Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Games Ever Played at Spartan Stadium

+14
Nordic
GRR Spartan
Pervis Muldoon
Cameron
Travis of the Cosmos
duffy munn
MiamiSpartan
aualum06
NigelUno
DWags
Motown Spartan
Trapper Gus
Floyd Robertson
Turtleneck
18 posters

Go down

Best Games Ever Played at Spartan Stadium  Empty Best Games Ever Played at Spartan Stadium

Post by Turtleneck Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:52 pm

Solari's Ten. What do you got?

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/michigan-state/spartans/2023/08/20/michigan-state-football-spartan-stadium-best-games-moments/70448415007/

I don't have much other than the 1995 UM game. Late kickoff, cold, a little snowy, a D Mason punt return for a TD plus an incredible catch over a freshman Woodson. Banks to Muhammad. Scotty Greene. Reese, Reaves, Kanu on defense. It was a game.

Last edited by Turtleneck on Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Best Games Ever Played at Spartan Stadium  Empty Re: Best Games Ever Played at Spartan Stadium

Post by Floyd Robertson Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:56 pm

The first half of the very first game against PSU (93?) when Batman Holman was running free everywhere.

The second half is among the worst games ever in Spartan Stadium.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

tGreenWay and duffy munn like this post

Back to top Go down

Best Games Ever Played at Spartan Stadium  Empty Re: Best Games Ever Played at Spartan Stadium

Post by Trapper Gus Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:00 pm

Agree with 1 & 2 ...

Think there should be more of Biggy's exceptional teams in there.
Trapper Gus
Trapper Gus
Geronte
Geronte

https://www.dailykos.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Motown Spartan Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:08 pm

1995 Michigan
2001 Michigan
2010 Notre Dame
2011 Wisconsin

For me at least.
Motown Spartan
Motown Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:10 pm

We need DWags to add some pre WWI games to the list.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Trapper Gus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:17 pm

Turtleneck wrote:We need DWags to add some pre WWI games to the list.

I was at 7 of these games. As a 12 year old (13 the next Saturday) when Levi went house on OSU.  My favorite was TJ. If that picture panned ten yards to the right I’d have been in it.  I was the first civilian in the pile of players.   Lost my flip phone.  Student from msu called me Monday. She had it.  That night at the bar I believe the Yankees lost to Arizona. in the WS. Glorious day.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:29 pm

I don't know if there's a difference between best games and most significant games.

But I'm gonna have a hard time coming up with a better game than 2021 vs. Michigan.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

duffy munn, DWags, Turtleneck and aualum06 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:21 pm

NigelUno wrote:I don't know if there's a difference between best games and most significant games.

But I'm gonna have a hard time coming up with a better game than 2021 vs. Michigan.

That, rocket, and little giants probably my top 3. Penn State 2 two hundred yard rushers, Michigan 95, 01. MSU 49 Wisconsin 14 get me to 7
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:41 pm

The -48 yard game versus Michigan was absolute poetry. I don’t know if you can label that the best game but damn it was a thing of beauty.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, Turtleneck, Trapper Gus and aualum06 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:53 pm

DWags wrote:The -48 yard game versus Michigan was absolute poetry. I don’t know if you can label that the best game but damn it was a thing of beauty.

Larry Caper OT win too
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

DWags and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:07 pm

Jesus, we've had some incredible games. Reading through these, every time I think I have a top game, another one is mentioned that I have to rethink about.

The Drive of 95 gets a sentimental vote because I was there. But -48 is one of my favorite games ever as I'm a defense nut. But them there's 01 in 01, Rocket, Little Giants, and just so so so many more.

I can't pick 10, let alone try to rank them.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

DWags, Turtleneck, Trapper Gus and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:06 pm

NigelUno wrote:I don't know if there's a difference between best games and most significant games.

I thought for sure Kenneth Walker won the Heisman trophy that day. and know damn well he would have if he was wearing a winged helmet.
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron, MiamiSpartan, DWags, Trapper Gus, Nordic and aualum06 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by aualum06 Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:25 pm

duffy munn wrote:

I thought for sure Kenneth Walker won the Heisman trophy that day. and know damn well he would have if he was wearing a winged helmet.

Still such bullshit he was snubbed
aualum06
aualum06
Spartiate

duffy munn, DWags, Trapper Gus, Nordic and Rick Saunders like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:40 pm

2004 Spring Game what a day to be alive
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Turtleneck and Pervis Muldoon like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cameron Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:11 pm

Little Giants because I was there, which is quite rare for me.
Cameron
Cameron
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Pervis Muldoon Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:21 pm

DWags wrote:
Turtleneck wrote:We need DWags to add some pre WWI games to the list.

