Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Membership in the MSUAA is now going to be FREE

+4
Blanch32
Giant Moose
Other Teams Pursuing That
MiamiSpartan
8 posters

Go down

Membership in the MSUAA is now going to be FREE Empty Membership in the MSUAA is now going to be FREE

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-04-29, 12:33

The $500 I paid for life membership some 15-16 years ago has already paid for itself and then some with hotel and car rental discounts, but if I had recently signed up I'd be kind of pissed.

Current life members do still get permanent recognition as "Spartan Loyal", which is my second biggest personal honor after my status as a Geronte.

A lot of you probably received the e-mail, but if not, here it is....

Greetings from East Lansing! As a current life member of the MSU Alumni Association (MSUAA), I wanted to inform you of an exciting evolution in our membership program.

On July 1, 2016, membership in the MSU Alumni Association (MSUAA) will no longer be fee-based, signaling a new model that welcomes each and every Spartan. As part of this transition, the university is also acknowledging alumni and friends who contribute at least $100 annually between July 1 and June 30 to the college or program of their choice. In appreciation of this investment, MSU will consider all of these donors as Spartan Loyal and they will receive enhanced services and recognition.

Here is what this change means for you:

The fact that you invested in the MSUAA as a life member demonstrates that you understand the long-term importance of financial support to the institution. We value and respect the financial investment that you’ve made, and we are committed to honoring it moving forward. All MSUAA life members will be considered permanent Spartan Loyal donors and will receive the associated services and recognition, regardless of whether they make annual contributions.

Until June 30, 2016 you may use your existing membership card to access MSUAA’s member benefits. Each July beginning in 2016, you’ll be able to download a new Spartan Loyal card from the MSU Alumni Association website to access Spartan Loyal services and recognition for the next twelve months.

Although your services and recognition will remain the same regardless, I hope that you will consider making additional financial commitments to support the outstanding research, teaching and student development at Michigan State University.

Our frequently asked questions will help answer questions you may have about this transition. Should you have additional questions, please feel free to contact MSU Alumni Association Marketing Director Maria Giggy by email at giggym@msu.edu or by calling 877-MSU-ALUM.

Thank you again for all you continue to do in support of MSU and the MSUAA.

In Spartan Spirit,

Scott Westerman
Executive Director
MSU Alumni Association
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Membership in the MSUAA is now going to be FREE Empty Re: Membership in the MSUAA is now going to be FREE

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-04-29, 12:35

So after this summer, what are the benefits to joining?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Membership in the MSUAA is now going to be FREE Empty Re: Membership in the MSUAA is now going to be FREE

Post by Giant Moose 2015-04-29, 12:35

Spartan Loyal sounds a lot like being a 247 subscriber.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-04-29, 12:49

Awesome. Right after I renewed.
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-04-29, 12:50

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:So after this summer, what are the benefits to joining?

You actually lose benefits after your graduate. No more beer on the back of Bob Sak's labor...or Mrs. Sak's labor...or his kid's labor...or Mrs. Sak's dog's labor. I don't know who the earner is in the household.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-29, 12:52

Turtleneck wrote:
Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:So after this summer, what are the benefits to joining?

You actually lose benefits after your graduate. No more beer on the back of Bob Sak's labor...or Mrs. Sak's labor...or his kid's labor...or Mrs. Sak's dog's labor. I don't know who the earner is in the household.
Membership in the MSUAA is now going to be FREE 502811600

The family of Robert J Sakimano is working tirelessly to rid the world of one-and-dones..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-04-29, 12:56

Turtleneck wrote:

The possibility of grad school is still there, for sure at least within a year. Can I still ride their coat tails then?

I'm a 4 and done Bob..
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-04-29, 12:57

I assume you mean, what are the benefits to signing up for the Spartan Loyal program (for a donation of $100 or more annually to the school or program of your choice)? Good question, they don't say what the "enhanced services and recognition" entail, or if that will be the same as the current membership benefits that people have paid for for years.

I also wonder what this means for the local chapters. Local chapters get something like $5 for each annual member within their area, and $3 or $4 per year for each lifetime member. Maybe they're leaving any funding up to the chapters themselves to generate through fundraisers.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-29, 12:57

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

The possibility of grad school is still there, for sure at least within a year. Can I still ride their coat tails then?

