Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help me plan some Pure Michigan vacations this summer

+26
Snake Plissken
Rodeo Burger
AvgMSUJoe
Herbie Green
Rosy
Rocinante
I.B. Fine
Mentalstate
Bill Cain
Death Roe
Cosmo_Kramer
Ass Dan
SeeRockCity
By-Tor
Giant Moose
tTito
GRR Spartan
DroppedByADime
tanfan!
Robert J Sakimano
LoneWolfSparty
tTy
WBill
The Pantry
NigelUno
WhiteBoyHatcher
30 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Help me plan some Pure Michigan vacations this summer Empty Help me plan some Pure Michigan vacations this summer

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:00 pm

I want to do some things this summer with the kids (18 mos and almost 5) in the State.

I am thinking about a beach weekend, but I am extremely unfamiliar with the west side of the State. Anyone have a good recommendation for town and accommodations for a couple with 2 young kids? I'd be throwing a dart.

Up North I am thinking I would like to work in Mackinac Island and perhaps the SB Dunes. I haven't been to the dunes in the summer since I was a kid. That would be fun for them to run around, right? We can probably day trip to those places from the cottage (just East of TC).

What are some cool things to do at those places for little kids?

Someone here (Nommad maybe?) mentioned the air museum in Kzoo. I looked it up and it actually looks like the kids would have a blast there. Good spot for a day trip or do I need more time?

Any other ideas outside of the Metro area?

TIA.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Help me plan some Pure Michigan vacations this summer Empty Re: Help me plan some Pure Michigan vacations this summer

Post by Snake Plissken Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:27 pm

http://www.binderparkzoo.org/
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Help me plan some Pure Michigan vacations this summer Empty Re: Help me plan some Pure Michigan vacations this summer

Post by NigelUno Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:15 pm

Taking an 18 month old to Mackinac Island on a day trip from TC?

No.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:23 pm

::shrug::

It's half the time it takes to get up north.

Chance we could leave her with MIL if she comes up, too, but shouldn't be too tough to pull off if not.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:24 pm

Love this place near Sleeping Bear.  Many options

The Homestead
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:56 pm

Be careful of vehicles with these decals, its some sort of satanic cult.

Help me plan some Pure Michigan vacations this summer 70px-M-22.svg
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:02 am

Man, if you only knew a dude who lived in TC who also had two young kids, and access to a couple of boats and assorted feishin equipment which most people just dream about, and knowledge of the area and shit and fun places to go and whatnot and pretty much anything else you could imagine.

#IfOnly
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:54 am

You have a cottage in TC and you have to ask this??
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:59 am

grab some khakis, a flowery shirt, golf clubs, pack up the SUV, the latest album by Jack Johnson and head to the beach.. make sure to document the outing on Instagram and Facebook.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:02 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I want to do some things this summer with the kids (18 mos and almost 5) in the State.

I am thinking about a beach weekend, but I am extremely unfamiliar with the west side of the State. Anyone have a good recommendation for town and accommodations for a couple with 2 young kids? I'd be throwing a dart.

Up North I am thinking I would like to work in Mackinac Island and perhaps the SB Dunes. I haven't been to the dunes in the summer since I was a kid. That would be fun for them to run around, right? We can probably day trip to those places from the cottage (just East of TC).

Someone here (Nommad maybe?) mentioned the air museum in Kzoo. I looked it up and it actually looks like the kids would have a blast there. Good spot for a day trip or do I need more time?

Your kids aren't going to remember a thing, so you might as well do something you want to do, like travel by airplane to Orlando and go to Disney World. I love it when parents do that. I mean, the whole plane is loaded with screaming crying kids and white trash women who are basically forcing their kids to travel so THEY can enjoy Disney under the false guise that it's a trip for the children. The selfishness of these idiots who make travel by air absolutely horrible makes me want to puke when I see their morbidly obese bodies and husbands in toe. Kids don't remember shit until they are 7 and above. So, do what you want to do. Go to the cottage so the crying 18 month year old can cry away from everyone else and take your boat out on Torch Lake and enjoy the solitude. When the kids get older, then plan something they will remember.  Help me plan some Pure Michigan vacations this summer 1811933421 
TIA.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:03 am

tTy wrote:Man, if you only knew a dude who lived in TC who also had two young kids, and access to a couple of boats and assorted feishin equipment which most people just dream about, and knowledge of the area and shit and fun places to go and whatnot and pretty much anything else you could imagine.  

#IfOnly

He just wanted to brag about his cottage in TC, bro. Now go fetch me a turtle.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:04 am

I'd recommend Elk Lake for Harbor Days-- but I don't want to see those ill-shaped burned up dawgs up there

Last edited by DroppedByADime on Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:07 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : iPhone sucks)
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:43 am

Oval Beach in Saugatuck is great and the kids will like it too.

