Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heading to Upstate New York

+7
The Pantry
HT
Robert J Sakimano
Turtleneck
Blanch32
steveschneider
Herbie Green
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Heading to Upstate New York Empty Heading to Upstate New York

Post by Herbie Green Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:44 am

Actually I am not sure if I am really heading "Upstate" because I am not sure what the NY definition of Upstate is. But I am camping at Letchworth State Park. Any of you locals have advice on things to do in the area? I figure I will go rafting or kayaking (not sure what those conditions are - has there been a ton of rain like in Michigan and it might actually be exciting? Then it looks like there is a lot of hiking to waterfalls and whatnot but I haven't really done much research into it.

Also, should I be concerned about yuppies from downstate documenting their trips on Facebook?
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Heading to Upstate New York Empty Re: Heading to Upstate New York

Post by steveschneider Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:07 am

Herbie Green wrote:Actually I am not sure if I am really heading "Upstate" because I am not sure what the NY definition of Upstate is.  But I am camping at Letchworth State Park.  Any of you locals have advice on things to do in the area?  I figure I will go rafting or kayaking (not sure what those conditions are - has there been a ton of rain like in Michigan and it might actually be exciting?  Then it looks like there is a lot of hiking to waterfalls and whatnot but I haven't really done much research into it.

Also, should I be concerned about yuppies from downstate documenting their trips on Facebook?

Looks like you are close to the finger lakes and Cooperstown. There's some pretty incredible falls all around Ithaca and as they say Ithaca is Gorges. Watkins Glen has a trail or some kind of walk where you go by dozens of water falls.

If you are in the state for a while I highly recommend the Adirondacks. Xsanguine would get on board with that recommendation as well. If you are looking for good up state brews keep an eye out for Keegan's Ale.

Just checked Cooperstown is about 2-3hr drive.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:13 am

You're a loser if you don't hit up all the wineries and breweries
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:21 am

Yeah, probably not looking to drive more than hour away for something. Looks like it will be cool enough within the park anyway. Don't know how boring it might get after a few days but drinking at the campsite will take up a lot of the time.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:27 am

Herbie Green wrote:Yeah, probably not looking to drive more than hour away for something. Looks like it will be cool enough within the park anyway. Don't know how boring it might get after a few days but drinking at the campsite will take up a lot of the time.

IMO, if you are sticking with that area then make a point to see the gorges around Ithaca. It's an easy hike and there's a lot of incredible water falls.

Definitely a few Vineyards in the area as well, Blanch was spot on with that recommendation.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:28 am

Herbie Green wrote:Actually I am not sure if I am really heading "Upstate" because I am not sure what the NY definition of Upstate is. But I am camping at Letchworth State Park. Any of you locals have advice on things to do in the area? I figure I will go rafting or kayaking (not sure what those conditions are - has there been a ton of rain like in Michigan and it might actually be exciting? Then it looks like there is a lot of hiking to waterfalls and whatnot but I haven't really done much research into it.

It's confusing. Some people say upstate, some people get really upset and say this is Western NY. They say upstate is closer to the city. Either way you cannot go wrong with Western NY. If you do not want to get stabbed in a bar fight, stick with Western NY.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:28 am

Ithaca is a lovely town.. great restaurants. Would be a decent little trip but if you could get over that way, you might like it.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:28 am

Herbie Green wrote:Yeah, probably not looking to drive more than hour away for something.  Looks like it will be cool enough within the park anyway.  Don't know how boring it might get after a few days but drinking at the campsite will take up a lot of the time.
Drinking at the campsite is rarely boring.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:33 am

steveschneider wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:Yeah, probably not looking to drive more than hour away for something. Looks like it will be cool enough within the park anyway. Don't know how boring it might get after a few days but drinking at the campsite will take up a lot of the time.

IMO, if you are sticking with that area then make a point to see the gorges around Ithaca. It's an easy hike and there's a lot of incredible water falls.

Definitely a few Vineyards in the area as well, Blanch was spot on with that recommendation.

