Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Golf Thread

+47
AvgMSUJoe
Motown Spartan
tTito
I.B. Fine
Turtleneck
Floyd Robertson
Code_Warrior
msugolfguy
steveschneider
tGreenWay
Rocinante
Travis of the Cosmos
Tim Wakefield
DWags
Dr. Strangelove
aualum06
Watch Out Pylon!
Blaine Fabin
Triple Sparty
Other Teams Pursuing That
tanfan!
Robert J Sakimano
NigelUno
Wally Fairway
Frank Ricard
HT
Cym Jim
kingstonlake
Herbie Green
WhiteBoyHatcher
Sponge Worthy
maizegoblue
SBSpartan
Albert_Potato
gvsparty
Death Roe
Zeke4Heisman
Bronco_Bahma
MasonGuy
duffy munn
ancientspartan
tKid
dubie7006
Winger1
Bizarro Fletch
JackTalkThai
InTenSity
51 posters

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

The Golf Thread - Page 15 Empty Re: The Golf Thread

Post by tGreenWay 2021-07-02, 00:24

Pointless article and a cheap shot, but Phil should be bigger than this. It’s beyond old news, and that’s all he had to say. He’s become a giant in the game in the 23 years since, and this should’ve been water off a duck’s back. At least Mickelson knows what it feels like to get MSU treatment.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

steveschneider likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-07-02, 06:49

tGreenWay wrote:Pointless article and a cheap shot, but Phil should be bigger than this. It’s beyond old news, and that’s all he had to say. He’s become a giant in the game in the 23 years since, and this should’ve been water off a duck’s back. At least Mickelson knows what it feels like to get MSU treatment.

Couldn’t agree more.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-07-02, 10:15

tGreenWay wrote:Pointless article and a cheap shot, but Phil should be bigger than this. It’s beyond old news, and that’s all he had to say. He’s become a giant in the game in the 23 years since, and this should’ve been water off a duck’s back. At least Mickelson knows what it feels like to get MSU treatment.

Journalism is dead. It’s hateful.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-07-02, 10:32

DWags wrote:

Journalism is dead. It’s hateful.

Yep, the industry is in a death spiral. I'm just glad Phil wasn't subjected to Rob Parker.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2021-07-02, 10:45

steveschneider wrote:Why punish Rocker Mortgage and the city of Detroit over the Det News article?

He's at a point in his career where he can pick and choose events.

DetNews made it easy for him not to pick this one anymore.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

CORNER BLITZ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-07-02, 12:09

NigelUno wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Why punish Rocker Mortgage and the city of Detroit over the Det News article?

He's at a point in his career where he can pick and choose events.

DetNews made it easy for him not to pick this one anymore.

Yeah, and the editor Chad Livengood on twitter going after Phil as well. Not a good day for the Det News. Looked at Tony Paul's twitter as well dude is out covering the tour and gets like 1 to 2 likes per tweet.

I did see Mike Sullivan tweeting back and forth with Phil. Sullivan was trying to raise money for Phil. Interesting day for golf and the city of Detroit.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-07-14, 09:45

I have some golf results to report.

Indian Hills shot a 47
Groesbeck 108 (they had us start out on the back 9, it was hot as fuck and I shot terrible, broke 50 on the back 9)
Pine Hills Laingsburg shot a 100 (I'll self report I had a very early tee time and had to do a breakfast ball I was so tight...second shot wasn't that much better I had to punch out)
Groesbeck front 9 shot a 50
IndianHills shot a 48.

Out of all those outtings I took a breakfast ball in Laingsburg and that was it. Played legit golf. On hole 17 I missed a 2 foot put for birdie and the last hole absolutely devoured me. I would have broke 100 otherwise.

I will say this, Indian Hills is a really fun round. It's quick and the course looks great. I love the tree lined holes, the shade and the gardens.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-07-14, 15:46

steveschneider wrote:I have some golf results to report.

Indian Hills shot a 47
Groesbeck 108 (they had us start out on the back 9, it was hot as fuck and I shot terrible, broke 50 on the back 9)
Pine Hills Laingsburg shot a 100 (I'll self report I had a very early tee time and had to do a breakfast ball I was so tight...second shot wasn't that much better I had to punch out)
Groesbeck front 9 shot a 50
IndianHills shot a 48.

