Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Golf Thread

+47
AvgMSUJoe
Motown Spartan
tTito
I.B. Fine
Turtleneck
Floyd Robertson
Code_Warrior
msugolfguy
steveschneider
tGreenWay
Rocinante
Travis of the Cosmos
Tim Wakefield
DWags
Dr. Strangelove
aualum06
Watch Out Pylon!
Blaine Fabin
Triple Sparty
Other Teams Pursuing That
tanfan!
Robert J Sakimano
NigelUno
Wally Fairway
Frank Ricard
HT
Cym Jim
kingstonlake
Herbie Green
WhiteBoyHatcher
Sponge Worthy
maizegoblue
SBSpartan
Albert_Potato
gvsparty
Death Roe
Zeke4Heisman
Bronco_Bahma
MasonGuy
duffy munn
ancientspartan
tKid
dubie7006
Winger1
Bizarro Fletch
JackTalkThai
InTenSity
51 posters

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17

Go down

The Golf Thread - Page 17 Empty Re: The Golf Thread

Post by InTenSity 2022-05-10, 17:09

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:How many scores do i need to submit in one Of these apps to get a handicap established? I’ve read 3 or 5 on the net and still don’t have one on this app i downloaded
Maybe 10? Or 8.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Other Teams Pursuing That likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2022-07-15, 17:50

Coming to Michigan at the end of next week.  Any course I should check out near grand rapids? 
I might play somewhere in the Lansing Jackson area on the 23rd. 
Finally broke 90 again,  my arm is working.  My putting has been on point lately.  Last round 34 putts. 
If anyone is in the traverse area between the 24th and August 5 and wants to golf,  lemme know.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2022-07-15, 18:30

InTenSity wrote:Coming to Michigan at the end of next week.  Any course I should check out near grand rapids? 
I might play somewhere in the Lansing Jackson area on the 23rd. 
Finally broke 90 again,  my arm is working.  My putting has been on point lately.  Last round 34 putts. 
If anyone is in the traverse area between the 24th and August 5 and wants to golf,  lemme know.

If you're around Jackson check out The Grand. Cool track right off of 127 near Clark Lake. Go to the Beach Bar after for pizza and tomato soup.

Congrats on the sup 90 round and the putting, My putting sucks. Last week at league I hit 7 greens. And shot 43.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2022-07-24, 14:28

Since dwags is so obsessed with me, I played at Seguin Valley in Canada this week. The whole course was gorgeous, but this was the one you’ll remember. I had the right distance on my club but got all excited and pulled it off to the right and ended up just in the water over there.

The Golf Thread - Page 17 IMG_1222

And here’s a picture I took myself. This is a 220 yard par 4, you can just see a sliver of the green behind those trees on the left. Obviously, only playing there probably the once ever, you go for it. I did not get it. Which is fine. The right way (which I did second rather than taking a drop because again, once ever) to play it is that very narrow fairway with an easy chip into the green from there. Cool stuff.

The Golf Thread - Page 17 F4554b10
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

InTenSity and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-15, 11:30

What are some of the uo north golf resort options? It is my duty to organize this summers up north golf trip with the dudes. This is the second time, the first time we went to shanty creek. So must options outside of that are on the table. Obviously there’s boyne, treetops, but what other ones should I look into?
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-01-15, 11:45

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:What are some of the uo north golf resort options? It is my duty to organize this summers up north golf trip with the dudes. This is the second time, the first time we went to shanty creek. So must options outside of that are on the table. Obviously there’s boyne, treetops, but what other ones should I look into?
Here's a list of Up North courses YooperGolf.com
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-15, 11:47

The Pantry wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:What are some of the uo north golf resort options? It is my duty to organize this summers up north golf trip with the dudes. This is the second time, the first time we went to shanty creek. So must options outside of that are on the table. Obviously there’s boyne, treetops, but what other ones should I look into?
Here's a list of Up North courses YooperGolf.com

For the purposes of this conversation up north is defined as anywhere an hour north of where any of us live where our children are not present for a few days and I am not interested in debating this.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2023-01-15, 12:21

I heard things about garland.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Travis of the Cosmos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-01-15, 12:43

Manistee has two courses. Manistee national is pretty good and they’ve got two courses on the Manistee national. One of them is a lot tougher than the other but both are pretty nice. They also have a course at the Manistee country club that overlooks Lake Michigan. Wow the view is nice when you get to those holes the course isn’t as challenging or as nice. Get your ass up there go to some cool restaurants downtown look at the bridge I illegally jumped off of as a kid. Enjoy yourself.

* this message brought to you by the Manistee chamber of commerce
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-01-15, 12:48

And yes, if you feel like spending a crap ton of money, you are driving distance to Arcadia Bluffs
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-15, 13:39

I should maybe mention that the only time we’ve done this was a bachelor party (mine) and we’re more or less looking to do the same thing. We had a condo that slept all of us, there was a bar nearby, and everyday we played 18.

So like the golf is the whole thing, except it’s in a way secondary. We’d like the courses to be nice and somehow memorable, but the accommodations are just as important because more than half the time we’ll be drunk or high doing whatever that isn’t golfing.

