Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

After two games, Cook hasn't played well yet

+25
AnomanderRake
Robert J Sakimano
The Pantry
Other Teams Pursuing That
Herbie Green
GRR Spartan
DWags
Death Roe
MiamiSpartan
Travis of the Cosmos
InTenSity
Nordic
kingstonlake
SeeRockCity
SpartyScotty
NigelUno
WhiteGreenShow
Code_Warrior
Motown Spartan
duffy munn
Vlad
steveschneider
Rocinante
WhiteBoyHatcher
The_Dude
29 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

After two games, Cook hasn't played well yet Empty After two games, Cook hasn't played well yet

Post by The_Dude 2015-09-14, 12:43

He was ok vs Western and ok vs Oregon and had some mystifying throws on both. He still refuses to run when the passing lanes aren't open.

I was expecting him to just....be better?

Maybe the WRs aren't getting as much separation?

Maybe we really need to use our TEs more?

I guess with all the hype he got I expected him to play like an All American.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

After two games, Cook hasn't played well yet Empty Re: After two games, Cook hasn't played well yet

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-09-14, 12:44

lol good luck with this thread.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

After two games, Cook hasn't played well yet Empty Re: After two games, Cook hasn't played well yet

Post by Rocinante 2015-09-14, 12:45

Even when you're right it comes off douchey.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-09-14, 12:51

Cook is a fucking winner.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-14, 13:05

Agree. Feels like he may have hit his ceiling, but let's see...

He's still pretty damn good though, so we're in good shape overall.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-09-14, 13:05

WhiteBoyHatcher wrote:lol good luck with this thread.

What is this, the rcmb? We all have to sing in lock step Cook is #1 and not allowed to talk about his play?
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-09-14, 13:07

Vlad wrote:Agree. Feels like he may have hit his ceiling, but let's see...

Yes, yes we are in great shape.

To be a playoff team though, we need Cook playing at a very high level.

I think we'd all back off a little of he comes out in the next few games against some scrub teams and lights em up.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn 2015-09-14, 13:09

He's no Jake Rudock, that's for sure.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2015-09-14, 13:11

The_Dude wrote:

Good thing there are still 8 games before the OSU game and still 10 games left in the regular season...
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2015-09-14, 13:11

It's nice when we win big games even when the team doesn't play its best. Isn't that what we've always wanted? It's scary to think how good we could become by the end of the season.

In fact, I think it might be time for Saturday Night Live to restart the Ditka skits, only with Dantonio. I mean, who woukd win between an F5 tornado and Coach D? I gotta go with coach D, unless you give the tornado a hurricane to go along with it. Even then, I think coach D might have a trick play that would neutralize the hurricane.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-14, 13:14

The_Dude wrote:
Vlad wrote:Agree. Feels like he may have hit his ceiling, but let's see...

Yes, yes we are in great shape.

I think we'd all back off a little of he comes out in the next few games against some scrub teams and lights em up.
He's working with a new group of receivers, and the backs are new as well, so maybe it's just a timing thing.  Let's see...He's got a few weeks to work on that stuff.

But it does bother me that he's still sailing so many passes.
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteGreenShow 2015-09-14, 13:16

The dude is correct, Cook has been solid this year but has not shown that extra step we all have been expecting. The good news is we won the game this weekend and didn't really play a great game. If Cook rounds into form like we all think he can this team has a great chance of winning it all. The potential is exciting and I think we are far from our peak at this point.
WhiteGreenShow
WhiteGreenShow
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2015-09-14, 13:19

I can't believe his passer rating is so low.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-09-14, 13:22

He's a good game manager. Like that Rudock guy.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartyScotty 2015-09-14, 13:29

The_Dude wrote:He was ok vs Western and ok vs Oregon and had some mystifying throws on both. He still refuses to run when the passing lanes aren't open.

Keyword: YET

And we are 2-0. Imagine when he does.
SpartyScotty
SpartyScotty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan 2015-09-14, 13:29

NigelUno wrote:He's a good game manager. Like that Rudock guy.

