Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four. Damn It Izzo.

+10
Other Teams Pursuing That
Cameron
DWags
Trapper Gus
NigelUno
Pervis Muldoon
steveschneider
kingstonlake
Travis of the Cosmos
The Pantry
14 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four.  Damn It Izzo.   - Page 3 Empty Re: It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four. Damn It Izzo.

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-23, 09:03

DWags wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

I would expect him to compete for a big ten title every 4 years at least and or f4.

So, I looked.  All of those bluebloods I listed to start this thread had longer gaps in between final fours than Tom Izzo.  

Izzo beats them all.  

In those gap years:

Kentucky had a 5 year gap of no conference championships 2005-2010
Duke had a TWELVE year gap of no conference championships 2010-2022
UConn hasn’t won any since 2006.  

Kansas? Holy shit. They win one almost every year

The point is, and I really think this is absolutely great, and I hope you take this with no offense, you have higher standards for good old, Michigan State, then Duke, Kentucky, or Connecticut has been able to meet.  

The reason why you do, is because of Tom Izzo. That’s it   We are all spoiled by that little elf  

This isn’t a straw man it’s your listed criteria.   every great program, has gap years. It sucks when you’re in them.  

We don’t know if Izzo is at the end of his career or if this is a gap year, that will be ended.  Last year’s recruiting class was number three in the nation  one of the diamonds in that class has a bullet in his leg   One of them is sitting on the bench, a red shirt   This year’s class is number seven in the nation  

I’m willing to give the little elf some elbow room here. Especially when I compare it to other so-called blueblood programs

*** Edit:  when I started looking up this stuff, it absolutely floored me at the gaps between conference championships and final four at some of these schools had.  I too, am shocked by the standards I subconsciously have for the program. And yes.OTPT it’s why I have season tickets.

I don't understand his comment about season tickets. Was that supposed to be some sick burn?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four.  Damn It Izzo.   - Page 3 Empty Re: It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four. Damn It Izzo.

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-23, 09:06

Trapper Gus wrote:
DWags wrote:

ACC and the big east will steal your lunch. Kansas has it “easier” but still their conference championships just blow me away. Honestly, it’s almost every year.

So, the teams in those conferences, if competing in the B1G would win the championship every year, so to speak?

Duke and UNC would do very well in the Big Ten. UCONN and Villanova (most years) also. There are some pretty weak teams at the bottom of those conferences. I'd say the Big Ten is better top to bottom, but the other conferences have better marquee teams (if that makes sense).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-23, 09:48

NigelUno wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

So, the teams in those conferences, if competing in the B1G would win the championship every year, so to speak?

Duke and UNC would do very well in the Big Ten. UCONN and Villanova (most years) also. There are some pretty weak teams at the bottom of those conferences. I'd say the Big Ten is better top to bottom, but the other conferences have better marquee teams (if that makes sense).

It would be interesting to see how well they would do with game-in/game-out B1G home style officiating.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-23, 10:48

Trapper Gus wrote:
DWags wrote:

So, I looked.  All of those bluebloods I listed to start this thread had longer gaps in between final fours than Tom Izzo.  

Izzo beats them all.  

In those gap years:

The point is, and I really think this is absolutely great, and I hope you take this with no offense, you have higher standards for good old, Michigan State, then Duke, Kentucky, or Connecticut has been able to meet.  

The reason why you do, because of Tom Izzo. That’s it   We are all spoiled by that little elf  

This isn’t a straw man it’s your listed criteria.   every great program, has gap years. It sucks when you’re in them.  

We don’t know if Izzo is at the end of his career or if this is a gap year, that will be ended.  Last year’s recruiting class was number three in the nation  one of the diamonds in that class has a bullet in his leg   One of them is sitting on the bench, a red shirt   This year’s class is number seven in the nation  

I’m willing to give a little elf, a lot of elbow room   Especially when I compare it to other so-called blueblood programs

*** Edit:  when I started looking up this stuff, it absolutely floored me at the gaps between conference championships and final four at some of these schools had.  I too, am shocked by the standards I subconsciously have for the program. And yes.OTPT it’s why I have season tickets.

It is my totally uneducated or knowledgeable belief that the B1G is a pretty tough conference Men's BB wise and maintaining a B1G championship team is harder than being in the conferences that some of these other teams are in.

completely agree Trapper. I know the teams have sucked in the tourney but it's a damn hard league to win. Every night is a grind and road games are a grind x10. Doesn't matter who you are playing.

No way Kansas wins the Big Ten a million times in a row. And I doubt people nationally would be gushing about Gonzaga if they played in this league. Same goes for pretty much every team in the SEC.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-23, 10:59

I think Fears being out has cost us at least one game.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-02-23, 11:05

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

Izzo beats them all.  

