Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IT Guys... I need a change.

5 posters

Go down

IT Guys... I need a change. Empty IT Guys... I need a change.

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-11-10, 10:00

How do you go about finding a new job? Dice, Linkedin... whatever hasn't been serving me very well lately.

Anyone know of headhunters in the Lansing area? Hell, I would even drive to the northern/western Detroit burbs.

How do you go about it?
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

IT Guys... I need a change. Empty Re: IT Guys... I need a change.

Post by Kramerica 2014-11-10, 10:05

Head hunter / executive search firm is the way to go. They have the relationships with hiring managers, so your resume won't get bunched in with the other 100's if you applied online via monster, etc.

One word of caution, while the recruiter will sell you and your skills to the hiring manager, they will also sell the job to you. The job might not be all that but they want to get their commission, so they may make it sounds better than it actually is. Happened to me once.
Kramerica
Kramerica
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-11-10, 10:10

Kramerica wrote:Head hunter / executive search firm is the way to go. They have the relationships with hiring managers, so your resume won't get bunched in with the other 100's if you applied online via monster, etc.

One word of caution, while the recruiter will sell you and your skills to the hiring manager, they will also sell the job to you. The job might not be all that but they want to get their commission, so they may make it sounds better than it actually is. Happened to me once.

That's the thing... You need to get on the radar of a good headhunter before you can be subjected to those jobs. How do you find a good one?

Anyone know a good one in Midish-Michigan? Hell, I would drive from Lansing to Flint to Saginaw to the Northern Metro-D Area...
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Kramerica 2014-11-10, 10:19

I'd try networking to find an agency. Have any of your peers made a move recently? Ask around to friends and friends of friends. Possibly use LinkedIn to find someone. Networking is the key, I think.
Kramerica
Kramerica
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 2014-11-10, 10:36

http://www.impactbusinessgroup.com/Areas-Of-Expertise
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken 2014-11-10, 10:48

What's your specialty?
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-11-10, 13:04

Snake Plissken wrote:What's your specialty?

Well... I've done everything. Started in the Microsoft stack (Old VB, etc). Did a bunch of fat apps. That morphed into .net and ASP stuff. Developed and maintained Java, JSP. Have done everything on the development side of databases. Lately been playing with web technologies. html5, css3, jquery, etc. etc. etc. Have forgotten more program specific tools and APIs then most have dealt with. Web services. Uh. You name it. Plus project management, business analyst, etc.

Maybe that is half the problem. "specialty" is hard to nail down. Seems like that would be a plus to someone.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty 2014-11-10, 13:09

You should just consider a career change completely. You should show off your guns and abs and become a male stripper.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2014-11-10, 13:13

LoneWolfSparty wrote:You should just consider a career change completely. You should show off your guns and abs and become a male stripper.

I wouldn't want to steal all of your lady's affections. I'd feel bad for my lonely sad Spartan brethren with your ladies all up in my stuff and whatnot.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down