Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four. Damn It Izzo.

+10
Other Teams Pursuing That
Cameron
DWags
Trapper Gus
NigelUno
Pervis Muldoon
steveschneider
kingstonlake
Travis of the Cosmos
The Pantry
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four.  Damn It Izzo.   - Page 2 Empty Re: It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four. Damn It Izzo.

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-21, 22:01

DWags wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

It seems like he can still recruit, so I'll go with the game evolving and him not keeping up with it. Also not using the portal when every other program is utilizing it and supplementing their rosters when they see gaps (the center position in our case).

Sissoko and Cooper can not be getting minutes on a big ten team in 2024. They can't make a shot outside of an alley oop dunk. The game has gone away from these type of big men.

Yet he still can beat Shaka Smart with no center. Whipped Baylor. Illinois.

I’m waiting on these two recruiting classes. I don’t think the game has passed him by. It’s like we think he somehow doesn’t know offense and defense now.

If I had to take a wild guess, like everybody is, I would say, even though appears tough on the sidelines, I wonder if he’s as tough at practice still

I haven't been to a practice in 14 years but went to one every year from 99 to 2010.( Thanks DHD, Will Tieman and Labbat.) They were fucking intense. One year I took my STA basketball team and the practice was upstairs. Jason Andreas took an elbow to the face. He went down and was bleeding from his nose. Izzo ripped him. Called him a fucking pussy. At that point, Will grabbed me and my team and sent us down to the main arena to shoot around.

After practice at the lunch/meet and greet. Izzo walks in and looks right at my kids and says: " so any of you guys want to play for me?"

I doubt they are nearly as intense anymore but Jingles is going tomorrow. I will give you guys a report.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four.  Damn It Izzo.   - Page 2 Empty Re: It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four. Damn It Izzo.

Post by Nordic 2024-02-21, 22:07

Nordic wrote:

Doesn't the thread title alone refute that this a trend? I think it does. F4s are hard to make. And the 2020 team was well on the way to another. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but that was a helluva team peaking at the right time. I wouldn't consider that team part of a bad trend.

When is the last time MSU went 4 years without competing for a big ten title? or come close to a final 4?

MSU's record last 4 years:

17-10 (9-7)
21-13 (11-8)
23-13 (11-9)
15-13 (9-11)

I'm trying to find a worse stretch in Izzo's tenure and glancing through the year by year, I'm struggling to. You guys are just talking about final 4s like it's the only thing that matters. This program used to win Big Ten Titles, BTTs and final 4s. Now we are just ignoring the Big ten season (which I believe is the best indicator of a good team) because we are .500 in the big ten.

You're comparing an Izzo to an Izzo Standard. Which 99.9% of coaches can't meet. I'm not. I'm comparing him to every other coach out there/could be coaching our team right now.

The lack of recent BIG championships is semi-fair. But let's be fucking real. All coaches will be judged on the ultimate accomplishment's. Nattys > F4s > Big Championships >>> Big Tourney Championships. When coaches are introduced, that is the order of they will list accomplishments. If the first thing they rattle off if their bio is CCs, that is a pretty tell tale sign. I like BIG championships, but I would take F4s over CCs all fucking day long. And he's done at a 7:10  clip. Which is pretty absurd.

And if we are going to use CCs as a metric. He has 10. The next closest active is Painter with 4. Painter's trend line between CCs is 7, 2 & 4. If we are talking all-time in the Izzo-era, then Keady has 6, Bo Ryan has 5 and Thad Matta has 4. Everyone else I believe is dead. As with F4s, CCs are not easy. If we are looking at Izzo trends, our last one is 2020 (4 years). We had a stretch from 2001-2009 without one (8 years).
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-21, 22:17

Cameron wrote:
DWags wrote:

So you do get sarcasm?   Right on.  

