Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best way from Chicago to East Lansing

+18
goodbar
Chitown_Badger
Larry Kazamias
Death Roe
Phil McCrackin
RBW Spartan
Turtleneck
Bonerland
Snake Plissken
SawGreen
Nordic
beal99
Rocinante
Rodeo Burger
Chief Sparty
InTenSity
Green Ninja
RubberbandMan
22 posters

Go down

Best way from Chicago to East Lansing  Empty Best way from Chicago to East Lansing

Post by RubberbandMan 2014-08-07, 16:39

So, having graduated MSU, I'll be doing my masters in Chicago next year. Apartment in Hyde Park. I bought young alumni season tickets for football, thinking I'll catch OSU, Nebraska, and UM, while selling the rest to recoup a couple bucks.

Problem is, I don't have a car next year, and Chicago's a new town for me. What's the best/cheapest/most expedient way to get from Hyde Park to East Lansing? I know transportation on a limited budget isn't usually the forte of a Swill baller, but I figured I'd ask anyway. I've heard bus and train - what's your preferred route and why? How long do they take, and are posted times reliable?

Thanks, and try not to make this thread about Obama or guns.
RubberbandMan
RubberbandMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Best way from Chicago to East Lansing  Empty Re: Best way from Chicago to East Lansing

Post by Green Ninja 2014-08-07, 16:40

uber
Green Ninja
Green Ninja
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Best way from Chicago to East Lansing  Empty Re: Best way from Chicago to East Lansing

Post by InTenSity 2014-08-07, 16:51

PM Spartan Rocky?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chief Sparty 2014-08-07, 17:02

ITT: A guy that doesn't know about Megabus

wut.
Chief Sparty
Chief Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-08-07, 17:45

Chief Sparty wrote:ITT: A guy that doesn't know about Megabus

wut.

The budget bus lines are great. You never know if they'll show up, if they'll leave on time, if the bus will break down, or if the driver will be drunk or not.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-08-07, 17:48

Practice practice practice.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by beal99 2014-08-07, 18:24

rental, amtrak, megabus.
beal99
beal99
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-08-07, 18:37

This joint runs shuttle packages to games

http://www.higginstavern.com
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2014-08-07, 19:01

Best way from Chicago to East Lansing  Sparta10
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken 2014-08-07, 19:40

Train for sure
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RubberbandMan 2014-08-07, 20:34

So, one vote for train, one vote for bus (with the implication that I'm a dumbass for not already knowing that), one for all of the above, and one for a tavern with a website from 1996.  Best way from Chicago to East Lansing  2599972566 

But really, thanks for the responses. I think I'm leaning toward Amtrak, since that seems like it'd be more reliable than a 1 dollar bus ticket.
RubberbandMan
RubberbandMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonerland 2014-08-07, 21:28

I would recommend the train. It's more than the bus but on the train you can walk around and pay a little extra for a business class seat and they sell booze on the train in the lounge car. The seats are much bigger on the train as well and the bathrooms are bigger.

Bonerland
Bonerland
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-08-07, 21:31

Goodbar will let you use one of his private jets, but keep in mind they are on conveyer belts.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chief Sparty 2014-08-07, 21:37

The megabus is pretty reliable and runs like 4 times a day. If you're looking for cheap, that's the way to go. Plus they have WiFi I believe.
Chief Sparty
Chief Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by SawGreen 2014-08-07, 22:22

I just took a train from GR to Chicago, and Chicago to Denver.  This train had wifi on the GR to Chicago leg.  Seats were very comfortable and plenty of room.  It can be a little slower, but to me a much better experience.  I actually made money working from the train.
SawGreen
SawGreen
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RBW Spartan 2014-08-08, 07:26

I would advise finding a Spartan with a car. Odds are there are someone you know on Facebook or the other board or all msu or reddit or TOC etc.

I'm guessing there are multiple people that drive up from Chicago that would be more than willing to let you tag along for the gas money / booze / gifts / companionship.

Are you going to be spending the night in EL?
RBW Spartan
RBW Spartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin 2014-08-08, 09:12

I take Chicago > EL Amtrack all the time. Free wi-fi and lots of leg room. It does get delayed sometimes, but usually not a big deal. It's cheap and I can read, work or watch movies.

