Kingston) are not cheap. There are plenty of cheaper brands but they all have bad reviews.

Thanks for the link. The Protronix hub would work but think she's looking for something that doesn't need an AC connection. After thinking about it some more I'm wondering if a USB powered hub (connected to the TV) would work...?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down