Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mortgage equity plan

+12
DWags
duffy munn
GRR Spartan
Motown Spartan
SmaryAbigail
AvgMSUJoe
Robert J Sakimano
Cameron
Heat Miser
Floyd Robertson
kingstonlake
TravelinMan
16 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Mortgage equity plan Empty Mortgage equity plan

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-26, 10:30

Can anyone explain to me why this is a good thing?

Penalizing people with a credit score of 680 or greater? 680 isn't all that high. The article claims it's 2/3 of the population. In fact, if your score is less than 680, WTF are you even doing buying a house in the first place?!?

Also, didn't anyone learn their lesson in 2008 from pushing mortgages onto financially shaky people? That's what caused the first housing bubble.

It's not like inflation and rising interest rates haven't killed people's ability to afford a mortgage anyway. Now we're adding more fees to them?

Seriously. I don't get it. This seems like stupidity at it's finest. Someone want to edjumakate me as to why I should change my mind?

https://nypost.com/2023/04/24/bidens-mortgage-equity-will-screw-up-the-homebuying-market/
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Mortgage equity plan Empty Re: Mortgage equity plan

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-04-26, 11:03

“When did being credit worthy become a federal crime” lol man when the article you’re linking starts with that maybe it’s time to hit pause and reevaluate what you’re reading before jumping straight into the outrage soup with them. It ends with a conversation about reparations, good lord is that ever dramatic.

But anyway.

“ For example, a buyer with a credit score of 650 putting a 25% down payment on a $400,000 home would now pay 1.5% in fees on the loan, or $4,500. That compares with 2.75%, or $8,250, under the previous fee structure.

Meanwhile, a borrower with a credit score of 750 who puts down 25% on a $400,000 home would now pay 0.375% in fees, or $1,125, compared with 0.250%, or $750, under the previous fee regime.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna81164

Yes, fees for borrowers with better credit scores are going up, You can see the actual fee structure here. I’m not sure that I would really say that 680 is good anyway. It’s fine. It’s not good. Better than that is much lower fees for lower credit scores are going down, but what the fear mongering article fails to mention is that fees are still significantly higher for borrowers with worse credit. I don’t really know if that’s a good idea or not, but breathlessly talking about 2008 is a bit extreme. I don’t think this is all that big a deal.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-26, 11:06

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:“When did being credit worthy become a federal crime” lol man when the article you’re linking starts with that maybe it’s time to hit pause and reevaluate what you’re reading before jumping straight into the outrage soup with them. It ends with a conversation about reparations, good lord is that ever dramatic.

But anyway.

“ For example, a buyer with a credit score of 650 putting a 25% down payment on a $400,000 home would now pay 1.5% in fees on the loan, or $4,500. That compares with 2.75%, or $8,250, under the previous fee structure.

Meanwhile, a borrower with a credit score of 750 who puts down 25% on a $400,000 home would now pay 0.375% in fees, or $1,125, compared with 0.250%, or $750, under the previous fee regime.”

Yes, fees for borrowers with better credit scores are going up, You can see the actual fee structure here. I’m not sure that I would really say that 680 is good anyway. It’s fine. It’s not good. Better than that is much lower fees for lower credit scores are going down, but what the fear mongering article fails to mention is that fees are still significantly higher for borrowers with worse credit. I don’t really know if that’s a good idea or not, but breathlessly talking about 2008 is a bit extreme. I don’t think this is all that big a deal.

LOL.  I looked for an article from a more moderate source, because I just KNEW someone was going to bitch about that.  Am not leaving disappointed.

But regardless.... we're charging people with (not really all that spectacular, but) good credit to subsidize people with bad credit.

WHY is this possibly a good thing?  And how are we not enabling more subprime(ish) borrowers by doing this?  Address the actual plan and not the reporting thereof.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-26, 11:12

Do we really have to relitigate what caused the 2006 - 2008 real estate collapse?

Can we say systemic banking failure caused by a number of weaknesses.

It wasn't primarily lower cost purchased by poor people. Sub-prime mortgages were issued to all sorts of people who were speculating by flipping higher priced properties.

Like it or dislike it Freddy & Fannie are tasked with:

The two firms are bound by their charters to help improve access to affordable mortgage loans. They do this in part by using the “cross-subsidization” model, in which some borrowers are charged slightly more for loans while others are charged less.

