Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One and Done Factories Duke and Kentucky - How come Coach K gets a pass?

+8
Rodeo Burger
Dr. Strangelove
GRR Spartan
Ass Dan
WhiteBoyHatcher
Turtleneck
Marc Summers
steveschneider
12 posters

Go down

One and Done Factories Duke and Kentucky - How come Coach K gets a pass?  Empty One and Done Factories Duke and Kentucky - How come Coach K gets a pass?

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-05, 11:56

All season the media and Spartan fans really went after Kentucky and Coach Cal calling them cheaters, saying they're ruining the game for turning their program into an NBA farm system and making education secondary. I understand why, but the silence and lack of outrage towards Coach K makes me wonder why Duke gets a pass?

The way Duke operates mirrors Kentucky's. I read an article where Coach K was selling his experience of working on team USA and with Lebron to show these kids that he knows what it takes to make these kids high draft picks. He's just as interested in the rental players as Cal and Duke is about as big an NBA minor league team as Kentucky. In fact if Duke was in the SEC and they swapped schedules with Kentucky they'd probably be looking at 40-0 right now. Because of the three rental players he's landed for one semester of college Duke is the favorite to get by Wisconsin and give Coach K another title.

Also, Spartan fans should probably be more livid with Coach K than Cal. He's beaten us for Parker, Okafur and Jones selling them quick exits to the NBA. If we had Parker I think we have another championship banner, and if we have Okafur I think we repeat. It's just as hard competing with Coach K as it is competing with Cal when both of them are selling high draft picks over an education. My take is it's lazy work on the fans and the media by not holding Duke to the same criticisms that kentucky endured all season long, and by not doing so they are upholding the perception of Duke over reality.

Fuck Dook!

Basketball
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

One and Done Factories Duke and Kentucky - How come Coach K gets a pass?  Empty Re: One and Done Factories Duke and Kentucky - How come Coach K gets a pass?

Post by Marc Summers 2015-04-05, 11:57

Because Duke still has a couple legit student athletes who play. Kentucky has zero.
Marc Summers
Marc Summers
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

One and Done Factories Duke and Kentucky - How come Coach K gets a pass?  Empty Re: One and Done Factories Duke and Kentucky - How come Coach K gets a pass?

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-05, 12:02

Marc Summers wrote:Because Duke still has a couple legit student athletes who play. Kentucky has zero.

The three one and dones are what's going to hang the banner, and by beating out other schools for their services by offering a quick exit to the NBA it's exactly like Kentucky.

Cauley-Stein and the Harrison twins and Lee were all major contributors....just like Duke, Kentucky had what you call 'legit students'.

You are supporting my argument, there's a perception about Duke where they get a pass.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-04-05, 12:15

My goodness, you should win a physics award for something to do with density.

We have been over this before. Probably 3685358647897533236780 times. If you want to stay at Duke for one year or four, Coach K is happy. The problem is not about one-and-dones. Stop listening to Jay Bilas, who always leaves out key details to make his point.

If you want to stay at Kentucky for four years and earn a degree, Cal does not want you. He reportedly told Ulis to go elsewhere if he wants a degree. Cal oversigns and has to make sure players leave before their eligibility. He and the administration at the University of Kentucky piss all over the purpose of a university. Somehow this will escape you and you just fixate on one-and-dones.

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2015-04-05, 12:33; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-05, 12:24

Turtleneck wrote:My goodness, you should win a physics award for something to do with density.

I guess Duke gets a pass then. Next year we'll hear more of the same about Cal, and the usual silent acceptance when it comes to Duke's one and done program.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-04-05, 12:28

Can you prove that Coach K has ever cheated? Cuz I can prove Cal has committed major violations, multiple times with a couple of keystrokes.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-05, 12:30

Turtleneck wrote:My goodness, you should win a physics award for something to do with density.

We have been over this before. Probably 3685358647897533236780 times. If you want to stay at Duke for one year or four, Coach K is happy. It is not about one-and-done. Stop listening to Jay Bilas. If you want to stay at Kentucky for four years and earn a degree, Cal does not want you. He reportedly told Ulis to go elsewhere if he wants a degree. Cal oversigns and has to make sure players leave before their eligibility. He and the administration at the University of Kentucky piss all over the purpose of a university. Somehow this will escape you and you just fixate on one-and-done.

Oh I see you have more of a response....

You have a point, but really come on turtleneck. Both are selling early exits, the similarities are there. Kentucky has a returning core of players aka students just like Duke. Yeah, Cal may be happy to see them go but the truth is they returned.

Three players at Duke are rushing to the NBA after this year, and Duke was just a farm system for those three players. I just find it interesting that for some reason K gets a pass. I think the MAIN difference between the two is Coach K is more careful with his words to the press about what it is, and Cal is looser about it. More transparent and the press and fans are more ready to pounce on kentucky and afraid to challenge what Duke is. the two really are more similar than different, its a classic case of perception vs. reality.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-05, 12:34

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Can you prove that Coach K has ever cheated? Cuz I can prove Cal has committed major violations, multiple times with a couple of keystrokes.

Easily...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/22170661/ncaa-duke-faces-no-punishment-in-lance-thomas-jewelry-case

Imagine if that was done at Ohio State or Kentucky, or UNC or Syracuse...the story would be a different story and people would be crying 'lack of institutional control'. It's really a perception vs. reality thing, Duke just always seems to get a pass. There's a Salon article about all the rule bending around academics Duke did in the 90's. They just seem to get a pass because everyone thinks Duke is a stanford.

