Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Draymond & Co. were going to boycott

+4
NigelUno
LoneWolfSparty
Space Coyote
I Still Hate Weber State
8 posters

Go down

Draymond & Co. were going to boycott Empty Draymond & Co. were going to boycott

Post by I Still Hate Weber State Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:18 am

Draymond was one of a group of Warriors players that devised a plan to walk out at the tip of last night's game if Sterling's punishment was not severe enough. As always, Draymond is making MSU proud.

http://nba.si.com/2014/04/29/donald-sterling-warriors-boycott-walk-out-adam-silver-clippers/
I Still Hate Weber State
I Still Hate Weber State
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Draymond & Co. were going to boycott Empty Re: Draymond & Co. were going to boycott

Post by Space Coyote Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:22 am

I Still Hate Weber State wrote:Draymond was one of a group of Warriors players that devised a plan to walk out at the tip of last night's game if Sterling's punishment was not severe enough. As always, Draymond is making MSU proud.

http://nba.si.com/2014/04/29/donald-sterling-warriors-boycott-walk-out-adam-silver-clippers/

He then proceeded to pick up two fouls - neither of which appeared to be fouls - and didn't get a clear push in the back foul on a box out he had, and was forced to leave the game about 2 minutes in with foul trouble.

I know people complain a lot about college basketball refs, but in general, basketball is just a really difficult sport to referee, especially now with fans seeing everything up close in HD. But man, feel like the refs got him out of the game quickly last night.
Space Coyote
Space Coyote
Perioikos

http://breakdownsport.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Draymond & Co. were going to boycott Empty Re: Draymond & Co. were going to boycott

Post by Guest Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:59 am

I Still Hate Weber State wrote:Draymond was one of a group of Warriors players that devised a plan to walk out at the tip of last night's game if Sterling's punishment was not severe enough. As always, Draymond is making MSU proud.

Quitting at the beginning of a game wouldn't have made me proud. There had to be other options to make a statement.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:01 am

I don't get the boycott calls. Punish every fan, player, coach, official, etc not named Donald Sterling. That is dumb.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:07 am

Olberman did a piece on how players have threatened to boycott (among other things) in the past to effect change.

If the NBA did not act, the players would have walked.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I Still Hate Weber State Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:18 am

LooseGoose wrote:

Quitting at the beginning of a game wouldn't have made me proud.   There had to be other options to make a statement.

I don't look at it as quitting. The reality of it is that the NBA would not have forfeited the game in favor of the Clippers (who likely would have agreed to the walk out). Had the NBA not acted accordingly, then the players would have forced additional action. What other options do you think would have made a sufficient statement? Nothing else would have forced the NBA's hand.
I Still Hate Weber State
I Still Hate Weber State
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I Still Hate Weber State Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:20 am

LoneWolfSparty wrote:I don't get the boycott calls. Punish every fan, player, coach, official, etc not named Donald Sterling. That is dumb.

It's not about punishing anyone else. It would have been done in order to affect the change that was needed if the NBA had not taken the appropriate action. The NBA did, so no boycott of any kind was needed.
I Still Hate Weber State
I Still Hate Weber State
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:44 am

I Still Hate Weber State wrote:

It's not about punishing anyone else. It would have been done in order to affect the change that was needed if the NBA had not taken the appropriate action. The NBA did, so no boycott of any kind was needed.

Again. That has a ton of innocent collateral damage. And hurts Sterling zero by the way. He's already got this year's playoff money safely in pocket.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I Still Hate Weber State Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:48 am

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

Again. That has a ton of innocent collateral damage. And hurts Sterling zero by the way. He's already got this year's playoff money safely in pocket.

It hurts Sterling by forcing the NBA's hand. If the NBA had not banned him, you think teams boycotting playoff games wouldn't have forced additional action? You think employees wouldn't have been paid and fans wouldn't have been refunded had that happened?
I Still Hate Weber State
I Still Hate Weber State
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolfSparty Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:51 am

It hurts Sterling by forcing the NBA's hand. If the NBA had not banned him, you think teams boycotting playoff games wouldn't have forced additional action? You think employees wouldn't have been paid and fans wouldn't have been refunded had that happened?