Overall, lower-credit buyers will still pay more in LLPA fees than high-credit buyers – but the latest changes will close the gap.

The resulting mortgages will be monetized into bonds on the market, so the real question will be the mix of higher risk mortgages verses low risk mortgages put into those bonds, and how those bonds are protected via credit swaps, getting into some of the reasons for the 2006 - 2008 crash.

btw - The "Post" is a Murdock owned rag so based on what we know about how he pushed lies in all his media outlets you probably should find a better source. Not saying that some of what is in the article isn't true but can absolutely say it is written to wind up people who are unaware of how propaganda writing does that to them.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-04-26, 11:12

TravelinMan wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:“When did being credit worthy become a federal crime” lol man when the article you’re linking starts with that maybe it’s time to hit pause and reevaluate what you’re reading before jumping straight into the outrage soup with them. It ends with a conversation about reparations, good lord is that ever dramatic.

But anyway.

LOL.  I looked for an article from a more moderate source, because I just KNEW someone was going to bitch about that.  Am not leaving disappointed.

But regardless.... we're charging people with (not really all that spectacular, but) good credit to subsidize people with bad credit.

WHY is this possibly a good thing?  And how are we not enabling more subprime(ish) borrowers by doing this?  Address the actual plan and not the reporting thereof.

Knowing that the article in front of you is designed to make you mad is half the battle. The other half is not saying fuck it and reading it so you get mad anyway.

I did address that though if you read the rest of what I posted instead of imagining what I posted in your head and responding to that.

We’re still charging people with lower credit significantly more than people with average credit. We’re charging them significantly significantly more than people with actually good credit. Those margins were narrowed a bit. That’s all.

Is it a good idea? I dunno. Maybe. Maybe not. But I don’t think it’s worth working yourself in a tizzy over.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-04-26, 11:12

If you can afford an extra $375 on a $400,000 home….

WTF are you even doing buying a house in the first place?!?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-26, 11:17

TravelinMan wrote:

But anyway.

You didn't even follow the links in the Post article to another Post article which I quoted from in my first post.

https://nypost.com/2023/04/16/how-the-us-is-subsidizing-high-risk-homebuyers-at-the-cost-of-those-with-good-credit/

I'm all for charging everyone the same fees, but CRT and White Privilege often undermine those ideas. As noted by others, and by The Post, the buyers with lower credit scores are still paying more both as a percentage and in real dollars than those with higher credit scores, so if you want to bitch about inequality you've got your bitching point backwards.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-26, 11:33

My credit score is 840. I've worked very hard (or, if you're Trapper Gus, I've been very lucky) to make it so. And now I'm going to have to pay additional fees? To subsidize Poors and their gross little shanties that they'll likely default on anyway?!? That's ridiculous. And the only arguments you have is "Well, it's not that big of deal and your source is bullshit?"

You're right. I'm probably not buying another house in my lifetime. I've got my guns, I've got my ICE vehicles, and I've got my houses. Go ahead and legislate whatever you want. I'll be up here in the mountains communing with the moose.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2023-04-26, 11:36

To use D Wag's favorite term "optics", the optics on this are fucked up. The logic is fucked up. How about lenders kick in the adjustment instead. They can make it up from the the thousands of people they are going to lay off as AI automates their jobs away.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

TravelinMan and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-26, 11:39

TravelinMan wrote:My credit score is 840.  I've worked very hard (or, if you're Trapper Gus, I've been very lucky) to make it so.  And now I'm going to have to pay additional fees?  To subsidize Poors and their gross little shanties that they'll likely default on anyway?!?  That's ridiculous.  And the only arguments you have is "Well, it's not that big of deal and your source is bullshit?"

You're right.  I'm probably not buying another house in my lifetime.  I've got my guns, I've got my ICE vehicles, and I've got my houses.  Go ahead and legislate whatever you want.  I'll be up here in the mountains communing with the moose.

Just because you have worked hard does not preclude that you were lucky, too.

As pointed out by Travis, the lower credit scored buyers are paying more than you are in fees, thus they are subsidizing you, not you them. (You are making me think that you are exactly the weak-minded idiot that Murdock is trying to peddle lies to.)  I get that a libertarian would say that the fees should be equal, but you are not saying that at all.  You are bitching because the fees are more equal that they used to be.

edit - I had to ask the SO to know, but our credit score is excellent, also, I have never worked hard at all.