Out of all those outtings I took a breakfast ball in Laingsburg and that was it. Played legit golf. On hole 17 I missed a 2 foot put for birdie and the last hole absolutely devoured me. I would have broke 100 otherwise.

I will say this, Indian Hills is a really fun round. It's quick and the course looks great. I love the tree lined holes, the shade and the gardens.

I thought I already commented on this but will try again.

Well done fucking Steve but bear in mind those are among the easiest course you can play in the area. Can I ask which tees ( or total course distance) you played? Good thing is you now have a more realistic idea of where your game stands.

also remember that same game at Hawk Hollow, Akers West or Timber Ridge is likely in the mid 120's. Or higher. Either way keep grinding. It's the greatest game.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2021-07-14, 15:52

Played the fortress in Frankenmuth today, probably the nicest taken care of course I've played
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-07-14, 16:02

duffy munn wrote:
steveschneider wrote:I have some golf results to report.

Indian Hills shot a 47
Groesbeck front 9  shot a 50
IndianHills shot a 48.

I thought I already commented on this but will try again.

Well done fucking Steve but bear in mind those are among the easiest course you can play in the area. Can I ask which tees ( or total course distance) you played? Good thing is you now have a more realistic idea of where your game stands.

also remember that same game at Hawk Hollow, Akers West or Timber Ridge is likely in the mid 120's. Or higher. Either way keep grinding. It's the greatest game.

Played the white tees. Didn't think Pine Hills was that easy to be honest. The last two holes were tough and the rough with all the clover in it made it tough to find balls.

Indian Hills is easy but man that's a fun course to play. I though there was one par 3 at Groesbeck that was pretty damn tough, you had to hit uphill over water and I think it was about 195.

I also think if you give me a range to warm up on I take about 2-4 strokes off my score. That day at Groesbeck if the conditions weren't so hot and it wasn't so log jammed and I'm warmed up I think I finish around 100. My best day I break it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-07-14, 16:04

aualum06 wrote:Played the fortress in Frankenmuth today, probably the nicest taken care of course I've played

I'll keep that in mind for my next visit. I really enjoy the golf in Michigan.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-07-14, 16:11

One note about my score at Greosbeck the day I shot a 50. I was well on my way to shooting under 50. They had a crew in the middle of the fairway working on draining some standing water. I know golf is mental but that killed me. I was going to hit right behind them and the guy was telling me to go ahead without moving. Entire shot I was worried I'd hit one and it completely fucked me up. I accept the score I shot but that was a very unusual circumstance I don't face often. Looking back the correct answer imo was to recognize I'm tense and anxious and just use one of my easier clubs like a PW and just settle for a good safe advance of the ball.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2021-07-14, 17:11

aualum06 wrote:Played the fortress in Frankenmuth today, probably the nicest taken care of course I've played

It's pretty good. Played about five times. Kind of a blah layout but I can appreciate that they take care of it.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 2021-07-14, 17:19

kingstonlake wrote:

It's pretty good. Played about five times. Kind of a blah layout but I can appreciate that they take care of it.

Yeah it's definitely a tight course and all the holes are kind of the same. I work with a guy that mows the greens so got a deal and that's a step up in course quality for me
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-17, 09:08

Increased my yardage on my drive significantly. Turn the hips first folks. Group I golfed with I had three drives that got ‘wows’ from the group. Getting about 280 - 290.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-08-17, 09:27

steveschneider wrote:Increased my yardage on my drive significantly. Turn the hips first folks. Group I golfed with I had three drives that got ‘wows’ from the group. Getting about 280 - 290.

Turn the hips first? Sorry fucking Steve but this will lead to some wildly inaccurate shots
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-17, 09:34

duffy munn wrote:
steveschneider wrote:Increased my yardage on my drive significantly. Turn the hips first folks. Group I golfed with I had three drives that got ‘wows’ from the group. Getting about 280 - 290.

