Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It was the refs

+8
Bizarro Fletch
CheesySpartan
InTenSity
Other Teams Pursuing That
Frank Ricard
Herbie Green
Snake Plissken
NigelUno
12 posters

Go down

V.I.P It was the refs

Post by NigelUno 2015-04-07, 22:25

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/04/07/duke-really-did-get-all-the-foul-calls-in-the-2015-ncaa-tournament/?hpid=z4
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

V.I.P Re: It was the refs

Post by Snake Plissken 2015-04-07, 22:33

"The result: Duke was whistled for 26 fewer fouls than their foes in the NCAA tournament and shot 50 more free throws. Your eyes did not deceive you. Duke really did get all the foul calls during this postseason. Were they the right calls? That’s a different question, one that will haunt Bo Ryan and Badgers fans all summer long"
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-04-07, 22:48

Should we go through all of UW's historical fouling data while we are at it?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Snake Plissken 2015-04-07, 22:51

Herbie Green wrote:Should we go through all of UW's historical fouling data while we are at it?
I was at that game. Duke got called for nothing yet got away with everything
Snake Plissken
Snake Plissken
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-04-07, 22:55

Herbie Green wrote:Should we go through all of UW's historical fouling data while we are at it?

You can. Just in the games we got screwed though.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-04-07, 22:57

Snake Plissken wrote:
I was at that game. Duke got called for nothing yet got away with everything

Coach K complained about the calls at halftime. Then the calls seemed to start going Duke's way.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-04-07, 23:03

NigelUno wrote:

You can. Just in the games we got screwed though.

March 1 - UW 12 free throws, MSU 4
BTT - UW 17, MSU 9

Total 2015 - 29 free throws for UW, 13 for MSU
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-04-07, 23:10

UW 51 free throws, MSU 37
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-04-07, 23:13

2013 free throws

UW 33, MSU 21
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-04-07, 23:15

Should I keep going, or are you starting to get the picture?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2015-04-07, 23:58

If I post in this thread, do I get the fancy VIP thing?
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2015-04-07, 23:59

cheers
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-04-08, 00:38

Lol herbie that still doesn't change anything about duke.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-04-08, 05:24

Wis. State JournalVerified account @WiStateJournal
Staff photographer @WSJmpking captured Duke's Justise Winslow's finger on the ball before it went out. #Badgers

It was the refs CCADfTlXIAABkgv
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-04-08, 07:19

LooseGoose wrote:Wis. State JournalVerified account @WiStateJournal
Staff photographer @WSJmpking captured Duke's Justise Winslow's finger on the ball before it went out. #Badgers

It was the refs CCADfTlXIAABkgv

You could see his finger move on the replay. I don't think refs like looking at replay. I thought I heard yesterday they claimed they didn't have all the replays the TV did.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-04-08, 07:23

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Lol herbie that still doesn't change anything about duke.

Suspect
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-04-08, 08:40

I don't recall the last time people were looking this closely at the reffing. I wonder if the NCAA cut it a bit too close in handing ratface another NC, and they are scrambling. For the head of officiating to say he had a chance to call the refs back, but didn't want to upset the balance of the game, is a weird thing to say. The whole game was odd, especially when ratface looked into the camera and called out the refs, like he was sending a message to someone out there, instead of looking at the reporter who asked the question.

John Adams wrote:However, after the officials left the monitor and made their ruling, Adams said he saw the zoomed-in view of the ball clearly touching Winslow’s finger.

At that point he had the opportunity to quickly make a decision.

“I saw it after they had left the monitor, and actually thought about, is it in my prerogative to get up, run over to the table, buzz the buzzer, and tell them to come back and look?” Adams said. “That’s how critical I thought the play was and concluded that this is a job for the guys on the floor. I’ve never done it before. Why would I do it tonight and perhaps change the balance of the game?”
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CheesySpartan 2015-04-08, 09:10

It was the refs CAKxsSTUcAA3xxn

I'm just going to leave this here...its the epitome of karma.
CheesySpartan
CheesySpartan
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2015-04-08, 09:31

CheesySpartan wrote:It was the refs CAKxsSTUcAA3xxn

I don't get any satisfaction out of Wisky getting jobbed by the refs just because they have historically benefited from friendly whistles. We should all be pissed at the state of officiating in college basketball. This is a multi billion dollar enterprise and the NCAA entrusts it to 60 year old out of shape dudes who teach high school Algebra during the day. That system may have worked OK pre-Magic/Bird, but it's criminal that it's still in place all these years later.