Last edited by Trapper Gus on 2023-04-26, 11:44; edited 1 time in total
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-04-26, 11:41

TravelinMan wrote:My credit score is 840. I've worked very hard (or, if you're Trapper Gus, I've been very lucky) to make it so. And now I'm going to have to pay additional fees? To subsidize Poors and their gross little shanties that they'll likely default on anyway?!? That's ridiculous. And the only arguments you have is "Well, it's not that big of deal and your source is bullshit?"

You're right. I'm probably not buying another house in my lifetime. I've got my guns, I've got my ICE vehicles, and I've got my houses. Go ahead and legislate whatever you want. I'll be up here in the mountains communing with the moose.
TravelinMan wrote:My credit score is 840. I've worked very hard (or, if you're Trapper Gus, I've been very lucky) to make it so. And now I'm going to have to pay additional fees? To subsidize Poors and their gross little shanties that they'll likely default on anyway?!? That's ridiculous. And the only arguments you have is "Well, it's not that big of deal and your source is bullshit?"

Actually, no. Because you continue to fail to read and just want to be mad, with your credit score, depending on the circumstance of the mortgage you’re not getting this year anyway, you will either be paying the same or less than you would have previously. So, I dunno man keep being mad I guess.

Here’s the link to the old schedule that you won’t read. The new schedule is above

https://singlefamily.fanniemae.com/media/9391/display
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-26, 11:41

Trapper Gus wrote:

As pointed out by Travis, the lower credit scored buyers are paying more than you are in fees, thus they are subsidizing you, not you them. (You are making me think that you are exactly the weak-minded idiot that Murdock is trying to peddle lies to.) I get that a libertarian would say that the fees should be equal, but you are not saying that at all. You are bitching because the fees are more equal that they used to be.

The Poors SHOULD pay more in fees, because they are a higher credit risk.

Forcing people with good credit to subsidize those with bad credit is bullshit, regardless of the overall fee cost totals.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-04-26, 11:45

I just don’t think it’s a big deal. Do I like higher fees? Not generally. Do I like that my internet provider gives lower income households a better deal than me and probably results in my rate being .005% higher. Not really.

Think of it this way. When all these poors default you’ll have corporate entities buy up homes in droves and we’ll be that much closer to payroll deductions to pay for the house you’re buying supplied by the company you work for….
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Dendrobates and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-26, 11:57

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

As pointed out by Travis, the lower credit scored buyers are paying more than you are in fees, thus they are subsidizing you, not you them. (You are making me think that you are exactly the weak-minded idiot that Murdock is trying to peddle lies to.) I get that a libertarian would say that the fees should be equal, but you are not saying that at all. You are bitching because the fees are more equal that they used to be.

Forcing people with good credit to subsidize those with bad credit is bullshit, regardless of the overall fee cost totals.

You might think that the credit score is a measure of risk the lender is incuring, that doesn't seem all that defendable even on a statitical basis given that:

The pie chart shown above shows a breakdown of the approximate value that each aspect of your credit report adds to your score:

Your payment history: 35%
Amounts you owe (your credit utilization ratio): 30%
Length of your credit history: 15%
Types of credit used (your credit mix): 10%
New credit: 10%

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/how-your-credit-score-is-calculated-1797900

Furthermore, on an individual basis this breaks down entirely, as data sets always have outliers.

So, your assertion is questionable at best and all wrong at worst.

The fees charged are probably mostly profit for the lender, as the lender is going to turn the mortgage into a monetized investment instrument and sell it, putting the risks on the buyers of those monetarized mortgages and keeping the fees in the lender's pockets.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-04-26, 12:02

Sweet little baby Jesus stop calling a 680 credit score good. It’s average. The article you read to get you worked up called it good so that it could make you mad. It’s not.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

TravelinMan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-26, 12:07

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Sweet little baby Jesus stop calling a 680 credit score good. It’s average. The article you read to get you worked up called it good so that it could make you mad. It’s not.

I couldn't agree with you more, and said as much in my OP. In fact, if you believe the statistics that this represents 2/3 of the population, it's technically BELOW average.

