Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best places to eat in East Lansing?

+10
Travis of the Cosmos
tGreenWay
steveschneider
NigelUno
InTenSity
Cameron
duffy munn
The Pantry
AvgMSUJoe
Motown Spartan
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Best places to eat in East Lansing?  Empty Best places to eat in East Lansing?

Post by Motown Spartan 2023-11-04, 12:02

Specifically, breakfast and sandwich places that are unique and can’t really find elsewhere.

Go!!
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Best places to eat in East Lansing?  Empty Re: Best places to eat in East Lansing?

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-11-04, 12:33

Breakfast. Not el.
http://www.goldenharvestlansing.com/

Sandwich?
Subway?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Best places to eat in East Lansing?  Empty Re: Best places to eat in East Lansing?

Post by The Pantry 2023-11-04, 12:38

No idea what's there now.  Best EL breakfast restaurant, ever?

Best places to eat in East Lansing?  Pantre11
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-11-04, 12:43

AvgMSUJoe wrote:Breakfast. Not el.

Sandwich?
Subway?
golden Harvest is the most overrated restaurant on the planet Joe. Followed very closely by Zingermans
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2023-11-04, 13:02

Jersey Giant
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2023-11-04, 13:05

Is MEAT BBQ still there?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-11-04, 13:19

duffy munn wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Breakfast. Not el.

Sandwich?
Subway?
golden Harvest is the most overrated restaurant on the planet Joe. Followed very closely by Zingermans

Zingerman’s is OK. But, $75 for a Rueben is a little high.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

The Pantry, AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2023-11-04, 13:50

duffy munn wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Breakfast.  Not el.

Sandwich?
Subway?

I love Zingerman’s and just for clarity the -1 is from me for such a terrible take.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-11-04, 16:41

duffy munn wrote:
AvgMSUJoe wrote:Breakfast.  Not el.

Sandwich?
Subway?
It's been a while... what other breakfast focused places are around?

And yeah 3 zingermans sandwiches you are looking at a hundred. But you will be full.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-11-04, 16:44

InTenSity wrote:Is MEAT BBQ still there?
Yep, Meat is good. Saddleback. The breweries aren't bad. None of those are sandwiches or breakfast.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-11-04, 16:52

I know of a place that makes chili with Kobe beef but it’s not exactly in East Lansing. Or close to East Lansing.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-11-04, 17:09

These are mostly in Okemos sorry

Taste of Thai is always good

There’s a pho place in Hannah plaza. Not a big pho guy, but they have a dish there called Vietnamese pad Thai that I really dig

I like Persis for Indian. I used to prefer Sindhu but they changed owners and it isnt as good anymore. It’s been like a year though maybe I should give them another shot

I think I like luckys better than Stillwater, two steakhouses right next up each other. Stillwater is certainly fancier, but I think luckys overall probably tastes better. I guess it depends on what you’re looking for there. 

Hitting Applebees for appetizers followed by going next door for entrees at Cracker Barrel is a delectable option.

Are any of these the best restaurant? Probably not. But I guess it depends on what you want
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-11-04, 17:46

I just remembered that I should note that I have two small children so if a place doesn’t make takeout a central focus of their business model I probably don’t get to go very often
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-11-04, 18:06

NigelUno wrote:
duffy munn wrote: golden Harvest is the most overrated restaurant on the planet Joe. Followed very closely by Zingermans

Zingerman’s is OK.   But, $75 for a Rueben is a little high.

Zingerman's Tomato Soup is a meal in itself.

Their sandwiches are very good, pretty big & expensive, big city pricing.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-11-04, 18:10

Northside Grill in A2 is good for breakfast & lunch. Pretty busy so expect to wait.

https://sites.google.com/site/thenorthsidegrilla2/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-11-04, 18:15

Vinology in A2 has $18 all you can drink, almost, Mimosas & Bloody Mary's for Sunday brunch.  Food prices are okay and food is good.  Not as popular as it should be when the students aren't in town.

https://vinologya2.com/brunch/
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-11-04, 18:31

Not EL, but Soup Spoon is good.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay, duffy munn and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2023-11-04, 18:41

Breakfast:  love Fleetwood.  Although never at breakfast time.  Meaty Hippie Hash for the win.

Sandwiches:  Habana Delight or Joses's Cuban.  One is a food truck and the other is in a gas station, you're getting that shit to go.

Last edited by StylesGShmooth on 2023-11-05, 07:35; edited 1 time in total
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2023-11-04, 19:52

Jolly Pumpkin has good sandwiches, cheesy bread, and fries. Charlie Kang’s isn’t fancy but is always good. Don’t forget tots at Crunchy’s. There’s always a tiny plastic bottle of wine and a 100 Grand bar from Walgreen’s.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-11-04, 21:33

NigelUno wrote:Not EL, but Soup Spoon is good.

Probably the best in Ingham county
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2023-11-05, 07:07

Hey Pantry what’s that place over on the west side?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-11-05, 07:23

duffy munn wrote:
NigelUno wrote:Not EL, but Soup Spoon is good.

The People's Kitchen might qualify as unique. Never been. Heard the menu is a little quirky, or more for foodies. Borderline EL.

I think the guy from Golden Harvest started it, but don't think he's there anymore.

Soup Spoon is just always good.

It does suck that we always have these discussions and it's a struggle to come up with good options in EL.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2023-11-05, 07:46

NigelUno wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

The People's Kitchen might qualify as unique. Never been. Heard the menu is a little quirky, or more for foodies. Borderline EL.

I think the guy from Golden Harvest started it, but don't think he's there anymore.

