Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stupid theory on our collapses in the second half of Oregon and Nebraska

+10
Robert J Sakimano
75alum
Stoops21
CrazySparty
steveschneider
WBill
Wally Fairway
By-Tor
Rodeo Burger
DWags
14 posters

Go down

Stupid theory on our collapses in the second half of Oregon and Nebraska Empty Stupid theory on our collapses in the second half of Oregon and Nebraska

Post by DWags 2014-10-05, 21:24

Besides these two games, which games have our starters played more than two quarters or two and a half quarters? Before both of these games we've never let our starters go that long. It certainly could be an intensity type thing that leads to the lack of finish. It could just be that Nebraska played a four quarter game against Miami before us. Who knows, just a possible reason (more likely an excuse) of why we're having trouble finishing. It's my suspicion we get better as we go along.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Stupid theory on our collapses in the second half of Oregon and Nebraska Empty Re: Stupid theory on our collapses in the second half of Oregon and Nebraska

Post by Rodeo Burger 2014-10-05, 21:32

That thought had crossed my mind as well.

I think it is more of a mental aspect than physical. There seemed to be some lack of focus that Nebraska was able to exploit. It only takes one blown assignment on a given play.

The refs still played a bigger part IMO. Calls against us, as well as no calls that should have gone our way to extend drives.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Stupid theory on our collapses in the second half of Oregon and Nebraska Empty Re: Stupid theory on our collapses in the second half of Oregon and Nebraska

Post by By-Tor 2014-10-05, 21:39

I dunno. Yesterday's semi-collapse was mostly fluky. It was 27-9 with like 6 min to go and a pick 6 goes right through Drummonds hands. 34-9 and you don't start this thread. The bogus PI call. A punt return TD, etc. most concerning was not being able to run the ball well enough to salt the game away but the Nebraska D played well and never quit.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-10-05, 21:42

I think they players became distracted by the silence coming from the green seats followed by the mass exodus in the student section.
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-10-05, 21:44

Remarkable performance for the Defense yesterday when you consider that Nebraska was allowed to have 18 possessions.

Stanford had 12 in the Rose Bowl
Ohio State had 13 in BTT

Oregon had 15
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2014-10-05, 23:31

gHost Spartan wrote:I guess I shared the same theory with respect to the offense. Cook hasn't been playing much at all except the Oregon game and he seemed a little off yesterday. That killer instinct seems to be missing or lapses in the second half last night and we struggled offensively in the second half in Eugene.

To use a football cliche, I thought Cook was threading the needle on some of his throws. Cook continues to amaze me and I still see a lot of upside to his game.

I think the coaching strategy shifts in the 2nd half, I think the play calling goes away from what is working to a game of trying to melt the clock. It's too conservative and I hate it. I would like to see us stay aggressive and put teams away.

I agree with the OP, I think this team improves and I don't think we lose another game up to the Ohio State game. The Ohio State game should be a thriller.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazySparty 2014-10-05, 23:55

Didn't Narduzzi say he thought the starters should've played more against JSU, only for Dantonio to come out and say he disagreed with him?

Not saying there's a rift or anything like that, but it is worth noting Narduzzi has already brought up this point.
CrazySparty
CrazySparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoops21 2014-10-06, 06:09

WBill wrote:Remarkable performance for the Defense yesterday when you consider that Nebraska was allowed to have 18 possessions.

Stanford had 12 in the Rose Bowl
Ohio State had 13 in BTT

Oregon had 15
That's unreal. Thats a hell of a job by the defense
Stoops21
Stoops21
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by 75alum 2014-10-06, 08:20

DWags wrote:Besides these two games, which games have our starters played more than two quarters or two and a half quarters? Before both of these games we've never let our starters go that long. It certainly could be an intensity type thing that leads to the lack of finish. It could just be that Nebraska played a four quarter game against Miami before us. Who knows, just a possible reason (more likely an excuse) of why we're having trouble finishing. It's my suspicion we get better as we go along.

I think your suspicion will play out as reality. Was glad to hear MD call out the refs as best he could. The team got conservative in the 4th; Cook has said so. Learn from that. The kids, (young adults) follow MD like a sherpa and as they should. They do not want to embarrass; just win. They will learn the difference and when the speed limit needs to be exceeded. We are beyond the falling apart years. November will see all cylinders and a team that could / should be top 5 or better.
75alum
75alum
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-10-06, 08:20

Wally Fairway wrote:I think they players became distracted by the silence coming from the green seats followed by the mass exodus in the student section.
I think it was a combination of this and the officiating...

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-10-06, 08:51

This worried me a little heading into the game. But we didn't get manhandled in the 4th quarter. We didn't look gassed. It was three plays... a missed pick six, a bad PI call and bad punt coverage. More reps vs. Eastern were not the issue.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court 2014-10-06, 10:42

The brain fart on special teams allowing a 64 yard punt return for a touchdown was how the Huskers made it a game with under 4 minutes left. One tackle on special teams and Nebraska maybe scores a TD with 2 minutes left in the game, allowing MSU to kneel down for the win.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Wally Fairway 2014-10-06, 10:47

Nordic wrote:This worried me a little heading into the game. But we didn't get manhandled in the 4th quarter. We didn't look gassed. It was three plays... a missed pick six, a bad PI call and bad punt coverage. More reps vs. Eastern were not the issue.
While I agree with the general context of your post - it was more than 3 plays, IMO. Penalties hurt the team on both sides of the ball in the 2nd half, I'd have to look but I think it was more in the 4th. Giving the Cornshuckers first downs, taking MSU out of field goal range, losing on O-Lineman on a DQ. I think that stuff happens when there is a loss of focus, getting sloppy...and you forgot the missed FG by Geiger with 1:30 to go; MSU needed to get 1 first down and couldn't do it.
Luckily Tommy Armstrong ended the game looking like what he did the majority of the game - significantly under/over throwing his receivers. I will give the Fighting Pelini's some credit for never throwing in the towel, and keep taking shots down the field...hopefully the Spartans look at this game and learn to put their foot on the throat of an opponent and get up by 30 or more.
Wally Fairway
Wally Fairway
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by beal99 2014-10-06, 11:01

I heard some Nebraska fans say our D was "sucking wind" in that 4th quarter, what?
beal99
beal99
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2014-10-06, 11:11

Wally Fairway wrote:...and you forgot the missed FG by Geiger with 1:30 to go.

Thought it was huge that
1) Langford didn't get stay in-bounds on 3rd down
2) we didn't use our last time out to set up that kick
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WBill 2014-10-06, 11:17

The problem with the whole conservative play calling debate is that MSU didn't put together any sustained drives in the first have either. The two TD's, came on the bomb and then the 1st play of the possession. The offense was working in spurts and stops all night.

What we did seem to abandon for most of the night was any sort of short passing game. No crossing routes or anything to a back that connected.
WBill
WBill
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down