Honestly, I had a lot of time on my hands  but I have not been on that other board and I won’t go to it.  Way too much negative energy.  I’ve got to the point in my life where you know the people who have negative energy, and the people who don’t   Remember Tan Fan and Vlad?  Board feels bad about a loss, so why not pile on.  There’s nothing wrong with criticism, but it’s the same people over and over and over, after a loss, can’t talk, Basketball, but must criticize vehemently.

In the next breath, they say they don’t really care much about athletics   I’ve learned that they care, by far, the most about MSU winning or losing  

However, sitting around today, (I have a ton of time) I wanted to find out, how long most of the great programs had in between final fours. It really shocked me.   Izzo has spoiled us.    It’s amazing some of the gap years.    But we still look at those coaches as amazing coaches, and their programs as amazing programs.   And then it struck me.., I guarantee you that they also have those fans that bring the negative energy after each loss instead of discussion  .  We aren’t any different.

It was stunning   no way that I think some of these programs had seven years nine years 11 years in between final fours.   we might be on a seven or an eight or a nine year or more gap right now  .   Appreciate what we had and what we’ve been able to enjoy..  

Or we can just say  something real negative about Izzo instead of discussing what it might take  to get back to one.  

Pointing out someone bringing negative energy is probably a fault that I have   But now that I’m in my 60s, I don’t really give a shit about saying it
Yes, obviously I recognized both OTPT's post in the other thread and your OP in this thread as sarcasm. I'm not an engineer, I don't have trouble spotting it.

It feels to me like your argument is essentially the logical fallacy of appeal to authority. Of course Tom Izzo has forgotten more about basketball than the rest of us collectively have ever known. That doesn't mean he is perfect, that doesn't mean his coaching decisions are beyond reproach, and he wouldn't disagree with either sentiment himself. Message boards like this one exist almost solely for the purpose of stupid sports takes from uninformed dipshits. As message boards go, tSwill is extremely mild, so posts like your OP responding to entirely predictable reactions to one of the most underwhelming seasons (relative to expectations) of the Izzo era seem excessively defensive.

Get well soon.

Stupid sports takes by idiots are fair game. Both to post and be called out on. That’s great.

What do the kids say? Or did they say back in the day? Don’t front. It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four.  Damn It Izzo.   - Page 2 502811600

Only thing worse than a dumb ass take is a phony who plays off their passion about the school. Just my opinion.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-21, 22:21

Talk to the hand not to the face, boomer
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-21, 22:24

Nordic wrote:

When is the last time MSU went 4 years without competing for a big ten title? or come close to a final 4?

MSU's record last 4 years:

17-10 (9-7)
21-13 (11-8)
23-13 (11-9)
15-13 (9-11)

I'm trying to find a worse stretch in Izzo's tenure and glancing through the year by year, I'm struggling to. You guys are just talking about final 4s like it's the only thing that matters. This program used to win Big Ten Titles, BTTs and final 4s. Now we are just ignoring the Big ten season (which I believe is the best indicator of a good team) because we are .500 in the big ten.

You're comparing an Izzo to an Izzo Standard. Which 99.9% of coaches can't meet. I'm not. I'm comparing him to every other coach out there/could be coaching our team right now.

The lack of recent BIG championships is semi-fair. But let's be fucking real. All coaches will be judged on the ultimate accomplishment's. Nattys > F4s > Big Championships >>> Big Tourney Championships. When coaches are introduced, that is the order of they will list accomplishments. If the first thing they rattle off if their bio is CCs, that is a pretty tell tale sign. I like BIG championships, but I would take F4s over CCs all fucking day long. And he's done at a 7:10  clip. Which is pretty absurd.

And if we are going to use CCs as a metric. He has 10. The next closest active is Painter with 4. Painter's trend line between CCs is 7, 2 & 4. If we are talking all-time in the Izzo-era, then Keady has 6, Bo Ryan has 5 and Thad Matta has 4. Everyone else I believe is dead. As with F4s, CCs are not easy. If we are looking at Izzo trends, our last one is 2020 (4 years). We had a stretch from 2001-2009 without one (8 years).

