Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And now our beat writers are onboard. This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team

+27
Nordic
CORNER BLITZ
Giant Moose
NigelUno
GRR Spartan
DWags
Vlad
Robert J Sakimano
The_Dude
MiamiSpartan
SpartyScotty
Rocinante
Screw tRCMB
tanfan!
steveschneider
Wally Fairway
WhiteGreenShow
Other Teams Pursuing That
Heat Miser
HT
Stoops21
Watch Out Pylon!
duffy munn
Triple Sparty
Turtleneck
Travis of the Cosmos
InTenSity
31 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

And now our beat writers are onboard.  This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team Empty And now our beat writers are onboard. This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team

Post by Vlad 2015-09-28, 08:47

At least as things stand today.

Rexrode and Couch are onboard. In fact, Joe rips this team a new one in today's Freep, and tells the fans to get real.

Always a day late these guys. Must be the medium.

Anyway… It's good to be 4-0.  The national media is still behind us, sort of. There's time to fix the problems.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

And now our beat writers are onboard.  This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team Empty Re: And now our beat writers are onboard. This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team

Post by Giant Moose 2015-09-28, 08:53

For a fat guy, Rexrode isn't that jovial.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

And now our beat writers are onboard.  This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team Empty Re: And now our beat writers are onboard. This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-28, 08:56

meh.. MSU definitely looks beatable. But I haven't seen a team yet that looks invincible like maybe an Alabama of the past might have looked like. Ole Miss looked great early, beat Alabama in Tuscaoloosa but looked rather modest against Vandy. UCLA looks pretty tough - Ohio State looked better Saturday but definitely beatable. LSU has been winning but not in a convincing fashion. TCU needed a late score to pull it out. Georgia will be good - they've at least already beat two SEC teams.

So - truth is - yes, MSU has some glaring holes. But plenty of other 4-0 "contenders" do, as well. Luckily for their fans, MSU hasn't really had to play anyone yet and still doesn't at least for a few weeks.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-09-28, 08:58

I really disagree with Rexrode here.

The more pressing reality for the 4-0 Spartans: They're looking at multiple losses and a Jim Mora "Playoffs?" meme before they get to Ohio State, unless their defense does an about-face.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2015/09/27/michigan-state-spartans-defense/72954268/

MSU isn't losing multiple times before the Ohio State game. Our schedule is too easy to lose twice.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-09-28, 08:58

Just so we're clear. MSU is the only team that can't have a loss, right? That is pretty damn demanding and close to unrealistic.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-09-28, 09:01

Robert J Sakimano wrote:meh.. MSU definitely looks beatable. But I haven't seen a team yet that looks invincible like maybe an Alabama of the past might have looked like. Ole Miss looked great early, beat Alabama in Tuscaoloosa but looked rather modest against Vandy. UCLA looks pretty tough - Ohio State looked better Saturday but definitely beatable. LSU has been winning but not in a convincing fashion. TCU needed a late score to pull it out. Georgia will be good - they've at least already beat two SEC teams.

So - truth is - yes, MSU has some glaring holes. But plenty of other 4-0 "contenders" do, as well. Luckily for their fans, MSU hasn't really had to play anyone yet and still doesn't at least for a few weeks.

This guy gets it. Whoever he is.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-28, 09:02

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:meh.. MSU definitely looks beatable. But I haven't seen a team yet that looks invincible like maybe an Alabama of the past might have looked like. Ole Miss looked great early, beat Alabama in Tuscaoloosa but looked rather modest against Vandy. UCLA looks pretty tough - Ohio State looked better Saturday but definitely beatable. LSU has been winning but not in a convincing fashion. TCU needed a late score to pull it out. Georgia will be good - they've at least already beat two SEC teams.

