Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tOfficial 2023 Spartan Football Thread

+22
InTenSity
MiamiSpartan
kingstonlake
Other Teams Pursuing That
Robert J Sakimano
gomersbro
duffy munn
Rick Saunders
Rocinante
Jake from State Farm
Motown Spartan
Floyd Robertson
Nordic
Trapper Gus
GRR Spartan
tGreenWay
Travis of the Cosmos
NigelUno
Turtleneck
DWags
Heat Miser
AvgMSUJoe
26 posters

Page 11 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next

Go down

tOfficial 2023 Spartan Football Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: tOfficial 2023 Spartan Football Thread

Post by NigelUno 2023-05-27, 18:54

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

So, you DO think the Big Ten forced us to play at Ford Field.

And Haller's focus groups and 3 weeks of weighing pros and cons were all bullshit that he just made up?

Members treated equally meaning each team gets the same amount of prime time games? OSU gets relegated to some Peacock game at some point? And ratings/TV revenue suffer...to be fair?

This you?

Yeah. Something isn't adding up (so to speak). If it was our idea to move the game to Ford Field, why would the Big Ten guarantee we're not going to lose money by moving the game to Detroit? Maybe this is just a case of things getting murky when talked about in detail.

I'm leaning more that Penn State wouldn't agree to move the game to Black Friday until the Detroit option was put on the table. I could be wrong.

We should be getting more in ticket revenue. If we're not, that's a problem.

Also

I don't mind the move to Detroit, but there's some spin going on.

There's spin going on because the blowback is a little hotter than expected.

Just because we decided to go along with playing in Detroit, doesn't mean we were forced to do it.

There are pros and cons.

It's not as simple as saying...THEY MADE US DO IT!!! IT'S NOT FAIR!!!

And Haller can't say we're going to make money on it, because that's going to piss people off even more. There's no chance it's a net zero deal. We're not making money...we're not losing money? Not buying that.

Here's the question Ebling should have asked...will tickets be $49 for season ticket holders?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

tOfficial 2023 Spartan Football Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: tOfficial 2023 Spartan Football Thread

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-05-27, 18:57

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

This you?

Yeah. Something isn't adding up (so to speak). If it was our idea to move the game to Ford Field, why would the Big Ten guarantee we're not going to lose money by moving the game to Detroit? Maybe this is just a case of things getting murky when talked about in detail.

I'm leaning more that Penn State wouldn't agree to move the game to Black Friday until the Detroit option was put on the table. I could be wrong.

Also

Just because we decided to go along with playing in Detroit, doesn't mean we were forced to do it.

There are pros and cons.  

It's not as simple as saying...THEY MADE US DO IT!!!  IT'S NOT FAIR!!!

And Haller can't say we're going to make money on it, because that's going to piss people off even more.  There's no chance it's a net zero deal.  We're not making money...we're not losing money?  Not buying that.

Here's the question Ebling should have asked...will tickets be $49 for season ticket holders?  

The B1G is making the East Lasing businesses which make money on the game whole, that may be what the "not making money, not losing money" refers to.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-05-27, 18:58

Trapper Gus wrote:
DWags wrote:

You’re buying tickets. List in order the reason via teams you’d buy

Central
Richmond
Washington
Maryland
Nebraska
Penn State
Michigan

I might accept a 2nd place vote for Washington. Anything else is bullshit.

You missed the only team that matters to me.

Lol. I’ll be at all of those games I’m pretty sure. I think I have a wedding on one. But it might be Saturday of central. So I think I’m good.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-05-27, 19:02

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

This you?

Also

There are pros and cons.

And Haller can't say we're going to make money on it, because that's going to piss people off even more. There's no chance it's a net zero deal. We're not making money...we're not losing money? Not buying that.

The committee he was talking about had season ticket holders and athletes on it. Who do you think was on it? Or do you think they were on it?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-05-27, 19:15

I would guess some big money ticket holders, what do you think?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-05-27, 19:22

Trapper Gus wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

There are pros and cons.  