Last edited by TravelinMan on 2023-04-26, 12:10; edited 1 time in total
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-26, 12:09

Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

You might think that the credit score is a measure of risk the lender is incuring, that doesn't seem all that defendable even on a statitical basis given that:

The pie chart shown above shows a breakdown of the approximate value that each aspect of your credit report adds to your score:

Your payment history: 35%
Amounts you owe (your credit utilization ratio): 30%
Length of your credit history: 15%
Types of credit used (your credit mix): 10%
New credit: 10%

Furthermore, on an individual basis this breaks down entirely, as data sets always have outliers.

The fees charged are probably mostly profit for the lender, as the lender is going to turn the mortgage into a monetized investment instrument and sell it, putting the risks on the buyers of those monetarized mortgages and keeping the fees in the lender's pockets.

So one of the major factors that JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, and hundreds of other lenders use to determine credit worthiness is wrong in your opinion? Wow. Who am I to believe here? So confusing.

I mean, I can see where factors like "Do you have a history of paying things off?" "Are you up to your eyeballs in debt already?" and "How long have you been doing the right things?" are clearly bullshit questions.

LOL. Is there no liberal platform you won't twist yourself into a pretzel to defend? My god, man.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-04-26, 12:11

Subsidy is a way of life. Get over it. You think it's profitable to run infrastructure to suburbs? And the mountains where folks commune with the moose? It's not. It's subsidized by us folks living in cities where it's much cheaper to provide water/sewage/electricity/cell service/internet/etc. Yet we all pay similar amounts for these services. Grizzly Adams and friends should be paying 10x what I pay for this shit, but that's not how it works.

Another word for this is socialism. It's all around you. Sometimes you benefit from it. Other times you don't. That's what happens when resources are pooled for the good of all.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Cameron, InTenSity, Dendrobates, gomersbro and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-26, 12:11

TravelinMan wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Sweet little baby Jesus stop calling a 680 credit score good. It’s average. The article you read to get you worked up called it good so that it could make you mad. It’s not.

I couldn't agree with you more, and said as much in my OP.

The assumption that credit score and income are related is flat out wrong.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-26, 12:28

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

So one of the major factors that JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, and hundreds of other lenders use to determine credit worthiness is wrong in your opinion? Wow. Who am I to believe here? So confusing.

I mean, I can see where factors like "Do you have a history of paying things off?" "Are you up to your eyeballs in debt already?" and "How long have you been doing the right things?" are clearly bullshit questions.

LOL. Is there no liberal platform you won't twist yourself into a pretzel to defend? My god, man.

The credit scoring system was invented by a bunch of bureaucratic "Trappers" (people who like to play with numbers) probably modified buy a bunch of people who wanted their way of life to be on top. It's correlation with actual people paying on actual loans is nowhere near 100%. If they are lucky, it is above 50%, but since it is established and everyone uses it people don't question it, much. No Bank employee will be fired for following it, but that is about as much creditability as it has for an individual loan.

The banks you are naming do not hold onto the loans they make.

They bundle them into usually mortgage bonds which are sold to investors. They proved, back in 2008, that they really don't care what the credit scores are, as they were making loans to lots of wealthy people who were taking out sub-prime loans, and who then defaulted.

Mostly, at the retail level, they are a sales gimmick, trying to lure people in with lower fees, which are mostly profit for the original lender, and could easily be covered by the interest on the loans.

It is odd that you think that people with a higher credit rating should pay less, as, if you even believed that these fees cover loan defaults, which they clearly don't, aka 2008, but that is one way that our system justifies shitting on the poor to make more profits.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-04-26, 12:30

Heat Miser wrote:Subsidy is a way of life. Get over it. You think it's profitable to run infrastructure to suburbs? And the mountains where folks commune with the moose? It's not. It's subsidized by us folks living in cities where it's much cheaper to provide water/sewage/electricity/cell service/internet/etc. Yet we all pay similar amounts for these services. Grizzly Adams and friends should be paying 10x what I pay for this shit, but that's not how it works.

Another word for this is socialism. It's all around you. Sometimes you benefit from it. Other times you don't. That's what happens when resources are pooled for the good of all.

This thread has been humanly euthanized. Mortgage equity plan 1486952199
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-26, 12:38

Heat Miser wrote:Subsidy is a way of life. Get over it. You think it's profitable to run infrastructure to suburbs? And the mountains where folks commune with the moose? It's not. It's subsidized by us folks living in cities where it's much cheaper to provide water/sewage/electricity/cell service/internet/etc. Yet we all pay similar amounts for these services. Grizzly Adams and friends should be paying 10x what I pay for this shit, but that's not how it works.

