Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bell's Oberon Is America's Most Overrated Beer

+19
Robert J Sakimano
pulling69
InTenSity
Triple Sparty
Cameron
Nordic
Cym Jim
Rodeo Burger
Death Roe
Other Teams Pursuing That
Frank Ricard
steveschneider
kingstonlake
tGreenWay
Herbie Green
Martin Spartan
Turtleneck
I.B. Fine
The Pantry
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bell's Oberon Is America's Most Overrated Beer Empty Bell's Oberon Is America's Most Overrated Beer

Post by Guest 2015-05-12, 18:43

Drunkspin trolls the midwest.....

It’s not that tough to track down a very good wheat beer; hell, even Blue Moon won’t kill you, if it comes to that. This is why it’s strange that so many otherwise reasonable Midwesterners go bonkers for Oberon Ale, Bell’s thoroughly ordinary seasonal wheat.

Bell’s doesn’t distribute to my state, but it’s hard to be a credible IPA ranker without ever trying their Two-Hearted Ale, so I scammed a sample out of them last fall. I wasn’t expecting it to live up to the hype, and I was happily mistaken. That shit is outstanding. It’s very hard for an “ordinary” IPA (one that isn’t flavored or super-strength) to stand apart from the pack these days; I’m not saying they’re all the same by any means, but the style is so popular that hundreds of brewers have gotten really good at producing what we want. But Two-Hearted definitely rises above the pack. So I wrote nice things about it, and the suckers at Bell’s sent me some Oberon last month, and now here we are with the bad news.

I fully respect the way nostalgia and ritual can enhance a drinking experience, but I still think it’s bonkers for people to get so damn worked up over the annual release of Oberon. Many places in Michigan and surrounding states go so far as to declare an Oberon Day, which this year fell on March 23. A holiday for a seasonal wheat beer is a hell of a thing. It’s a shame the people who invent such things wasted the idea on Oberon.

Bell's Oberon Is America's Most Overrated Beer
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Bell's Oberon Is America's Most Overrated Beer Empty Re: Bell's Oberon Is America's Most Overrated Beer

Post by The Pantry 2015-05-12, 18:58

Not sure about "most" overrated but definitely agree it is overrated
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Bell's Oberon Is America's Most Overrated Beer Empty Re: Bell's Oberon Is America's Most Overrated Beer

Post by I.B. Fine 2015-05-12, 18:59

I can't disagree, I love 2 Hearted, wouldn't cross the street for an Oberon, just not into wheat beer, I guess.

Similar to Great Lakes Christmas Ale around Cleveland, there are many better 'seasonal ales' these days, but the world stops when the first keg is tapped.

Last edited by I.B. Fine on 2015-05-12, 19:01; edited 1 time in total
I.B. Fine
I.B. Fine
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-05-12, 19:00

Is that Ass Dan?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Martin Spartan 2015-05-12, 19:00

I agree 100%.  I've had maybe 3 Oberon's since fall of 11 (my father-in-law picked it to be on tap at my wedding that fall). Its not bad, it's just not that great.

Also, he mentioned Three Floyds Gumbalhead, I'd drink that all day over Oberon and is a great wheat beer.
Martin Spartan
Martin Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-05-12, 19:03

Beer dorks are so f******g annoying.
I would like to slam a bottle of Oberon over this guy's head.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-05-12, 19:18

Herbie Green wrote:Beer dorks are so f******g annoying.
I would like to slam a bottle of Oberon over this guy's head.

I agreed with everything he said. Come at me, brew!
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-05-12, 19:28

Paulaner Hefe-Weizen

End thread.