In those gap years:

The reason why you do, is because of Tom Izzo. That’s it   We are all spoiled by that little elf  

I’m willing to give the little elf some elbow room here. Especially when I compare it to other so-called blueblood programs

I don't understand his comment about season tickets.  Was that supposed to be some sick burn?  

I think it was more a reaction to DWags playing the "you care more than I do" "I'm not mad, you're mad" card. He was laying it on pretty thick, so it's kind of ironic that he has season tickets and probably actually does care as much or more than OTPT does.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-23, 11:20

Cameron wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I don't understand his comment about season tickets.  Was that supposed to be some sick burn?  

I think it was more a reaction to DWags playing the "you care more than I do" "I'm not mad, you're mad" card. He was laying it on pretty thick, so it's kind of ironic that he has season tickets and probably actually does care as much or more than OTPT does.

I think the point was that OTPT seems to care "more" when we lose, and has a tendency to show up and express that on this message board...after losses.

I don't think I'm the only one that has noticed this. But, I could be wrong.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-23, 11:21

Cameron wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

It might be my feeling about how losses affect you.  But you, like anyone, have your opinion.   I don’t think season ticket holders should be put at the level of caring more about wins and being emotionally distraught about losses than non season ticket holders. But again, you have your own opinion. Right on. FTR, when I’m driving home after a loss I’m bummed out, but still enjoyed the trip there, the Brez, having a cocktail  at Kellogg or Harrison.   I’m not thinking about the little elf’s demise or such.    And, like all of us, I might be thinking I’d have done a better job of coaching that particular loss than Izzo, I’m still rational enough that I’m the guy in the pick up driving home and he’s one of the greatest coaches in America going back to the lab trying to figure this shit out.  

Remember the game Lucious hit the three against Maryland to win the game and send us on our way to a final four?  The little elf wanted to grab a timeout before that shot.  

The dude makes mistakes, he makes them in front of millions of people   he will continue to make mistakes    But I’m just pleased as hell that he makes those mistakes at Michigan State .  That motherfucker has a lifetime pass from me.  I certainly won’t be counting out the years he hasn’t won a big 10 title or got to the final four.   Fuck that shit. And fuck anyone who is so emotional about MSU success that they bitch about exactly that.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-02-23, 11:31

Deep breaths, count to 10. No need to get so worked up.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2024-02-23, 11:33

Cameron wrote:Deep breaths, count to 10. No need to get so worked up.

Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-23, 11:43

It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four.  Damn It Izzo.   - Page 3 502811600

Anyway, I've expressed my opinion. Good enough.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-23, 11:45

Good advice.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-23, 11:46

NigelUno wrote:

Good advice.

Right on
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-23, 11:47

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Good advice.

Right on

Do ya think...someone realizes it applies to...

Probably not.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2024-02-23, 11:50

I'm not mad, you're mad.

Very productive.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-23, 11:52

Cameron wrote:I'm not mad, you're mad.

Very productive.

I buy season tickets. I'm madder. It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four.  Damn It Izzo.   - Page 3 502811600
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-23, 11:56

Very productive.

You mad, bro? Or just accidentally clicking on the "YOU SUCK" thing?

Take some deep breaths.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-23, 11:57

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

Good advice.

Right on

I enjoy the "right on" Dwags. Channeling his inner hippie is cool
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-23, 12:00

DWags wrote:

Very productive.

I buy season tickets. I'm madder. It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four.  Damn It Izzo.   - Page 3 502811600

I'd be mad if I had season tickets, and couldn't go to games because I broke myself.

White Men Can't Jump
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-23, 12:06

NigelUno wrote:
DWags wrote:

I'd be mad if I had season tickets, and couldn't go to games because I broke myself.

White Men Can't Jump

You mother fucker!!!! LOL, I've spread them around. I've given them only to Spartans, however. My daughter has senior night. Gonna miss the Steven Izzo good bye. That sucks. Oh, and her fiance is a Northwestern Undergrad. He's the only non Spartan that has got my season tickets.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-23, 12:08

duffy munn wrote:
DWags wrote:

Right on

You know the wife is the bigger Hippie in the family. flower
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-23, 12:20

DWags wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

You know the wife is the bigger Hippie in the family. flower

The Jenny to your Forrest
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-23, 12:46

My bar is the Sweet 16 (regardless of where we finish in the Big Ten). If we don't make it, I get a little bummed watching the next week of games. When we do make it, I realize it's basically a crap shoot from there. You can run into a hot player/team, or have a hot player/team. Differences between winning and losing get small.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, DWags, Trapper Gus and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-02-23, 12:57

NigelUno wrote:My bar is the Sweet 16 (regardless of where we finish in the Big Ten). If we don't make it, I get a little bummed watching the next week of games. When we do make it, I realize it's basically a crap shoot from there. You can run into a hot player/team, or have a hot player/team. Differences between winning and losing get small.

