Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obsession: UM President Criticizes Emphasis on Athletics at UM

+8
Ted Brogan
DWags
Jake from State Farm
Floyd Robertson
SpartanInNH
Other Teams Pursuing That
Rod Porkmore
Turtleneck
12 posters

Go down

Obsession: UM President Criticizes Emphasis on Athletics at UM Empty Obsession: UM President Criticizes Emphasis on Athletics at UM

Post by Turtleneck 2014-11-11, 18:47

Schlissel says too many athletes admitted that are far too unprepared for college; says there is widespread disregard for the 20hrs per week limit on practicing. Are UM fans freaking out that this guy doesn't care nearly as much about wins/losses as his predecessors?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/11/mark-schlissel-athletics_n_6141364.html?&ir=Education&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000023
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Obsession: UM President Criticizes Emphasis on Athletics at UM Empty Re: Obsession: UM President Criticizes Emphasis on Athletics at UM

Post by Rod Porkmore 2014-11-11, 19:00

Here's hoping they become the Vanderbilt of the North.
Rod Porkmore
Rod Porkmore
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Obsession: UM President Criticizes Emphasis on Athletics at UM Empty Re: Obsession: UM President Criticizes Emphasis on Athletics at UM

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2014-11-11, 19:01

The dude is right
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2014-11-11, 19:07

Wait a minute -- you've missed a few salient points:

http://www.michigandaily.com/article/schlissel-talks-athletics-and-administration-sacua

“That’s why I’m taking a bit of time with the search for Dave [Brandon]’s successor,” Schlissel said. “Some folks wanted me to hire an athletic director (earlier) so he could fire the current football coach and hire the next coach but I want to take the time to make sure we get someone who is not only technically adept, but can ensure that the program has financial and academic integrity, and also someone who shares the value system of realizing our mission.

People have been saying all kinds of things about who I’m talking to about positions and this sports stuff, and they name names of people who I have no idea who they are,” Schlissel said. “I’ve really learned that this whole athletic sphere and the usual way you approach things just doesn’t work. It’s just a crazed or irrational approach that the world and the media takes to athletics decisions.

“It’s a time sink,” he added.

Schlissel emphasized that his greatest concern with the Athletic Department is its “diminishing connectedness” to the rest of campus, which he attributed to its size and financial stability, since it is financially independent from the University’s General Fund.

Schlissel said he understands these concerns and wants to work to make academics more of a priority for student-athletes by enforcing NCAA guidelines that cap the number of hours they can practice and compete.

“If I could wave my magic wand and really change things for these student-athletes, I would. The NCAA says 20.5 hours is the max, but it turns out nobody follows that,” Schlissel said. “There are ways that they work around it and if it was only us, it’d be ridiculous, I’d clean house, but it’s everybody.”

Shocked I might...like this guy. What that means for the next AD or football coach, I have no idea, but......
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2014-11-11, 19:08

Things are going better than I ever imagined.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH 2014-11-11, 19:11

And, BTW, yes, they are freaking out. Already a 4-page thread on MGoBlow.

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/schlissel-athletics-and-academics-ad-search-related
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-11-11, 19:13

SpartanInNH wrote:Wait a minute -- you've missed a few salient points:

http://www.michigandaily.com/article/schlissel-talks-athletics-and-administration-sacua

Shocked  I might...like this guy.  What that means for the next AD or football coach, I have no idea, but......

This will really rile the trailer park UM fans that consider a GED to be an over achievement.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jake from State Farm 2014-11-11, 19:16

SpartanInNH wrote:And, BTW, yes, they are freaking out. Already a 4-page thread on MGoBlow.

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/schlissel-athletics-and-academics-ad-search-related

I was under the impression that all of Hokes children or sons or whatever they are were graduating. Why would he want that to change?
Jake from State Farm
Jake from State Farm
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2014-11-11, 19:18

Do you guys realize how pissed Bobby Sak is gonna be in the morning? I hope you cleared this with him.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2014-11-11, 19:21

DWags wrote:Do you guys realize how pissed Bobby Sak is gonna be in the morning? I hope you cleared this with him.

I sent it to him via email. He made some edits and then signed off on the post. My message was Bob Sak approved.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ted Brogan 2014-11-11, 19:33

SCum should emulate UNC's approach to educating its student-athletes.
Ted Brogan
Ted Brogan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by beal99 2014-11-11, 19:47

Please turn into noethwestern
beal99
beal99
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2014-11-11, 21:15

beal99 wrote:Please turn into noethwestern

^This
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by 75alum 2014-11-11, 21:31

Looks like they got their John DiBaggio. Couldn't happen to a better place. And yes, Northwestern will be their direction only Schlissel will want more. Sweet!
75alum
75alum
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2014-11-11, 21:36

When their basketball program embarrassed the university, they let it die for awhile. They've had a few issues with the football program. Enough to make them pull back a bit? We'll see.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down