Ithaca is 2 hours from Letchworth. But, as you and Blanch said, he will definitely find lots of breweries and wineries within a one hour drive.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:34 am

Turtleneck wrote:
steveschneider wrote:

Ithaca is 2 hours from Letchworth. But, as you and Blanch said, he will definitely find lots of breweries and wineries within a one hour drive.
2 hours is nothing, though, when you're used to driving Up North to admire all of the natural beauty that northern Michigan has to offer.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:38 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Herbie Green wrote:Actually I am not sure if I am really heading "Upstate" because I am not sure what the NY definition of Upstate is. But I am camping at Letchworth State Park. Any of you locals have advice on things to do in the area? I figure I will go rafting or kayaking (not sure what those conditions are - has there been a ton of rain like in Michigan and it might actually be exciting? Then it looks like there is a lot of hiking to waterfalls and whatnot but I haven't really done much research into it.

It's confusing. Some people say upstate, some people get really upset and say this is Western NY. They say upstate is closer to the city. Either way you cannot go wrong with Western NY. If you do not want to get stabbed in a bar fight, stick with Western NY.

IMO once you pass the Tappan Zee bridge you are upstate.

Tappan Zee Bridge = the Clare of New York
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:38 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Ithaca is a lovely town

Candidate for understatement of the year.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:40 am

Tappan Zee bridge

Sure. And then you can go from upstate to Central NY, Western NY, the Souther Tier, etc.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:53 am

Robert J Sakimano wrote:Ithaca is a lovely town.. great restaurants. Would be a decent little trip but if you could get over that way, you might like it.

I usually just wear old dirty clothes around and do outdoors stuff. Should I bring an additional wardrobe for this segment of the trip? It might be tempting to go to some quaint Upstate restaurants, breweries and wineries so I can get some Facebook photos of me with a Finger Lakes Steelhead Extra Special Bitter India Pale Ale.
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:54 am

So you're going to be more in Western NY. I consider Upstate to be more in the eastern party of the state like Syracuse and Albany and Western to be more Rochester and Buffalo.

I typically went to the Letchworth to camp and hike and raft with the Boy Scouts growing up, but because it's so close we never really explored the area much.

I imagine there's some wineries in the area. If you really feel bold/are really bored, Rochester (where I live) is only about 35 miles away and there's plenty to do here. The farmer's market here is one of the biggest in the country so that's a fun thing to do on a Thursday or Saturday (if you go, let me know, we have fresh-picked peaches, cherries, and apricots). The Genesee Brewery (right in downtown) is a place to check out (they have a brewpub there, too)...and if you make it to Rochester, you need to try a white hot dog or a garbage plate. We have a Triple-A baseball team, too. The National Toy Hall of Fame is at the Strong Museum here. There's restaurants to check out (highly recommend Dinosaur BBQ), but I don't think there's much in terms of live music this weekend.

Now that I think about it...this isn't a very touristy area and is more of a good place to live. Still, hope you have a good time out here.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:57 am

Turtleneck wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Ithaca is a lovely town

It's nice, but it's a little too "weird" for my taste to be there for much more than a visit. I don't know how my cousin still lives there after all these years.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:58 am

Herbie Green wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:Ithaca is a lovely town.. great restaurants. Would be a decent little trip but if you could get over that way, you might like it.

I usually just wear old dirty clothes around and do outdoors stuff.  Should I bring an additional wardrobe for this segment of the trip?  It might be tempting to go to some quaint Upstate restaurants, breweries and wineries so I can get some Facebook photos of me with a Finger Lakes Steelhead Extra Special Bitter India Pale Ale.

I think a polo and shorts would be alright unless you're going somewhere real fancy. We're pretty casual up here.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:11 pm

Southern Tier Brewery's 2XIPA is pretty good
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:15 pm

HT wrote:So you're going to be more in Western NY. I consider Upstate to be more in the eastern party of the state like Syracuse and Albany and Western to be more Rochester and Buffalo.