Let’s put it this way- 3 of the 6 regularly golf. 1 guy does once or twice a year. The other two do when we go on one of these trips and that’s it (we’ll be playing scrambles with those two on each team. The team that has two guys that regularly play will almost always win)
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-15, 13:51

kingstonlake wrote:I heard things about garland.

Oh that does seem to be generally what I’m looking for. Sent them an email. Thx
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-01-15, 15:19

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I should maybe mention that the only time we’ve done this was a bachelor party (mine) and we’re more or less looking to do the same thing. We had a condo that slept all of us, there was a bar nearby, and everyday we played 18.

So like the golf is the whole thing, except it’s in a way secondary. We’d like the courses to be nice and somehow memorable, but the accommodations are just as important because more than half the time we’ll be drunk or high doing whatever that isn’t golfing.

Let’s put it this way- 3 of the 6 regularly golf. 1 guy does once or twice a year. The other two do when we go on one of these trips and that’s it (we’ll be playing scrambles with those two on each team. The team that has two guys that regularly play will almost always win)

Well then, you and your drunk whore friends need to stay out of Manistee county. We live a pure life up there.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-15, 15:25

We are indeed drunk whores. Mainstee sounds like the kind of ideal gods country for us to shit all over. I’ll keep it in mind. Arcadia bluffs is out though, 3 of the guys would appreciate it enough to pay all that money
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2023-01-15, 15:33

i enjoyed tree tops. seems nice enough but not too nice as you're looking for
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-01-15, 16:26

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:We are indeed drunk whores. Mainstee sounds like the kind of ideal gods country for us to shit all over. I’ll keep it in mind. Arcadia bluffs is out though, 3 of the guys would appreciate it enough to pay all that money
Hit Pine Trace in Rochester Hills.  Has sort of an Up North vibe without driving hundreds of useless miles pretending you went Up North.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-15, 16:36

The Pantry wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:We are indeed drunk whores. Mainstee sounds like the kind of ideal gods country for us to shit all over. I’ll keep it in mind. Arcadia bluffs is out though, 3 of the guys would appreciate it enough to pay all that money
Hit Pine Trace in Rochester Hills.  Has sort of an Up North vibe without driving hundreds of useless miles pretending you went Up North.

Pantry. My guy. I don’t care if you suggested we go to Ohio. Let’s just put it this way- anywhere outside of a 70 mile radius metro Detroit or lansing is acceptable

And anything north of the zilwaukee is up north get over it
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-01-15, 16:41

kingstonlake wrote:I heard things about garland.

The resort is first class. Great restaurant and bar on site and the rooms are nice. Really no reason to leave the complex.

While golf courses are beautifully maintained, I don't care for the layouts. Swamp Fire will murder your non golfer buddies. Blind shots, water everywhere and fast greens. Let's put it this way, they have a shack in the middle of the golf course ( I think like the 13th hole) that doesn't sell beer or food. It sells golf balls.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

kingstonlake likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-01-15, 16:42

The Pantry wrote:

Is that a resort?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2023-01-15, 17:21

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
The Pantry wrote:

Pantry. My guy. I don’t care if you suggested we go to Ohio. Let’s just put it this way- anywhere outside of a 70 mile radius metro Detroit or lansing is acceptable

And anything north of the zilwaukee is up north get over it
https://thumbwind.com/upper-thumb-golf-courses/
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2023-01-15, 21:49

I know you said you did shanty already,  but let me tell you why to do it again. 
Shorts is right there,  so you have a great brewery. 
Shanty has 4
5 courses,  if that's not enough go to a GA ming.  
I dunno,  I'm super biased, as I worked on that area and find the golfing to be some of the best for the price.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-01-15, 22:28

InTenSity wrote:I know you said you did shanty already,  but let me tell you why to do it again. 
Shanty has 4
I dunno,  I'm super biased, as I worked on that area and find the golfing to be some of the best for the price.

You know I might as well get a price from them and let the dudes decide. We all had a ton of fun and personally I wouldn’t be opposed to going to the same place
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2023-01-16, 00:32

also pine trace sucks
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-01-16, 07:10

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:i enjoyed tree tops. seems nice enough but not too nice as you're looking for

Par 3 is fun, and great for guys who only occasionally play.

Jones course can beat you up a bit if you can't hit it straight. The courses have a good up north feel to them (elevation changes, trees, views).

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by AvgMSUJoe 2023-01-16, 10:31

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
InTenSity wrote:I know you said you did shanty already,  but let me tell you why to do it again. 
Shanty has 4

You know I might as well get a price from them and let the dudes decide. We all had a ton of fun and personally I wouldn’t be opposed to going to the same place
I second the shorts suggestion. Have no clue about the golf.
AvgMSUJoe
AvgMSUJoe
Geronte
Geronte

Location : As stupid and vicious as men are, this is a lovely day.

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2023-06-20, 18:25

Garmin s70. I want it. I have the s62. I'll sell it for $200 on this board. It's a great watch for golf.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-06-20, 18:30

I have a garmin, couple of years old, but I have an apple watch now and just use the 18 birdies app. I only used the garmin for yardages, and tracking distances on drives. The app doesn’t do the second part, but I can do a bit of simple math for that. I brought both watches out for a couple of rounds and the yardages were the within a yard or two each time, so I think the watch is retired now unless I decide to get into some of the other features on it. 