The incompetence and inconsistency is absolutely blatant, and yet all most people in the media want to talk about is a shorter shot clock.

I've said for a while that it would take a disastrous performance by officials in the Final Four to really wake people up to the need for change, but I doubt little old Wisconsin getting jobbed will do it. It will take a Duke or UK losing on a terrible call or series of calls to finally bring about some change.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-04-08, 09:32

It is a shame you guys aren't enjoying this. This seems almost identical to the Big Ten Championship game with UW on the other end.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-04-08, 10:42

Coaches are now exploiting and manipulating the shit out of bad officiating. Look at Tyus just jump right into a defender who's just touching him with his arms straight up and then his flop. Both are perfect examples of how rat face teaches his team to game the broken system.

And when you can recruit the best talent and still coach that way, it's game over.

K exposed himself when he said in the halftime interview we need to get Wisconsin to foul.

The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-04-08, 10:44

Herbie Green wrote:It is a shame you guys aren't enjoying this. This seems almost identical to the Big Ten Championship game with UW on the other end.

I'm enjoying the hell out o it. I won $450 because Dook won it all. I enjoy Bo's tears very much. All you have to do is think of the hose jobs we've had against him. I'm glad he will never win a natty and be viewed as Izzo's peer.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2015-04-08, 10:46

Herbie Green wrote:It is a shame you guys aren't enjoying this. This seems almost identical to the Big Ten Championship game with UW on the other end.

What is there to enjoy? We get screwed out of a banner because of incompetence so it's funny when someone else does too?

I don't get any satisfaction out of college basketball being little more than a game of roulette where you have to rely on chance to save you from getting hosed by horrendous officiating. Especially when teams like Duke only have to dodge the green 0 instead of all of the reds or blacks like everyone else does.

And I'm sorry for bringing race into this.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-08, 10:57

Bizarro Fletch wrote:

I don't get any satisfaction out of Wisky getting jobbed by the refs just because they have historically benefited from friendly whistles. We should all be pissed at the state of officiating in college basketball. This is a multi billion dollar enterprise and the NCAA entrusts it to 60 year old out of shape dudes who teach high school Algebra during the day. That system may have worked OK pre-Magic/Bird, but it's criminal that it's still in place all these years later.

The incompetence and inconsistency is absolutely blatant, and yet all most people in the media want to talk about is a shorter shot clock.

I've said for a while that it would take a disastrous performance by officials in the Final Four to really wake people up to the need for change, but I doubt little old Wisconsin getting jobbed will do it. It will take a Duke or UK losing on a terrible call or series of calls to finally bring about some change.

I don't know, I think the bad officiating adds to the folksy-ness and the charm of the game. The experience of being able to see your algebra teacher on tv making a terrible call means that algebra teacher cares as much about the game as you do. I'd hate it if the NCAA started shelling out big time cash for pro referees making college ball more and more like the NBA D league.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-04-08, 11:14

Bizarro Fletch wrote:

I don't get any satisfaction out of Wisky getting jobbed by the refs just because they have historically benefited from friendly whistles.  We should all be pissed at the state of officiating in college basketball.  This is a multi billion dollar enterprise and the NCAA entrusts it to 60 year old out of shape dudes who teach high school Algebra during the day.  That system may have worked OK pre-Magic/Bird, but it's criminal that it's still in place all these years later.  

I've said for a while that it would take a disastrous performance by officials in the Final Four to really wake people up to the need for change, but I doubt little old Wisconsin getting jobbed will do it.  It will take a Duke or UK losing on a terrible call or series of calls to finally bring about some change.

