Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need something to do tomorrow within a few hours of Detroit to entertain my kids

+16
HT
The Pantry
tGreenWay
CORNER BLITZ
InTenSity
Rocinante
Triple Sparty
Nordic
The Ingenious Gentleman
Dr. Strangelove
Brock Middlebrook
kingstonlake
DWags
Izzo Court
Giant Moose
WhiteBoyHatcher
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Need something to do tomorrow within a few hours of Detroit to entertain my kids Empty Need something to do tomorrow within a few hours of Detroit to entertain my kids

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 17/07/15, 11:17 am

Wife is going to be gone all day and won't be back until like 10 PM. I need to entertain my two brats. Ideas? Willing to drive.

My initial thoughts:

• Pool - honestly this idea kind of scares me. Hard to keep an eye on both little fuckers, the older one isn't a proficient swimmer, and it's going to be crowded as fuck. 
  • Ann Arbor Hands on Museum - we have a membership, but it's a long ass drive and doesn't seem like a great summer activity idea
  • Zoo - membership, but we were just there on Wednesday
  • Tigers game - waste of money, neither will care to watch the game
  • DIA - too young
  • Science Center - maybe, but wife wants to go
  • Ann Arbor Art fair - not sure this is kid friendly. Plus it's Ann Arbor and she's a whore
  • Cranbrook museum - ?? Haven't been in a lot of years. Kid friendly?
  • Metropark - Stoney Creek is closest and they have a beach. The one down by DTW has a full blown waterpark, Turtle Cove. 
  • Henry Ford/GF Village - probably too young to care much. GF Village does have that awesome playscape. 

Any other suggestions that don't involve me driving to the Soo Locks and back?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Need something to do tomorrow within a few hours of Detroit to entertain my kids Empty Re: Need something to do tomorrow within a few hours of Detroit to entertain my kids

Post by Giant Moose 17/07/15, 11:21 am

You guys should go get tattoos.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Need something to do tomorrow within a few hours of Detroit to entertain my kids Empty Re: Need something to do tomorrow within a few hours of Detroit to entertain my kids

Post by Izzo Court 17/07/15, 11:22 am

Roll down the windows and drive slowly down Grand River to Novi.
Izzo Court
Izzo Court
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 17/07/15, 11:25 am

Henry Ford. Then the imax there for minions. They might still have the nfl exhibit. Show them the zagruder film of Kennedy getting his brains blown out then show em the car he was riding.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 17/07/15, 11:33 am

Toledo has a cool science center for kids
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 17/07/15, 11:34 am

Toledo also has delicious fried chicken sandwiches with pickles.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 17/07/15, 11:53 am

Find some local county fair, those are always fun for the whole family.

Need something to do tomorrow within a few hours of Detroit to entertain my kids Loc-0721-cs-Ionia-Fair-4-H-5-1024x819
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Strangelove 17/07/15, 12:13 pm

Minions movie and Mickey D's for lunch. Problem solved
Dr. Strangelove
Dr. Strangelove
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 17/07/15, 12:15 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Minions movie and Mickey D's for lunch. Problem solved
Hopefully they get one of the swearing Minions in their Happy Meal.

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com/t7200-mcdonald-s-minion-happy-meal-toy-curses-parents-outraged
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 17/07/15, 12:18 pm

I could go Back to back with Minions and Inside out and kill the whole day. Hmmm....

I think it's supposed to be really nice tomorrow, though. Hate to waste the day indoors.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Ingenious Gentleman 17/07/15, 12:27 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I could go Back to back with Minions and Inside out and kill the whole day. Hmmm....

I think it's supposed to be really nice tomorrow, though. Hate to waste the day indoors.

From your original post it seems like you may hate a great many things. Since you already crossed of sports, science, art, water and now movies, perhaps your best bet is to call their friends parents and pawn them off.
The Ingenious Gentleman
The Ingenious Gentleman
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 17/07/15, 12:30 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I could go Back to back with Minions and Inside out and kill the whole day. Hmmm....