This guy gets it. Whoever he is.
And now our beat writers are onboard.  This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team 502811600
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-28, 09:03

Agree, no other team is making a clear case for number two, so for the time being we might as well remain there.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-09-28, 09:13

Congrats, you've been Vladidated.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-09-28, 09:18

gHost Spartan wrote:I don't know why its so difficult to accept that we don't look like the #2 team in the nation right now, especially after Oregon completely disintegrated. Frankly, the team looks fucking awful, and I could see losses at Nebraska and Michigan before the Ohio State game, and possibly three losses for the year. I don't know, maybe they're just not inspired yet? I think a lot about Ohio State last season, especially the Penn State game, they looked so bad. But when they started playing real teams Urbz flipped the switch and they went into beast mode. Maybe the Spartans will do the same thing, I don't know, only time will tell.
What's your top 10?
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-09-28, 09:19

gHost Spartan wrote:I don't know why its so difficult to accept that we don't look like the #2 team in the nation right now, especially after Oregon completely disintegrated. Frankly, the team looks fucking awful, and I could see losses at Nebraska and Michigan before the Ohio State game, and possibly three losses for the year. I don't know, maybe they're just not inspired yet? I think a lot about Ohio State last season, especially the Penn State game, they looked so bad. But when they started playing real teams Urbz flipped the switch and they went into beast mode. Maybe the Spartans will do the same thing, I don't know, only time will tell.
Nebraska sucks. I don't know why people keep bringing them up as some sort of challenging game.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartyScotty 2015-09-28, 09:24

Vlad wrote:At least as things stand today.

Rexrode and Couch are onboard. In fact, Joe rips this team a new one in today's Freep, and tells the fans to get real.

Anyway… It's good to be 4-0.  The national media is still behind us, sort of. There's time to fix the problems.

Do us a favor and kill yourself.
SpartyScotty
SpartyScotty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-28, 09:27

Somewhat agree. I'm also hoping that maybe they're just playing down to the competition, and when the competition picks up, their effort will follow.

Out of the injury list we at least need to get Conklin and Price back. If hey miss extended time, I think 2 or 3 losses are likely.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-09-28, 09:29

Vlad wrote:

Somewhat agree. I'm also hoping that maybe they're just playing down to the competition, and when the competition picks up, their effort will follow.

Out of the injury list we at least need to get Conklin and Price back. If hey miss extended time, I think 2 or 3 losses are likely.
I have a feeling that Conklin will miss the next 2 weeks, but return for the um game. I think what we need back is Kieler more than Price. Hopefully Hicks can get back into shape, but mono is tough to recover from.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-28, 09:32

Keiler was still on crutches last Sat, so...
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-09-28, 09:33

Do you Google "MSU football sucks" every day or just on the weekends?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-28, 09:33

SpartyScotty wrote:

Do us a favor and kill yourself.

I would've considered your request, but now that our beat writers are with me, I think I'll stick around a bit longer.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-09-28, 09:35

OSU doesn't look like a #1 team. TCU doesn't look like a #4 team.

And now our beat writers are onboard.  This is not a #2 team, nor a playoff team 4198636888
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-28, 09:36

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Nope. All I need is my eyes and the SpartansXtra app.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-09-28, 09:37

Vlad wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Gonna need your picks in the Playoff Contest Thread. Thanks.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-09-28, 09:37

Unfortunately, it is going to be very difficult to "flip a switch" with the mounting injuries.

Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-28, 09:40

NigelUno wrote:OSU doesn't look like a #1 team. TCU doesn't look like a #4 team.

Agree, and this explains our current ranking as well. Someone has to occupy the top spots. Since no one is really making a strong case, might as well stay pretty close to what they started with in the preseason polls.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-09-28, 09:41

Vlad wrote:
Watch Out Pylon! wrote:

Your eyes told you that we wouldn't make the tournament last March also, right? I'd start getting a second opinion if I were you.
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-28, 09:52

gHost Spartan wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:
Nebraska sucks. I don't know why people keep bringing them up as some sort of challenging game.

Have you seen Armstrong? He's putting up good numbers and improved over last season. It's going to be a tough game. Keep in mind I'm not predicting a loss but I don't mark that game down as an automatic W, either.
anytime you go on the road in conference play, anything can happen.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-09-28, 09:52

Who looks like a playoff team?

Ole Miss? Bama turned the ball over 5 times when they played.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-28, 09:56

Watch Out Pylon! wrote:
Vlad wrote:

Nope. All I need is my eyes and the  SpartansXtra app.