I typically went to the Letchworth to camp and hike and raft with the Boy Scouts growing up, but because it's so close we never really explored the area much.

I imagine there's some wineries in the area. If you really feel bold/are really bored, Rochester (where I live) is only about 35 miles away and there's plenty to do here. The farmer's market here is one of the biggest in the country so that's a fun thing to do on a Thursday or Saturday (if you go, let me know, we have fresh-picked peaches, cherries, and apricots). The Genesee Brewery (right in downtown) is a place to check out (they have a brewpub there, too)...and if you make it to Rochester, you need to try a white hot dog or a garbage plate. We have a Triple-A baseball team, too. The National Toy Hall of Fame is at the Strong Museum here. There's restaurants to check out (highly recommend Dinosaur BBQ), but I don't think there's much in terms of live music this weekend.

Now that I think about it...this isn't a very touristy area and is more of a good place to live. Still, hope you have a good time out here.

Black Button Distillery if you go to Rochester.

Otherwise, some of this might interest you: http://fingerlakesbeertrail.com/content/
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:18 pm

HT wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

It's nice, but it's a little too "weird" for my taste to be there for much more than a visit. I don't know how my cousin still lives there after all these years.

I didn't mind it at all...good food, beer and scenic.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:19 pm

Herbie Green wrote:

I usually just wear old dirty clothes around and do outdoors stuff. Should I bring an additional wardrobe for this segment of the trip? It might be tempting to go to some quaint Upstate restaurants, breweries and wineries so I can get some Facebook photos of me with a Finger Lakes Steelhead Extra Special Bitter India Pale Ale.
if that is something you would enjoy, live it up.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:36 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
HT wrote:So you're going to be more in Western NY. I consider Upstate to be more in the eastern party of the state like Syracuse and Albany and Western to be more Rochester and Buffalo.

Otherwise, some of this might interest you: http://fingerlakesbeertrail.com/content/

I believe it's right by the public market. I always see signs for it there.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:49 pm

HT wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Yup. Right next to Rohrbach Brewing.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:48 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
HT wrote:

You ever up here much? Let me know if you're in the area and we can grab a beer.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:50 pm

HT wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

You ever up here much? Let me know if you're in the area and we can grab a beer.
Turtleneck is a great guy to have a beer with.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:55 pm

HT wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

I am there 5-7 days a week in the fall and spring. Not as much in the summer. Where is your farm (if you do not mind me asking).
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:33 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
HT wrote:

I am there 5-7 days a week in the fall and spring. Not as much in the summer. Where is your farm (if you do not mind me asking).
It's heartwarming to see love among sWillsters blossoming.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:36 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:

Yeah. We definitely have to get tanfan and Nigel together.

Maybe they could meet at an airport...?
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:41 pm

Turtleneck wrote:
HT wrote:

Sodus, but I live in Webster.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:07 pm

You ever go to that Irish pub in the village? I like that place.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:10 pm

Turtleneck wrote:You ever go to that Irish pub in the village? I like that place.

In Webster? Are you talking about Barry's (it's on the corner of 250 and Ridge/Main)? Yeah, I go there every couple of weeks. Nice atmosphere...my only complaint is how crowded it gets because it's a bit small.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:12 pm

That's the place. Ended up there for the first time last December. I liked the atmosphere but it was crowded.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:19 pm

Turtleneck wrote:That's the place. Ended up there for the first time last December. I liked the atmosphere but it was crowded.
I've heard it's so crowded that no one goes there anymore.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:24 pm

Turtleneck wrote:That's the place. Ended up there for the first time last December. I liked the atmosphere but it was crowded.

It's probably because the other three bars in the village are more dives, so all the middle-aged adults like going to Barry's since it's a bit of a classier joint (relatively speaking).

Summer isn't bad, though, mainly because I just drink at one of the tables outside. Barry's good for a pint or two on a Friday/Saturday night if you want things to be low-key.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:31 pm

I prefer the Old Toad as far as Roc area bars go, but I always think one on those workers might be poster Cym Jim so I try to stay away.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:43 pm

Turtleneck wrote:I prefer the Old Toad as far as Roc area bars go, but I always think one on those workers might be poster Cym Jim so I try to stay away.