Part time officials with teaching jobs keep their mouths shut and do as they're told. Calling games on the level isn't what the NCAA is interested in. Selling tickets, merchandize, TV spots, and advertising keeps the money rain rolling.
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-04-08, 14:09

Bizarro Fletch wrote:

What is there to enjoy? We get screwed out of a banner because of incompetence so it's funny when someone else does too?

I don't get any satisfaction out of college basketball being little more than a game of roulette where you have to rely on chance to save you from getting hosed by horrendous officiating. Especially when teams like Duke only have to dodge the green 0 instead of all of the reds or blacks like everyone else does.

10 years of UW being on the other end of this. This is what every team that plays them feels like, including MSU in the Big Ten Title game. I dont remember UW having a problem with things then. One game against Duke and the MSU fanbase turned into a bunch of Wisconsin slapdicks.
Don't give me this "bad for the game" bullshit. Bad officiating has been going on in basketball since the day you were born, because what you really mean is your team lost and you want to cry like a little bitch about it.
The UW players and coaches were crying nonstop after dealing with this one time in their career. You don't see MSU players acting like that after experiencing the same thing against Duke two days earlier.
If you actually "cared about the game" you would actually get some satisfaction out of the end of the stupid myth that "UW doesn't foul". UW finally gets the same treatment as everyone else and they can't deal witb it and act like babies. This is also the same UW fanbase that has had a bug up its ass about Izzo for 18 years. Jim Rome was playing a soundbite all last week from bitter UW chick saying how much she hates Izzo because "he is such a whiner". Now the shoe is on the other foot and I am enjoying the hell out of it. Why this MSU fanbase sold out and missed this story is beyond me. I guess it is Duke butthurt?!
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-04-08, 15:33

To quote Bo Ryan after he beat Ohio State, 'But there was that time four years ago when Ohio State star freshman Jared Sullinger said he was spit on while leaving the court after a loss at Wisconsin, and Ryan's response to the situation was, "All we is know is, we won the game. Deal with it."
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizarro Fletch 2015-04-08, 16:08

Herbie Green wrote:
Bizarro Fletch wrote:

10 years of UW being on the other end of this. This is what every team that plays them feels like, including MSU in the Big Ten Title game. I dont remember UW having a problem with things then. One game against Duke and the MSU fanbase turned into a bunch of Wisconsin slapdicks.
Don't give me this "bad for the game" bullshit. Bad officiating has been going on in basketball since the day you were born, because what you really mean is your team lost and you want to cry like a little bitch about it.
The UW players and coaches were crying nonstop after dealing with this one time in their career. You don't see MSU players acting like that after experiencing the same thing against Duke two days earlier.
If you actually "cared about the game" you would actually get some satisfaction out of the end of the stupid myth that "UW doesn't foul". UW finally gets the same treatment as everyone else and they can't deal witb it and act like babies. This is also the same UW fanbase that has had a bug up its ass about Izzo for 18 years. Jim Rome was playing a soundbite all last week from bitter UW chick saying how much she hates Izzo because "he is such a whiner". Now the shoe is on the other foot and I am enjoying the hell out of it. Why this MSU fanbase sold out and missed this story is beyond me. I guess it is Duke butthurt?!

I don't know what most of this rant is about, but I do know that "Meh, that's how it's always been" doesn't fly as an excuse for me. As I said above, college basketball is a multi billion dollar enterprise now. Wisky getting jobbed doesn't make me feel an ounce better about the times MSU got jobbed.

This may be a novel thought, but how about we just fix the refereeing so we can see who the best team in the country is based on talent and coaching, instead of hoping teams that jobbed us get jobbed themselves?

Also, I urge you to suffer through a few NBA games if you think college officiating is as good as it can be. I may hate the style of play in the pros, but there's no denying the quality of the refs is light years ahead of the college game.
Bizarro Fletch
Bizarro Fletch
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-08, 20:06

Bizarro Fletch wrote:

Agree too much money being made for this shit. Hell we don't have this problem in college football and that game seems more ripe for terrible calls
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down