Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mike Riley (Oregon State) to Nebraska...

+15
Nordic
Floyd Robertson
Ass Dan
tTito
Izzo Court
Rocinante
beal99
Robert J Sakimano
Watch Out Pylon!
Other Teams Pursuing That
The_Dude
By-Tor
InTenSity
kingstonlake
Heat Miser
19 posters

Go down

Mike Riley (Oregon State) to Nebraska... Empty Mike Riley (Oregon State) to Nebraska...

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-04, 12:38

Yawn. He will be 62 before he coaches his first game at Nebraska. Unless he gets Frost as OC/Head Coach in Waiting, this is a bust IMHO.

Riley to Nebraska

Would Narduzzi go West Coast if offered?

Last edited by Heat Miser on 2014-12-04, 12:46; edited 2 times in total
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Mike Riley (Oregon State) to Nebraska... Empty Re: Mike Riley (Oregon State) to Nebraska...

Post by kingstonlake 2014-12-04, 12:42

Wait, who? Where?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Mike Riley (Oregon State) to Nebraska... Empty Re: Mike Riley (Oregon State) to Nebraska...

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-04, 12:43

The Oregon State HC?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-12-04, 12:46

Lol.... His best season ever is.....wait for it......10-4
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-12-04, 12:48

By-Tor wrote:Lol.... His best season ever is.....wait for it......10-4

At Oregon State....he is 6-2 in bowls.

Ever been to Corvalis?

No
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-12-04, 12:53

Why did they fire Bo again?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-12-04, 13:00

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Why did they fire Bo again?

Because he lost 4 games very year, couldnt win a conference title, and routinely got his ass kicked by the good teams he faced.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2014-12-04, 13:03

Seems like a lateral move at best.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-04, 13:04

The_Dude wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Why did they fire Bo again?

Because he lost 4 games very year, couldnt win a conference title, and routinely got his ass kicked by the good teams he faced.

And you think Mike Riley is gonna change that?
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-04, 13:05

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:Seems like a lateral move at best.

For Nebraska. I'd even venture to say it's a downgrade. If I'm Bo Pelini I'm rather insulted right now.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-12-04, 13:09

what a loser....Mike Riley (Oregon State) to Nebraska... 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by beal99 2014-12-04, 13:12

If Nebraska has accepted their fate as new Iowa, this is a great hire
beal99
beal99
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-12-04, 13:13

Heat Miser wrote:

And you think Mike Riley is gonna change that?

Riley would be a solid plan B or C guy. This early in the process, Im surprised NU settled.

He's a solid coach, but not sure he's the guy to take NU over the top. Firing Pelini for this guy is kind of baffling.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2014-12-04, 13:13

Robert J Sakimano wrote:what a loser....Mike Riley (Oregon State) to Nebraska... 502811600

Mike Riley (Oregon State) to Nebraska... 1165525128
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-04, 13:19

Nebraska gave Pelini $7 million to go away so they could hire....wait for it...Mike Riley.

Florida is spending $10+ million to go from Will Muschamp to Jim McElwain.

If I told you this 2 months ago you would've laughed at me.

I'm calling it now. SCum gets Cutcliff from Duke.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-12-04, 13:25

Heat Miser wrote:Nebraska gave Pelini $7 million to go away so they could hire....wait for it...Mike Riley.

he would be a perfect fit at SCum.. he sucks, he's old and he's ugly.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-12-04, 13:26

I've said before that I share a wall with a guy who is a Nebraska alum, plugged into the program, all that. His take on the firing of Bo is that is wasn't so much about the record, as it was about the personality. I mean, they WANT a guy who get's them to the B1G championship every year, they WANT to compete for national titles, but they understand that Bo's record wasn't far off. They seem to think it was his style and his emotional outbursts on the sideline that alienated him from his team and ultimately undermined their ability to take the next step. So although I don't know about Mike Riley's personality, I imagine it had as much to do with this hire as his record.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzo Court 2014-12-04, 13:40

All coaches know that AD's protect the coaches they hire, and have short leashes for those they inherit. If you're a coach and scUM gives you a call you're going to have concerns that the new AD that comes in isn't going to protect you if you have a couple 7 win seasons.

What scUM should have done was to keep Hoke for another season simply to try to salvage as much of the recruiting class as they could. Then they could take their time finding a permanent AD who can then bring in their own head coach.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2014-12-04, 13:46

Riley has been offered the USC and the Alabama HC jobs in the past.

1st coach to leave OSU with a winning record since 1964.

93-80 at OSU is like having the same record at Indiana. A minor miracle.

I think it's a solid hire for Nebraska.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-04, 13:51

LooseGoose wrote:Riley has been offered the USC and the Alabama HC jobs in the past.

Agreed...if your goal is to be Iowa...which was NOT their stated goal when they canned Pelini. Riley is a poor man's Ferentz IMHO. Maybe he's Bill Snyder if they're lucky.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2014-12-04, 13:52

Rocinante wrote:I've said before that I share a wall with a guy who is a Nebraska alum, plugged into the program, all that. His take on the firing of Bo is that is wasn't so much about the record, as it was about the personality. I mean, they WANT a guy who get's them to the B1G championship every year, they WANT to compete for national titles, but they understand that Bo's record wasn't far off. They seem to think it was his style and his emotional outbursts on the sideline that alienated him from his team and ultimately undermined their ability to take the next step. So although I don't know about Mike Riley's personality, I imagine it had as much to do with this hire as his record.