Turn the hips first? Sorry fucking Steve but this will lead to some wildly inaccurate shots

Of course there’s always a room for a bad shot. It’s definitely increased my power. I will concede it probably hasn’t lowered my score. I still get down with about the same amount of strokes if my drive was forty yards shorter.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2021-08-17, 10:09

steveschneider wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Of course there’s always a room for a bad shot. It’s definitely increased my power. I will concede it probably hasn’t lowered my score. I still get down with about the same amount of strokes if my drive was forty yards shorter.

I've played with a ton of guys who can bomb it but have zero idea where it's going. It's fun to watch when they nut one 300 yards in the fairway 3 out of 20 times but the other 17 usually lead to double, triple or worse. In other words fucking Steve, stop turning the hips first and work on getting the ball in play and then in the hole.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-17, 10:16

duffy munn wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I've played with a ton of guys who can bomb it but have zero idea where it's going. It's fun to watch when they nut one 300 yards in the fairway 3 out of 20 times but the other 17 usually lead to double, triple or worse. In other words fucking Steve, stop turning the hips first and work on getting the ball in play and then in the hole.

I'm far from a mistake free golfer but these drives were good and I had a decent shot from the ball positions off the drive. It was one of those days where I was on with that club. My big problem Saturday was without a doubt the chipping and one hole ate me alive. A par five up a steep hill, undulated green and a narrow tree lined fairway. Shot a 12 on it but my drive was good.

If you have any instruction you'd recommend for wedge shots about 20 yards out I'm all ears. I could definitely use it.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2021-08-17, 10:21

steveschneider wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

I'm far from a mistake free golfer but these drives were good and I had a decent shot from the ball positions off the drive. It was one of those days where I was on with that club. My big problem Saturday was without a doubt the chipping and one hole ate me alive. A par five up a steep hill, undulated green and a narrow tree lined fairway. Shot a 12 on it but my drive was good.

If you have any instruction you'd recommend for wedge shots about 20 yards out I'm all ears. I could definitely use it.
I use an 8 iron from 20 yards out depending on the lie. If its in the fairway without any obstruction to the green, definitely a bump and run. In the rough to get over sand traps, I've had some success, if the ball isn't a tight light on the ground, of getting a flop shot over. Putting is another option, if the fairway is nice and not uphill the whole way.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-08-17, 10:29

I have a 64 degree that’s glorious from about 20 yards out. If you hit it right, it’s going to be basically impossible to hit it longer than like, I dunno, 35 ish yards. Pretty much just stops where it lands also. The only issue I have with it is when I’m like 10 yards out, in the rough and there’s a hill or a trap between me and the green, so I need that club, but it’s easy to pull back too much on the throttle and end up hitting it 3 feet
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2021-08-17, 10:43

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I have a 64 degree that’s glorious from about 20 yards out. If you hit it right, it’s going to be basically impossible to hit it longer than like, I dunno, 35 ish yards. Pretty much just stops where it lands also. The only issue I have with it is when I’m like 10 yards out, in the rough and there’s a hill or a trap between me and the green, so I need that club, but it’s easy to pull back too much on the throttle and end up hitting it 3 feet

I’d hit it and it would go directly to the right and miraculously role forty mor yards.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2021-08-17, 10:46

InTenSity wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

I use an 8 iron from 20 yards out depending on the lie. If its in the fairway without any obstruction to the green, definitely a bump and run. In the rough to get over sand traps, I've had some success, if the ball isn't a tight light on the ground, of getting a flop shot over. Putting is another option, if the fairway is nice and not uphill the whole way.

I definitely try to keep loft out of the equation whenever I can. I think I got that off a Rick Shiels video. I definitely use my 8 iron a lot for shots like that.

@Travis the 64 sounds crazy. I do a similar shot with my 60 from about 40 yards out. When it works the ball goes really high and just bombs straight down to the green.