He ranks 131st in the country in passer efficiency, which is crap because the top 10 are all like 1 for 1 for 18 yards for a rating of 799. His total QBR which takes into down and distance, etc, he ranks 9th. I know, I know, the total QBR is made up by ESPN, but that doesn't mean it is a useless statistic, they do have some basis for it, even though they won't divulge all of the parameters.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-09-14, 13:42

SpartyScotty wrote:
The_Dude wrote:He was ok vs Western and ok vs Oregon and had some mystifying throws on both. He still refuses to run when the passing lanes aren't open.

That's the thing...do 5th year seniors generally improve as the year goes on?

He's in his third year as a starter...I think our offensive playcalling can be better (PLEASE USE THE TEs MORE) and maybe that can lead to some improvement.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-09-14, 13:50

That interception was a bad route by -- whoever it was. You could tell cook was looking for a hitch or a comeback route and the receiver ran a curl.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by SeeRockCity 2015-09-14, 14:58

Meh

New receiver corps. Reminds me of 2013, except without the quadraback.

By the time we hit the shithouse, I think Burbridge will be on Kiper's big board, and Cook will be more of a household name that he is now.
SeeRockCity
SeeRockCity
Ephor (Board Steward)
Ephor (Board Steward)

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kingstonlake 2015-09-14, 15:08

He really doesn't have a WR that stretches the field. The calls are alot of sideline routes requiring him to drop the ball between the CB and safety. They are asking him to put the ball in small windows. He needs a 4.3 wideout that can allow him to go downfield more. Can you imagine if he had a C Rodgers or Plax to throw to?
kingstonlake
kingstonlake
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Extended Season Champion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic 2015-09-14, 15:10

Cook was... well... Cook. He makes some redic throws that 95% of the QBs in college can't make. But he also sails some or throws where he shouldn't. He is what he is.... which is also a kid that somehow finds a way to win.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-09-14, 15:11

Nordic wrote:Cook was... well... Cook. He makes some redic throws that 95% of the QBs in college can't make. But he also sails some or throws where he shouldn't. He is what he is.... which is also a kid that somehow finds a way to win.

He wins but he didn't find a way to win against Oregon. Defense won the game. The last few drives the offense had in the 4th were real bad.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by SpartyScotty 2015-09-14, 15:15

The_Dude wrote:
SpartyScotty wrote:

That's the thing...do 5th year seniors generally improve as the year goes on?

He's in his third year as a starter...I think our offensive playcalling can be better (PLEASE USE THE TEs MORE) and maybe that can lead to some improvement.

Wow you should be the head coach...........
SpartyScotty
SpartyScotty
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-09-14, 15:36

As a starting QB he's 3-0 in bowl games.

He's been a part of the last 30 games where MSU has gone 30-3 with wins over
Stanford, Ohio State, Oregon and Baylor.

What else do you want?
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by InTenSity 2015-09-14, 15:41

steveschneider wrote:As a starting QB he's 3-0 in bowl games.

What else do you want?
Well he doesn't want to start an actual conversation about how bad special teams coverage is.

Ok, was it a block in the back? The fan in me wants to say yes, the angle I was sitting at sure made it look like it, but also looked like hte Oregon player barely touched the MSU player. Our punter sure can kick it though.
InTenSity
InTenSity
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-09-14, 15:45

What else do you want?

Something to complain about.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-09-14, 16:21

The_Dude wrote:
Nordic wrote:Cook was... well... Cook. He makes some redic throws that 95% of the QBs in college can't make. But he also sails some or throws where he shouldn't. He is what he is.... which is also a kid that somehow finds a way to win.

He wins but he didn't find a way to win against Oregon. Defense won the game. The last few drives the offense had in the 4th were real bad.
And the defense left a guy wide open for the go-ahead (probably winning) score with under 2 minutes left.  We're just fortunate that the pass was overthrown.  

He didn't need to "find a way to win", because we were up by 2 scores mid-way through the 4th.  Yup, the defense was needed.  And there were times in the game when the defense needed him.  That's why it's a team game.  He was far from perfect, but you can't just deny him credit for his part in getting us in a position where he didn't need to find some heroics.  And don't discount Cook's 4th down pass to Burbridge.  Coming after the punt return with the momentum swung back to Oregon, that was big time clutch.  