Brock nailed it... find a Carny
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Triple Sparty 17/07/15, 12:31 pm

Go east. Start at Ford House where a winged creature event starts at noon. After that go to Belle Isle and have picnic whilst watching freighters and boats go by. Visit fountains, playscape, beach, and Great Lakes Museum, if interested. Maybe bring a kite if weather cooperates.

Alternatively, Greenfield is having one of its throwback baseball games. Never been but looks interesting.
Triple Sparty
Triple Sparty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 17/07/15, 12:32 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Wife is going to be gone all day and won't be back until like 10 PM.
What do you think the dude your wife is banging on the side looks like?
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 17/07/15, 12:35 pm

The Ingenious Gentleman wrote:

From your original post it seems like you may hate a great many things. Since you already crossed of sports, science, art, water and now movies, perhaps your best bet is to call their friends parents and pawn them off.
YES!

I hate my kids. I hate activities. And I hate you, too.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/07/15, 12:37 pm

I'll admit my kids and I are/were easily amused.....but we used to occasionally take a day trip to Ontario.   We all loved Chinese food and Sarnia/Windsor generally spank anything available in the US.

We'd take the Bridge over at Port Huron or the Tunnel in Detroit depending on our activity for the day then go ride the fairly obscure Bluewater Ferry back from Sombra, ON to Marine City, MI.  I looked and it's still only $7 for a car, and they loved the fairly short boat ride.

Most days we'd go without a plan and just watch for a street fair to stop at, Ontario seemed to have a lot of that type activity on the weekends.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 17/07/15, 12:41 pm

Bring ya hankie, Danny!
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 17/07/15, 12:41 pm

Canadia is an interesting idea. Do I need to bring birth certificates or anything?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 17/07/15, 12:41 pm

I have my daughter all weekend. I have no idea what we'll do. Her best friend is gone for the week too, so no going to their place for a few hours.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/07/15, 12:58 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Canadia is an interesting idea. Do I need to bring birth certificates or anything?
I used to have them with me but don't recall using them.   But keep in mind this was when my kids were small in the mid-late 90's, probably a different game today.   They loved the whole thing that we were doing international travel and home in a day.   Kids are the absolute best from about 3-10 - after that come the shittier years before things improve again.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 17/07/15, 01:15 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:Canadia is an interesting idea. Do I need to bring birth certificates or anything?

Pretty sure everyone needs to show a passport now a days.  A B/C might work though.

Last edited by Nordic on 17/07/15, 01:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 17/07/15, 01:17 pm

I have a passport. I meant for the kids so they don't think I'm kidnapping them or something.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 17/07/15, 01:20 pm

This looks like fun.

http://visitwindsoressex.com/childrens-safety-village/
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 17/07/15, 01:26 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I have a passport. I meant for the kids so they don't think I'm kidnapping them or something.

I meant the kids. I know the rules have changed. A B/C might work, but you can't just roll up with nothing like you used to.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Brock Middlebrook 17/07/15, 01:30 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:This looks like fun.

http://visitwindsoressex.com/childrens-safety-village/

That's perfect. You can drop them off there, then head to Leopards Lounge!
Brock Middlebrook
Brock Middlebrook
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 17/07/15, 01:48 pm

Nordic wrote:
WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:I have a passport. I meant for the kids so they don't think I'm kidnapping them or something.

I meant the kids. I know the rules have changed. A B/C might work, but you can't just roll up with nothing like you used to.  
Both websites I checked said birth certificates for kids.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 17/07/15, 01:52 pm

Get in a fight with another dad
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 17/07/15, 01:55 pm

CORNER BLITZ wrote:Get in a fight with another dad
Need something to do tomorrow within a few hours of Detroit to entertain my kids 502811600
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 17/07/15, 02:51 pm

The website for NAMBLA has a long list of popular places and activities for children. You're welcome.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 17/07/15, 03:27 pm

Take them to Weldon's or Barb's for pasties
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 17/07/15, 06:56 pm

I think you're probably not going to be able to get into Canada, but it might be worth checking out the website for that stuff.