I'm a 4 and done Bob..
I was a 5 and half and done.. then grad school.. then some more grad school..

I blame the officiating.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-04-29, 12:59

Robert J Sakimano wrote:

I'm a 4 and done Bob..
I was a 5 and half and done.. then grad school.. then some more grad school..

I blame the officiating.

lol!

Coming from someone who does not want to graduate, that sounds pretty swell.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-04-29, 13:05

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I was a 5 and half and done.. then grad school.. then some more grad school..

I blame the officiating.

lol!

I loved my MSU years, but when you start making money to be able to afford stuff when you are in your mid-20s and still young enough to not have that much responsibility was one of my favorite times.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-04-29, 13:26

Haven't got the email yet as I'm also a life member, so it doesn't really matter to me, but it's interesting to try and noodle out the angle here.

1. MSUAA just gave up all it's revenue.
2. One would have to assume that they'll get a % of donations from everywhere else to make up for that. Which means...
3. Everyone else is giving up a % of their donations & hoping that is offset by new $$$ that normally would have gone to MSUAA.
4. I'm hoping this was decided after looking at how other schools do it.

I assume the current annual MSUAA membership was less than $100, so the threshold has been increased across the board?
I assume athletics are included in "the college or program of their choice". If so...

You donate $100/year to MSU Athletics & you get all the old MSUAA benefits + the MSU Athletics benefits. Sounds all right. I was giving $100+/year to MSU athletics anyway. Membership in the MSUAA is now going to be FREE 2599972566
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-04-29, 13:31

Heat Miser wrote:Haven't got the email yet as I'm also a life member, so it doesn't really matter to me, but it's interesting to try and noodle out the angle here.

2. One would have to assume that they'll get a % of donations from everywhere else to make up for that. Which means...
3. Everyone else is giving up a % of their donations & hoping that is offset by new $$$ that normally would have gone to MSUAA.

I assume the current annual MSUAA membership was less than $100, so the threshold has been increased across the board?
I assume athletics are included in "the college or program of their choice". If so...

You donate $100/year to MSU Athletics & you get all the old MSUAA benefits + the MSU Athletics benefits. Sounds all right. I was giving $100+/year to MSU athletics anyway. Membership in the MSUAA is now going to be FREE 2599972566

I think they are just trying to get as many living Spartans signed up as possible, so they have recent contact information for them. Then they'll try to convince these Spartans to join the Spartan Loyal program by reaching out to them in various ways.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-04-29, 13:31

Do they give you a membership when you graduate?

I know I haven't renewed, and probably won't rejoin until 2016 when it's free unless there's some kind of extra benefit to rejoining and paying the fee now.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-04-29, 13:36

I've been an annual member on and off, but every time I have joined I didn't feel like it provided anything of real value so I end up not renewing.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-04-29, 13:38

Giant Moose wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:Haven't got the email yet as I'm also a life member, so it doesn't really matter to me, but it's interesting to try and noodle out the angle here.

I think they are just trying to get as many living Spartans signed up as possible, so they have recent contact information for them. Then they'll try to convince these Spartans to join the Spartan Loyal program by reaching out to them in various ways.

That doesn't make sense to me. If I'm understanding this all correctly, Spartan Loyal basically replaces MSUAA. There is no longer a life membership. You have to give $100+ somewhere every year to be Spartan Loyal. Obviously they'll keep the MSUAA list & try to convert everyone, but I don't see any big free info grab here. Membership in the MSUAA is now going to be FREE 2599972566
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-04-29, 13:41

Giant Moose wrote:I've been an annual member on and off, but every time I have joined I didn't feel like it provided anything of real value so I end up not renewing.

Though I have gotten some trinkets here & there at football games & the quarterly magazine is nice (wonder what happens to that?), in my case it was never about "what's in it for me". Just wanted to support the U & give back. I've made a lot of money in my lifetime thanks in large part to MSU. Membership in the MSUAA is now going to be FREE 2599972566
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-29, 13:42

Robert J Sakimano wrote:I was a 5 and half and done.. then grad school.. then some more grad school..

I blame the officiating.

lol!

don't be in a hurry..

oh, and make sure you marry up a few levels.. it's a good insurance plan.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-29, 13:44

Giant Moose wrote:

lol!

