Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suggest an EL restaurant

+13
Cym Jim
Cameron
HT
Turtleneck
duffy munn
Tim Wakefield
CORNER BLITZ
InTenSity
Herbie Green
WhiteBoyHatcher
NigelUno
steveschneider
The Pantry
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Suggest an EL restaurant Empty Suggest an EL restaurant

Post by The Pantry 2015-05-17, 22:04

Have not been to EL since 2002 and that was just a quick drive through on the way back from a trip to Muskegon. Was kind of shocked to see how much things had changed.

Thinking about a day trip this week just to look around again. What restaurant would you suggest? Open to pretty much anything except pizza. How is the new El Azteco location?

The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Suggest an EL restaurant Empty Re: Suggest an EL restaurant

Post by steveschneider 2015-05-17, 22:10

El Az or Peanut barrell. I love the roof at el az that would be my pick.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-05-17, 22:13

What up Dawg?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-05-17, 22:13

There's a really good sports bar in town that has great grub. It really nails the MSU/EL experience. If you have to choose one place, I would go to Buffalo Wild Wings.

If you aren't really a sports bar kind of guy, there's a great diner/Greek restaurant across the street that also really captures the essence of EL. It's called Leo's Coney Island.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-05-17, 22:23

El Az. I was just there the other day and it is still great.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-05-17, 22:28

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:There's a really good sports bar in town that has great grub. It really nails the MSU/EL experience. If you have to choose one place, I would go to Buffalo Wild Wings.

If you aren't really a sports bar kind of guy, there's a great diner/Greek restaurant across the street that also really captures the essence of EL. It's called Leo's Coney Island.
Thanks, but I want to keep my record of never going to BWW intact. Leo's RO is always good but I'm not feeling it for EL.

Does Art still own El Az? Met him once many years ago. One of my kids Godmother use to be a manager there. He was quite a character.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-05-17, 22:30

BobbySak can meet you for some crack fries.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-05-17, 22:32

B dubs was great in the basement on Wednesday night's.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-05-17, 22:33

Ricks
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-05-17, 22:37

The Pantry wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:There's a really good sports bar in town that has great grub. It really nails the MSU/EL experience. If you have to choose one place, I would go to Buffalo Wild Wings.

Thanks, but I want to keep my record of never going to BWW intact. Leo's RO is always good but I'm not feeling it for EL.

Does Art still own El Az? Met him once many years ago. One of my kids Godmother use to be a manager there. He was quite a character.

If you didn't pick up on my sarcasm, there was some there. IMO there's nothing great or non-genericized from a food standpoint in EL these days.

Truthfully, the only thing in the area that is worthy to me food-wise that I can't find at home is that I love the stuffed Sicilian pizza at Spagnuolo's in Okemos.

You don't challenge Cespedes, btw.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-05-17, 22:38

NigelUno wrote:BobbySak can meet you for some crack fries.
Would like to meet Bob. What place sells the crack fries?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wakefield 2015-05-17, 22:39

NigelUno wrote:What up Dawg?

Just closed, brah.

Wtf, dawg?
Tim Wakefield
Tim Wakefield
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-05-17, 22:40

The Pantry wrote:
NigelUno wrote:BobbySak can meet you for some crack fries.
Would like to meet Bob. What place sells the crack fries?

Hopcat
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-05-17, 22:43

InTenSity wrote:B dubs was great in the basement on Wednesday night's.
Looks like they have the old Alley Eye/Players Club location below where America's Cup use to be. Players Club was a lot of fun Thursday nights.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-05-17, 22:43

Theo's at 3 am.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-05-17, 22:44

The Pantry wrote:

I think he sold it in the last year or two but stayed on to help the transition.
I was really worried but any change that has been made has actually been an improvement - like getting rid of the used towel roll in the bathroom and adding some flat screen tvs.

...I guess this thread is some kind of joke. I don't find El Az any kind of laughing matter. If you are looking to recapture what it was like in the basement maybe you will be dissapointed. But I don't know like I said it is still very good. I saw they just added breakfast burritos. I am looking forward to trying one of those soon.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-05-17, 22:56

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Thanks, but I want to keep my record of never going to BWW intact. Leo's RO is always good but I'm not feeling it for EL.

If you didn't pick up on my sarcasm, there was some there. IMO there's nothing great or non-genericized from a food standpoint in EL these days.

Truthfully, the only thing in the area that is worthy to me food-wise that I can't find at home is that I love the stuffed Sicilian pizza at Spagnuolo's in Okemos.

You don't challenge Cespedes, btw.
Yeah, I got it. Was lamenting the old close of the Pantree over at tTurd today. EL needs a couple good restaurants.

Hope Dombrowski signs Cespedes to a long term. He's got it all.
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-05-17, 23:09

Herbie Green wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Thanks, but I want to keep my record of never going to BWW intact. Leo's RO is always good but I'm not feeling it for EL.

I think he sold it in the last year or two but stayed on to help the transition.
I was really worried but any change that has been made has actually been an improvement - like getting rid of the used towel roll in the bathroom and adding some flat screen tvs.

...I guess this thread is some kind of joke. I don't find El Az any kind of laughing matter. If you are looking to recapture what it was like in the basement maybe you will be dissapointed. But I don't know like I said it is still very good. I saw they just added breakfast burritos. I am looking forward to trying one of those soon.
What makes you think the thread is a joke?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-05-17, 23:14

Sadly, there is not a single decent restaurant in EL.

I love the Barrell for a burger.

But if you want a real, full service place that serves entrees you will not find it in East Lansing. Sad.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-05-17, 23:14

Way too far into this thread without this place getting a mention.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-05-17, 23:22

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Would like to meet Bob. What place sells the crack fries?