I've never taken the bus. If I'm going to sit in traffic, I'd prefer to do it in my own car. 90/94 through NWI is usually pretty awful. When it's not buried under several feet of lake effect snow, it's under construction and always packed full of assholes from Chicago all driving back to Michigan for the weekend.

You attending University of Chicago?

Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil McCrackin 2014-08-08, 09:18

RubberbandMan wrote:So, one vote for train, one vote for bus (with the implication that I'm a dumbass for not already knowing that), one for all of the above, and one for a tavern with a website from 1996.  Best way from Chicago to East Lansing  2599972566 

But really, thanks for the responses. I think I'm leaning toward Amtrak, since that seems like it'd be more reliable than a 1 dollar bus ticket.

Higgins is awesome. 1996 is probably being generous, they are an old school neighborhood tavern and that is what makes them awesome.
Jim is a good guy and runs some really great bus shuttle/tailgate parties to MSU games at Illinois, Purdue, Notre Dame, Northwestern, etc. I've been on several and he is a great host.

Come up to the North Side and check out his place sometime.

Phil McCrackin
Phil McCrackin
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RubberbandMan 2014-08-08, 17:58

Phil McCrackin wrote:

Higgins is awesome. 1996 is probably being generous, they are an old school neighborhood tavern and that is what makes them awesome.
Jim is a good guy and runs some really great bus shuttle/tailgate parties to MSU games at Illinois, Purdue, Notre Dame, Northwestern, etc. I've been on several and he is a great host.

Come up to the North Side and check out his place sometime.

It's definitely on my list. Thanks for the advice (both on the bar, and about the train). I'm probably going to go with the Amtrak - my girlfriend used to ride it from Kzoo to EL and back, we never had any problems with it, and it seems like the buses aren't always reliable.

And yeah, University of Chicago, and not many football fans in my program. Sounds like you live in the area? Any other places, bars, restaurants I should know about?
RubberbandMan
RubberbandMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2014-08-08, 19:32

How much you want for your Jax State tickets??
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by RubberbandMan 2014-08-09, 20:17

Death Roe wrote:How much you want for your Jax State tickets??

Already sold. Already have people for every game lined up, except for Rutgers.  Best way from Chicago to East Lansing  1401550746 
RubberbandMan
RubberbandMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry Kazamias 2014-08-09, 20:45

Run Forrest run
Larry Kazamias
Larry Kazamias
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Chitown_Badger 2014-08-11, 14:15

I've heard the trains can sometimes be really delayed because they get stuck behind freight trains. Seems to be a little hit or miss.
Chitown_Badger
Chitown_Badger
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by beal99 2014-08-11, 14:29

Chitown_Badger wrote:I've heard the trains can sometimes be really delayed because they get stuck behind freight trains. Seems to be a little hit or miss.

Only from Chicago-Porter, IN. Stupid Amtrak running on the 3rd busiest freight line in the country
beal99
beal99
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar 2014-08-11, 15:39

Turtleneck wrote:Goodbar will let you use one of his private jets, but keep in mind they are on conveyer belts.

and the planes' wet bars are all stocked with only the finest of jenkem. even my stewardesses where jorts, not just the flight crew. awesome experience. he'd love it.
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Hut1hut2 2014-08-12, 11:52

Flying carpet or unicycle
Hut1hut2
Hut1hut2
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-08-12, 12:06

goodbar wrote:

and the planes' wet bars are all stocked with only the finest of jenkem.  even my stewardesses where jorts, not just the flight crew.  awesome experience. he'd love it.

Do you want to invest in my new airline called Double J Airways? The best in-flight jenkem in the industry and a well dressed crew wearing only the finest jorts and other denim wears. Let me know. It's an exclusive opportunity and I can only hold so many spots. You will need to move quick.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain 2014-08-13, 13:52

Cars are for losers.
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-08-13, 15:04

do it 60's (and 50's) style & hitchhike

Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by goodbar 2014-08-13, 15:42

Wally Fairway wrote:do it 60's (and 50's) style & hitchhike

Best way from Chicago to East Lansing  $(KGrHqN,!hkE6Z3LGVwoBO)Iz2rGiQ~~60_12
goodbar
goodbar
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Loose Stools 2014-08-13, 15:49

Rodeo Burger wrote:

The budget bus lines are great.  You never know if they'll show up, if they'll leave on time, if the bus will break down, or if the driver will be drunk or not.
Sounds like a Spartan car pool to the Rose Bowl.
Loose Stools
Loose Stools
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down