I loved my MSU years, but when you start making money to be able to afford stuff when you are in your mid-20s and still young enough to not have that much responsibility was one of my favorite times.
that's a good observation.. every decade or so is my favorite, though. It sounds like a Hallmark card and I'm pretty fortunate, for sure - but every "next phase" of life seems to be better than the previous one.

remind me I said that when you guys come visit me at the "retirement community".

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-04-29, 13:47

I wonder if they get a % of all donations, or just if you make them through the AA (even if you give the donation to other programs). Either way, it's interesting and is a new step in cooperation between the University and the Alumni Association, which from my understanding haven't always worked together very well. It likely takes some away from the donations that the various programs get, but maybe the University figures that the AA will be able to help a lot in pitching for more donar money.

MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-04-29, 13:48

Heat Miser wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:I've been an annual member on and off, but every time I have joined I didn't feel like it provided anything of real value so I end up not renewing.

Though I have gotten some trinkets here & there at football games & the quarterly magazine is nice (wonder what happens to that?), in my case it was never about "what's in it for me". Just wanted to support the U & give back. I've made a lot of money in my lifetime thanks in large part to MSU. Membership in the MSUAA is now going to be FREE 2599972566
Yeah, I get that. I usually send some money to a club I was in because I appreciated what they did for me while I was at State. I wonder how that falls into this new thing.

Just being part of the alumni association itself never has felt significant to me for whatever reason even when I've convinced myself to do an annual membership. I feel like some other schools use their alumni associating better for networking and helping advance your career, but I never got that impression from MSU as a Spartan living out of state. I guess that's where I have a disconnect with it. It doesn't seem that useful.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-29, 13:51

Giant Moose wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Yeah, I get that. I usually send some money to a club I was in because I appreciated what they did for me while I was at State. I wonder how that falls into this new thing.

Just being part of the alumni association itself never has felt significant to me for whatever reason even when I've convinced myself to do an annual membership. I feel like some other schools use their alumni associating better for networking and helping advance your career, but I never got that impression from MSU as a Spartan living out of state. I guess that's where I have a disconnect with it. It doesn't seem that useful.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can be a member of the alumni association and not even be a graduate of MSU.. that would seem to sort of take some of the shine off of it for me.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-04-29, 14:04

Giant Moose wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:

Completely agree.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-04-29, 14:11

Heat Miser wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

That doesn't make sense to me. If I'm understanding this all correctly, Spartan Loyal basically replaces MSUAA. There is no longer a life membership. You have to give $100+ somewhere every year to be Spartan Loyal. Obviously they'll keep the MSUAA list & try to convert everyone, but I don't see any big free info grab here. Membership in the MSUAA is now going to be FREE 2599972566
They don't really say if there will be benefits for the free members (the e-mail was sent to lifetime members, so free membership is irrelevant to that e-mail). I would think that the car rental, hotel, insurance companies, etc. would be happy to have so many more potential customers, even at a little bit of a discount (after all, what are discounts if not incentives for customers to choose a business?). Maybe they add some new/extra benefits for Spartan Loyal?

I do think a big part of it is expanding that database to reach more alumni. Not so more people can receive the magazine, but to communicate with more alumni, and ultimately reach more people for potential donations. The University can only just telemarket you to death (and they weren't very good at that), but the Alumni Association is already constantly engaging the alumni, so the fundraising can now piggy back on that engagement in a new way.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-04-29, 14:16

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:
Giant Moose wrote:

They don't really say if there will be benefits for the free members (the e-mail was sent to lifetime members, so free membership is irrelevant to that e-mail).  I would think that the car rental, hotel, insurance companies, etc. would be happy to have so many more potential customers, even at a little bit of a discount (after all, what are discounts if not incentives for customers to choose a business?).  Maybe they add some new/extra benefits for Spartan Loyal?  

I do think a big part of it is expanding that database to reach more alumni.  Not so more people can receive the magazine, but to communicate with more alumni, and ultimately reach more people for potential donations.  The University can only just telemarket you to death (and they weren't very good at that), but the Alumni Association is already constantly engaging the alumni, so the fundraising can now piggy back on that engagement in a new way.

Where are you getting that there will be a free option? I'm pretty sure you gotta give something to be in the club.

All alumni and university donors will receive a basic level of services and recognition from the MSU Alumni Association.