From about 20 yards out I still have moments where I get down 4 strokes. Three putting and screwing up chips is a problem.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-08-17, 11:07

64 pretty much is always going to come straight down at the green, unless you skull it like wags in which case it will not. It’s very helpful to not have to say to yourself things like “I need to hit this at about 50% power wait no 45% we’ll let’s make it 47.5%” then actually hit it at 65%. For the most part with that thing I just use my normal swing
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-09-08, 09:13

anyone got any course suggestions around metro detroit?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-09-08, 09:19

Metro Detroit is a big place bro. Lot of good courses but the first one that popped in my mind was links of novi
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-09-08, 09:22

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Metro Detroit is a big place bro. Lot of good courses but the first one that popped in my mind was links of novi

yeah, i've played that. pretty tight fairways and nice. just looking to play tomorrow mid-day and was browsing tee times so hoping to find one
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-09-08, 09:31

Tanglewood down the street from there is good too.

I think. I’ve only been there once. At a certain point they blend together a bit
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2021-09-08, 09:35

i've settled on Shepherd's Hollow travis
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-09-08, 09:42

Never been, let me know
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-09-08, 09:47

I went golfing up north (depending on your definition) at shanty creek this weekend. All 3 courses were really nice and had some unique and fun challenges that you don’t get around here. Mostly having to do with the various elevation changes they can bring into play there.

One that sticks out was a fairway shot to a thin green that was well below you, with a large bunker in the front and a huge downslope behind the green that ushers your ball straight into the woods. That one sticks out mostly because I nailed it.

That said, 54 holes of golf, but I chipped in from about 25 yards on 1, which I knew was always going to be the best thing I did all weekend, and I was right.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-09-08, 10:28

Travis did you get your pga card?
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-09-08, 10:35

tGreenWay wrote:Travis did you get your pga card?

No, we played in a group of 5 so to not be the tremendous assholes that slowed everything up (and also so we didn’t get forced to separate like they did after the first 6 holes the first day) we mostly played 3 on 2 scrambles

That first hole was an all me birdie though, so that’s nice.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2021-09-08, 10:37

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I went golfing up north (depending on your definition) at shanty creek this weekend. All 3 courses were really nice and had some unique and fun challenges that you don’t get around here. Mostly having to do with the various elevation changes they can bring into play there.

One that sticks out was a fairway shot to a thin green that was well below you, with a large bunker in the front and a huge downslope behind the green that ushers your ball straight into the woods. That one sticks out mostly because I nailed it.

That said, 54 holes of golf, but I chipped in from about 25 yards on 1, which I knew was always going to be the best thing I did all weekend, and I was right.
Shanty and Schuss have 5 courses now. Shanty, Legend, Cedar River, Shuss Mnt and Hawks Eye. Which 3 did you play? I like all of them and actually played Shanty for the first time in probably 20 years. My daughter was able to play 9 holes on that course. I didn't get to play Cedar River this year though, just didn't work out.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-09-08, 10:44

Hawks eye, cedar river, and schuss mountain. Listed in my my ranking order.

Schuss was fine, and if you plop it in metro Detroit it’s a really well maintained course, so don’t get me wrong. It just didn’t feel quite as nice as the other two
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2021-09-08, 11:15

I'm trying to think what course you are talking about with the green that is protected by the bunker and slopes down after. I didn't get to play the back 9 at Schuss, but don't recall a green like that. It's probably Hawkseye, but that course in general is tough. If you remember, jog my memory for me.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-09-08, 11:40

It was hawkseye and I want to say it was like 12 or so
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-09-08, 11:47

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
tGreenWay wrote:Travis did you get your pga card?

No, we played in a group of 5 so to not be the tremendous assholes that slowed everything up (and also so we didn’t get forced to separate like they did after the first 6 holes the first day) we mostly played 3 on 2 scrambles

That first hole was an all me birdie though, so that’s nice.

That’s awesome. Congratulations on getting your pga card.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2021-09-08, 11:47

Looking at the map I’m pretty confident it was 6. The pin was right between those two bunkers, and that rough area in front of the green is just a downslope all the way to it

The Golf Thread - Page 15 593ad610
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2021-09-08, 11:50

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Hawks eye, cedar river, and schuss mountain. Listed in my my ranking order.

Schuss was fine, and if you plop it in metro Detroit it’s a really well maintained course, so don’t get me wrong. It just didn’t feel quite as nice as the other two

This is silly. Golf courses aren’t like houses, Travis; you can’t just pick one up and move it somewhere else. Man, the pga will let anybody in.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next