And Haller can't say we're going to make money on it, because that's going to piss people off even more.  There's no chance it's a net zero deal.  We're not making money...we're not losing money?  Not buying that.

The B1G is making the East Lasing businesses which make money on the game whole, that may be what the "not making money, not losing money" refers to.

I'm confused by this post
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-05-27, 19:40

Trapper Gus wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

There are pros and cons.  

Not a chance in hell that is happening.

I think he was referring to ticket/parking/concessions. Stuff like that. On campus.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-05-27, 19:43

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

There are pros and cons.

The committee he was talking about had season ticket holders and athletes on it. Who do you think was on it? Or do you think they were on it?

Wut?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-05-27, 19:47

NigelUno wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

I think he was referring to ticket/parking/concessions. Stuff like that. On campus.

At best all I can say is it wasn't clear, however the local businesses are stakeholders in this decision.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-05-27, 20:05

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

Wut?

Who was on the committee as far as athletes and ticket holders in your opinion? Better yet, how was it able to be kept so quiet? Just curious
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-05-27, 20:33

Trapper Gus wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I think he was referring to ticket/parking/concessions.  Stuff like that.  On campus.  

At best all I can say is it wasn't clear, however the local businesses are stakeholders in this decision.

Local businesses will be affected for sure.  I think I saw an economic impact study that estimated a home football game is worth $11-12 million to the local economy.  Those studies are usually inflated, but even at $5-6 million it's a huge impact.  But, there would be no way to pay businesses (if they had to, the game wouldn't have been moved).  

We will make whatever average revenue for a home Spartan football game. Those things are guaranteed.”

Haller said those guarantees came from the Big Ten. Although he didn’t put a dollar figure on what Michigan State will receive, there are additional parties involved.

“What’s important to know is that those that made money off of home football games that were not athletics, like concessions and housing and some of those other entities here on campus, are going to be made whole,” Haller said. “Part of this agreement allows us to make sure that they are not going to have lost revenue from their bottom line. That’s important.”
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-05-27, 20:34

NigelUno wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Were local business included in the survey? Maybe but there is zero chance they were heard. None of them would support this move. And less than a zero chance they were "made whole".
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-05-27, 20:35

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Wut?

Who was on the committee as far as athletes and ticket holders in your opinion? Better yet, how was it able to be kept so quiet? Just curious

No idea. You should probably just make whatever point you're trying to make. tOfficial 2023 Spartan Football Thread - Page 11 502811600
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-05-27, 20:36

duffy munn wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Were local business included in the survey? Maybe but there is zero chance they were heard. None of them would support this move. And less than a zero chance they were "made whole".

I doubt local businesses were consulted. That wouldn't be a fun meeting.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-05-27, 20:37

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

No idea. You should probably just make whatever point you're trying to make. tOfficial 2023 Spartan Football Thread - Page 11 502811600

tOfficial 2023 Spartan Football Thread - Page 11 502811600

It was a pretty good secret.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-05-27, 20:54

NigelUno wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

I doubt local businesses were consulted. That wouldn't be a fun meeting.

Maybe an email with a survey. No way did they have a meeting.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-05-27, 20:56

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I heard about it. I didn't want to say anything, because I knew you would lose your mind.

You're welcome.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-05-27, 22:05

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

I heard about it. I didn't want to say anything, because I knew you would lose your mind.

You're welcome.

It’s cool. I know you’re tuned in. What you just posted answers a ton. I know you didn’t know but I also know if six people were on that committee the only way to keep that secret is if five of them were dead. Look, I’m not going to die on this hill. I really enjoy this board and you guys. I’ve always invited all of you to my tailgate and I think you all know how passionate I am about msu. I’m at 90% of home basketball and football games. I just don’t get how you guys don’t see that we were snookered here. I love Haller. I hope he is outrageously successful. It’s my opinion he got hosed. No big deal. But just own it. Don’t make excuses. We’ve given up a ton. The big ten owes us.