This pretty much destroys all the arguments that the ultimate and only measure of "the good" is at the level of one person.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-26, 14:35

Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

The credit scoring system was invented by a bunch of bureaucratic "Trappers" (people who like to play with numbers) probably modified buy a bunch of people who wanted their way of life to be on top. It's correlation with actual people paying on actual loans is nowhere near 100%. If they are lucky, it is above 50%, but since it is established and everyone uses it people don't question it, much. No Bank employee will be fired for following it, but that is about as much creditability as it has for an individual loan.

They bundle them into usually mortgage bonds which are sold to investors. They proved, back in 2008, that they really don't care what the credit scores are, as they were making loans to lots of wealthy people who were taking out sub-prime loans, and who then defaulted.

Mostly, at the retail level, they are a sales gimmick, trying to lure people in with lower fees, which are mostly profit for the original lender, and could easily be covered by the interest on the loans.

It is odd that you think that people with a higher credit rating should pay less, as, if you even believed that these fees cover loan defaults, which they clearly don't, aka 2008, but that is one way that our system justifies shitting on the poor to make more profits.

Hmm. I currently have two separate mortgages with Chase, and they've held them cumulatively for almost 19 years.

I think what you meant to say was that those banks don't hold on to loans from people without good credit.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-04-26, 14:52

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

So one of the major factors that JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, and hundreds of other lenders use to determine credit worthiness is wrong in your opinion?  Wow.  Who am I to believe here?  So confusing.

I mean, I can see where factors like "Do you have a history of paying things off?"  "Are you up to your eyeballs in debt already?" and "How long have you been doing the right things?" are clearly bullshit questions.

LOL.  Is there no liberal platform you won't twist yourself into a pretzel to defend?  My god, man.  

The credit scoring system was invented by a bunch of bureaucratic "Trappers" (people who like to play with numbers) probably modified buy a bunch of people who wanted their way of life to be on top.  It's correlation with actual people paying on actual loans is nowhere near 100%.  If they are lucky, it is above 50%, but since it is established and everyone uses it people don't question it, much.  No Bank employee will be fired for following it, but that is about as much creditability as it has for an individual loan.

They bundle them into usually mortgage bonds which are sold to investors.  They proved, back in 2008, that they really don't care what the credit scores are, as they were making loans to lots of wealthy people who were taking out sub-prime loans, and who then defaulted.

Hmm.  I currently have two separate mortgages with Chase, and they've held them cumulatively for almost 19 years.  

I think what you meant to say was that those banks don't hold on to loans from people without good credit.

My credit rating is around 830 and I've never been late with a payment. My mortgage has been sold multiple times. Doesn't mean shit.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-26, 14:54

Heat Miser wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

Hmm.  I currently have two separate mortgages with Chase, and they've held them cumulatively for almost 19 years.  

My credit rating is around 830 and I've never been late with a payment. My mortgage has been sold multiple times. Doesn't mean shit.

So sometimes banks hold on to mortgages and sometimes they don't. This is contrary to Trapper's assertion.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-04-26, 15:02

This thread has me thinking. Are senior discounts, senior coffee, and early bird specials being subsidized by my full price dinner?

WHY am I being punished for not being old as fuck.

Mortgage equity plan 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5c3nu4f1ick8dme6ucmgcr3bnbthc3e4jneirld3h&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and Dendrobates like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-04-26, 15:17

TravelinMan wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:
TravelinMan wrote:

So sometimes banks hold on to mortgages and sometimes they don't. This is contrary to Trapper's assertion.

I think there is some confusion as to how it works. Banks don't actually sell the mortgages as a bond bundle. Somebody still has to actually service the loans. Bondholders don't do that shit. Banks are just selling bonds that have the rights to the cash flow from the bundle of mortgages. It's a mortgage backed security.

The slippery slope there is that the bank has now gained additional liquidity from the sale of the bonds. That liquidity can be used to issue more mortgages. Rinse. Repeat. But if that liquidity is used to buy mortgage backed securities that ultimately fail, then you start to understand why 2008 happened. Mortgage backed securities were sold and resold over an over, causing a cascading effect when some of them started to fail.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2023-04-26, 15:22

kingstonlake wrote:This thread has me thinking. Are senior discounts, senior coffee, and early bird specials being subsidized by my full price dinner?

