Spartan Swill
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else feel like their interest in college sports is decreasing?

+24
Death Roe
Tim Wakefield
Herbie Green
InTenSity
tGreenWay
The_Dude
Jack N Coke
Watch Out Pylon!
Robert J Sakimano
Blanch32
y2kMgrad
steveschneider
Travis of the Cosmos
CORNER BLITZ
Code_Warrior
tig ol bitties
Turtleneck
Rocinante
DWags
Other Teams Pursuing That
Floyd Robertson
NigelUno
WhiteBoyHatcher
Giant Moose
28 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Anyone else feel like their interest in college sports is decreasing? Empty Anyone else feel like their interest in college sports is decreasing?

Post by Giant Moose 2015-11-11, 18:07

I kind of feel like I did about the NBA when officiating just completely took over the game, which culminated in the Tim Donaghy scandal where cheating was actually proven. I barely gave the NBA a second thought for like a decade, and I feel like that could happen to college sports given what's been seen lately in college hoops and football.

Plus MSU doesn't play certain conference football teams for years and we have situations like this year in hoops where we don't see Michigan twice. And a supposedly impartial committee having Alabama #2 despite losing to a mediocre Ole Miss just seems wrong.

Last edited by Giant Moose on 2015-11-11, 18:10; edited 2 times in total
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Anyone else feel like their interest in college sports is decreasing? Empty Re: Anyone else feel like their interest in college sports is decreasing?

Post by WhiteBoyHatcher 2015-11-11, 18:08

No
WhiteBoyHatcher
WhiteBoyHatcher
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Anyone else feel like their interest in college sports is decreasing? Empty Re: Anyone else feel like their interest in college sports is decreasing?

Post by NigelUno 2015-11-11, 18:10

My interest in your posts is decreasing.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-11-11, 18:10

No
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-11-11, 18:13

The 2013 Notre Dame game and Nebraska brought me back to the days when the Pistons were getting jobbed by Jordan's NBA.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-11-11, 18:25

My interest isn't decreasing yet but I could see it as a definite possibility down the road as the commercialization of college sports goes up and up.

I think daily fantasy has me completely checked out of the NFL.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by DWags 2015-11-11, 18:26

Why can't we have professional refs? 150-200K a year. They have a daily workout film study and grading system. They aren't teachers or engineers or lawyers during the week. The officiate.

The big ten makes millions.

Won't stop bad calls. But I bet there are less.
DWags
DWags
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-11-11, 18:28

DWags wrote:Why can't we have professional refs? 150-200K a year. They have a daily workout film study and grading system. They aren't teachers or engineers or lawyers during the week. The officiate.

With all of the money in these games why the hell hasn't this happened yet? The ADs that greedy?
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocinante 2015-11-11, 18:31

I have been losing interest in sports in general for the last 10 years. I still will watch MSU when I can, but it doesn't consume my Saturdays like it used to. Sorry guys.
Rocinante
Rocinante
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Giant Moose 2015-11-11, 18:37

Rocinante wrote:I have been losing interest in sports in general for the last 10 years. I still will watch MSU when I can, but it doesn't consume my Saturdays like it used to. Sorry guys.
Well to be fair, you do live in a state where there are no sports teams.
Giant Moose
Giant Moose
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-11-11, 19:08

Rocinante wrote:I have been losing interest in sports in general for the last 10 years. I still will watch MSU when I can, but it doesn't consume my Saturdays like it used to. Sorry guys.

Giant Moose wrote:
Well to be fair, you do live in a state where there are no sports teams.

Pretty sure Casper College has a good rodeo team.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by tig ol bitties 2015-11-11, 19:23

massively decreasing. Refs are playing a small part, but it mostly other things.

College BBall is AWFUL to watch (hopefully the 30 second shot clock will help, but probably not). Long, boring, possessions where teams take 15/20 seconds before they even attempt to get into a set. Way too many teams walk the ball up the court and slow the game down as a part of their system. I get it, it is smart coaching for "less talented" teams to decrease the # of possessions to give them a better chance to win. I just hate watching it. Also, the game is 40 minutes long. It shouldn't take 2.5 hours to watch a game on TV.

tig ol bitties
tig ol bitties
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-11-11, 19:27

I think football and basketball are losing ground to quidditch.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2015-11-11, 19:36

No, just the opposite, mostly because MSU has been in the NC hunt for many years now and that's made me watch a lot more college football to get perspective on how good other conferences are.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-11-11, 19:38

Code_Warrior wrote:No, just the opposite, mostly because MSU has been in the NC hunt for many years now and that's made me watch a lot more college football to get perspective on how good other conferences are.