Lost my flip phone.  Student from msu called me Monday. She had it.

When she called you, did she answer?
Pervis Muldoon
Pervis Muldoon
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by GRR Spartan Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:24 pm

My best memory was November 17 1987 MSU v IU (27-3 win) on a sunny 65 degree day that clinched the Rose Bowl. Same year the boys beat umaa 17-11 in EL.

My father-in-law retired that June and we got him a pair of season tickets because he has always worked Saturdays for 36 years.  It was a great last home game and we were wearing shot sleeves and ball caps.
GRR Spartan
GRR Spartan
Geronte
Geronte

Floyd Robertson, Turtleneck and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:37 pm

DWags wrote:The -48 yard game versus Michigan was absolute poetry. I don’t know if you can label that the best game but damn it was a thing of beauty.

I forgot about that. -48 is an amazing level of domination.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:46 pm

Motown Spartan wrote:1995 Michigan
2001 Michigan
2010 Notre Dame
2011 Wisconsin

For me at least.  

Last edited by duffy munn on Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:48 pm

I don’t think that 2015 oregon gets enough credit. It’s not the best game but it was pretty great
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

InTenSity and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:01 pm

Motown Spartan wrote:1995 Michigan
2001 Michigan
2010 Notre Dame
2011 Wisconsin

For me at least.  

The two games against Wisconsin that year were college football at it's best. And even though we lost, the game in Indy was the best college game I've ever seen live
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:06 pm

MiamiSpartan wrote:Jesus, we've had some incredible games.  Reading through these, every time I think I have a top game, another one is mentioned that I have to rethink about.

The Drive of 95 gets a sentimental vote because I was there.  But -48 is one of my favorite games ever as I'm a defense nut.  But them there's 01 in 01, Rocket, Little Giants, and just so so so many more.  

I can't pick 10, let alone try to rank them.

It doesn’t suck to be a Spartan. Being a underdog can be fun.

I’m turrible with dates and scores. Here my pics of games that I’ve been too in somewhat of an order…

Wisky/Nickels catch

UofM - Gardner -48 massacre. Probably the funnest game to watch. Despite the score being close, the game was never in doubt. Never felt so at ease at big game. Pure joy watching or front 7 work.

UofM - when they stopped the clock when they shouldn’t have

ND - Herb Haywood

ND - Little Giants

UofM - KWIII

Oregon - Amp Campbell scoop and score. What an emotional/comeback moment, place went nuts.

PSU - That time it snowed… and the other time it snowed… and the time it rained and was really fucking cold.

TJ Duckett Running Shoeless Down the Sideline - Might of been another PSU game, I can’t remember. I just have a memory of TJ running toward our end zone with his sock flapping and they still couldn’t tackle him.

Iowa Shonn Greene Stop - Year 3ish. 4th and short, time running out, Iowa going into score. LB (can’t remember who) doesn’t fall for the FB lead, Greene gets a pitch out and the LB makes a beautiful open field tackle to win the game. It was that game that I realized our D was gonna be legit.

UofM - Plax destroying David Terrell

Boise - They were still a bit of a giant killer. Friday night. Bell’s coming out party.

Last edited by Nordic on Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan, duffy munn, DWags, Turtleneck, gomersbro and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:13 pm

You know we didn’t win but I recall that 2014 osu game as being a pretty good one. I took a limo from Detroit to the game, it was one of the more memorable tailgates we had in a sea of tailgates to look back on, so that could just be a personal thing
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

DWags likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:24 pm

Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan, DWags, AvgMSUJoe and Trapper Gus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gomersbro Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:27 pm

Nordic i, was just going to post 1999 Oregon. Set the table for the great season and made for a Hollywood style ending for Amp.
gomersbro
Spartiate

DWags, Turtleneck and Nordic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:28 pm

Delete. Dbl post fail.

Last edited by Nordic on Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Nordic Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:29 pm

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don’t think that 2015 oregon gets enough credit. It’s not the best game but it was pretty great

I should remember this game. Huge win. But I can’t. I tend to remember moments more than actual games.
Nordic
Nordic
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:30 am

Nordic wrote:
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:I don’t think that 2015 oregon gets enough credit. It’s not the best game but it was pretty great

I should remember this game. Huge win. But I can’t. I tend to remember moments more than actual games.

