Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soccer vs Football - Cancer or Concussions?

2 posters

Go down

Soccer vs Football - Cancer or Concussions? Empty Soccer vs Football - Cancer or Concussions?

Post by Guest 2014-10-08, 19:09

Soccer coach Amy Griffin was in a Seattle hospital visiting a young goalie who was receiving chemotherapy when a nurse said something that made the hair on Griffin’s neck stand up.

It was 2009. Two young female goalies Griffin knew had been diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Griffin, associate head coach for the University of Washington’s women’s soccer team, had started to visit the women and other athletes in local hospitals, helping them pass the time during chemo with war stories from her three decades of coaching.

That day, the nurse looked down at the woman Griffin was sitting with and said, "Don't tell me you guys are goalkeepers. You're the fourth goalkeeper I've hooked up this week."

Since then, Griffin has compiled a list of 38 American soccer players -- 34 of them goalies – who have been diagnosed with cancer. At least a dozen played in Washington, but the geographic spread is nationwide. Blood cancers like lymphoma and leukemia dominate the list.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigations/how-safe-artificial-turf-your-child-plays-n220166
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Soccer vs Football - Cancer or Concussions? Empty Re: Soccer vs Football - Cancer or Concussions?

Post by InTenSity 2014-10-08, 23:00

That was longer than I thought it would be. 2 things stood out to me. Why is astroturf used? Monsanto is an evil ****ing company. If they're involved, I'm pretty sure it's unsafe.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Soccer vs Football - Cancer or Concussions? Empty Re: Soccer vs Football - Cancer or Concussions?

Post by CheesySpartan 2014-10-09, 09:05

InTenSity wrote:That was longer than I thought it would be. 2 things stood out to me. Why is astroturf used? Monsanto is an evil ****ing company. If they're involved, I'm pretty sure it's unsafe.

Well the short answer to your question is "money"...shit it's also the long answer. Come to think of it it's the answer to pretty much every question involving controversial products.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2014-10-09, 09:20

CheesySpartan wrote:

Well the short answer to your question is "money"...shit it's also the long answer.  Come to think of it it's the answer to pretty much every question involving controversial products.
Which is shitty, but fuck it, I just throw all ethics out the door when it comes to US business practices at this point. I'm a buyer, and I'm told to follow certain guidelines. Its hilarious to me, that when there is a shortage, all of those guidelines go out the door. Just do whatever it takes to get the product and we'll deal with the consequences later. If we short the customer than we will be out of jobs because they will replace us, at least according to senior VP's who don't have the balls to stand up to their customers.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down