I would have lost money on a bet had you told me Izzo had gone 8 years without a CC. I can name final fours to people. I can’t name too many CC’s. Off the top of my head I remember 2000 and 2019 and 2020 If you tell me guys on the team for the other 7, I’d get close to the year. I guess that’s why FF’s mean more to me.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-21, 22:28

duffy munn wrote:
DWags wrote:

Yet he still can beat Shaka Smart with no center. Whipped Baylor. Illinois.

I’m waiting on these two recruiting classes. I don’t think the game has passed him by. It’s like we think he somehow doesn’t know offense and defense now.

If I had to take a wild guess, like everybody is, I would say, even though appears tough on the sidelines, I wonder if he’s as tough at practice still

I haven't been to a practice in 14 years but went to one every year from 99 to 2010.( Thanks DHD, Will Tieman and Labbat.) They were fucking intense. One year I took my STA basketball team and the practice was upstairs. Jason Andreas took an elbow to the face. He went down and was bleeding from his nose. Izzo ripped him. Called him a fucking pussy. At that point, Will grabbed me and my team and sent us down to the main arena to shoot around.

After practice at the lunch/meet and greet. Izzo walks in and looks right at my kids and says: " so any of you guys want to play for me?"

I doubt they are nearly as intense anymore but Jingles is going tomorrow. I will give you guys a report.

Jason’s wife was my office aid when she was a senior in HS. I was at the Marriott last year for the UofM game. Saw them on the elevator. I used her maiden name. She stopped the door from closing and we talked a bit. Good kids. Nice family.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-21, 22:32

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:D wags that is a 3 game sample size in college basketball.

I used a 27 year sample size with other teams gaps. I’ll tell you what, if we had to play Marquette this year on the second day and they beat us, do you think we’d get some sports takes the opposite way? Izzo can’t beat Shaka game has passed him by?

I do. And if it’s a dumb take it’s a dumb take. Both ways.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2024-02-22, 09:53

DWags wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I would have lost money on a bet had you told me Izzo had gone 8 years without a CC. I can name final fours to people. I can’t name too many CC’s. Off the top of my head I remember 2000 and 2019 and 2020 If you tell me guys on the team for the other 7, I’d get close to the year. I guess that’s why FF’s mean more to me.

Yeah me too. lol!

But after seeing it, I remember that stretch. Bo Ryan grudge match days.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-22, 10:09

Cameron wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four.  Damn It Izzo.   - Page 2 4113017228 (Look closer)

I noticed your bump, if that's what you are referring to. Seemed rather tongue-in-cheek to me, but what do I know?

As was my bump.

I mean...DWags probably wasn't using sarcasm to address the one poster that has a well known tendency to show up pretty damn fast when we lose...
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn, DWags and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-22, 10:14

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:D wags that is a 3 game sample size in college basketball.

Yeah. It's obviously more important to add the last 4 years of conference records together and say they equal .500 (when they actually don't...and only 1 of them was under .500).
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-22, 10:28

Hypothetical question:

Would you rather finish Top 3 in the Big Ten, or be the only Big Ten team left playing in the Sweet 16?

And would that mean anything about the guy coaching that one team?

Spoiler Alert:
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-22, 10:31

NigelUno wrote:Hypothetical question:

Would you rather finish Top 3 in the Big Ten, or be the only Big Ten team left playing in the Sweet 16?

And would that mean anything about the guy coaching that one team?

Spoiler Alert:

It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four.  Damn It Izzo.   - Page 2 502811600

And by the way, that game was the freaking best game of the tournament if you ask me. I hated the outcome of it., but Izzo and the kids on the team had America entertained. Credit to KSU. They were hot at the right time. I think both teams were worn out at the end and it affected KSU for the next game
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2024-02-22, 11:12

I expect Michigan State to be better than .500 in the big ten. that’s on me, I should adjust my expectations. My bad.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-22, 11:17

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I expect Michigan State to be better than .500 in the big ten. that’s on me, I should adjust my expectations. My bad.