Oh, for Rochester bars, I go downtown way more than staying in the village of Webster (the Coach is the bar my friends and I first started going to in Webster, and is my favorite).

I like the Old Toad; good beer and I like the help. Salinger's is a good dive downtown. Ox and Stone makes a good gin and tonic, and Mex has a pretty good taco Tuesday deal.

My favorite bar is probably Acme Pizza (dive bar)...on Mondays and early Saturday evenings, they have a buy one-get one deal, so I buy cheap beer and load up on these free beer tokens and then use them all later on expensive beers. Good pizza, too.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:08 pm

LooseGoose wrote:
I've heard it's so crowded that no one goes there anymore.

+1
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:17 pm

The Pantry wrote:
LooseGoose wrote:
Yeah. We definitely have to get tanfan and Nigel together.

Maybe they could meet at an airport...?

Beers at Bob's! Like the beer summit hosted by Bob's idol obama
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:06 pm

I wonder if Herbie will still be there for the 2 competing Woodstock celebrations this summer?

WOODSTOCK Co-Founder Announces 50th-Anniversary Concert On Same Weekend As Bethel Woods Tribute

Woodstock 1969's co-producer and co-founder Michael Lang announced today the return of the legendary Woodstock Music & Arts Fair for its official 50th-anniversary celebration. Woodstock 1969 was billed as "three days of peace and music," and 50 years later, Woodstock 50 will give generations of fans the opportunity to join together in the festival's foundational intent of harmony and compassion.

The three-day event will take place from Friday, August 16 through Sunday, August 18 in Watkins Glen — located in Upstate New York. Lang has put together a world-class team for curation and onsite festival production. Woodstock 50 will be the only authorized commemoration of the iconic 1969 festival and will feature an amazing lineup.

Lang's event is not to be confused with the Bethel Woods Center For The Arts' own tribute concert, which is happening the same weekend (August 16-18) in upstate New York. That event will be held at Bethel Woods Center For The Arts' 15,000-seat amphitheater built on the site of the original Woodstock.

To commemorate the movement that defined a generation of youth, a limited number of discounted pre-sale tickets for Lang's event will be available to college students ages 18-25, by the end of January. The lineup and general on-sale information will be announced over the coming weeks.

...and they continue to show that they're for the people by discounting a limited number of tickets.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:12 pm

LooseGoose wrote:I wonder if Herbie will still be there for the 2 competing Woodstock celebrations this summer?

WOODSTOCK Co-Founder Announces 50th-Anniversary Concert On Same Weekend As Bethel Woods Tribute

Woodstock 1969's co-producer and co-founder Michael Lang announced today the return of the legendary Woodstock Music & Arts Fair for its official 50th-anniversary celebration. Woodstock 1969 was billed as "three days of peace and music," and 50 years later, Woodstock 50 will give generations of fans the opportunity to join together in the festival's foundational intent of harmony and compassion.

The three-day event will take place from Friday, August 16 through Sunday, August 18 in Watkins Glen — located in Upstate New York. Lang has put together a world-class team for curation and onsite festival production. Woodstock 50 will be the only authorized commemoration of the iconic 1969 festival and will feature an amazing lineup.

Lang's event is not to be confused with the Bethel Woods Center For The Arts' own tribute concert, which is happening the same weekend (August 16-18) in upstate New York. That event will be held at Bethel Woods Center For The Arts' 15,000-seat amphitheater built on the site of the original Woodstock.

To commemorate the movement that defined a generation of youth, a limited number of discounted pre-sale tickets for Lang's event will be available to college students ages 18-25, by the end of January. The lineup and general on-sale information will be announced over the coming weeks.

...and they continue to show that they're for the people by discounting a limited number of tickets.

It’s all about the love, man, the love

Heading to Upstate New York 4113017228 of money.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next