Played eagle eye again yesterday. Went on a nice little run, parring 4 of 5 holes, which was nice. Bogeys and doubles the rest of the way. Tough course.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2023-06-20, 18:36

I Get it. I like getting more than the yardage. Things like the wind speed, the distance it plays at, the analytics. The club tracking. The heart rate, sleeping cycles. It's a fun toy.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-06-20, 18:45

Honestly, I think I didn’t explore it enough. I know it does stuff with tracking yardages for each club you use and things like that, but I just never tinkered with it. Since I use the Apple Watch for every other part of life now (it lets me know that my heart rate spikes when I see “latest post: greenway” on my phone which is a nice feature), I don’t know if it makes sense to use the garmin just for golf. I tried to play one hole with one on each wrist, but no sir I did not like that.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2023-07-17, 08:37

Golfing in the Philippines.  Caddies are great! Rental clubs are... occasionally frustrating but I'm having a great time. The pics I have aren't that great,  but I'll share. I think I shot a 91 from the blue. I didn't take a few penalties because the drivers are about 10 years old. I couldn't even swing the 3 or 4.
The Golf Thread - Page 17 20230714
The Golf Thread - Page 17 20230715
The Golf Thread - Page 17 20230716
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Travis of the Cosmos, duffy munn and kingstonlake like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2023-07-31, 22:32

Gonna switch back to the garmin. Haven’t found an app that proves reliable for the Apple Watch.

Anyway maybe duff can speak to this a bit. I went out to willow wood in Portland today. All of the review sites out there have it very highly ranked so I wanted to give it a go. It was… fine. Like, it wasn’t bad by any means. Nice enough. But it wasn’t anything to write home about. I dunno I guess I expected a bit more given the reviews.

Started out pretty rough for me. The first 7 or so we’re not friendly at all to lefties, with kinda tight trouble down the left side and wide open right. But that got better as I went, and I got my slice under control.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2023-07-31, 23:18

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Gonna switch back to the garmin. Haven’t found an app that proves reliable for the Apple Watch.

Anyway maybe duff can speak to this a bit. I went out to willow wood in Portland today. All of the review sites out there have it very highly ranked so I wanted to give it a go. It was… fine. Like, it wasn’t bad by any means. Nice enough. But it wasn’t anything to write home about. I dunno I guess I expected a bit more given the reviews.

Started out pretty rough for me. The first 7 or so we’re not friendly at all to lefties, with kinda tight trouble down the left side and wide open right. But that got better as I went, and I got my slice under control.
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Gonna switch back to the garmin. Haven’t found an app that proves reliable for the Apple Watch.

My Saturday morning, nicknamed Golf O Rama, gets out there at least a couple of times a summer. I agree it is just ok. It used to be a lot cheaper and was worth it for 30 bucks. Now they are getting 45, making it less than ok
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2023-11-19, 17:16

The Golf Thread - Page 17 Img_6910

41 46 at TPC Scottsdale today. Terrific course
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

InTenSity and duffy munn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2023-11-19, 17:24

The Golf Thread - Page 17 Img_6911
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

InTenSity, duffy munn and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2023-12-02, 08:51

If they make golf balls so that your driving distance decreases, I’ve swung my last club I think.

[tw]1730768750897664120?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2023-12-02, 10:10

DWags wrote:If they make golf balls so that your driving distance decreases, I’ve swung my last club I think.

[tw]1730768750897664120?s=46&t=o_-92Ldle66XHQBlJVUMFQ[/tw]

Hit from the Senior Tees!
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-05-02, 17:03

Inten, et al.  What are your thoughts on this?   I mean, I don't really care I guess one way or the other, but I have friends who are really passionate about this.  

Thoughts?

[tw]1785989992352784890[/tw]
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2024-05-02, 18:29

I'm not really following. Did the last guy say he's not planning on qualifying? If he's ranked 624 I don't think he's qualify anyway. I'm not a fan of LIV. I don't like that the PGA blinked. In the end, Bob is right, mostly rich white guys.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2024-05-02, 19:05

InTenSity wrote:I'm not really following. Did the last guy say he's not planning on qualifying? If he's ranked 624 I don't think he's qualify anyway. I'm not a fan of LIV. I don't like that the PGA blinked. In the end, Bob is right, mostly rich white guys.

Evidently he’s a liv champion winning north of 50 million and I guess he feels he shouldn’t have to qualify
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2024-05-02, 19:10

DWags wrote:
InTenSity wrote:I'm not really following. Did the last guy say he's not planning on qualifying? If he's ranked 624 I don't think he's qualify anyway. I'm not a fan of LIV. I don't like that the PGA blinked. In the end, Bob is right, mostly rich white guys.

Evidently he’s a liv champion winning north of 50 million and I guess he feels he shouldn’t have to qualify

He didn't "win" 50 million. He took the filthy Saudi money to join their tour. The latest LIV money list shows he's made 2.8 million.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 17 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 15, 16, 17