Why would you have to adjust? This year is above .500. Last year was above .500. The year before was above .500.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

AvgMSUJoe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-22, 11:19

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I expect Michigan State to be better than .500 in the big ten. that’s on me, I should adjust my expectations. My bad.

Why do you have these expectations OTPT?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2024-02-22, 11:47

duffy munn wrote:

Sounds like you’re ready to admit Izzo has been underperforming to his standard that he’s built. You’re so close!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-22, 11:52

duffy munn wrote:

Sounds like you’re ready to admit Izzo has been underperforming to his standard that he’s built. You’re so close!

I never said he wasn't. But I think you get my point. No Tom Izzo, no great expectations.

Years ago a heard TI say this at a banquet:" I think a lot of people think the final four is on the schedule. If they only knew......"
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2024-02-22, 11:53

I’m not really sure what your point is bro. We are in this universe with izzo and not some alternative one?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-22, 12:05

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I’m not really sure what your point is bro. We are in this universe with izzo and not some alternative one?

My point is MSU being among the best in college basketball is all you've ever known OTPT. It clouds your perception. I mean, if Izzo hangs it up tomorrow what are your expectations for the next guy? Will you hold him to the same standard?
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-22, 12:18

duffy munn wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:I’m not really sure what your point is bro. We are in this universe with izzo and not some alternative one?

My point is MSU being among the best in college basketball is all you've ever known OTPT. It clouds your perception. I mean, if Izzo hangs it up tomorrow what are your expectations for the next guy? Will you hold him to the same standard?

Good Luck getting an answer to that.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-22, 13:56

duffy munn wrote:

Were you like this in his 8 year no conference championship streak?  8 years OTPT.  8 freaking years. You were upset Tuesday saying "It's been 4 years". Do you recall what you were thinking during that dry spell?.  Were you thinking back then maybe we need a change? You must have been going crazy.  No?  
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2024-02-22, 14:09

duffy munn wrote:

I would expect him to compete for a big ten title every 4 years at least and or f4.
Geronte
Geronte

Nordic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2024-02-22, 14:15

DWags wrote:

Were you like this in his 8 year no conference championship streak?  8 years OTPT.  8 freaking years.  You were upset Tuesday saying "It's been 4 years".  Do you recall what you were thinking during that dry spell?.  Were you thinking back then maybe we need a change?  You must have been going crazy.  No?  

2001, 2005, and 2009 msu went to the final 4. Im sure that helped the lack of b10 banners considering those are banner years.

“thinking back then maybe we need a change” your strawman is showing. no one thinks izzo should be canned. The most recent topic was an argument about this being a trend. It is.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-22, 14:31

DWags wrote:

Were you like this in his 8 year no conference championship streak?  8 years OTPT.  8 freaking years.  You were upset Tuesday saying "It's been 4 years".  Do you recall what you were thinking during that dry spell?.  Were you thinking back then maybe we need a change?  You must have been going crazy.  No?  

2001, 2005, and 2009 msu went to the final 4. Im sure that helped the lack of b10 banners considering those are banner years.

“thinking back then maybe we need a change” your strawman is showing. no one thinks izzo should be canned. The most recent topic was an argument about this being a trend. It is.

No straw man. You had no problem with an 8 year drought? For whatever reasons, you didn't. 8 years. Or maybe you did. Who knows.

Look, I know how passionate you are over MSU's success. We all are, I just think you take it a bit more serious than most. No big deal and I dig the passion. As you get older, the sting of losses isn't as bad, but the passion remains.

Nothing wrong with your passion.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2024-02-22, 14:47

DWags wrote:

No straw man.  You had no problem with an 8 year drought?  For whatever reasons, you didn't.  8 years.   Or maybe you did.  Who knows.