I remember the Oregon QB missing a wide open WR with 1:24 to go.

NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:50 am

NigelUno wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I just happen to watch that receiver the whole way. Yelled, “fu..”. The quarterback had missed some preseason practice due to a math class from a junior college. She was at I believe. I wonder if five or 10 more days of timing would you change the outcome of that game?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:26 am

DWags wrote:
NigelUno wrote:

I just happen to watch that receiver the whole way.  Yelled, “fu..”. The quarterback had missed some preseason practice due to a math class from a junior college. She was at I believe. I wonder if five or 10 more days of timing would you change the outcome of that game?

The sigh of relief was very loud that night.

Single coverage.  CB slipped.  And on the next play, we sent the CB on a blitz and the safety covered that same guy.  He was open underneath and probably would have picked up the first down.  I don't think the shorty QB looked that way though.  Got sacked.  

What a great year.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:47 am

NigelUno wrote:
Nordic wrote:

I just happen to watch that receiver the whole way. Yelled, “fu..”. The quarterback had missed some preseason practice due to a math class from a junior college. She was at I believe. I wonder if five or 10 more days of timing would you change the outcome of that game?
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tGreenWay Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:03 am

Happy to see Solari include the ‘87 Indiana game. That was a special night.
tGreenWay
tGreenWay
Geronte
Geronte
Swill Pick 'em 2022 Regular Season Champion

duffy munn and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:43 pm

not necessarily in the "big game" category, but it was a good one - October 9th, 1999. We beat #3 UM 34-31.

Big game, obviously - but the significant thing for me was that our daughter was born at 3:12 AM that morning at Sparrow. A pregnancy complication necessitated a C-section 9 weeks early. So there was some stress, some panic. Things went well and they whisk our kid away to the NICU, my poor wife was a mess physically and emotionally.

But it helped for us to watch the game 3 miles down Michigan Ave from her hospital room and see MSU take down #3 UM.

Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

MiamiSpartan, tGreenWay, duffy munn, DWags and gomersbro like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:23 pm

Robert J Sakimano wrote:not necessarily in the "big game" category, but it was a good one - October 9th, 1999. We beat #3 UM 34-31.

Big game, obviously - but the significant thing for me was that our daughter was born at 3:12 AM that morning at Sparrow. A pregnancy complication necessitated a C-section 9 weeks early. So there was some stress, some panic. Things went well and they whisk our kid away to the NICU, my poor wife was a mess physically and emotionally.

But it helped for us to watch the game 3 miles down Michigan Ave from her hospital room and see MSU take down #3 UM.

Very cool story Bob. It's funny how sporting events can sometimes make our worries go away for a second and we remember some huge life events by a certain game or games.

For example, whenever my Dad was asked about 1963 he always immediately answered that his Loyola Ramblers won the NCAA basketball title. When I would mention I was born that year he would simply say: "I know".
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:35 pm

duffy munn wrote:
Robert J Sakimano wrote:not necessarily in the "big game" category, but it was a good one - October 9th, 1999. We beat #3 UM 34-31.

Very cool story Bob. It's funny how sporting events can sometimes make our worries go away for a second and we remember some huge life events by a certain game or games.

For example, whenever my Dad was asked about 1963 he always immediately answered that his Loyola Ramblers won the NCAA basketball title. When I would mention I was born that year he would simply say: "I know".

Similar story in 97 my first was born a d the Packers and the Red Wings won championships . In 2000 my second one was born and Michigan State won a national championship. And no, we aren’t having any more kids.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and duffy munn like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by duffy munn Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:48 pm

DWags wrote:
duffy munn wrote:

Similar story in 97 my first was born a d the Packers and the Red Wings won championships . In 2000 my second one was born and Michigan State won a national championship. And no, we aren’t having any more kids.

Grand kids will work Wags
duffy munn
Geronte
Geronte

Cameron and DWags like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:35 am

I went to the game when Chris Rucker was fresh out of jail
And on the field. I stood and cheered him that day and was happy to see him get a second chance.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by MiamiSpartan Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:04 am

Great story! My daughter was born a few hours before we lost to George Mason in the first round 2006. So not a game to remember, but I've never cared so little about an MSU tournament loss.

As for great games with a memorable tie in to life, it's not a Spartan Stadium game (so I don't mean to hijack), but I got my MSU acceptance letter the day of the No 1. vs No one, Desmond trip game.
MiamiSpartan
MiamiSpartan
Geronte
Geronte

Robert J Sakimano and gomersbro like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down