Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hurricane Idalia

+10
InTenSity
NigelUno
tGreenWay
AvgMSUJoe
Jake from State Farm
The Pantry
Floyd Robertson
Motown Spartan
GRR Spartan
MiamiSpartan
14 posters

Go down

Hurricane Idalia Empty Hurricane Idalia

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:11 pm

Best case scenario is that it stays to the center of this path, as the armpit of Florida is the only coast in the state without a major population area.

But at the angle it's going, it only takes a slight jog Eastward to be the difference between hitting the lower populated area and hitting Tampa (much like how a slight jog Eastward led Ian to hit Ft Myers instead of Tampa last September). And there is a lot of speculation, though not showing up in models, that the track could shift Eastward.

Even hitting just North of Tampa could be awful for Tampa, because the storm surge will go right up into the bay and into downtown Tampa. The further West of Tampa, the better.

Hurricane Idalia 20544910
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Hurricane Idalia Empty Re: Hurricane Idalia

Post by GRR Spartan Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:00 pm

One thing about a significant hurricane hitting Florida, like Oklahoma after tornados, is all those Federal gubmint ain’t good for nuthin’ folks aren’t acting nearly as independent as they said they were 72 hours prior.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:02 pm

I'm a heartless jerk, I know. But I'll say more or less same thing to Floridians that I say to my cranky old ass neighbor when he bitches about snow...

Did you expect a different outcome?

Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, The Pantry, tGreenWay, AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:05 pm

Motown Spartan wrote:I'm a heartless jerk, I know. But I'll say more or less same thing to Floridians that I say to my cranky old ass neighbor when he bitches about snow...

Hot summers in AZ, who knew?
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

The Pantry, Motown Spartan and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:19 pm

Old friends have a place on the water in Hernando Beach. If the thing turns a little could hit them directly. Haven't been on facebook in years. Might go back to see how they're doing.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:55 pm

I'm on my way down there Saturday. Told my boss I'm going to America's Hot Tub and Hurricane Emporium. He wished me luck.
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry, tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:15 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:I'm a heartless jerk, I know. But I'll say more or less same thing to Floridians that I say to my cranky old ass neighbor when he bitches about snow...

My current favorite, there is no water in the desert. Shocking.

(And btw, until the plane ride into Vegas shows me dead golf courses, fuck that)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Floyd Robertson, tGreenWay, Motown Spartan and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:33 pm

Floyd Robertson wrote:
Motown Spartan wrote:I'm a heartless jerk, I know.  But I'll say more or less same thing to Floridians that I say to my cranky old ass neighbor when he bitches about snow...

Reminded of my favorite Kinison piece

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:30 pm

Well, it's very rare to be directly hit by a major hurricane, so while no one can EXPECT to not get hit, it doesnt happen in most years (Tampa, although an extreme example, hasn't received a direct hit in over 100 years). The same can't be said about snow in the UP.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:35 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:

Well, it's very rare to be directly hit by a major hurricane, so while no one can EXPECT to not get hit, it doesnt happen in most years (Tampa, although an extreme example, hasn't received a direct hit in over 100 years). The same can't be said about snow in the UP.

But someplace always gets hit, year after year. Same as places in tornado alley always getting wiped out, same as the Santa Ana winds always fuel wildfires, same as drought in the desert SW.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

The Pantry and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:26 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

But someplace always gets hit, year after year. Same as places in tornado alley always getting wiped out, same as the Santa Ana winds always fuel wildfires, same as drought in the desert SW.
I don't think anyone is complaining that hurricanes exist, though. I was saying that in comparison to Motown's neighbor complaining about snow when every inch of the UP gets snow on multiple days every winter.

We know that we COULD get hit ditectly with a major hurricane any year. But it is rare for it to actually happen...unlike snow in the UP.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:29 pm

tGreenWay wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Many billions spent to rebuild NO after Katrina, when it's fact the area is sinking and no way to stop it.

Louisiana Environmentalism: New Orleans is Sinking, How to Stay Afloat
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:32 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I don't think anyone is complaining that hurricanes exist, though. I was saying that in comparison to Motown's neighbor complaining about snow when every inch of the UP gets snow on multiple days every winter.

We know that we COULD get hit ditectly with a major hurricane any year. But it is rare for it to actually happen...unlike snow in the UP.

Insurance companies aren’t pulling out of the UP.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry, tGreenWay, duffy munn, Trapper Gus and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:51 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Okay, so mark me down as complaining that hurricanes exist.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

The Pantry, Motown Spartan and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:20 pm

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

Many billions spent to rebuild NO after Katrina, when it's fact the area is sinking and no way to stop it.

That's someone's poorly written term paper.

Fake news.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:36 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

I don't think anyone is complaining that hurricanes exist, though.  I was saying that in comparison to Motown's neighbor complaining about snow when every inch of the UP gets snow on multiple days every winter.

We know that we COULD get hit ditectly with a major hurricane any year.  But it is rare for it to actually happen...unlike snow in the UP.

Fun fact:

Florida has also been hit by more than twice as many hurricanes as the next closest hurricane-prone state, which is Texas. Of the 292 hurricanes that have hit the U.S. since 1851, a staggering 120 have made some sort of landfall in Florida.

5 Most and Least Hurricane-Prone Areas in Florida

What do you pay for property/casuality insurance?  If not at least 20x that in Michigan, we're getting screwed.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:37 am

Well, this could be a fun one. The gfs model shows Idalia going through the panhandle and re-emerging somewhere around NC, then coming back towards S. Florida as a weak typical storm or a low.
http://moe.met.fsu.edu/tcgengifs/
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:27 am

The Pantry wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
I don't think anyone is complaining that hurricanes exist, though.  I was saying that in comparison to Motown's neighbor complaining about snow when every inch of the UP gets snow on multiple days every winter.