Look, I know how passionate you are over MSU's success.  We all are, I just think you take it a bit more serious than most.  No big deal and I dig the passion.  As you get older, the sting of losses isn't as bad, but the passion remains.  

i referenced that msu went to the final 4 three times in the span of the years. you're just going to ignore that? maybe that had something do with it?

It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four.  Damn It Izzo.   - Page 2 502811600 You posted this thread about boogeyman twitter/rcmb takes defending izzo.. you're getting into it with walmart wolverines on twitter. Projecting much? I take it more serious because I think the program is trending downward and post that in game threads which are by nature reactionary? Ok. Enjoy your season tickets.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-02-22, 14:52

Yeah, we need a modern coach with a modern offense and modern defense. Who has success in the league... like Matt Painter?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2024-02-22, 14:52

Dupe

Last edited by AvgMSUJoe on 2024-02-22, 15:09; edited 2 times in total
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-22, 14:54

DWags wrote:

No straw man.  You had no problem with an 8 year drought?  For whatever reasons, you didn't.  8 years.   Or maybe you did.  Who knows.

Look, I know how passionate you are over MSU's success.  We all are, I just think you take it a bit more serious than most.  No big deal and I dig the passion.  As you get older, the sting of losses isn't as bad, but the passion remains.  

i referenced that msu went to the final 4 three times in the span of the years. you're just going to ignore that? maybe that had something do with it?

Look at you admitting what's the most important thing. Baby steps my guy, baby steps.

Look, you're passionate about MSU basketball. It's cool. I am too. I love it. We all vent in different ways. All good. Keep the fire.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2024-02-22, 14:55

when in doubt, play the "you care more" card as you get into with michigan fans on twitter. can't make that up. good talk d wags.
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-22, 14:57

DWags wrote:

It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four.  Damn It Izzo.   - Page 2 502811600 You posted this thread about boogeyman twitter/rcmb takes defending izzo.. you're getting into it with walmart wolverines on twitter. Projecting much? I take it more serious because I think the program is trending downward and post that in game threads which are by nature reactionary? Ok. Enjoy your season tickets.

Are you more emotional about the losses (and post more when we lose)?

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-22, 14:57

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:when in doubt, play the "you care more" card as you get into with michigan fans on twitter. can't make that up. good talk d wags.

Thanks for the follow. I love that you care.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-22, 17:42

DWags wrote:

Look at you admitting what's the most important thing. Baby steps my guy, baby steps.

Look, you're passionate about MSU basketball. It's cool. I am too. I love it. We all vent in different ways. All good. Keep the fire.

OTPT is becoming more and more insufferable. His passive-agressive, above the fray, yet I'm right you're wrong routine is tiresome.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2024-02-22, 17:48

How can I stalk DWags on Twitter? Or X or whatever the fuck is called.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2024-02-22, 17:53

duffy munn wrote:
DWags wrote:

Look at you admitting what's the most important thing.  Baby steps my guy, baby steps.  

Look, you're passionate about MSU basketball.  It's cool.  I am too.  I love it. We all vent in different ways.  All good.  Keep the fire.  

OTPT is becoming more and more insufferable. His passive-agressive, above the fray, yet I'm right you're wrong routine is tiresome.

It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four.  Damn It Izzo.   - Page 2 502811600 I could not imagine someone better to be disliked by. That is validation!

How many people is that now? Across message boards?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-02-22, 18:32

duffy munn wrote:

It's been FOUR fricken years since our last Final Four.  Damn It Izzo.   - Page 2 502811600 I could not imagine someone better to be disliked by. That is validation!

How many people is that now? Across message boards?

I don't dislike you OTPT. I've never met you. But you did just validate my point.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

DWags and AvgMSUJoe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2024-02-23, 08:05

duffy munn wrote:

I would expect him to compete for a big ten title every 4 years at least and or f4.

