Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody listen to Serial (the podcast)?

+5
Cym Jim
Robert J Sakimano
SpartanInNH
Dr. Lou
Turtleneck
9 posters

Go down

Anybody listen to Serial (the podcast)? Empty Anybody listen to Serial (the podcast)?

Post by Turtleneck Thu 4 Dec 2014 - 20:33

Have been listening from the start. Good stuff. You can find it on iTunes and also here: http://serialpodcast.org/

If you listen, what are your thoughts? For the first 5 episodes I wavered, but am now leaning towards guilty with Jay being an accomplice from the start (and not just after the fact).

Last edited by Turtleneck on Sat 2 Jan 2016 - 11:41; edited 2 times in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Anybody listen to Serial (the podcast)? Empty Re: Anybody listen to Serial (the podcast)?

Post by Dr. Lou Thu 4 Dec 2014 - 20:55

Yep, been listening since the start and love it. Today's episode was interesting as we learned alot more about Gutierrez and the trial(s).

I think he did it, but I'm not confident in that at all. I'm not sure how the jury convicted him, the evidence seems suspect at best.

**SPOILER FROM EPISODE 10**

They said in today's podcast that the jury was polled after the mistrial, and although the case wasn't completely finished (a few more minor issues remained I guess), they likely would have found him not guilty. Based on that fact alone, there definitely is reasonable doubt in the case and shows just how crucial jury selection is in our court system.

**END SPOILER**

It's fascinating to listen to, so if you haven't listened to it, I'd highly recommend it. I've gotten 5 other people to start listening just in the past couple weeks, and they all got hooked and listened to the 9 episodes all in a row. It's addicting.
Dr. Lou
Dr. Lou
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Anybody listen to Serial (the podcast)? Empty Re: Anybody listen to Serial (the podcast)?

Post by Turtleneck Thu 4 Dec 2014 - 21:50

Dr. Lou wrote:Yep, been listening since the start and love it. Today's episode was interesting as we learned alot more about Gutierrez and the trial(s).

I think he did it, but I'm not confident in that at all. I'm not sure how the jury convicted him, the evidence seems suspect at best.

**SPOILER FROM EPISODE 10**

They said in today's podcast that the jury was polled after the mistrial, and although the case wasn't completely finished (a few more minor issues remained I guess), they likely would have found him not guilty. Based on that fact alone, there definitely is reasonable doubt in the case and shows just how crucial jury selection is in our court system.

**END SPOILER**

It's fascinating to listen to, so if you haven't listened to it, I'd highly recommend it. I've gotten 5 other people to start listening just in the past couple weeks, and they all got hooked and listened to the 9 episodes all in a row. It's addicting.

SPOILER STUFF [I really liked hearing about his lawyer. Until today, I was under the impression she was some kind of cheap lawyer handling a case way out of her league. I was really surprised when they started talking about how well known and respected she was in the legal community. I guess that means she was just too sick (or something else was going on) to handle such a big case. Today also cemented some things about the prosecution. It seems they were hell bent on getting this conviction, and they probably took some unethical steps to get there. The openly lying in court during the bail hearing, and getting Jay a lawyer are just a couple of example from today. But there have been others as well.] NO MORE SPOILER STUFF

I'm with you on the the did it but not confident thing. I am also with you on not being sure what the jury was thinking. There is plenty of reasonable doubt in the evidence we have been made aware of thus far.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Sat 6 Dec 2014 - 16:19

Just a question:
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Sun 7 Dec 2014 - 21:45

Don't know if you'll find it interesting or not, but there's only one way to find out.  This is a podcast...about the podcast.  From New Hampshire Public Radio.

http://nhpr.org/post/podcast-special-crime-writers-serial-episode-10-discussion?nopop=1
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 19:07

Key witness in "Serial" case says prosecutor suppressed testimony

Anybody listen to Serial (the podcast)? 276803595
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 19:11

I haven't..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 20:22

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I haven't..