Yeah, now might be the worst possible time to lose interest.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by CORNER BLITZ 2015-11-11, 20:42

outside of MSU yes

was thinking about that this past weekend before our game...that this year I don't think I've actually watched an entire non-MSU college football game. I'll want to watch other games but as I watch I either get pissed about some shitty call or some shitty announcing and need to change the channel to another game for 10 minutes before I repeat the entire process.
CORNER BLITZ
CORNER BLITZ
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-11, 20:53

Something something something Russell Byrd something something something
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-11-11, 20:57

Travis of the Cosmos wrote:Something something something Russell Byrd something something something

https://spartanswill.forumotion.com/t8746-tofficial-sioux-falls-skyforce-2015-16-thread
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-11-11, 21:29

College sports I'm definitely losing interest in. There's just too much bull shit and greed. For football they've softened the schedules, diluted the conferences, and the political evaluation process of who can make the playoff$ is a joke. Call me up when actual head to head matchups determine who can qualify for an NCAA Championship. Call me up when the sport allows for a cinderella story over a non traditional power.

College Basketball was pure gold and they completely F'D it up with the rule changes. Too many free throws, too many stoppages and too many time outs. The last minute of a college basketball game is the worst. They say baseball needs to be sped up, I say BULLSHIT. Speed up the last minute of a college basketball game.

steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kMgrad 2015-11-11, 21:47

No. If anything it's increasing. I watch as much as I can. Hell I'm watching Western play Bowling Green right now and I don't know anything about either of these teams except ROW THE BOAT. Anyone else feel like their interest in college sports is decreasing? 502811600
y2kMgrad
y2kMgrad
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-11-11, 21:55

Giant Moose wrote:I kind of feel like I did about the NBA when officiating just completely took over the game, which culminated in the Tim Donaghy scandal where cheating was actually proven. I barely gave the NBA a second thought for like a decade, and I feel like that could happen to college sports given what's been seen lately in college hoops and football.

Plus MSU doesn't play certain conference football teams for years and we have situations like this year in hoops where we don't see Michigan twice. And a supposedly impartial committee having Alabama #2 despite losing to a mediocre Ole Miss just seems wrong.

Definitely and mainly bc I've seen everything msu can actually obtain in my lifetime. Sorry folks but we aren't in the chosen few who can win a natty in football. We just aren't. Sorry look no further than last weekend. Delaney decided it much better for the conference for Nebraska to make a bowl game than two undefeated big ten teams meet 2nd to last game of the season. 100% proof.

Same will happen to bball when izzo retires and I'll just go with him. College basketball reffing is such a sick pathetic joke it's not funny. WWE refs are more competent
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Blanch32 2015-11-11, 21:57

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:
DWags wrote:Why can't we have professional refs? 150-200K a year. They have a daily workout film study and grading system. They aren't teachers or engineers or lawyers during the week. The officiate.

With all of the money in these games why the hell hasn't this happened yet? The ADs that greedy?

This. Plus they should only make like 60, and be nothing but respected former league players. I could take jess settles calling a post foul over that short fat old guy
Blanch32
Blanch32
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-11-12, 07:36

officiating.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Turtleneck 2015-11-12, 08:41

gHost Spartan wrote:Don't both college and professional refs have day jobs?

I think they suck at those, too.
Turtleneck
Turtleneck
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Watch Out Pylon! 2015-11-12, 09:30

Giant Moose wrote:I kind of feel like I did about the NBA when officiating just completely took over the game, which culminated in the Tim Donaghy scandal where cheating was actually proven. I barely gave the NBA a second thought for like a decade, and I feel like that could happen to college sports given what's been seen lately in college hoops and football.

And your obsession with former MSU basketball players is increasing. Weird, right?
Watch Out Pylon!
Watch Out Pylon!
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack N Coke 2015-11-12, 11:15

gHost Spartan wrote:Don't both college and professional refs have day jobs?

According to Sporting News NFL refs don't need day jobs if they do have them. Made $149,000 back in 2012 and increased to $173,000 in 2013.
(Won't let me post the link, too new still.)
Jack N Coke
Jack N Coke
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-11-12, 11:18

Robert J Sakimano wrote:officiating.

Delaney
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Dude 2015-11-12, 11:20

In all seriousness...kind of.  I still follow MSU sports and root like heck for them...but losing just doesn't affect me anymore.  I was out partying for the NU game and when we lost I was feeling down for like 5 minutes, then realized I was out with a group of friends having a great time and shrugged it off.

I guess its all relative to your expectations.  I don't expect MSU to really compete for national titles in football.  I just want them to be relevant which we are.  And the 2013 season was the crown jewel...ruining OSUs title chances, going 9-0 and winning the Rose Bowl.  Im glad I got to see a season like that.
The_Dude
The_Dude
Pet Troll
Pet Troll

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-12, 11:28

The_Dude wrote:In all seriousness...kind of.  I still follow MSU sports and root like heck for them...but losing just doesn't affect me anymore.  I was out partying for the NU game and when we lost I was feeling down for like 5 minutes, then realized I was out with a group of friends having a great time and shrugged it off.

I guess its all relative to your expectations.  I don't expect MSU to really compete for national titles in football.  I just want them to be relevant which we are.  And the 2013 season was the crown jewel...ruining OSUs title chances, going 9-0 and winning the Rose Bowl.  Im glad I got to see a season like that.

Not being upset about it is not your interest level or your expectations. Anyone that let's the results of a game that they have no say in who wins legitimately impact their mental state for more than a few minutes or so really needs to evaluate their life.