How about Cedar Point? I don't believe that's far away.

Also, East Lansing isn't too far out. Maybe take the kids to MSU for a day? Walk around campus, check out the Union building and libraries and botanical gardens. Bring some bread and your kids could feed the ducks near the administration building. Maybe you and your kids can check out some of the animals at the agricultural facilities (for example, you can do a self-guided tour at MSU's dairy training and research center). Get lunch somewhere and treat them to some MSU Dairy Store ice cream if they behave well. 

Just an idea. I think MSU with the kids might be a fun and relatively inexpensive day, while getting to see some pretty neat stuff. MSU's Kellogg Biological Station on Gull Lake is pretty cool, too, but I don't know if your kids are old enough to appreciate it.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 17/07/15, 07:54 pm

EL/MSU is not a bad call. They love it up there, but they're pretty young. Might be fun to fuck around on campus without the circus atmosphere of a football game or something and with the weather nice. Is the Planetarium open during the day? 

I think my 5 year old would freak out at the smell touring the Ag facilities. Plus we have a horse so barn animals aren't really a big deal to them. Good thoughts, though. +1

Anything else good to do up there with little kids?
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 17/07/15, 08:23 pm

So what are you doing tomorrow?
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 17/07/15, 08:23 pm

I'll probably stay home. Maybe take them on a walk.  Need something to do tomorrow within a few hours of Detroit to entertain my kids 502811600
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pantry 17/07/15, 08:31 pm

Supposed to be high 80's tomorrow. Good day for the movies
The Pantry
The Pantry
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 17/07/15, 09:57 pm

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:EL/MSU is not a bad call. They love it up there, but they're pretty young. Might be fun to fuck around on campus without the circus atmosphere of a football game or something and with the weather nice. Is the Planetarium open during the day? 

I think my 5 year old would freak out at the smell touring the Ag facilities. Plus we have a horse so barn animals aren't really a big deal to them. Good thoughts, though. +1

Anything else good to do up there with little kids?

Planetarium is closed. I wonder if you could walk through some of the buildings. I am sure they'd be amazed walking through the biomedical sciences building and some buildings like Natural Science sometimes have interesting displays (I miss the polar bear at Natural Resources).

There's a 4-H children's garden behind the plant sciences building, and it's near the horticultural gardens. You could walk along the river, feed the ducks. There's the regular museum, and then the Broad museum.

Like I said earlier, maybe get some ice cream. The Anthony Hall Dairy Store location typically has a lot more flavor than the location at the Union (Badger Berry Cheesecake FTW!!!!), so your kids could go wild sampling every flavor in the place.

Also, they could always check out the library. This will sound incredibly juvenile, but I always got a kick out of the bookshelves moving electronically in the basement...I would guess kids would love seeing massive bookshelves move at the press of a button.
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Ass Dan 17/07/15, 09:58 pm

Henry Ford is the easy answer. Also the Detroit science center.
Ass Dan
Ass Dan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by HT 17/07/15, 10:01 pm

Also, just looked it up, but Munn Ice Arena is open for free skate tomorrow from 6-7:30.

Maybe go to campus early in the afternoon. Check out the botanical gardens, stop at the Dairy Store for some ice cream as you work your way closer to the river, walk along the river and feed the ducks near the Hannah building, walk towards one of the museums on the way to a restaurant on Grand River, eat and then cap off the night with a little open skate on the same ice MSU hockey plays?
HT
HT
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay 17/07/15, 10:12 pm

Temps are supposed to be in the low 90's tomorrow. I suggest staying home and letting the kids enjoy a Quentin Tarantino retrospective, beginning with Reservoir Dogs to set the tone.

Or get them into shape with a few Green Bays at your local h.s. football field.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 17/07/15, 10:17 pm

Maybe I'll just make some jungle juice and we'll get drunk together.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next