Those making a minimum gift of $100 annually to the MSU college or program of their choice will receive the Spartan Loyal designation with enhanced services and recognition....

http://alumni.msu.edu/membership/

Membership in the MSUAA is now going to be FREE Member_benefits_chart_msuaa_only
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-04-29, 15:00

Heat Miser wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:
They don't really say if there will be benefits for the free members (the e-mail was sent to lifetime members, so free membership is irrelevant to that e-mail).  I would think that the car rental, hotel, insurance companies, etc. would be happy to have so many more potential customers, even at a little bit of a discount (after all, what are discounts if not incentives for customers to choose a business?).  Maybe they add some new/extra benefits for Spartan Loyal?  

I do think a big part of it is expanding that database to reach more alumni.  Not so more people can receive the magazine, but to communicate with more alumni, and ultimately reach more people for potential donations.  The University can only just telemarket you to death (and they weren't very good at that), but the Alumni Association is already constantly engaging the alumni, so the fundraising can now piggy back on that engagement in a new way.

Where are you getting that there will be a free option? I'm pretty sure you gotta give something to be in the club.

All alumni and university donors will receive a basic level of services and recognition from the MSU Alumni Association.

Those making a minimum gift of $100 annually to the MSU college or program of their choice will receive the Spartan Loyal designation with enhanced services and recognition....

Membership in the MSUAA is now going to be FREE Member_benefits_chart_msuaa_only
The first sentence of the letter that I posted:

"On July 1, 2016, membership in the MSU Alumni Association (MSUAA) will no longer be fee-based, signaling a new model that welcomes each and every Spartan."

and from the link you posted:

"As of July 1, 2016, membership in the MSUAA will no longer be fee-based, being replaced by a two-tiered structure of services and recognition for alumni and friends of MSU.

All alumni and university donors will receive a basic level of services and recognition from the MSU Alumni Association"

MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-04-29, 15:32

is there a level that would allow me to bring my couch to the football game??

'cause that's the level I want to belong to.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-04-29, 15:47

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Heat Miser wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

The first sentence of the letter that I posted:

"On July 1, 2016, membership in the MSU Alumni Association (MSUAA) will no longer be fee-based, signaling a new model that welcomes each and every Spartan."

and from the link you posted:

"As of July 1, 2016, membership in the MSUAA will no longer be fee-based, being replaced by a two-tiered structure of services and recognition for alumni and friends of MSU.

All alumni and university donors will receive a basic level of services and recognition from the MSU Alumni Association"

I just called them & you are correct. If you're already in, you stay in at the basic level even if you don't donate. New graduates are added at the basic level even if they don't donate.

Seems this could be a net $$$ loser. Membership in the MSUAA is now going to be FREE 2599972566
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Heat Miser 2015-04-29, 20:11

Additional info:

A Future Without Dues
Heat Miser
Heat Miser
Ephor (Operations)
Ephor (Operations)

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-04-30, 08:18

Heat Miser wrote:Additional info:

A Future Without Dues

I wonder if this could hurt MSU's U.S. News & World Report ranking.

U.S. News useds alumni giving as a factor:

Average alumni giving rate: The average percentage of undergraduate alumni of record who donated money to the college or university. Alumni of record are former full- or part-time students who received an undergraduate degree and for whom the college or university has a current address. Graduates who earned only a graduate degree are excluded.

Undergraduate alumni donors are alumni with undergraduate degrees from an institution who made one or more gifts for either current operations or capital expenses during the specified academic year.

The alumni giving rate is calculated by dividing the number of alumni donors during a given academic year by the number of alumni of record for that same year. The two most recent years of alumni giving rates that were available were averaged and used in the 2015 rankings. The two separately calculated alumni giving rates that were averaged (added together and divided by two) were for giving in the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 academic years.

The percentage of alumni giving serves as a proxy for how satisfied students are with the school. A higher average alumni giving rate scores better in the ranking model than a lower average alumni giving rate.

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/2014/09/08/best-colleges-ranking-criteria-and-weights

I bolded the part where I think it might impact our ranking negatively. By making this free tier, MSU will hypothetically now have the addresses of more alumni and if these alumni don't donate, then I would think that would hurt our ranking.

Not that this ranking matters so much, but just something to be aware of.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down