And if they don’t make us square, I’ll be at every home game screaming for us. And my tailgate is always open.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, duffy munn and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-05-28, 07:47

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

You're welcome.

It’s cool. I know you’re tuned in. What you just posted answers a ton. I know you didn’t know but I also know if six people were on that committee the only way to keep that secret is if five of them were dead. Look, I’m not going to die on this hill. I really enjoy this board and you guys. I’ve always invited all of you to my tailgate and I think you all know how passionate I am about msu. I’m at 90% of home basketball and football games. I just don’t get how you guys don’t see that we were snookered here. I love Haller. I hope he is outrageously successful. It’s my opinion he got hosed. No big deal. But just own it. Don’t make excuses. We’ve given up a ton. The big ten owes us.

And if they don’t make us square, I’ll be at every home game screaming for us. And my tailgate is always open.

I 100% agree that we need more out of this deal than what the narrative has been (that we're just helping out the conference with the NBC deal).

A home night game with Michigan in the future?

A home Labor Day Weekend Prime Time game with USC? Or UCLA?

Some prime time basketball games on NBC?

Getting paid above and beyond what our normal revenue would be on a football Saturday?

Basically...what's in it for us?

Quid pro quo.

Does Haller have some secret assurances that any of those (or something...anything) will happen? I hope so.

The angle of losing home field advantage is overblown for me. If we can't have that at Ford Field, that's on us. But, we've done a crappy job of promoting the game from that angle (or at all). Like I said before, we should have had a press conference, and made them paint the end zones and midfield (or at minimum somehow created a digital image of that for twitter/instagram/whatever). Control the message. An interview with Jack Ebling is weak sauce. Has Tucker said anything? We could push this a huge sign that we're committed to Detroit (from a recruiting angle). Now we're just doing damage control.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-05-28, 11:36

Not sure there's anything new here (other than a clarification on a 12 team playoff and impact on Thanksgiving weekend games in the future):

Michigan State athletic director Alan Haller expands on decision to move Penn State game to Detroit: 'It was a close call'

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-05-28, 18:52

Yawn.  Someone asked these questions immediately

“As Michigan State basketball's regular season entered its final stretch, Tom Izzo fumed. A February home game against Minnesota, postponed in the aftermath of the deadly mass shooting on MSU’s campus, had yet to be rescheduled. Izzo wanted his Spartans to play the Gophers and lobbied to make it happen. But the Big Ten never set a new date and the matchup with the league's worst basketball team was eventually canceled.”

“I'm frustrated, I'm not gonna lie to you,” Izzo said then. “I'm frustrated with the Big Ten office.”

Only a few months later, the same conference that wouldn’t accommodate Izzo’s reasonable request asked the Spartans to bend to its will and make a huge sacrifice. Revealed Wednesday, the decision to relocate the school’s final home football game against Penn State to primetime on Black Friday at Detroit's Ford Field will help the Big Ten meet the terms of its new television deal with NBC.

But what’s in it for MSU?”

“ A convincing argument can be made that MSU will need to maximize all its advantages to gain bowl eligibility.

Yet, despite the challenges ahead, the Spartans still agreed to move one of its home games off campus as a favor to the Big Ten — and did so even after the league denied cornerback Khary Crump’s appeal for a reduction in a lengthy suspension stemming from his role in the Michigan Stadium tunnel incident last October. It’s hard to imagine some of the league’s most prominent programs making a similar concession. “

Michigan State is bending over again for the big ten.  Pillow biters.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Heat Miser likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-05-28, 19:47

Hmmm.

We had 5 wins (and were fighting for bowl eligibility) at our last home game in 2022.

56,000 attendance (not sure if that means tickets sold or actual butts in seats). How many people were left in the stadium at the end to give us a great home field advantage?

If we're 5-6 heading into the last game this year, that most likely equals:

4-2
CMU W
Richmond W
Washington L
Maryland W
Iowa L
Rutgers W

And then we'll go 1-5 in the next 6 games. Not exactly a huge recipe to hope for home field advantage to beat Penn State.

