Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Apparently if your team sucks, you actually do something about rape.

+6
MiamiSpartan
Cym Jim
Robert J Sakimano
StylesGShmooth
kingstonlake
Rocinante
10 posters

Go down

Apparently if your team sucks, you actually do something about rape. Empty Apparently if your team sucks, you actually do something about rape.

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-04, 11:51

http://archive.tennessean.com/article/20130915/NEWS01/309150082/Vanderbilt-examines-its-response-wake-rape-case

Florida State and the city of Tallahassee should be razed.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Apparently if your team sucks, you actually do something about rape. Empty Re: Apparently if your team sucks, you actually do something about rape.

Post by kingstonlake 2014-11-04, 12:06

Welcome to the NCAA
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Apparently if your team sucks, you actually do something about rape. Empty Re: Apparently if your team sucks, you actually do something about rape.

Post by StylesGShmooth 2014-11-04, 12:09

If you followed that story when it actually happened, last year, Vandy did not handle it very well. Franklin's now fled town, but his involvement was not good at all.

Also, the evidence is a bit overwhelming in this one as opposed to Winston's case.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-04, 12:19

StylesGShmooth wrote:If you followed that story when it actually happened, last year, Vandy did not handle it very well. Franklin's now fled town, but his involvement was not good at all.

Also, the evidence is a bit overwhelming in this one as opposed to Winston's case.

The timeline is pretty good as NCAA institutional justice goes. They separated 4 guys from the program pretty fast. The evidence in Winston's case was actually pretty compelling, until the corrupt police department got their hands on it. See the article I just linked to in the other thread.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-04, 12:26

And the evidence is overwhelming? really? The girl in question didn't file charges and continued dating one of the alleged assailants after the alleged rape occurred. The SCHOOL alerted the police because they found evidence by chance? That sounds like pretty ****ing on the ball.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-04, 12:36

ah, yes.. I recall our collective outrage and moral consistency regarding the Vanderbilt incident and allegations..

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by StylesGShmooth 2014-11-04, 13:27

Rocinante wrote:And the evidence is overwhelming? really? The girl in question didn't file charges and continued dating one of the alleged assailants after the alleged rape occurred. The SCHOOL alerted the police because they found evidence by chance? That sounds like pretty ****ing on the ball.

Well there was a video of the incidents as well as the text messages about attempting to cover it up? Pretty damning.

Franklin contacting her about recruiting and asking her to get other pretty girls to help bring guys in, days after the rape, is pretty fucked up, btw.

Also the reports of lots of phone records, text messages, DNA evidence & police interview records disappearing doesn't make it seem like Vandy was acting like some shining beacon of light in this.
StylesGShmooth
StylesGShmooth
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-04, 13:31

Dude. the evidence was turned over to the police BY THE U. If they'd not done that, the case likely never even sniffs daylight. Don't even compare the two.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-11-04, 13:38

Robert J Sakimano wrote:ah, yes.. I recall our collective outrage and moral consistency regarding the Vanderbilt incident and allegations..

The collective voice of the old board always seemed to take the side of "she's probably making it up or was asking for it" - that is, the mainstream conservative reaction to incidents involving women, people of color etc.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2014-11-04, 13:41

Hmmm, interesting point, and we need look no further than Ann Arbor to see it in action, as well, considering the timeline of Gibbons rape and when they decided to give a shit about it. They finally boot him at the end of last season season, after their season had taken a huge downward turn and the wheels were already coming off. Two years earlier, when the incident occurred, he was part of an 11 win team and would soon be kicking a winning field goal in the Sugar Bowl and cracking jokes about thinking of brunettes, so it was all brushed over then.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-04, 13:43

Bob's tired old schtick brings nothing to the table. Newsflash: you're not a moral beacon shining the light on hypocrisy that you think you are. Your act is boring.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2014-11-04, 13:47

And styles, fuck Franklin, he's a clown. I'm talking about the University's handling, which though not perfect, was pretty good.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-11-04, 13:55

Robert J Sakimano wrote:ah, yes.. I recall our collective outrage and moral consistency regarding the Vanderbilt incident and allegations..

The cases aren't very similar at all in how they were handled. The Vanderbilt case started when they accidentally stumbled upon dorm surveillance video of players hauling in a drunk girl a couple of days later. But I think they have videos and pictures from the players, including texts of their attempted cover-up. The players were questioned by the university and then immediately turned over to police. If the school wanted to cover this up it would have been very easy to do so. I don't think the girl had any idea of what had happened and was hesitant to cooperate when the police came to question her.