Maybe the Michigan game for like a day. Anything longer than that is tying their self worth up too much in something they don't control.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Other Teams Pursuing That 2015-11-12, 11:47

Stop calling me out, Trav.
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-11-12, 11:48

My interest in pro sports is decreasing. Is that part of this poll?
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd Robertson 2015-11-12, 11:51

NigelUno wrote:My interest in pro sports is decreasing.  Is that part of this poll?

Start a new poll.  My interest in pro sports is at an all-time low.
Floyd Robertson
Floyd Robertson
Geronte
Geronte

Location : Rolling Hills Alcoholic Rehabilitation Center: Where They Don't Beat You or Anything

Back to top Go down

Post by Travis of the Cosmos 2015-11-12, 12:13

Other Teams Pursuing That wrote:Stop calling me out, Trav.

Did you post that you were hyper upset? Sorry. Missed that. I think that develops as you age and watch your teams lose a lot too.
Travis of the Cosmos
Travis of the Cosmos
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-11-12, 12:17

Floyd Robertson wrote:
NigelUno wrote:My interest in pro sports is decreasing.  Is that part of this poll?

Start a new poll.  My interest in pro sports is at an all-time low.

Can you do it? People get really mad when I do it.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Code_Warrior 2015-11-12, 12:17

NigelUno wrote:My interest in pro sports is decreasing. Is that part of this poll?
My interest in pro football has dropped dramatically, mostly due to the Lions, but I will watch the Super Bowl. That being said, I do watch the Lions if I've got nothing else to do on Sundays. I'm a bandwagon Pistons fan, and I don't get on that bandwagon until they win a playoff series. I pay attention to the Tigers a little bit, but lose interest when they suck. The NHL is the only pro sport that I watch consistently, and the only pro sport that I'll watch other teams play (mostly original six). I've watched the Red Wings since I was a kid when they were on channel 50 and Bruce Martin and Sid Abel were doing the games. I watched them all through the dead wings era (Except while attending MSU). When I moved to Cincinnati in 1988, I installed a 9ft. C/KU band satellite dish so that I could watch wild feeds of the Red Wings games. It's really the only pro sport that I watch consistently whether the Wings are good or not.
Code_Warrior
Code_Warrior
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-11-12, 12:33

Code_Warrior wrote:
My interest in pro football has dropped dramatically, mostly due to the Lions, but I will watch the Super Bowl.  That being said, I do watch the Lions if I've got nothing else to do on Sundays.  I'm a bandwagon Pistons fan, and I don't get on that bandwagon until they win a playoff series.  I pay attention to the Tigers a little bit, but lose interest when they suck.  The NHL is the only pro sport that I watch consistently, and the only pro sport that I'll watch other teams play (mostly original six).  I've watched the Red Wings since I was a kid when they were on channel 50 and Bruce Martin and Sid Abel were doing the games.  I watched them all through the dead wings era (Except while attending MSU).  When I moved to Cincinnati in 1988, I installed a 9ft. C/KU band satellite dish so that I could watch wild feeds of the Red Wings games.  It's really the only pro sport that I watch consistently whether the Wings are good or not.

My interest in all sports fluctuates.

I was a hockey nut in the 80's and parts of the 90's. Once they got rid of the traditional conferences, added the fox trax puck and all the iconic Canadian teams moved south I gave up. haven't watched in years.

My all time favorite era of basketball is the NBA in the 80's and college doesn't even come close. Once the league pussified the game for Michael Jordan I lost interest.

I got more into college hoops after the NBA went down hill, but the rule changes has killed off my interest to a degree. I still watch the conference season could care less about the non conference schedule outside of the marquee matchups.

For CFB, the conclusion of the season (still rely too heavily on polls and committees that favor traditional powers) is unsatisfying. I prefer sports where an unlikely Cinderella story can happen. Doesn't happen in CFB. That and they've diluted the schedules and the conferences where about 85% of the schedule holds little interest to me. That an most of the games are at night time, given the option of watching Rutgers vs MSU or going out on the town I go out. I missed MSU vs. Rutgers and MSU vs Neb because of the start times. Did not regret missing either game.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-11-12, 12:35

I'll also add, the NBA playoffs has been incredible over the last 5-6 years. I'm not a fan, but I do credit Lebron James for making them a lot of fun to watch.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by steveschneider 2015-11-12, 12:36

And one more thing, I believe Coach K is everything that is wrong with college sports.
steveschneider
steveschneider
Spartiate

Back to top Go down

Post by NigelUno 2015-11-12, 12:43

This is why pro sports sucks:

Braves traded a ton of players (and dumped salaries) and basically gave up on the 2015 season (trying to sell the idea that they had to do it in order to compete in 2017 in a new stadium).

So, attendance went way down and revenue went way down...but they actually made more money (profit) because they had a lower payroll. So, their corporate overlords are happy.
NigelUno
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Robert J Sakimano 2015-11-12, 12:45

I just know that if my daughter (sorry For bin) doesn't go to MSU, she'd better find somewhere else to go on holiday breaks... she's not comin' home.
Robert J Sakimano
Robert J Sakimano
Geronte
Geronte

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next