Not buying that argument.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-05-28, 20:11

Many people have said our payback for this game will be a Prime Time Labor Day Weekend HOME game with USC in 2024.

AND Lee Greenwood will sing at halftime.

AND we'll be selling beer by then.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, DWags and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-05-28, 20:23

See all I want is that. And a home game vs PSU in 2024 And free bud light for the tailgates in my lot. I’m a simple man.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Jake from State Farm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-05-28, 20:33

DWags wrote:See all I want is that. And a home game vs PSU in 2024   And free bud light for the tailgates in my lot. I’m a simple man.  

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-05-28, 21:05

Dearest Wife,

We have entered day five of being upset online about a football game being moved 60 miles away 6 months from now, with no end in sight. The men grow weary, but our cause is just and true. On the other side Generals Heller and Petitti are a formidable force and I must admit there are times when I do not know if we can best them. But nonetheless we must continue the fight. I do not know when I will be able to write again, even now I can see a poster on the Penn state board saying they will attend the game whenst they wouldn’t before because of the improved conditions, which only fuels our lust for victory. Please know that no matter what happens, I have done what I’ve done for you my beloved, and for the local east lansing businesses.

Yours always,

Spartyparty42069

tOfficial 2023 Spartan Football Thread - Page 11 70735
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan, Other Teams Pursuing That, AvgMSUJoe and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-05-28, 21:45

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Dearest Wife,

We have entered day five of being upset online about a football game being moved 60 miles away 6 months from now, with no end in sight. The men grow weary, but our cause is just and true. On the other side Generals Heller and Petitti are a formidable force and I must admit there are times when I do not know if we can best them. But nonetheless we must continue the fight. I do not know when I will be able to write again, even now I can see a poster on the Penn state board saying they will attend the game whenst they wouldn’t before because of the improved conditions, which only fuels our lust for victory. Please know that no matter what happens, I have done what I’ve done for you my beloved, and for the local east lansing businesses.

Yours always,

Spartyparty42069

tOfficial 2023 Spartan Football Thread - Page 11 70735

Awe that is really cute Travis. I saw one like it in the Twitter regarding the battle against clothing manufacturers grooming children at target. Very funny and well done. I’m going to read it again in an hour or so. Thank you.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-05-28, 21:55

It’s very common dwags, but more to the point it may be time to get to the acceptance phase.

And man… pillow biters? I dunno dude that’s a bit sketch. Probably time to take a breath on this.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-05-28, 21:57

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:It’s very common dwags, but more to the point it may be time to get to the acceptance phase.

And man… pillow biters? I dunno dude that’s a bit sketch. Probably time to take a breath on this.

Thanks.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-05-28, 22:43

Haller is the first AD to ever put a college football game in an NFL stadium.

Sincerely,

OTPT
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-05-28, 22:46

DWags wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:It’s very common dwags, but more to the point it may be time to get to the acceptance phase.

Thanks.

You’re welcome. Stop using slurs. Enjoy your mental breakdown though.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-05-28, 23:07

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
DWags wrote:

Thanks.

Lol. Whatevs.  Sorry I’m passionate about this. Guy who wrote that article kind of agrees. I won’t insult you back.  If you think I’m running around kicking dogs about this, well after all these years I’m bummed you really don’t know me. If you think I’ve been to active in this thread, I’m
Only trying to say I think we should step up to the big ten. I’m sorry if you really think I’m having a mental breakdown over this. Especially on a board I think is the best board ever. If you don’t like the thread I get it. But I’m just saying I don’t think we’ve got a good deal here. There’s a ton of people who I think agree.  You can just delete the thread Travis. But again m, know this, I don’t think id ever need to insult you annout this. Sorry if I did.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-05-28, 23:12

DWags wrote:

Lol. Whatevs.  Sorry I’m passionate about this. Guy who wrote that article kind of agrees. I won’t insult you back.  If you think I’m running around kicking dogs about this, well after all these years I’m bummed you really don’t know me. If you think I’ve been to active in this thread, I’m
Only trying to say I think we should step up to the big ten. I’m sorry if you really think I’m having a mental breakdown over this. Especially on a board I think is the best board ever. If you don’t like the thread I get it. But I’m just saying I don’t think we’ve got a good deal here. There’s a ton of people who I think agree.  You can just delete the thread Travis. But again m, know this, I don’t think id ever need to insult you annout this.  Sorry if I did.