Your eyes told you that we wouldn't make the tournament last March also, right? I'd start getting a second opinion if I were you.

Any opinion stated is only applicable 'til that point in time.  With all the "switches" that can potentially be turned on (or off), who knows what might happen going forward.  A perfect season is still on the table, just not likely.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-28, 09:56

NigelUno wrote:Who looks like a playoff team?

in my estimation, UCLA is probably the best team in the country right now, but they barely beat BYU. They still have to go on the road to Arizona State, Stanford, USC and Utah. Not sure they can run the table with that schedule.

Ole Miss is probably #2

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-09-28, 09:58

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

in my estimation, UCLA is probably the best team in the country right now, but they barely beat BYU. They still have to go on the road to Arizona State, Stanford, USC and Utah. Not sure they can run the table with that schedule.

Ole Miss is probably #2

Need your picks in the Playoff Projection Thread!
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-28, 10:00

Ole Miss?  Bama turned the ball over 5 times when they played.

Four weeks into the season, with the pre-season favorites still holding serve, you can only go with the default list.  So if the playoffs started tomorrow, I'd say OSU, MSU, TCU and Bama. Why not?

Have they earned it? Not necessarily, but we don't know any better yet.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-09-28, 10:05

Faith in coach D.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-09-28, 10:09

I agree. MSU is not a Juggernaut, but there is no dominant team in CFB this year. I do not know who the best four teams are right now let alone the best team. Nobody has separated themselves from the pack.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-09-28, 10:11

Vlad wrote:

Ole Miss?  Bama turned the ball over 5 times when they played.

Four weeks into the season, with the pre-season favorites still holding serve, you can only go with the default list.  So if the playoffs started tomorrow, I'd say OSU, MSU, TCU and Bama. Why not?

I guess I'm not following your thinking. You say MSU doesn't look like a playoff team, but you would pick them to be in the playoffs?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-28, 10:12

gHost Spartan wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:in my estimation, UCLA is probably the best team in the country right now, but they barely beat BYU. They still have to go on the road to Arizona State, Stanford, USC and Utah. Not sure they can run the table with that schedule.

Ole Miss is probably #2

ASU is terrible.
meh, anything can happen. That'll be a tough game on the road for UCLA.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-09-28, 10:14

A year ago at this time Oklahoma was ranked #3 and Ohio state was #22.

I guess what I'm saying is who the fuck knows what's gonna happen.

Go best Purdue. By however many you want to beat them by. It doesn't actually matter. Just win the games.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-09-28, 10:17

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
gHost Spartan wrote:

ASU is terrible.
meh, anything can happen. That'll be a tough game on the road for UCLA.

UCLA also has a true freshman QB. Adds a bit of "you never know" to their season, especially as we get deeper into conference.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-09-28, 10:22

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:meh, anything can happen. That'll be a tough game on the road for UCLA.

UCLA also has a true freshman QB. Adds a bit of "you never know" to their season, especially as we get deeper into conference.
yep. Out of all of the "contenders", they probably have the toughest road.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-09-28, 10:25

Vlad, how excited were you when you read Rexrode and Couch ? I bet you raced to your keyboard to pass on this "news".
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-09-28, 10:26

duffy munn wrote:Vlad, how excited were you when you read Rexrode and Couch ? I bet you raced to your keyboard to pass on this "news".

He had to jerk off first. It didn't take long though. 20 seconds tops after that news.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-09-28, 10:33

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
duffy munn wrote:Vlad, how excited were you when you read Rexrode and Couch ? I bet you raced to your keyboard to pass on this "news".

He had to jerk off first. It didn't take long though. 20 seconds tops after that news.

Probably worked it to a picture of Devin Gardner.

Just think about how many times a day Vlad with spank it if we actually lose a game.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-28, 10:50

NigelUno wrote:
Vlad wrote:

I guess I'm not following your thinking.  You say MSU doesn't look like a playoff team, but you would pick them to be in the playoffs

Not enough data available yet.  We're barely entering conference play.  So yeah, if the playoffs start tomorrow, go with the preseason favorites.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next