It does suck that we always have these discussions and it's a struggle to come up with good options in EL.

Thanks for the recommend. I will check it out.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-11-05, 11:18

NigelUno wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Peoples Kitchen is very good. The menu is a bit quirky and very limited but I've never had a bad meal there. The vibe is cool too yet the acoustics are really bad. When it's packed the place is LOUD and it's hard to carry on a conversation. The sound of people talking seems to bounce off the ceiling to the floor.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-11-05, 13:28

Back from half-price pizza Sunday at Crunchy's.

I'm a simple dude who doesn't need much.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-11-05, 13:45

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Back from half-price pizza Sunday at Crunchy's.

How was it? I haven't had a pizza at Crunchys in quite some time.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-11-05, 18:51

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Back from half-price pizza Sunday at Crunchy's.

not bad and half-price (dine in only on Sundays) makes it even better.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-11-05, 20:41

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Pizza is always better when you dine in. No matter how good the pie, it loses something when carried out or delivered. This is why I half blame Tom Monaghan for the demise of good pizza in this great country. Delivery pizza sucks.

The other half of the blame goes to Mike Illitch. Pizza pizza=garbage garbage. When you pay $5 for two pizzas you are getting exactly what you pay for. And hot n' ready is code for sitting under a hot lamp in a cardboard box for at least 30 minutes
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-11-05, 20:42

Pizza pizza is what you feed the kids when you and the wife have date night.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

tGreenWay and duffy munn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-11-05, 21:06

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

Pizza is always better when you dine in. No matter how good the pie, it loses something when carried out or delivered. This is why I half blame Tom Monaghan for the demise of good pizza in this great country. Delivery pizza sucks.

The other half of the blame goes to Mike Illitch. Pizza pizza=garbage garbage. When you pay $5 for two pizzas you are getting exactly what you pay for. And hot n' ready is code for sitting under a hot lamp in a cardboard box for at least 30 minutes
You only get one pizza for $5

But also I appreciate the straight forward ness of their approach. A hot n ready. What is it? It’s hot. And it’s ready. There is no claim of quality or taste or anything else. Just that it is both hot and it is ready.

One other thing on LC- it isn’t that bad. I mean it’s not good. But it’s not bad. I think dominoes is significantly worse.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, The Pantry and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-11-05, 21:10

I agree Dominos is worse. That said, I'd rather have pretty much any bar burger then either.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano, Travis of the Cosmos and tGreenWay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-11-06, 06:13

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: not bad and half-price (dine in only on Sundays) makes it even better.

doesn't deem to be a good place for pizza in the greater East Lansing area these days. Wife and I have been to Sleepwalker in REO Town a time or two and it might be the best in the area.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-11-06, 06:40

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

doesn't deem to be a good place for pizza in the greater East Lansing area these days. Wife and I have been to Sleepwalker in REO Town a time or two and it might be the best in the area.

If you want to road trip a little east try Spagnulos in Okemos/Williamston. Further distance and to the west is Cuginos on Grand Ledge. Both are very good but eating there is a must. I know this is a touch out of your comfort zone Bob but I think you'll like the vibe in both places too.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-11-06, 06:45

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

You only get one pizza for $5

But also I appreciate the straight forward ness of their approach. A hot n ready. What is it? It’s hot. And it’s ready. There is no claim of quality or taste or anything else. Just that it is both hot and it is ready.

One other thing on LC- it isn’t that bad. I mean it’s not good. But it’s not bad. I think dominoes is significantly worse.

Ok maybe I'm being a little harsh on Little Ceasars. Probably because when I was a kid and young adult in was actually very good. It went down hill when pizza! pizza! was introduced. No question in my mind they went to different ( aka cheaper) ingredients.

Plus I'm not a fan of the Ilitch family so this may taint my opinion.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2023-11-06, 07:30

Pizza is such a nebulous food.  Too many "styles" and too many preferences to be able to identify "good" pizza for everyone. It might as well be pasties.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-11-06, 08:34

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: doesn't deem to be a good place for pizza in the greater East Lansing area these days. Wife and I have been to Sleepwalker in REO Town a time or two and it might be the best in the area.

If you want to road trip a little east try Spagnulos in Okemos/Williamston. Further distance and to the west is Cuginos on Grand Ledge. Both are very good but eating there is a must. I know this is a touch out of your comfort zone Bob but I think you'll like the vibe in both places too.
thanks man - I've been to Spagnuolo's, but it's been a while. Definitely pre-pandemic.

And I've heard about Cuginos but I'm not sure I want to be in Grand Ledge after dark.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2023-11-08, 10:16

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Art's pizza is great, as is Cosmos.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2023-11-08, 12:34

StylesGShmooth wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote: doesn't deem to be a good place for pizza in the greater East Lansing area these days. Wife and I have been to Sleepwalker in REO Town a time or two and it might be the best in the area.

nice - I've had Cosmos, but it's been a while.

Never had Art's pizza, but their smoked wings are quite tasty.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-11-08, 12:52

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

thanks man - I've been to Spagnuolo's, but it's been a while. Definitely pre-pandemic.

And I've heard about Cuginos but I'm not sure I want to be in Grand Ledge after dark.

The streets of downtown Grand Ledge are certainly mean but if you're packin' your glock you should be fine Bob
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-11-08, 12:54

StylesGShmooth wrote:

I haven't had Arts pizza in a while but it was always too heavy for me. shit weighs about 10lbs. But I have been checking out Arts for breakfast lately and it's outstanding and reasonably priced
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next