Do you know how internet sports message boards work, bro?

tOfficial 2023 Spartan Football Thread - Page 11 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5k3aatpq0slzlutxwqc5sy47jbix5nmrb06eqq6n8&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-05-28, 23:14

Turtleneck wrote:
DWags wrote:

Only trying to say I think we should step up to the big ten. I’m sorry if you really think I’m having a mental breakdown over this. Especially on a board I think is the best board ever. If you don’t like the thread I get it. But I’m just saying I don’t think we’ve got a good deal here. There’s a ton of people who I think agree.  You can just delete the thread Travis. But again m, know this, I don’t think id ever need to insult you annout this.  Sorry if I did.

Do you know how internet sports message boards work, bro?

tOfficial 2023 Spartan Football Thread - Page 11 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5k3aatpq0slzlutxwqc5sy47jbix5nmrb06eqq6n8&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200

This board hits different.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-05-28, 23:23

DWags wrote:

Only trying to say I think we should step up to the big ten. I’m sorry if you really think I’m having a mental breakdown over this. Especially on a board I think is the best board ever. If you don’t like the thread I get it. But I’m just saying I don’t think we’ve got a good deal here. There’s a ton of people who I think agree.  You can just delete the thread Travis. But again m, know this, I don’t think id ever need to insult you annout this. Sorry if I did.

Man I just think you’ve lost some perspective here. This is one of those things that in 5 years you’ll think back and say lol that wasn’t that big of a deal maybe I kinda overblown it… except you won’t do that because you won’t think of it at all. It’ll just be a nothing. A long forgotten thing that happened.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-05-28, 23:28

DWags wrote:

Man I just think you’ve lost some perspective here. This is one of those things that in 5 years you’ll think back and say lol that wasn’t that big of a deal maybe I kinda overblown it… except you won’t do that because you won’t think of it at all. It’ll just be a nothing. A long forgotten thing that happened.

Well there you go. Cool
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-05-29, 08:18

I think it's fair to question what's in it for us, and not just as a (currently) 1/14 split of the TV revenue.

Are Prime Time games in November that profitable from a network's standpoint, that a 1/14 split is worth it? We have one, and OSU added one (they traditionally were opposed to night November games), and Penn State agreed to play on a short week. So, some schools are acting in the best interests of the conference for the greater good.

Supposedly the Big Ten has to pay Fox back some money (or maybe it will just be a credit on future payments?) and the NBC screw up might cost each school $5 million.

Are we in such bad financial shape that playing a night game (or two) is going to benefit us (when we're getting 1/14 of the money)?

For example (hypothetically), if we're out $10 million in TV revenue, does it make sense to do something for the conference that gets us back around $1 million?

All fair questions.

There has to be a payback beyond that in my opinion.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2023-05-29, 09:37

Turtleneck wrote:Haller is the first AD to ever put a college football game in an NFL stadium.

Sincerely,

OTPT

scUM invented night games, Spartans invented college games in NFL stadiums. Nice legacy for us to have.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-05-29, 12:49

Linebacker Darius Snow Designs Alternate Jerseys For Michigan State Football

https://www.si.com/college/michiganstate/football/michigan-state-spartans-football-linebacker-darius-snow-designs-alternate-uniforms-msu-052823

[tw]1661830110868021258?s=20[/tw]
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2023-05-29, 12:56

This is paywalled here and directly on the Freep page, but the headline is attention grabbing.

Michigan State has sacrificed a lot. When is the Big Ten going to return the favor?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2023/05/28/michigan-state-football-penn-state-ford-field-sacrifice/70262882007/?gnt-cfr=1
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 22 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 22  Next