Last edited by kingstonlake on 2015-05-12, 19:31; edited 1 time in total
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-05-12, 19:30

click bait.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-05-12, 19:50

The thing I kike about Oberon is that it actually tastes a bit bigger, sweeter and more full of body than a lot of other beers in the "wheat" genre, which may be one of the factors that has made it so wildly successful. Aromas are strongly citric—like candied orange and lemon, set atop a base of clean, creamy wheat malt. It simply packs a higher volume of flavor than most American pale wheats do, which is integral in this substyle—there’s nothing less interesting than a bland American pale wheat. Oberon is anything but bland.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Ricard 2015-05-12, 19:55

Not only is it the most overrated, it is the only beer I've had that I can't stand.
Frank Ricard
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-05-12, 19:57

Herbie Green wrote:The thing I kike about Oberon is that it actually tastes a bit bigger, sweeter and more full of body than a lot of other beers in the "wheat" genre, which may be one of the factors that has made it so wildly successful. Aromas are strongly citric—like candied orange and lemon, set atop a base of clean, creamy wheat malt. It simply packs a higher volume of flavor than most American pale wheats do, which is integral in this substyle—there’s nothing less interesting than a bland American pale wheat. Oberon is anything but bland.

Shocked
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-05-12, 20:01

Herbie Green wrote:The thing I kike about Oberon is that it actually tastes a bit bigger, sweeter and more full of body than a lot of other beers in the "wheat" genre, which may be one of the factors that has made it so wildly successful. Aromas are strongly citric—like candied orange and lemon, set atop a base of clean, creamy wheat malt. It simply packs a higher volume of flavor than most American pale wheats do, which is integral in this substyle—there’s nothing less interesting than a bland American pale wheat. Oberon is anything but bland.

Throw in a couple more "hints of this" and "whispers of that" and you could be tSwill beer writer!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2015-05-12, 20:02

I swore Ass Dan started this thread.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-05-12, 20:04

Death Roe wrote:I swore Ass Dan started this thread.

Lol
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2015-05-12, 20:18

People should drink what they like, even if others don't like it.

With that said, the only thing more annoying than fan boys campaigning for why you should likwe what they like is people who tell you that you shouldn't like what they don't like.

Oberon does seem less outstanding each year, but I think that's because of the volume they sell now. There's no way they can be choosy with their ingredients like they were 10 years ago. Not to mention, just like grapes for wine, some years are going to be better or worse than others.

People may prefer other wheat beers, but no reasonable person can say Oberon is not a good wheat beer.
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-05-12, 20:22

LooseGoose wrote:

Throw in a couple more "hints of this" and "whispers of that" and you could be tSwill beer writer!!

Is Plagiarism acceptable for tSwill writers?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-05-12, 20:26

Herbie Green wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:

Is Plagiarism acceptable for tSwill writers?

Why not? 87.62% of what's written is plagiarized to a degree.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2015-05-12, 20:27

American wheats are a bit of waste of time when there are so many great saisons, farmhouse ales, hefes etc. out there.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-05-12, 20:28

Cym Jim wrote:American wheats are a bit of waste of time when there are so many great saisons, farmhouse ales, hefes etc. out there.

Cym, this is the only good thing from your motherland....

Bell's Oberon Is America's Most Overrated Beer Samuel-smiths-nut-brown
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-05-12, 20:34

Turtleneck wrote:
Cym Jim wrote:American wheats are a bit of waste of time when there are so many great saisons, farmhouse ales, hefes etc. out there.

This is extremely good also

Bell's Oberon Is America's Most Overrated Beer Samuel10
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-05-12, 20:40

Rodeo Burger wrote:People should drink what they like, even if others don't like it.

With that said, the only thing more annoying than fan boys campaigning for why you should likwe what they like is people who tell you that you shouldn't like what they don't like.

Oberon does seem less outstanding each year, but I think that's because of the volume they sell now. There's no way they can be choosy with their ingredients like they were 10 years ago. Not to mention, just like grapes for wine, some years are going to be better or worse than others.

People may prefer other wheat beers, but no reasonable person can say Oberon is not a good wheat beer.

This. It is really starting to piss me off.
Personally, I don't know if Oberon has got worse or stronger, but I associate a wheat beer more with something that should be light and refreshing on a hot summer day. Oberon seems closer to an IPA than that. There now I am the person that I despise. But that is just my opinion. I still like it. My son likes swiss cheese, onions and mayonnaise on his burger. My daughter likes a plain burger with ketchup. Neither one is "better" than the other.
FWIW, the review I plagiarized had Oberon ranked #5 of all American wheat beers.http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/04/tasting-and-ranking-39-of-the-best-american-wheat.html?a=1
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-05-12, 20:42

The Pantry wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

This is extremely good also

Bell's Oberon Is America's Most Overrated Beer Samuel10

That is also good. When we colonize his country, I hope we make sure the production of Samuel Smith beers continues as normal.