Who knows. However because one guy is an insufferable racist doesn't mean that others should have to suffer. His comments had no bearing on the games, the fans that attend them, the employees that work them, etc. Mike and Mike were discussing if the NBA went far enough this morning. I was like "what more can they do!?!?"

The calls to boycott were idiotic. That's my opinion on the matter.
LoneWolfSparty
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:54 am

The boycott was going to take place if the NBA didn't come down appropriately in the eyes of the players. It would have meant to hurt the other owners and force their hand to do something more drastic. In the eyes of the players the NBA reacted responsibly, thus no boycott. It absolutely would have been done to hurt the other owners and fans.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by I Still Hate Weber State Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:58 am

LoneWolfSparty wrote:

Who knows. However because one guy is an insufferable racist doesn't mean that others should have to suffer. His comments had no bearing on the games, the fans that attend them, the employees that work them, etc. Mike and Mike were discussing if the NBA went far enough this morning. I was like "what more can they do!?!?"

The calls to boycott were idiotic. That's my opinion on the matter.

Like I said, I don't think any harm is ultimately done to fans/employees/etc. A players boycott would have been the only thing that could have forced the NBA to act had Silver not done what needed to be done.

Agree to disagree I guess.
I Still Hate Weber State
I Still Hate Weber State
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:31 am

What is so proud about quitting?
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by I Still Hate Weber State Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:22 am

Cosmo_Kramer wrote:What is so proud about quitting?

Again, I don't look at is as quitting. I look at is as being willing to take a stand for something he believed in even if it could cost him personally. People are acting like they were upset about a foul call and decided not to play.
I Still Hate Weber State
I Still Hate Weber State
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:38 am

Again, I don't look at is as quitting. I look at is as being willing to take a stand for something he believed in even if it could cost him personally. People are acting like they were upset about a foul call and decided not to play.

At the risk of being pilloried. I don't see this whole incident as earth shattering as many do. It was an 80 year man running his mouth on race, the fact is that a LOT of 80 year olds feel that way deep in their hearts, a product of their time. If you recall even President Obama's grandmother told him that seeing black kids walking down the street scared her. That doesn't make it right but it doesn't make him singularly evil either.

That all said I agree with the punishment and understand why the players would be upset.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:39 am

LooseGoose wrote:

At the risk of being pilloried.  I don't see this whole incident as earth shattering as many do.  It was an 80 year man running his mouth on race, the fact is that a LOT of 80 year olds feel that way deep in their hearts, a product of their time.  If you recall even President Obama's grandmother told him that seeing black kids walking down the street scared her.  That doesn't make it right but it doesn't make him singularly evil either.

That all said I agree with the punishment and understand why the players would be upset.

+1 for Pilloried
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:45 am

LooseGoose wrote:

At the risk of being pilloried.  I don't see this whole incident as earth shattering as many do.  It was an 80 year man running his mouth on race, the fact is that a LOT of 80 year olds feel that way deep in their hearts, a product of their time.  If you recall even President Obama's grandmother told him that seeing black kids walking down the street scared her.  That doesn't make it right but it doesn't make him singularly evil either.

I'd +1 if I had the ability to do so...
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:54 am

Cosmo_Kramer wrote:

I'd +1 if I had the ability to do so...
There's a like button below the avatar...
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cosmo_Kramer Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:56 am

InTenSityX wrote:
There's a like button below the avatar...

strange placement
Cosmo_Kramer
Cosmo_Kramer
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:05 pm

gHost Spartan wrote:LOL these players are all hypocrites. So is the NBA. And the NAACP. All of them knew Sterling was a racist slumlord but no one ever said or did anything. There are real victims out there without a voice / those who suffered from Sterling's discrimination. Now, the 80 year old guy says that he doesn't want his 30 year old gold digging girlfriend to give his rich buddies material to make fun of him by hanging with black dudes and they're all shocked and outraged LOL, ok guys.

Exactly. If you listen to the whole recording, that bitch was goading him into making those remarks. He kept trying to stop arguing with her, and she kept it up (all the while "consoling" him with, "here honey, why don't you have some juice" and shit). He was hurt that she kept putting instagram pics of herself with other dudes who just so happened to be black celebrities. He wanted her to stop posting pics of herself with other dudes. Is it cool or ok to be racist? **** no. But my god, shit gets so fucking blown out of proportion these days.
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down