My bar (with all sports) is keeping me distracted until I have something else to distract me. (the next sport, usually)

Because really, day 1 after the victory parade, everyone is in the same boat all over again.

(Which is really depressing if you think about it... work your ass off for months, years, decades and you literally get a handful of hours before you are on the same level as the last place team again)
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

DWags, Trapper Gus and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-23, 13:48

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
NigelUno wrote:My bar is the Sweet 16 (regardless of where we finish in the Big Ten). If we don't make it, I get a little bummed watching the next week of games. When we do make it, I realize it's basically a crap shoot from there. You can run into a hot player/team, or have a hot player/team. Differences between winning and losing get small.

My bar (with all sports) is keeping me distracted until I have something else to distract me. (the next sport, usually)

Because really, day 1 after the victory parade, everyone is in the same boat all over again.

(Which is really depressing if you think about it... work your ass off for months, years, decades and you literally get a handful of hours before you are on the same level as the last place team again)
But you get to buy cool hats.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags, AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-23, 13:48

AvgMSUJoe wrote:
NigelUno wrote:My bar is the Sweet 16 (regardless of where we finish in the Big Ten).  If we don't make it, I get a little bummed watching the next week of games.  When we do make it, I realize it's basically a crap shoot from there.  You can run into a hot player/team, or have a hot player/team.  Differences between winning and losing get small.

But you get to buy cool hats.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2024-02-23, 15:27

I'm more pissed at how horrible Walker is as a ft shooter. Maybe I'm misremembering, but most Izzo teams that start the year horrible behind the stripe improve as the year progresses and that doesn't seem to be happening this year.  Maybe it's just being annoyed that every year there is some player that gets hot only against us.  That's what annoyed me so much about the old Whisky teams.  Their style of play to show the game down sucks in the tourney but worked because of shitty refs in the b1g.
Well I hope I didn't detail anything and this will probably be the last post in this thread for a while.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-23, 17:21

InTenSity wrote:I'm more pissed at how horrible Walker is as a ft shooter. Maybe I'm misremembering, but most Izzo teams that start the year horrible behind the stripe improve as the year progresses and that doesn't seem to be happening this year.  Maybe it's just being annoyed that every year there is some player that gets hot only against us.  That's what annoyed me so much about the old Whisky teams.  Their style of play to show the game down sucks in the tourney but worked because of shitty refs in the b1g.
Well I hope I didn't detail anything and this will probably be the last post in this thread for a while.

Walker has been a little better since his post game free throw lesson from Smitty
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-23, 18:04

Izzo decided to close practice at the last minute yesterday so Jingles and the other high end donors/dignitaries could not attend. Tells me Izz is pissed and didn't want to deal with the audience and the meet & greet following. Edit: Izzo canceled practice all together to give his team some rest. So not because of Jingles

Last edited by duffy munn on 2024-02-23, 19:23; edited 1 time in total
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-02-23, 18:20

AvgMSUJoe wrote:

Enjoy the ride
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-02-23, 18:24

Good episode of Couch & Rube that talks about a lot of this team’s issues, the porthole, etc.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/couch-and-the-rube/id1469132612?i=1000646442419
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-23, 19:43

Nordic wrote:Good episode of Couch & Rube that talks about a lot of this team’s issues, the porthole, etc.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/couch-and-the-rube/id1469132612?i=1000646442419
I like Couch and have listened a couple of times. I like that they can say fuck.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-24, 11:12

Nordic wrote:Good episode of Couch & Rube that talks about a lot of this team’s issues, the porthole, etc.

I think OTPT snuck in a few salty twitter questions.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-02-24, 13:56

NigelUno wrote:

I think OTPT snuck in a few salty twitter questions.

It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four.  Damn It Izzo.   - Page 3 1494614055
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-24, 13:58

Do they take season-ticket holders questions before they take regular peoples questions?  I mean we’re more passionate about it.  

That’s a joke, take deep breaths

I like that podcast and I listen to it. But I don’t think I’ve ever had extra insight from that podcast then I get from the people on this board who know football  and basketball.  

We all know that Izzo uses the portal.   We all know he hates it.   We all know he was counting on.Maddy  to be way better than he is right now. I’m pretty sure he was hoping that Cooper would be better than he is   I’m also sure that he wasn’t expecting Kohler to be injured, nor was he  expecting fears to be injured.

So where does that leave us?  Same place we are right now.  Veterans being inconsistent., rookies, not ready, and Our hope that somehow the little elf pulls enough strings to get to the second weekend, and then who knows.

That AI report that Nordic posted is pretty much the same.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3