This makes a lot of sense. Wait, what??? Oh, your friend told you that. This is exactly what the walverine in the office down the hall got from his Nebraska friends. Pelini's a bit a hot head lunatic - (much like Harbaugh).
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2014-12-04, 13:54

LooseGoose wrote:Riley has been offered the USC and the Alabama HC jobs in the past.

Yes, I would be surprised if OSU has a lot of resources and their home state rival is The Death Star.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2014-12-04, 14:04

Heat Miser wrote:Nebraska gave Pelini $7 million to go away so they could hire....wait for it...Mike Riley.

Cutcliffe told Tennessee to screw themselves. Um gets Dave doerren or someone if that ilk
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-12-04, 14:04

Tons of rumors on Twitter that Pinkel is moving to u of m after their bowl game. That rumor makes no sense to me. Pinkel is in a one-horse town, things are going well since the switch to the SEC east and who the hell knows who is AD is going to be.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-04, 14:15

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Tons of rumors on Twitter that Pinkel is moving to u of m after their bowl game. That rumor makes no sense to me. Pinkel is in a one-horse town, things are going well since the switch to the SEC east and who the hell knows who is AD is going to be.

Would love it to be Pinkel. He'll be 63 in April. Mike Riley (Oregon State) to Nebraska... 1494614055
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-04, 14:16

Ass Dan wrote:

Cutcliffe told Tennessee to screw themselves. Um gets Dave doerren or someone if that ilk

And he's 60. I rescind my call.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2014-12-04, 14:28

KNOCK KNOCK!
WHO'S THERE??
MIKE RILEY!
MIKE RILEY WHO??
YEAH THAT'S WHAT I SAID TOO

- Faux Pelini
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-12-04, 14:32

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:KNOCK KNOCK!
WHO'S THERE??
MIKE RILEY!
MIKE RILEY WHO??
YEAH THAT'S WHAT I SAID TOO

- Faux Pelini

Mike Riley (Oregon State) to Nebraska... 502811600
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2014-12-04, 15:37

Floyd Robertson wrote:

Pinkel is the guy I thought Mich should of hired the last go around. Like Riley, he is now 62 and on the tail end of his career.

I like Riley, he puts out good football teams that have pulled some big upsets in the Pac12 (something Pelini never did) and he's done it with zero resources. Oregon State might have the least going for it than any Pac12 school. He'll pull Juco's to Nebraska, something they need to do now that they can't pull from Texas like they used to. But like Pinkel, he is someone you hire 4-5 years ago. And why pull the trigger so quick?

Is it an upgrade over Pelini? Yep. Both on the field and personality wise, it is. But it is also a safe hire.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken 2014-12-04, 15:40

Rocinante wrote:I've said before that I share a wall with a guy who is a Nebraska alum, plugged into the program, all that. His take on the firing of Bo is that is wasn't so much about the record, as it was about the personality. I mean, they WANT a guy who get's them to the B1G championship every year, they WANT to compete for national titles, but they understand that Bo's record wasn't far off. They seem to think it was his style and his emotional outbursts on the sideline that alienated him from his team and ultimately undermined their ability to take the next step. So although I don't know about Mike Riley's personality, I imagine it had as much to do with this hire as his record.

You mean like when he did this?

http://deadspin.com/bo-pelini-on-nebraska-fans-fuck-you-fans-fuck-all-o-1327398903
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tTito 2014-12-04, 16:19

Snake Plissken wrote:

http://deadspin.com/bo-pelini-on-nebraska-fans-fuck-you-fans-fuck-all-o-1327398903

The man made some moves that simply weren't carefully calculated.
tTito
tTito
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-12-04, 16:24

tTito wrote:

The man made some moves that simply weren't carefully calculated.
Like going on a rant in a room that he thought wasn't being recorded by someone with a cell phone?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-12-04, 16:35

I think Bo would do good at Rutgers. He has a Jersey vibe.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-04, 16:54

Snake Plissken wrote:

We're gonna find out if he was right.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-12-04, 17:00

Snake Plissken wrote:

Bo is a little crazy. Probably why he flunked the interview portion to become MSU's coach.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by 75alum 2014-12-04, 17:05

Never visit the Bunny Ranch drunk. Seems the chioce was too fast.
75alum
75alum
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-12-04, 19:18

This has got to be the case and they were just blowing smoke up our ass about 9 wins being unacceptable.
I don't know that Riley is terrible but his track record certainly doesn't support the notion that he is the guy that is going to take them to the next level.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2014-12-04, 19:19

WOTS says Nebraska got rejected by Beilema & Wittingham.
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2014-12-04, 23:58

The_Dude wrote:

At Oregon State....he is 6-2 in bowls.

Ever been to Corvalis?

No

Yep.  Love the Willamette Valley.  Just found it funny that they hired a 62 year old guy who has never lost less than 4 games in his life. Frank Solich not available?
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down