Last edited by steveschneider on 2015-04-05, 12:38; edited 1 time in total
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-04-05, 12:37

Do you do this on purpose, or are you normally impossible to communicate with? How long did you argue with your elementary school teachers that 1+1 is not 2?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-05, 12:41

Turtleneck wrote:Do you do this on purpose, or are you normally impossible to communicate with? How long did you argue with your elementary school teachers that 1+1 is not 2?

Well if they beat Wisconsin, lets all give Duke a pass and just enjoy Coach K getting another ring and congratulate his one and dones - I mean 'students' before they go into the draft along with Kentucky's players. Coach K 'does it the right way' because Okafur, Jones and Winslow can all come back in stay in school if they want to. LOL!
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-04-05, 12:47

Like I said, you're welcome to stay four years at Duke. Not so much at UK. Somehow that is way too deep for you to grasp. Then again, I'm dealing with an MSU fan that spends most of his time criticizing Izzo but praising an average coach like Cal.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 2015-04-05, 14:21

Using Matt Jones as an example when he has no NBA prospect and is a sophomore.

Steve is the least knowledgeable poster on this board.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-04-05, 17:23

Duke has never faced major NCAA sanctions like Kentucky.

Until recently UNC appeared to be an above board program and then that damned lady prof had to open her mouth.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 2015-04-05, 17:29

Of course Duke cheats - you don't get recruits out of Chicago without paying somebody off. And when player like Lance Thomas can drop $100k on jewelry and the NCAA doesn't find any evidence of a violation of course they're getting looked out for.

And don't forget Myron Piggie and Maggette.
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-04-05, 20:33

Don't get me wrong, I believe Duke is playing the game, too. But my point is people are not going to hold K up to Calipari as a PROVEN CHEATER until he is actually proven to cheat and condemned for it, wins vacated, etc. There's definitely some smoke but I'm guessing the general public has no clue about any of that shit.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2015-04-05, 21:44

Izzo was after many of those OAD's that you named. And if they came here, maybe we'd have another title, but either way, they'd be gone from MSU after a year.

Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-04-05, 22:34

Must land Winston for 2016
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-04-05, 23:56

I think Steve is right by accident here. Cal has pulled the wool over everyone's eyes with the focus on the one and done. The guy is a master salesman and crooked as hell.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-04-06, 00:53

According to friends of mine, who've been in the program as student-athletes... Cal is pretty blatant about money. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten caught at Kentucky based on the some of the first hand stories I've heard.

Haven't heard anything like that from Coach K, but I know Izzo doesn't think too highly of him for anything but what he's accomplished... and based on some of those attributes that he finds distasteful, takes losing to them pretty hard because Izzo is the opposite... just as person, as a man... than Coach K is. Izzo has that "tough guy" attitude whereas it seems Coach K uses the "work smart so you don't have to work hard" approach.

I'm not sure if you can fault a guy for taking that approach but Izzo seems to..... again, just according to friends who've worked intimately with him (no homo)... I don't know the guy so I'm just going off of their assessments.

Anyways... I think that's why Coach K gets a pass... those kids gotta go somewhere. Why not Duke? It's better (from K's standpoint) than Cal getting only the top 3 of 10 rather than 6 of the top 10.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2015-04-06, 01:07

xsanguine wrote:According to friends of mine, who've been in the program as student-athletes... Cal is pretty blatant about money. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten caught at Kentucky based on the some of the first hand stories I've heard.

Haven't heard anything like that from Coach K, but I know Izzo doesn't think too highly of him for anything but what he's accomplished... and based on some of those attributes that he finds distasteful, takes losing to them pretty hard because Izzo is the opposite... just as person, as a man... than Coach K is. Izzo has that "tough guy" attitude whereas it seems Coach K uses the "work smart so you don't have to work hard" approach.

I'm not sure if you can fault a guy for taking that approach but Izzo seems to..... again, just according to friends who've worked intimately with him (no homo)... I don't know the guy so I'm just going off of their assessments.

Anyways... I think that's why Coach K gets a pass... those kids gotta go somewhere. Why not Duke? It's better (from K's standpoint) than Cal getting only the top 3 of 10 rather than 6 of the top 10.
What? I guess K and Izzo put on some amazing acting all week long. They basically sucked each other off in every interview/presser they did.
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-04-06, 01:18

By-Tor wrote:
xsanguine wrote:According to friends of mine, who've been in the program as student-athletes... Cal is pretty blatant about money. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten caught at Kentucky based on the some of the first hand stories I've heard.

What? I guess K and Izzo put on some amazing acting all week long. They basically sucked each other off in every interview/presser they did.

I don't think it's to the point of bad mouthing about him to the press.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by By-Tor 2015-04-06, 01:42

xsanguine wrote:
By-Tor wrote: What? I guess K and Izzo put on some amazing acting all week long. They basically sucked each other off in every interview/presser they did.

oh. so it's at the point of lying to the press about all of the admiration and how coach K does it the right way and what very good friends their wives are?
By-Tor
By-Tor
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by xsanguine 2015-04-06, 01:59

By-Tor wrote:
xsanguine wrote:

oh. so it's at the point of lying to the press about all of the admiration and how coach K does it the right way and what very good friends their wives are?

I don't believe I've ever heard anything to contradict a lack of admiration or how well Coach K runs Duke's program or their wives being on good terms, no.
xsanguine
xsanguine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down