WHY am I being punished for not being old as fuck.

Mortgage equity plan 200.gif?cid=ddb306a5c3nu4f1ick8dme6ucmgcr3bnbthc3e4jneirld3h&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=200

The short answer is yes. If you don't have children, you're also subsidizing people who do. If you do have children, you're the beneficiary of those subsidies. The easiest example is property taxes that pay for schools. If you don't have school aged children, why the fuck should you have to pay the same % property tax as those who do??? The answer of course is because educating all children is a benefit to everyone in a civilized society.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Cameron and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-04-26, 17:17

TravelinMan wrote:My credit score is 840.  I've worked very hard (or, if you're Trapper Gus, I've been very lucky) to make it so.  And now I'm going to have to pay additional fees?  To subsidize Poors and their gross little shanties that they'll likely default on anyway?!?  That's ridiculous.  And the only arguments you have is "Well, it's not that big of deal and your source is bullshit?"

You're right.  I'm probably not buying another house in my lifetime.  I've got my guns, I've got my ICE vehicles, and I've got my houses.  Go ahead and legislate whatever you want.  I'll be up here in the mountains communing with the moose.

I imagine that your tongue was somewhat in your cheek for that bolded sentence, but on the whole, you seem pretty sincere about this, so it comes across as... kinda gross.

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

As pointed out by Travis, the lower credit scored buyers are paying more than you are in fees, thus they are subsidizing you, not you them. (You are making me think that you are exactly the weak-minded idiot that Murdock is trying to peddle lies to.)  I get that a libertarian would say that the fees should be equal, but you are not saying that at all.  You are bitching because the fees are more equal that they used to be.

This proposition makes sense in the abstract. In actuality, I feel like it contributes to a vicious, self-perpetuating cycle. People with less money are charged fees for shit people with more money get for free. My credit union charges a fee to cash checks if you have less than $250 in your account (I think that's the number, but whatever it is precisely is not really important). I believe the fee is $5. For someone with plenty of money, that $5 would go entirely unnoticed, yet they aren't charged. Someone with less than $250 in their account will certainly notice the $5, and they are being charged a fee for a service someone with more money (and accordingly more ability to pay said fee) is getting for free. I struggle not to view that as an absolutely psychotic and ass-backwards way of organizing things.

To be clear, I'm not a moron, and I understand the way a credit union functions by investing the deposits to generate a return, so accounts with low/no balance do not allow the credit union to invest any funds, and therefore a fee helps to cover costs. But, frankly, I am deeply okay with larger accounts effectively subsidizing the smaller accounts so that low income people can have access to some limited financial services that might otherwise be beyond their reach. If you oppose this, I would struggle not to view you as a sociopathic wanker.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Heat Miser, Travis of the Cosmos, TravelinMan and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-04-26, 19:40

Mortgage equity plan 502811600

(Sorry. You know how much I love that phrase).
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-04-26, 20:13

Tldr

Feels like an unintended consequence of this would be the bank just not making as many loans to lower scores.

(Over 800, not sure where... don't plan on mortgaging anytime soon)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-26, 21:15

TravelinMan wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

Hmm. I currently have two separate mortgages with Chase, and they've held them cumulatively for almost 19 years.

Are you sure about who actually owns them. My credit union serviced my loan, meaning I paid them, but the actual owners of the monetized debt were other people.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-26, 21:21

TravelinMan wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Maybe there are banks that hold onto mortgages, but I doubt it. There is more money in it for the banks to bundle the loans into bonds and sell those bonds. BTW the "safer" mortgages are bundled into those bonds to increase the bond ratings.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-26, 21:24

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Tldr

Feels like an unintended consequence of this would be the bank just not making as many loans to lower scores.

(Over 800, not sure where... don't plan on mortgaging anytime soon)

The bank will loan out every dollar it can, based on the reserve requirements of the Fed.  Every dollar not on loan is lost revenue.

Banks look at these numbers every day, at least according to a banking expert I worked with a few years ago.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-27, 11:10

Cameron wrote:

I imagine that your tongue was somewhat in your cheek for that bolded sentence, but on the whole, you seem pretty sincere about this, so it comes across as... kinda gross.