And what if the new coach doesn't do that in 4 or 5 years?  Or misses the Tournament entirely?

Last edited by NigelUno on 2024-02-23, 08:37; edited 1 time in total
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-23, 08:35

duffy munn wrote:

So, I looked.  All of those bluebloods I listed to start this thread had longer gaps in between final fours than Tom Izzo.  

Izzo beats them all.  

In those gap years:

Kentucky had a 5 year gap of no conference championships 2005-2010
Duke had a TWELVE year gap of no conference championships 2010-2022
UConn hasn’t won any since 2006.  

Kansas? Holy shit. They win one almost every year

The point is, and I really think this is absolutely great, and I hope you take this with no offense, you have higher standards for good old, Michigan State, then Duke, Kentucky, or Connecticut has been able to meet.  

The reason why you do, is because of Tom Izzo. That’s it   We are all spoiled by that little elf  

This isn’t a straw man it’s your listed criteria.   every great program, has gap years. It sucks when you’re in them.  

We don’t know if Izzo is at the end of his career or if this is a gap year, that will be ended.  Last year’s recruiting class was number three in the nation  one of the diamonds in that class has a bullet in his leg   One of them is sitting on the bench, a red shirt   This year’s class is number seven in the nation  

I’m willing to give the little elf some elbow room here. Especially when I compare it to other so-called blueblood programs

*** Edit:  when I started looking up this stuff, it absolutely floored me at the gaps between conference championships and final four at some of these schools had.  I too, am shocked by the standards I subconsciously have for the program. And yes.OTPT it’s why I have season tickets.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-23, 08:44

DWags wrote:

So, I looked.  All of those bluebloods I listed to start this thread had longer gaps in between final fours than Tom Izzo.  

Izzo beats them all.  

In those gap years:

The point is, and I really think this is absolutely great, and I hope you take this with no offense, you have higher standards for good old, Michigan State, then Duke, Kentucky, or Connecticut has been able to meet.  

The reason why you do, because of Tom Izzo. That’s it   We are all spoiled by that little elf  

This isn’t a straw man it’s your listed criteria.   every great program, has gap years. It sucks when you’re in them.  

We don’t know if Izzo is at the end of his career or if this is a gap year, that will be ended.  Last year’s recruiting class was number three in the nation  one of the diamonds in that class has a bullet in his leg   One of them is sitting on the bench, a red shirt   This year’s class is number seven in the nation  

I’m willing to give a little elf, a lot of elbow room   Especially when I compare it to other so-called blueblood programs

*** Edit:  when I started looking up this stuff, it absolutely floored me at the gaps between conference championships and final four at some of these schools had.  I too, am shocked by the standards I subconsciously have for the program. And yes.OTPT it’s why I have season tickets.

It is my totally uneducated or knowledgeable belief that the B1G is a pretty tough conference Men's BB wise and maintaining a B1G championship team is harder than being in the conferences that some of these other teams are in.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-02-23, 08:47

Trapper Gus wrote:
DWags wrote:

Izzo beats them all.  

In those gap years:

The reason why you do, because of Tom Izzo. That’s it   We are all spoiled by that little elf  

I’m willing to give a little elf, a lot of elbow room   Especially when I compare it to other so-called blueblood programs

It is my totally uneducated or knowledgeable belief that the B1G is a pretty tough conference Men's BB wise and maintaining a B1G championship team is harder than being in the conferences that some of these other teams are in.

ACC and the big east will steal your lunch. Kansas has it “easier” but still their conference championships just blow me away. Honestly, it’s almost every year.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Trapper Gus 2024-02-23, 08:55

DWags wrote:
Trapper Gus wrote:

ACC and the big east will steal your lunch. Kansas has it “easier” but still their conference championships just blow me away. Honestly, it’s almost every year.

So, the teams in those conferences, if competing in the B1G would win the championship every year, so to speak?
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next