Last edited by Turtleneck on 2015-05-12, 20:43; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2015-05-12, 20:42

I like it.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-05-12, 20:44

Greenway, do you know if LWS likes Oberon with his dog food?
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-05-12, 20:44

My sons are beer snobs though I never caught the bug, for me there's still nothing better than sitting at the lake/river on a hot summer day pulling Black Labels out of a cooler full of ice.

Last edited by LooseGoose on 2015-05-12, 20:45; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-05-12, 20:44

Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout is one of the first beers I really fell in love with.

...Dammit you guys I picked today to quit drinking. That is why I am a bit cranky
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2015-05-12, 22:06

Overrated? Probably. Still good, though. Most anything that gets a lot of hype is overrated.

That last sentence sounds super cynical, but it's also sort of the thesis for my life.

Bell's Oberon Is America's Most Overrated Beer Giphy
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 2015-05-12, 22:26

Doesn't Samuel Smith make a porter, too? Fantastic if I'm remembering it correctly.

Also, a four pack of Oberon tallboys is perfect for a day on the water.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-05-12, 22:38

I liked Oberon when you could see the sediment in bottles. I hate that it's clear now.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 2015-05-12, 23:27

Turtleneck wrote:Greenway, do you know if LWS likes Oberon with his dog food?

I don't know. I tried calling him on his iPhone 6+, but when he answered, his mouth was full of Orijen's Six Fish and I couldn't understand him.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-05-13, 01:01

InTenSity wrote:I liked Oberon when you could see the sediment in bottles. I hate that it's clear now.

Isn't this years batch darker?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2015-05-13, 03:48

InTenSity wrote:I liked Oberon when you could see the sediment in bottles. I hate that it's clear now.

Every bottle I have had this year has had sediment. Its pretty good this year.

PS Can even see the little bits of orange peel in the head when poured into a glass.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-05-13, 06:56

pulling69 wrote:

PS Can even see the little bits of orange peel in the head when poured into a glass.

So floating debris in beer is now considered a plus?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-05-13, 07:35

LooseGoose wrote:My sons are beer snobs though I never caught the bug, for me there's still nothing better than sitting at the lake/river on a hot summer day pulling Black Labels out of a cooler full of ice.

Hipster.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-05-13, 07:45

it was better when it was Solsun..

that said, if you need me, I'll be at HopCat drinking a Whitewater Fence Post Muskrat River Fly-Fishing Coffeehouse Porter..
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-05-13, 07:45

Turtleneck wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:My sons are beer snobs though I never caught the bug, for me there's still nothing better than sitting at the lake/river on a hot summer day pulling Black Labels out of a cooler full of ice.

Hipster.

Oh christ.....is Black Label a hipster beer now?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-05-13, 07:47

LooseGoose wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Hipster.

Oh christ.....is Black Label a hipster beer now?
Bell's Oberon Is America's Most Overrated Beer 502811600

probably.. started with PBR.. then I noticed a drift towards Miller High Life.. I'm more of a Stroh's kinda guy.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-05-13, 08:37

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:

Isn't this years batch darker?
I won't be in MI until August or September, and the Oberon on the shelves in Miami is still from last Nov.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodeo Burger 2015-05-13, 09:18

LooseGoose wrote:
pulling69 wrote:

So floating debris in beer is now considered a plus?

Filtering came about with macro brews so they could sit in warehouses longer. Filtering can remove some flavors and proteins in a beer, essentially making it a shell of what it was when first brewed. Filtering beer can be like freezing meat (though there are varying levels of filtration).

As Bell's says, "If God wanted us to drink unfiltered beer, he wouldn't have given us kidneys...".
Rodeo Burger
Rodeo Burger
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next