We know that we COULD get hit ditectly with a major hurricane any year.  But it is rare for it to actually happen...unlike snow in the UP.

Fun fact:

Florida has also been hit by more than twice as many hurricanes as the next closest hurricane-prone state, which is Texas. Of the 292 hurricanes that have hit the U.S. since 1851, a staggering 120 have made some sort of landfall in Florida.

Is that really a fair comparison, FL to TX? I mean FL sort of sticks out, like America's wang and is a prime target.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:50 am

Floyd Robertson wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

Fun fact:

Is that really a fair comparison, FL to TX? I mean FL sort of sticks out, like America's wang and is a prime target.
Yes, our wang is exposed, and why insurance rates should be significantly higher there.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:34 am

The Pantry wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:

The Tragically Hip were right
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:37 am

Haven’t been following the news, when is it expected to hit land and how strong are they saying? I understand these are estimates, just getting caught up.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:39 am

Jake from State Farm wrote:I'm on my way down there Saturday. Told my boss I'm going to America's Hot Tub and Hurricane Emporium. He wished me luck.
don't forget the sand, old people and golf.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:42 am

Why don't the building codes require all building to be able to withstand a hurricane without any damage, and limit buildings in areas where that is not possible?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:42 am

Nordic wrote:Haven’t been following the news, when is it expected to hit land and how strong are they saying? I understand these are estimates, just getting caught up.
I think its supposed to hit tomorrow or Wednesday. Estimated to be a Cat 3 and go through N. Florida. Tomorrow would be a fun day to golf with 25 mph winds.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:46 am

Trapper Gus wrote:Why don't the building codes require all building to be able to withstand a hurricane without any damage, and limit buildings in areas where that is not possible?
Previously its been rare for major hurricanes to hit north of central FL. Miami-Dade has some of the strongest, if not the strongest, code in the country. That strong code makes it expensive to build houses. I think where a lot is being rebuilt they have stronger codes, but a lot of places have been grandfathered in.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:50 am

https://www.axios.com/2023/08/29/hurricane-idalia-unique-florida-threat
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:06 am

Nordic wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Many billions spent to rebuild NO after Katrina, when it's fact the area is sinking and no way to stop it.

The Tragically Hip were right

Great fucking song.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:33 am

The Pantry wrote:
Floyd Robertson wrote:

Yes, our wang is exposed, and why insurance rates should be significantly higher there.
Umm, insurance rates are significantly higher here. You can do a google search and read all about it. Homeowner's insurance is actually quite a crisis going on here, and believe it or not is NOT really because of hurricanes (at least not directly). It has to do with litigation. About 80% of all insurance litigation in the entire country is in Florida. This isn't over homes destroyed by hurricanes, but due to people trying to get the insurance to pay for things that in many cases aren't necessary and/or aren't covered.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:37 am

The Pantry wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

Fun fact:

5 Most and Least Hurricane-Prone Areas in Florida

What do you pay for property/casuality insurance?  If not at least 20x that in Michigan, we're getting screwed.

I mean, Florida has like 4x as much coastline as Texas, so that would make sense, wouldn't it?

Also, how are you getting screwed? Do you have your homeowner's insurance with one of the few companies that still insures in Florida? If so, change your carrier, because you have TONS of options of carriers that don't insure in Florida.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:44 am

InTenSity wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:Why don't the building codes require all building to be able to withstand a hurricane without any damage, and limit buildings in areas where that is not possible?
Previously its been rare for major hurricanes to hit north of central FL. Miami-Dade has some of the strongest, if not the strongest, code in the country. That strong code makes it expensive to build houses. I think where a lot is being rebuilt they have stronger codes, but a lot of places have been grandfathered in.

Yeah, I'd say another component of this is just the reactive, not proactive, part of human nature.  Miami-Dade County has the strongest building codes in the country, but didn't 30 years ago when Andrew hit, because Miami hadn't been hit with a hurricane in many decades before that.  

After Andrew, very strict codes were put into place.  But those didn't start in effect until around 94 or 95, and then were upgraded again in the early 2000s.  The rest of the state improved their codes then, as well, but not near to what Miami-Dade did.  And even with those new codes, that doesn't help homes that are more than 30 years old.

It's all part of living here, and the vast majority of people understand and accept the risk (at least if they have any choice to live here).  There will always be idiots to the contrary.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:21 am

Briefly a 4 now a 3. Landfall in about an hour
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:13 am

Not a ton of people/development in that part of FLA. I guess that's good.

Old Florida. Huge Oak trees. Big forests.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:51 am

I would just like to point out that Twitter/X whatever the hell it is, is a shit show now. The amount of conspiracy theory BS that is at the top of searches is just fucking stupid. I never really used it very much, but even less now. Searching Idalia and it is full of people calling it all a big government conspiracy.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

gomersbro and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:01 am

InTenSity wrote:I would just like to point out that Twitter/X whatever the hell it is, is a shit show now. The amount of conspiracy theory BS that is at the top of searches is just fucking stupid. I never really used it very much, but even less now. Searching Idalia and it is full of people calling it all a big government conspiracy.

Only look at it when it is posted as a link in something else I am reading.  It appears that without a membership cannot read the threads from the initial link, so pretty much LOS for me.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:59 am

and the anti-socialist, anti-government Governor requests federal assistance.

Biden Assures DeSantis of Federal Support as Idalia Nears Coast

Political rivals speak on phone as storm gets stronger

anti-woke, anti-socalism Governor begs for government assistance
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:17 pm

Hypocrite is synonymous with Republican.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Robert J Sakimano and Jake from State Farm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:30 pm

Home insurers cut natural disasters from policies as climate risks grow
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Rick Saunders likes this post

Back to top Go down