Hopcat

They are such innovators at Hopcat. French fries with season salt and pepper . Crazy.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-05-17, 23:27

duffy munn wrote:Sadly, there is not a single decent restaurant in EL.

But if you want a real, full service place that serves entrees you will not find it in East Lansing. Sad.
You have experience in the industry and in the EL market. WTF is it about EL that won't let quality non-chains survive?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-05-17, 23:46

The Pantry wrote:
duffy munn wrote:Sadly, there is not a single decent restaurant in EL.

You have experience in the industry and in the EL market. WTF is it about EL that won't let quality non-chains survive?

The good independent operators either became frustrated with EL or sold out. Beggars was a great place back in the day until they sold to Equity Vest ( aka the evil empire. Ricks, Riv, Roadhouse etc)

Others, like the Evergreen Grill, couldn't attract customers because of the perception that if you came downtown to eat you would wind up in jail if you had two glasses of wine.

Parking.

Then came Eastwood, essentially blowing the doors off any dinning scene in downtown East Lansing.

duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 2015-05-18, 00:19

duffy munn wrote:
The Pantry wrote:You have experience in the industry and in the EL market. WTF is it about EL that won't let quality non-chains survive?

The good independent operators either became frustrated with EL or sold out. Beggars was a great place back in the day until they sold to Equity Vest ( aka the evil empire. Ricks, Riv, Roadhouse etc)

Others, like the Evergreen Grill, couldn't attract customers because of the perception that if you came downtown to eat you would wind up in jail if you had two glasses of wine.

Parking.

Then came Eastwood, essentially blowing the doors off any dinning scene in downtown East Lansing.
Only places familiar to me are Beggars and El Az. Is Hobies still around?

Not familiar with Eastwood. Please explain
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 2015-05-18, 01:03

I heard there's a nice little Irish eatery on Grand River, with very cheap prices on everything.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron 2015-05-18, 01:52

InTenSity wrote:Theo's at 3 am.

What he said, only if he spelled it right. Theio's isn't technically in EL, but it's close enough and damn good.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Cym Jim 2015-05-18, 02:24

Ate at Red Haven, Tannin, and the State Room last time I was in town, all pretty good. Wine list at the State Room was excellent.
Cym Jim
Cym Jim
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-05-18, 07:57

duffy munn wrote:
The Pantry wrote:You have experience in the industry and in the EL market. WTF is it about EL that won't let quality non-chains survive?

Parking.

The original Small Planet had kind of an eclectic vibe to it. I think they had good food, or tried to have good food.

Going back to EL and eating is just for the memories. Getting a burger at the Peanut Barrell or going to El Az is probably the way to go. Maybe grab a beer or two at HopCat for fun.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-05-18, 07:59

The Pantry wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Parking.

Eastwood is an outdoor shopping lifestyle experience.

aka the mall... with a bunch of chain restaurants.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-05-18, 08:08

The Pantry wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Parking.

Eastwood Town Center. Opened in 2002.

Huge development at Lake Lansing and 127. Mitchelles, Bravo, Smokey Bones, Pf Changs. Multiple retail stores and NCG cinema. Free parking and no DUI gestapo to avoid.

It had a crippling effect on independent restaurants.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-05-18, 08:54

A shame Bilbos is gone. If it was still there it would win my vote.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-05-18, 09:31

duffy munn wrote:
The Pantry wrote:Only places familiar to me are Beggars and El Az. Is Hobies still around?

Not familiar with Eastwood.  Please explain

Huge development at Lake Lansing and 127. Mitchelles, Bravo, Smokey Bones, Pf Changs. Multiple retail stores and NCG cinema.  Free parking and no DUI gestapo to avoid.

while we share a very deep and extensive love for Kirk Cousins, I must disagree with you regarding the ELPD and DUI's. I'm all for the EL police keeping the streets safe and appreciate all they do in that regard.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2015-05-18, 09:33

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Huge development at Lake Lansing and 127. Mitchelles, Bravo, Smokey Bones, Pf Changs. Multiple retail stores and NCG cinema.  Free parking and no DUI gestapo to avoid.

while we share a very deep and extensive love for Kirk Cousins, I must disagree with you regarding the ELPD and DUI's. I'm all for the EL police keeping the streets safe and appreciate all they do in that regard.

All would be perfect if you could talk them into stepping up their game regarding shooting of "others"......
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-05-18, 09:38

LooseGoose wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

All would be perfect if you could talk them into stepping up their game regarding shooting of "others"......
who has the ELPD shot?

(I don't watch the news or read the State Urinal)
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-05-18, 12:14

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

We agree Bob. I'm also all for keeping the streets safe. The problem is that perception is reality and responsible adult drinkers are afraid to come downtown.

Why risk getting pulled over after two glasses of wine in downtown EL ?

This and paying Manhattan parking rates.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-05-18, 12:34

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:

We agree Bob. I'm also all for keeping the streets safe. The problem is that perception is reality and responsible adult drinkers are afraid to come downtown.

that's why I walk to downtown EL. Suggest an EL restaurant 3493939353
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-05-18, 22:29

Robert J Sakimano wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

that's why I walk to downtown EL. Suggest an EL restaurant 3493939353

That's why it's all corporate.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-05-18, 22:33

duffy munn wrote:
CORNER BLITZ wrote:

Hopcat

They are such innovators at Hopcat. French fries with season salt and pepper . Crazy.

They are pretty good though...

Still, i like their bruschetta better
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-05-18, 22:47

CORNER BLITZ wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

They are pretty good though...

Still, i like their bruschetta better

Fries at Dagwood's are good.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by pulling69 2015-05-19, 00:21

InTenSity wrote:B dubs was great in the basement on Wednesday night's.

Wed night? Tuesday was wing night and the hoops team was almost always there if they didn't have a game.
pulling69
pulling69
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next