Son, get with the program! Listen! It's a podcast -- you get to decide which jorts-wearing time of day you listen!
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 20:26

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I haven't..

Listen, here's a remix of the show's theme song. Sounds right up your alley, Bob!

Serial Theme Notorious B.I.G. Remix
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim Tue 20 Jan 2015 - 21:51

I listened to the first one. I found everyone kind of annoying, especially the host and the dude in jail. Does it get better?
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 8:10

SpartanInNH wrote:

Son, get with the program!  Listen!  It's a podcast -- you get to decide which jorts-wearing time of day you listen!  
Anybody listen to Serial (the podcast)? 502811600

I truly didn't even know what a podcast was.. then Fletch explained it to me in what was a very condescending way. I think he suspected I was just toying with him.. I had heard of a podcast but just had no idea what it actually was or how to go about listening to one.

after he explained it to me, I decided that it seemed like a lot of work..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Wed 21 Jan 2015 - 21:22

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
Anybody listen to Serial (the podcast)? 502811600

I truly didn't even know what a podcast was.. then Fletch explained it to me in what was a very condescending way. I think he suspected I was just toying with him.. I had heard of a podcast but just had no idea what it actually was or how to go about listening to one.

after he explained it to me, I decided that it seemed like a lot of work..

Rolling Eyes Or...you could just clicky the linky..... Serial - Season One Anybody listen to Serial (the podcast)? 55953254
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 11 Jan 2016 - 1:29

Anyone listen to the second season?
Other Teams Pursuing That
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 11 Jan 2016 - 1:31

Have not started it. Good?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Mon 11 Jan 2016 - 1:33

Have not started it. Good?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 11 Jan 2016 - 1:36

Turtleneck wrote:Have not started it. Good?

Just downloaded it, thinking about listening to the first ep before bed. I'm sure it's solid, just don't know if I'll get into it as much as the first hooked me. After serial s1 and making a murderer, I'm kind of mesmerized by murder and everything that comes with it - psychologically and the law side of it.

Her voice is fucking soothing.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 11 Jan 2016 - 1:45

I am not into the murder stuff too much. I can get into stories about the corruption and incompetence of the legal process, but I am not intrigued by the by the psychological stuff. I was really into the first season on Serial, but have not been into Making a Murder. Watched the first two episodes, but have not went back. Maybe it was because Serial was a podcast and the way the story was told was so fascinating. Making a Murder has a Dateline feel. It's way better, but has that feel.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 11 Jan 2016 - 1:54

http://www.thefrisky.com/2015-10-12/serial-update-we-need-to-talk-about-haes-boyfriend-don/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That Mon 11 Jan 2016 - 2:00

Turtleneck wrote:http://www.thefrisky.com/2015-10-12/serial-update-we-need-to-talk-about-haes-boyfriend-don/

Hmm. Meh.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartanInNH Mon 11 Jan 2016 - 19:35

Turtleneck wrote:http://www.thefrisky.com/2015-10-12/serial-update-we-need-to-talk-about-haes-boyfriend-don/

Anybody listen to Serial (the podcast)? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-WawS3gAZ8zRcqZE3cy9g2zg-i5MXr17mGyJKlA-jW6gN-Mz_6A
SpartanInNH
SpartanInNH
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty Mon 11 Jan 2016 - 19:43

Season 2 is not about murder. It's about a deserter. Bergdahl.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Mon 11 Jan 2016 - 19:56

Triple Sparty wrote:Season 2 is not about murder. It's about a deserter. Bergdahl.

We are still talking about season 1.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Fri 1 Jul 2016 - 14:35

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/06/30/484225226/adnan-syed-subject-of-serial-podcast-will-get-a-new-trial?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=us

New trial for Adnan Syed. Probably owes it to the work done for the podcast.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I.B. Fine Fri 1 Jul 2016 - 14:39

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
I'm kind of mesmerized by murder and everything that comes with it -

This explains a lot.

...and I think the kid is probably actually guilty, classic psychopath.
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down