What cracks me up when people are complaining about Cook is that it sounds like you guys haven't been watching him for the last 2+ years.  That was a typical Connor Cook game.  Some terrible throws, some bad decisions, and then some fantastic throws.  Don't forget how many ugly plays he made in the Cotton Bowl and the Rose Bowl just because he made some clutch plays later in the game.  We were behind in those games and needed clutch plays, much like we needed that 4th down.  Don't forget that we also didn't move the ball enough late in the 4th of the Rose Bowl either when we could have sealed the win.  His whole career he's been clutch when it's needed and he's had to take risks, but when he has to play it safe and the priority is to avoid a mistake, he's not as good.  Safe and tentative is not Connor Cook's style.

Again, I'm not saying he was great by any means.  He was just Cook.  Great at times, and not great at other times.  Been seeing that for over 2 years.  Where you guys been?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-09-14, 16:33

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:

What else do you want?

Something to complain about.

We should all go back 4 years to the Maxwell era. Nice kid, was hoping he'd pick right up where Cousins left off. Never happened.

I remember seeing Cook come in vs TCU. He looked rough out there, but goddammit he willed that team to a win.

All I can say is just enjoy this season.Maxwell was a lesson to us all that it's hard to keep a good thing going.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Vlad 2015-09-14, 16:45

MiamiSpartan wrote:
The_Dude wrote:

And the defense left a guy wide open for the go-ahead (probably winning) score with under 2 minutes left.  We're just fortunate that the pass was overthrown.  

He didn't need to "find a way to win", because we were up by 2 scores mid-way through the 4th.  Yup, the defense was needed.  And there were times in the game when the defense needed him.  That's why it's a team game.  He was far from perfect, but you can't just deny him credit for his part in getting us in a position where he didn't need to find some heroics.  And don't discount Cook's 4th down pass to Burbridge.  Coming after the punt return with the momentum swung back to Oregon, that was big time clutch.  

What cracks me up when people are complaining about Cook is that it sounds like you guys haven't been watching him for the last 2+ years.  That was a typical Connor Cook game.  Some terrible throws, some bad decisions, and then some fantastic throws.  Don't forget how many ugly plays he made in the Cotton Bowl and the Rose Bowl just because he made some clutch plays later in the game.  We were behind in those games and needed clutch plays, much like we needed that 4th down.  Don't forget that we also didn't move the ball enough late in the 4th of the Rose Bowl either when we could have sealed the win.  His whole career he's been clutch when it's needed and he's had to take risks, but when he has to play it safe and the priority is to avoid a mistake, he's not as good.  Safe and tentative is not Connor Cook's style.

Again, I'm not saying he was great by any means.  He was just Cook.  Great at times, and not great at other times.  Been seeing that for over 2 years.  Where you guys been?

I think you've captured the OP's point - that there doesn't seem to be the year-over-year improvement you'd expect, or that you read about during the offseason. He seems pretty much like the Cook we saw last year.

Anyway, we'll take him, right?? :-)
Vlad
Vlad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-09-14, 17:05

Vlad wrote:
MiamiSpartan wrote:

I think you've captured the OP's point - that there doesn't seem to be the year-over-year improvement you'd expect, or that you read about during the offseason. He seems pretty much like the Cook we saw last year.

Yeah and he had an NFL RB and two NFL WRs to work with last year.

I guess my point was if he was truly as good a QB as I heard he was going to be, I'd expect better overall performances.

Like why can't he execute a screen and why does he NEVER look to run.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Death Roe 2015-09-14, 17:07

Rocinante wrote:Even when you're right it comes off douchey.

He's a moran.
Death Roe
Death Roe
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-09-14, 17:07

That 4th down pass to Burbridge down to the 5 or 6 was insane. Not five guys in all of football could have put it through that window at that velocity with that timing. If anyone is saying that Cook could have made that throw as a sophomore you didn't see that throw. Sheldon had a third down drive killer bounce off his chest where cook threw it low in a perfect spot. Two other drops on the sidelines bounce off of hands and NFL scouts know those are caught on Sunday.

Cook also has some sale on him and can only be categorized as bad throws. But he only made one real bad decision Saturday. He's improved year to year. For the drops we've seen so far and for the few that got away from him, if he continues to get better we have a legit shot at osu. If you just look at the first td, that pass was perfect. Outside low and on Prices break where either he catches it or nobody does. Last year that might be chest high and while it might be a TD, a quick DB has a shot at it.