Up north its hard to beat Sleeping Bear Dunes.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTy Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:50 am

"Just East of TC" is evidently code for "...drive to fucking Kalkaska and keep going east for about a half hour, after you stop seeing people and cars for about 10 minutes, keep going for another 5 minutes or so and then you are only 15 more minutes away from my cottage"
tTy
tTy
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:52 am

http://www.grandhaven.org/recreation/calendar-of-events/
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:59 am

Have you ever been to the U.P.? If not, maybe the Soo Locks? It's not that far from Traverse City, and the kids might like the boat tour that goes through the locks especially if one of the big freighters is coming through.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:20 am

WBH- Im vouching for Boyne Mountain. Rent something on property either through them or vrbo. At the ski base you have a couple of regular pools, couple of bars, pizza joint, lawn games, chairlift rides, ziplining, kid shops and the indoor waterpark- Avalanche Bay. At the back of the property by the golf clubhouse you have an awesome kid friendly beach on the lake with a restaurant and patio, a tiki bar hut on the beach and some free putt putt on real grass. You can rent paddle boats and jet skis i think too back there. Very chill scene. Music on the weekends, milfs, etc. Bring your bikes too if you do stuff like that. A short 5-10 min drive from the beach is Boyne City which is right on Lake Charlevoix. Typical up north lake town. Shops, parks, ice cream, restaurants, festivals, etc. 15 minutes north of Boyne Mt is Petoskey. See Boyne City but bigger.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:59 pm

tTy wrote:Man, if you only knew a dude who lived in TC who also had two young kids, and access to a couple of boats and assorted feishin equipment which most people just dream about, and knowledge of the area and shit and fun places to go and whatnot and pretty much anything else you could imagine.  

#IfOnly

You forgot to mention the free beer. Should have been first on the list IMO.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:00 pm

Mystery spot!
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:33 pm

A 5 year old and an 18 month old should love a water park.

I would advise against a trip to Mackinac Island or the Soo Locks with kids that age.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:32 pm

tTito wrote:http://www.grandhaven.org/recreation/calendar-of-events/

Bump
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:38 pm

Ditch the kids and go to Torch Lake for 4th of July to see some hot young broads
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:46 pm

1. Some good info from a couple people. Thanks GRR, tTito, and By-TOR.
2. Thanks as always to my buddy tTy and we def will have to try to meet up with the tykes when we're up there this summer. But I ain't lookin' to go feishin. I specifically want to take a weekend to a lower west side beach town (Saugatuck, Grand Haven, New Haven, etc) because I've never been there.
3. I also specifically want to do another day trip to the Dunes or Mackinac. Wondering if that would be interesting enough for young kids because I haven't been to either in awhile.
4. Did Disney last year with the kids (free week in the inlaws timeshare). My almost 4 year old at the time had a blast and talks about it almost every day. The baby is mostly a doll who made friends on the plane. Don't regret it for a second.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:47 pm

5. Time to start the smoker. 2 fresh yard birds to cook.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:51 pm

Cosmo_Kramer wrote:Ditch the kids and go to Torch Lake for 4th of July to see some hot young broads

He should ditch the wife in that case too.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:54 pm

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

He should ditch the wife in that case too.

I'd be ok with this plan, as well.

My WhiteBoyHatcherapalooza weekend up there is planned for the 2nd weekend in August.  cheers cheers 
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:42 pm

Gonna go to Saugatuck to hang with your butt buddy, bro?
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:43 pm

Death Roe wrote:Gonna go to Saugatuck to hang with your butt buddy, bro?

Do you want to come? We could bunk together.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cain Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:57 pm

The entire Little Traverse Bay Area is worth mentioning.
Bill Cain
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Mentalstate Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:58 am

I'll be on Itermediate Lake starting Saturday. All are invited as long as none come.
Mentalstate
Mentalstate
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:47 am

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:1. Some good info from a couple people. Thanks GRR, tTito, and By-TOR.
2. Thanks as always to my buddy tTy and we def will have to try to meet up with the tykes when we're up there this summer. But I ain't lookin' to go feishin. I specifically want to take a weekend to a lower west side beach town (Saugatuck, Grand Haven, New Haven, etc) because I've never been there.
3. I also specifically want to do another day trip to the Dunes or Mackinac. Wondering if that would be interesting enough for young kids because I haven't been to either in awhile.
4. Did Disney last year with the kids (free week in the inlaws timeshare). My almost 4 year old at the time had a blast and talks about it almost every day. The baby is mostly a doll who made friends on the plane. Don't regret it for a second.