In FSU, the girl reported it that night and went through with the exam. She didn't even know who it was. Police did a half-assed investigation and never even sought video from the bar they were at. It wasn't until a month or so later that she identified Winston in a class. There were two other players that had videotaped it. But then the police department sent the case to the university athletic department before the prosecutor even had it. By the time they came to interview the players, they had already lawyered up and had identical sworn affidavits and by coincidence the video had been deleted and the phone destroyed. At that point the case was pretty much lost (if it wasn't already from the earlier shoddy police work).

Now you can insert your smart-ass comment. I have reason that I don't want to get into of why these rape cases get me fired up. Beyond that though I find it fascinating the lengths that some schools and even police departments would go to to cover something up. The fact that the FSU case involves a heisman trophy, national championship qb and a team that is currently fighting for a playoff spot no doubt make it more compelling.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Toe 2014-11-04, 14:03

Cym Jim wrote:
The collective voice of the old board always seemed to take the side of "she's probably making it up or was asking for it" - that is, the mainstream conservative reaction to incidents involving women, people of color etc.

Apparently if your team sucks, you actually do something about rape. 3434560931
Toe
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-11-04, 14:10

Rocinante wrote:Dude. the evidence was turned over to the police BY THE U. If they'd not done that, the case likely never even sniffs daylight. Don't even compare the two.

Part of the defense is that the university actually exceeded its bounds in their own investigation. The players were kicked out of school within days.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-11-04, 14:12

My first roommate in college called it Vanderblit.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-11-04, 14:16

Rocinante wrote:Bob's tired old schtick brings nothing to the table. Newsflash: you're not a moral beacon shining the light on hypocrisy that you think you are. Your act is boring.

+1
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2014-11-04, 14:18

Rocinante wrote:Bob's tired old schtick brings nothing to the table. Newsflash: you're not a moral beacon shining the light on hypocrisy that you think you are. Your act is boring.
You May Now Ignore Bob
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2014-11-04, 14:22

Herbie Green wrote:

The cases aren't very similar at all in how they were handled.  The Vanderbilt case started when they accidentally stumbled upon dorm surveillance video of players hauling in a drunk girl a couple of days later.   But I think they have videos and pictures from the players, including texts of their attempted cover-up.  The players were questioned by the university and then immediately turned over to police.  If the school wanted to cover this up it would have been very easy to do so.  I don't think the girl had any idea of what had happened and was hesitant to cooperate when the police came to question her.

In FSU, the girl reported it that night and went through with the exam.  She didn't even know who it was.  Police did a half-assed investigation and never even sought video from the bar they were at.  It wasn't until a month or so later that she identified Winston in a class.  There were two other players that had videotaped it.  But then the police department sent the case to the university athletic department before the prosecutor even had it.  By the time they came to interview the players, they had already lawyered up and had identical sworn affidavits and by coincidence the video had been deleted and the phone destroyed.  At that point the case was pretty much lost (if it wasn't already from the earlier shoddy police work).

Now you can insert your smart-ass comment.  I have reason that I don't want to get into of why these rape cases get me fired up.  Beyond that though I find it fascinating the lengths that some schools and even police departments would go to to cover something up.  The fact that the FSU case involves a heisman trophy, national championship qb and a team that is currently fighting for a playoff spot no doubt make it more compelling.  

Now why would you go and insert an object view into both situations, with reasoned thought, analysis, and opinion.  Isn't it just easier to be a contribution free dolt and make a smart ass, tired, regurgitated thought, over and over and over?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2014-11-04, 14:23

MiamiSpartan wrote:Hmmm, interesting point, and we need look no further than Ann Arbor to see it in action, as well, considering the timeline of Gibbons rape and when they decided to give a shit about it. They finally boot him at the end of last season season, after their season had taken a huge downward turn and the wheels were already coming off. Two years earlier, when the incident occurred, he was part of an 11 win team and would soon be kicking a winning field goal in the Sugar Bowl and cracking jokes about thinking of brunettes, so it was all brushed over then.

At least they did finally do something about it. It might have even been timely from the time the complaint was actually filed, although why that didn't happen until year(s) later raised a lot of questions.
You do I think need the accuser to move forward with it. I can't remember if she tried during all that time to go the Title IX route but I remember she was threatened and didn't want to deal with pressing charges.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2014-11-04, 14:36

kingstonlake wrote:

Now why would you go and insert an object view into both situations, with reasoned thought, analysis, and opinion.  Isn't it just easier to be a contribution free dolt and make a smart ass, tired, regurgitated thought, over and over and over?

Welcome to the NCAA
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tanfan! 2014-11-04, 17:47

Cym Jim wrote:

I gotta agree with the Brit on this one
tanfan!
tanfan!
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down