He's shown me a ton of improvement over the tears and he's not doing it for a living. Imagine it's his job 24/7 with no college classes to go to? His arm and body size? Shit that's a first rounder.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan 2015-09-14, 17:46

Vlad wrote:

He was better on Saturday than he was against Oregon last year, so yes there is year over year improvement.

The_Dude wrote:Yeah and he had an NFL RB and two NFL WRs to work with last year.

I guess my point was if he was truly as good a QB as I heard he was going to be, I'd expect better overall performances.

How "good" did you hear that he'd be? That he'd be a 80% passer, throwing for 400 yards/game? He's not playing in Oregon or FSU's system. What he is, is 2-0 for the #4 team in the country and just beat a Top 10 opponent.

As for screens, if that's how you judge QBs, so be it. As for running, personally, I don't want our third year starter, potential first round draft pick QB running a whole lot, especially in early September when we have the lead. Have it in the tool box if we need it, but why send him looking for contact when we don't need it?
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-09-14, 18:16

MiamiSpartan wrote:
Vlad wrote:

He was better on Saturday than he was against Oregon last year, so yes there is year over year improvement.

The_Dude wrote:Yeah and he had an NFL RB and two NFL WRs to work with last year.

How "good" did you hear that he'd be? That he'd be a 80% passer, throwing for 400 yards/game? He's not playing in Oregon or FSU's system. What he is, is 2-0 for the #4 team in the country and just beat a Top 10 opponent.

As for screens, if that's how you judge QBs, so be it. As for running, personally, I don't want our third year starter, potential first round draft pick QB running a whole lot, especially in early September when we have the lead. Have it in the tool box if we need it, but why send him looking for contact when we don't need it?

Excecuting screens are major part of any pro style offense and we NEVER run any...why?

We also desperately need more WRs to step up...Arnett looks the part, does he just suck or what?
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan 2015-09-14, 19:55

Jesus effin' Christ, you've been posting longer than cooks been playing college ball and you haven't posted well yet.

Took less than 24 hours for the pseudo fan to start trolling again.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-09-14, 20:53

GRR Spartan wrote:Jesus effin' Christ, you've been posting longer than cooks been playing college ball and you haven't posted well yet.

Took less than 24 hours for the pseudo fan to start trolling again.

No
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Herbie Green 2015-09-14, 22:21

I felt like we should have put up at least 7 more points and won by at least 10. But I am not going to be greedy.

I wasn't impressed with the playcalling. Maybe too conservative. I admit I am not qualified to make that judgement but it seemed very predictable. We were going to run on first down or short yardage and then throw on 2nd and 3rd and long. If we would have done more play action when run was expected I think Cook puts up better numbers. Perhaps the staff got overconfident in MSU's ability to control the line of scrimmage and went with the low risk strategy. Gotta credit them they have proven they know how to win the games. But it damn near bit us in the ass.
The last two or three drives were brutal whether it was playcalling or execution. On the flip side, it was great to win with defense and I think I actually like that more than a shootout. But I would really just like to put a team away so I could f*cking relax at the end for once!
Herbie Green
Herbie Green
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-09-14, 22:54

You should be able to relax plenty with these cupcakes coming up Herbie
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-09-14, 22:57

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:You should be able to relax plenty with these cupcakes coming up Herbie

I worry way more about Air Force than Central.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-09-14, 23:03

I have no problem with the point of the OP. It's his history that makes it a dubious point. It's kinda similar to Vlad. No offense to either of you dudes. 

When someone like - in the old days of the RCMB - mentalstate or Victory Bell - come in after a loss and tell you why no one should be concerned, I'm sure dudes like you guys shake your heads at them and think they're fooling themselves. They are the SBs, for lack of a better term. 

You don't have any more insight than they do. You just have a different outlook on things. That's not bad or good. It just "is". 

Please stop thinking that because you are willing to criticize you have special insight into things. You don't.

That said, you are free to opine on whatever you think you see. I think I saw a B+/A- defensive effort and a C effort from our offense. And I agree that Cook wasn't very good.
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next