I don't believe a word of this with respect to number 4. It's all justification for the wife convincing you to waste your hard earned money flying down to Orlando so she can fulfill her fantasy of a Disney vacation. You hated every minute you were at the Park: boiling heat, morbidly obese midwesterners with sugar counts in the 200s looking for the next McDonalds, standing in line for an hour for 30 seconds of nothing as you checked out the few teenage asses that were not the size of buick electra 225s. Meanwhile, your screaming kid ruined it for all the other passengers on the plane, but dammit I am going to take my kid to Disney anyway. Screw it.  Help me plan some Pure Michigan vacations this summer 502811600 
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:51 am

It's all layed out for you here

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com/t1822-michigan-beer-tour-suggestions

The wife and kids will love it.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:53 am

Tanfan! wrote:

I don't believe a word of this with respect to number 4.  It's all justification for the wife convincing you to waste your hard earned money flying down to Orlando so she can fulfill her fantasy of a Disney vacation.  You hated every minute you were at the Park: boiling heat, morbidly obese midwesterners with sugar counts in the 200s looking for the next McDonalds, standing in line for an hour for 30 seconds of nothing as you checked out the few teenage asses that were not the size of buick electra 225s. Meanwhile, your screaming kid ruined it for all the other passengers on the plane, but dammit I am going to take my kid to Disney anyway.  Screw it.  Help me plan some Pure Michigan vacations this summer 502811600 

Disney can be fun (in an almost cult-like fashion) for some families. The best time we had was always hanging out at the pool though.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:04 am

Tanfan! wrote:

I don't believe a word of this with respect to number 4.  It's all justification for the wife convincing you to waste your hard earned money flying down to Orlando so she can fulfill her fantasy of a Disney vacation.  You hated every minute you were at the Park: boiling heat, morbidly obese midwesterners with sugar counts in the 200s looking for the next McDonalds, standing in line for an hour for 30 seconds of nothing as you checked out the few teenage asses that were not the size of buick electra 225s. Meanwhile, your screaming kid ruined it for all the other passengers on the plane, but dammit I am going to take my kid to Disney anyway.  Screw it.  Help me plan some Pure Michigan vacations this summer 502811600 

I just got back from exactly this with the family. Hot, crowded and magically expensive. The only part I actually enjoyed was Blizzard Bitch, and the brief time spent on the roller coasters.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:05 pm

tTito wrote:

I just got back from exactly this with the family. Hot, crowded and magically expensive. The only part I actually enjoyed was Blizzard Bitch, and the brief time spent on the roller coasters.

As you waited in line at the Magic Kingdom for an hour or more to see some teenager dressed up on in a costume so your kid could get its autograph, I bet you thought, I hate me life right now! After that horrible experience, you chug along with millions of people crammed into the over filled park banging your stroller into the legs of the fat ass who decided to stop right in front of you and look at her map. Your kid, who is hot and tired starts whining and all you want to do is leave and go back to the hotel room, away from all those smelly people who invaded your space for 8 plus hours. Let's fly down to disney!!! There isn't a dude on the planet who, after experiencing that crap, would ever want to do it again. But the fireworks are cool. I'll give them that.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:06 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I want to do some things this summer with the kids (18 mos and almost 5) in the State.

TIA.

Just go to the cottage. leave the rug rats with the wife, hook up with your boy tTy and smoke cigars, drink beer and fish.
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:09 pm

I will never go to Disney. Never in a my life. I will scratch and claw with my final breath to avoid that place. **** all theme parks. Kids want to go to Disney? Mom wants to take them? Go ahead. I will finance your trip, but my ass ain't going. My parents never took us. We went camping. We weren't poor, but my parents (mostly my dad) were rational fucking people who knew that it would be hell. F UCK. THAT.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:14 pm

Tanfan! wrote:

As you waited in line at the Magic Kingdom for an hour or more to see some teenager dressed up on in a costume so your kid could get its autograph, I bet you thought, I hate me life right now! After that horrible experience, you chug along with millions of people crammed into the over filled park banging your stroller into the legs of the fat ass who decided to stop right in front of you and look at her map. Your kid, who is hot and tired starts whining and all you want to do is leave and go back to the hotel room, away from all those smelly people who invaded your space for 8 plus hours. Let's fly down to disney!!! There isn't a dude on the planet who, after experiencing that crap, would ever want to do it again.  But the fireworks are cool. I'll give them that.

Pretty close. I refused to stand in line for anything. It was fast pass or bust. Most of the people who I ran over with the stroller were either the fatties or people walking down the left side of the path staring at their phone. I insisted on leaving every day at 2:00 pm. We rented a town house that had it's own pool and also a club house with giant pool (Windsor Hills). Pools and water parks are the only way to go when it's that friggin hot. We had a breakfast reservation at a restaurant in Frontier Land in Animal Kingdom. A very average buffet and it was $96 including tip for four of us. Evil or Very Mad 

I don't want go back any time soon and if I did it would have to be in November.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DroppedByADime Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:15 pm

Epcot is tolerable. That " soaring" or flying ride is cool as hell. Then there's drinking at as many "countries" as you can while walking around that pond... With thd fireworks going off.

Magic kingdom ? Hell no.

I was dumb enough to park hop all of them with an 11 year old a few years back. 12 hrs of terror.

The yeti ride and soaring, just about only cool 10 mins that day.
DroppedByADime
DroppedByADime
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:17 pm

The Summit Plummet and Geiser Gusher at Blizzard Beach are pretty good. Sea World has a couple kick ass roller coasters too.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next