TravelinMan wrote:

This proposition makes sense in the abstract. In actuality, I feel like it contributes to a vicious, self-perpetuating cycle. People with less money are charged fees for shit people with more money get for free. My credit union charges a fee to cash checks if you have less than $250 in your account (I think that's the number, but whatever it is precisely is not really important). I believe the fee is $5. For someone with plenty of money, that $5 would go entirely unnoticed, yet they aren't charged. Someone with less than $250 in their account will certainly notice the $5, and they are being charged a fee for a service someone with more money (and accordingly more ability to pay said fee) is getting for free. I struggle not to view that as an absolutely psychotic and ass-backwards way of organizing things.

To be clear, I'm not a moron, and I understand the way a credit union functions by investing the deposits to generate a return, so accounts with low/no balance do not allow the credit union to invest any funds, and therefore a fee helps to cover costs. But, frankly, I am deeply okay with larger accounts effectively subsidizing the smaller accounts so that low income people can have access to some limited financial services that might otherwise be beyond their reach. If you oppose this, I would struggle not to view you as a sociopathic wanker.

I don't think there's any doubt that I'm a bit of a sociopath. Not a serial killer type, but I have tendencies.

That being said, I'm very impressed in the number of you that (in theory at least) are willing to subsidize the Poor's mortgages. When I grew up, we were told that if you paid your bills, saved your money, and didn't do stupid things, that you would be rewarded. Now, if you do those things, you earn the opportunity to help pay for the people who didn't do those things. I applaud those who find virtue in this, but I don't.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-04-27, 11:26

No offense but that makes you uniquely un-American and Christian. Not that you personally subscribe to be either. I’m just noting what I’m told this country and the Bible recognize as something that’s important with regards to poorer people. Unless it’s changed to “fuck them”. If it has, my apologies.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-27, 11:36

kingstonlake wrote:No offense but that makes you uniquely un-American and Christian. Not that you personally subscribe to be either. I’m just noting what I’m told this country and the Bible recognize as something that’s important with regards to poorer people. Unless it’s changed to “fuck them”. If it has, my apologies.

I strongly believe in charity. I don't believe in the government forcing outcomes.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-04-27, 11:55

kingstonlake wrote:No offense but that makes you uniquely un-American and Christian. Not that you personally subscribe to be either. I’m just noting what I’m told this country and the Bible recognize as something that’s important with regards to poorer people. Unless it’s changed to “fuck them”. If it has, my apologies.
I'm not going to read this thread 'cause I don't understand the big words..

but I've often thought that if you need religion to be nice to folks, you lack compassion and empathy. Not the presence of some bearded guy in the sky.

that said, we absolutely need a government-funded safety net for folks. I'd much rather folks who need a helping hand rely on government vs. relying on christians who support an avowed rapist, misogynist, racist bigoted just because he, like them, is a christian and hates the same people as they do.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by TravelinMan 2023-04-27, 12:02

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

but I've often thought that if you need religion to be nice to folks, you lack compassion and empathy. Not the presence of some bearded guy in the sky.

that said, we absolutely need a government-funded safety net for folks. I'd much rather folks who need a helping hand rely on government vs. relying on christians who support an avowed rapist, misogynist, racist bigoted just because he, like them, is a christian and hates the same people as they do.

Subsidizing people's mortgages is now considered part of the social safety net?!? Peeps be getting soft.
TravelinMan
TravelinMan
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-04-27, 12:20

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

As someone who has a passing knowledge of how well using private charity worked, or even local tax funded charity, before we had federal programs, the problem with believing in private charity as the solution is history shows us it doesn't work.

We can also look at the canard of "the poor don't work hard", which in general is just an outright lie.

An education in economics will also show that market based wages with the current economic belief system will always drop to the lowest possible level, which, btw, is one reason we have a minimum wage.  Thus, hard work is not the general solution for low wages.  The issue is that in general the labor all the low wage earners do it critical for the economy to function, thus it should pay what is called a living wage, but it doesn't.

Therefore the wages of the poor must be augmented from the rest of the economy, to replace the value of their labor that a market based wage system does not pay.

Even then, the rant that started this thread, regarding fees on mortgages, only reduces the inequalities, but does not make the fees even equal, let along tilting them   in the poors' favor.  We do much more with EIC in the tax system, which is a good thing, and with other programs such as subsidizing Obama care.

edit - until the OPPer understands that mortgage fees are really just added profit in the chain of mortgage providers, he will continue to believe that his fees are subsidizing the poor, when his fees and the poors' fees are just increasing the income of the wealthy.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next